• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best High School Coaches in Arkansas?

Started by Say When, April 16, 2014, 02:02:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Say When

Very curious what your thoughts are about the High School coaches around the state.  We all know that great players make coaches look better than they really are I have been able to watch a lot of teams/coaches over the last several years.  There are some really good HS coaches out there but the many of them cant spell softball! 

Thoughts and rankings anyone?

Say When

I am going to throw out a couple that would make my list from what I have seen maybe break the ice a little bit.

Brookland Coach
Cabot Coach
Bauxite Coach

Earl is my Hero!!

I think one of the hallmarks of a great coach is having success on the field year in and year out. Sure, every now and then a great team falls into the lap of even the most run of the mill coach, but the top coaches find success more often than not.

Along those lines, I'd have to say one of the best is Coach Osnes at Farmington. He has won his share of titles, but even when they don't win it all, his teams generally win district and perform well at regionals and state.

Coach Shirey has also done well since his arrival at Fayetteville, although his team is having a rough go of it this year. I think this is the first season he will not finish 1st or 2nd in the 7A West.

Coach Early at Bentonville has also done well. Since his arrival, Bentonville has finished no lower than 3rd (once) and has been 1st or 2nd every other year.

Someone mentioned the Cabot coach. I am assuming they mean the lady that retired. She seemed to always do a fine job. I know Cabot's current coach has had success at other schools, but hasn't been at Cabot very long.

BBRB

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 16, 2014, 04:23:09 pm
I think one of the hallmarks of a great coach is having success on the field year in and year out. Sure, every now and then a great team falls into the lap of even the most run of the mill coach, but the top coaches find success more often than not.

Along those lines, I'd have to say one of the best is Coach Osnes at Farmington. He has won his share of titles, but even when they don't win it all, his teams generally win district and perform well at regionals and state.

Coach Shirey has also done well since his arrival at Fayetteville, although his team is having a rough go of it this year. I think this is the first season he will not finish 1st or 2nd in the 7A West.

Coach Early at Bentonville has also done well. Since his arrival, Bentonville has finished no lower than 3rd (once) and has been 1st or 2nd every other year.

Someone mentioned the Cabot coach. I am assuming they mean the lady that retired. She seemed to always do a fine job. I know Cabot's current coach has had success at other schools, but hasn't been at Cabot very long.
That is Coach Cope at Cabot...Had a couple of titles at Dardanelle and one at Searcy I think.  Maybe his second season at Cabot but they show BIG improvement from week to week

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: BBRB on April 17, 2014, 08:07:16 am
That is Coach Cope at Cabot...Had a couple of titles at Dardanelle and one at Searcy I think.  Maybe his second season at Cabot but they show BIG improvement from week to week

I remember Dardanelle during that run. They had a standout pitcher, red-headed girl, that had more to do with those titles than coaching. Not saying he isn't a good coach, but hard to build the year to year consistency when you're at your third school in four years.

I look at coaches like the ones mentioned earlier and guys like Harper at Rogers. Coach Harper has been at Rogers forever. Won a title in 2000, suffered through the school split, and has re-built his program, making a return trip to the title game last season.

To me, those are signs of good coaches...

hitemgogetem

There are a lot of intangibles that make up a great coach.  And in my opinion wins should be the last thing that is taken into consideration ( I may be in the minority here.......)   Those coaches that show great effort, attitude and preparation usually have teams that show the same.  If those factors are a part of their daily routine, the wins will come....and not at the expense of the players that win the games.....

In my mind the best coaches are ones that rank high (in no particular order) Player/program development, player loyalty, relationship with the community programs, relationship with college coaches, and respect from other coaches/players. 

The AAA record holder for career coaching wins and conference coaching wins would rank at the bottom of any of these categories in my opinion.

If a player leaves a program a better player than when they entered (whether they're playing at the next level or not) then shake that coaches hand and say 'thank you' for their time and efforts.

My apologies for not knowing names, but the coaches I've seen that jump out at me that show these qualities are Russellville, Cabot, & Bentonville (agian in no particular order)

birdman1981

April 17, 2014, 02:22:41 pm #6 Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 02:25:59 pm by birdman1981
Harley Sisson, Russellville.  Have attended several camps where he was the lead instructor.  Man knows the fundamentals and how to teach them.  Solid.

And yeah, I'll throw Parr in there with him.  Even though he isn't coaching anymore, I watched him for two years take a bunch of Gold Level egos and produce two state championships.  That is coaching.

Kent Early, Bentonville.  Always solid and again, teaches the fundamentals.

elvis26

;D scott waymire the trumann coach is a great coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ST

what about ones that are in with the Zen?

whitefella1

Amy Teague Lake Hamilton, and Hiedi Cox  Benton

Earl is my Hero!!

I agree with Amy Teague. She has been there a long time, has had a lot of success, and managed to continue to find ways to win after one of the top pitchers the state has ever seen graduated.

Don't know much about Coach Cox. I know Benton is consistently good, but I had always thought their youth program had a lot to do with it. Kind of like the group that went through Bryant a few years ago. I attributed that success more to the kids than the coach.

Mike Love

Say When

I agree that the Early family has made a postive mark on softball in Arkansas and has to be at the top of the list.  It seems to me that with the sport growing like it has the last several years in Arkansas there are some really good new coaches making the scene that should turn into some great programs around the state.   

FunLovingPerson

This is name that might not be well known but Mike Poff is one of the best coaches around this area. Our kids love him and would do anything for him! Truly a good man and a great coach.

BBRB

Quote from: LadyBuck on April 22, 2014, 09:53:37 am
This is name that might not be well known but Mike Poff is one of the best coaches around this area. Our kids love him and would do anything for him! Truly a good man and a great coach.
Where is he?

BBRB

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 18, 2014, 08:44:25 am
I agree with Amy Teague. She has been there a long time, has had a lot of success, and managed to continue to find ways to win after one of the top pitchers the state has ever seen graduated.

Don't know much about Coach Cox. I know Benton is consistently good, but I had always thought their youth program had a lot to do with it. Kind of like the group that went through Bryant a few years ago. I attributed that success more to the kids than the coach.
There's your cue Stat.....

BBRB

There has been a HUGE impact on high school programs by voluntary assistants when they are embraced and utilized by the program....

Xmulerider

hitemgogetem

Quote from: BBRB on April 22, 2014, 11:26:55 am
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 18, 2014, 08:44:25 am

There's your cue Stat.....

I'd never speak on Stat's behalf, but I can chime in with my 2 cents......the success of that particular Bryant group that went through was COMPLETELY attributed to the kids.......With that group having moved on, it's exposed that fact more and more the last two seasons......

Valleysports

April 22, 2014, 04:00:01 pm #19 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:06:42 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on April 17, 2014, 09:04:54 am
Quote from: BBRB on April 17, 2014, 08:07:16 am

I remember Dardanelle during that run. They had a standout pitcher, red-headed girl, that had more to do with those titles than coaching. Not saying he isn't a good coach, but hard to build the year to year consistency when you're at your third school in four years.

I look at coaches like the ones mentioned earlier and guys like Harper at Rogers. Coach Harper has been at Rogers forever. Won a title in 2000, suffered through the school split, and has re-built his program, making a return trip to the title game last season.

To me, those are signs of good coaches...

If my memory serves me correct, Dardanelle won state with Cyndel Carter - they also won state with Nikki Possage (I think). There was a good class of girls starting about 2004,  Heather Canerday, Carmen Flurry.  Heather Canerday was the one player who made as much of a difference in a game as a Pitcher, playing SS, 3rd, Catcher.  Played Catcher for Henderson.  She had a bat, I remember her hitting 3 Triples against Clarksville, to win one of those State Tournaments.

gamecocks8584

April 22, 2014, 07:07:31 pm #20 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:12:31 pm by gamecocks8584
Canerday was a great talent. But she played left field at Henderson State. There are a lot of coaches in the state that are great because of the talent they have. Some y'all have mentioned. There are a lot of coaches that are great in this state. You see this because the qaulity of play in the state is jumped up tremendously.

Nip/Tusk

Mike Love

:) Dang dude, I aint coached a day since 2004, and never in high school, but thanks anyway!

Nip/Tusk

Lol. I have no idea who you are but I knew there'd be some that liked that.

Glad you took it in good fun. Have a good one.

hitemgogetem

Quote from: Mike Love on April 22, 2014, 09:39:53 pm
:) Dang dude, I aint coached a day since 2004, and never in high school, but thanks anyway!

He just didn't elaborate that 2004 is when he realized that umpires are ALWAYS right, instead of coaches every now and then.......

But.......even he pushes that envelope from time to time 

sportsfanatic18

The VB coaching staff. Former Arkansas player is the assistant. Haven't had success in the past few years because of bad apples, but last year got back on track and are on a roll this year. Wouldn't be surprised to see them win it all for the 7A.

rayzorbackfan

Sammie Massy not to bad at Benton Harmony Grove. She has been a part of 4 State Championships at BHG and who knows how many conference and regional championships.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas