• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A State Championship--Greenland vs. Harding Academy

Started by CoolBreeze, May 13, 2017, 06:49:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins the 3A State Championship?

Harding Academy
Greenland

CoolBreeze

The possible winners have been narrowed to two. Who wins--Harding Academy Wildcats or Greenland Pirates?

What do you think?

HA will probably be the favorite, since their 5 losses all came at the hands of teams from 5A and above.

Greenland's 8 were evenly divided between 3A and 4A schools, but they finished strong, winning their last 11 games. Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Pirates have very strong pitching. Am I right about that?

Should be a fine game at Baum between two deserving teams. Wish I could be there.

CoolBreeze

Has everyone lost interest in 3A baseball since they narrowed the field to two? Any Greenland or HA baseball fans out there?

FNLsupporter

Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 18, 2017, 03:21:27 pm
Has everyone lost interest in 3A baseball since they narrowed the field to two? Any Greenland or HA baseball fans out there?
It should be a good game, Greenland put up a lot of runs in the state tournament.  I feel like HA just has too much firepower through their entire lineup as there are no answers for their 1-3 hitters!  They are a solid group, and between Koch and Harlow on the mound, they should keep Greenland at bay. Good luck to the Cats.

Skip Baymore

May 19, 2017, 12:08:18 am #3 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:16:01 am by Skip Baymore
Quote from: CoolBreeze on May 18, 2017, 03:21:27 pm

Congrats to both teams for making it to the championship game in a year with a lot of depth and talent (and youth overall).  3A baseball is alive and well in Arkansas.   I don't think anyone could beat H.A. in a series but this is one game for the trophy and Greenland is a very good team.   Good luck to both teams.

RedWolf275

RabidWolf

CoolBreeze

May 19, 2017, 02:41:35 pm #7 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:05:16 pm by CoolBreeze
HA 4
Greenland 0  FINAL

Harding's 3rd Championship. Not bad for a program which has only been in existence for about 15 years.

My DVR let me down so I didn't get to watch the whole game. I only saw the top of the 7th, but the highlights and commentary indicated that the 6 errors led to some of Harding's runs. I'm not sure if they were all unearned.

Paydon Harlow pitched a complete game shutout with only 82 or 83 pitches for HA. Apparently, he did a masterful job of keeping Greenlands potent offense off-balance. Amazing, considering that they scored 39 runs in their previous three state tournament games.

The announcers said Greenland's pitcher did an excellent job as well, especially under the adverse circumstances. If you give a good team an extra out in an inning, they will make you pay. He never lost composure and held the Wildcats to 4 hits.

Addendum: According to Box Score posted on another thread, only one of Harding's runs was earned. Which means that both of Greenland's pitchers did an outstanding job against the Wildcat's potent offense.

CoolBreeze

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that both these teams could have a strong presence again next year, because both are young teams.

In fact, Harding had only one senior on their roster, the catcher. Both top pitchers will be back and barring injury should be tough on the competition again.

Greenland has 4, but with incomplete stats it's impossible to tell how many were major contributors.

Skip Baymore

May 20, 2017, 12:08:24 am #9 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:31:01 am by Skip Baymore
Congratulations again to H.A. and Greenland.  Extremely good pitching from both teams.  Harlow and the Wildcats held Greenland scoreless for only the second time this year (according to MaxPreps).  And to hold H.A. to only 4 runs, while having 6 errors in the game might be just as impressive a pitching effort from Greenland.  H.A. if I counted right, had a perfect record of 28-0 against anybody under 5A.  That, is an impressive season.  And both of these teams should be in the thick of it next year.  H.A. with only one senior on the roster.

oasistrader

May 20, 2017, 11:57:39 am #10 Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:59:45 am by oasistrader
Greenland obviously had a very good team.Not sure HA would have beaten Riverside with Gavin Stone pitching,had the two played,but we'll never know.It might have been a real nail biter.

Eagle25

Quote from: oasistrader on May 20, 2017, 11:57:39 am
Greenland obviously had a very good team.Not sure HA would have beaten Riverside with Gavin Stone pitching,had the two played,but we'll never know.It might have been a real nail biter.

Gotta have more than one dominate pitcher to win State. Stone is good but State usually comes down to which team has the best #3 or #4 pitcher.  HA was the best team in 3A this year without a doubt from start to finish, sometimes the title comes down to the team that gets hot at the right time, but this year HA finished the season as strong as they started it. They will be the team to beat next year as well.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Eagle25 on May 22, 2017, 06:10:20 am
Gotta have more than one dominate pitcher to win State. Stone is good but State usually comes down to which team has the best #3 or #4 pitcher.  HA was the best team in 3A this year without a doubt from start to finish, sometimes the title comes down to the team that gets hot at the right time, but this year HA finished the season as strong as they started it. They will be the team to beat next year as well.
If they have a quality catcher waiting in the wings, they should be even stronger next year, barring injury.

Dirty dawg

Quote from: Eagle25 on May 22, 2017, 06:10:20 am
they definitely had the pitching. Just had too many errors behind them.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas