• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Eagles

Started by GB1987, November 17, 2010, 11:46:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Forrest City H

Quote from: Coach D on November 24, 2010, 10:56:11 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on November 24, 2010, 07:02:02 pm
While no town is perfect, Vilonia does seem to suffer from a lack of success in many sports - not just football.  Not trying to be too philosophical here but Vilonia seems to do many things not very well. 

With the exception of girls basketball and bowling, Vilonia seems to struggle in just about every other sport.  Others have already mentioned that Vilonia is on the middle of the 5A attendance wise so it shouldn't be a case of too few student athletes.....  not that there cannot be improvement by the athletes (there's always room for that) but what of the coaches and the administration? 

Does Vilonia have a useful and functional youth sports system?  I'm sure there are some youth sport programs there but are they functioning in such a way that develops players for their high school teams?  At the same time, are the Vilonia coaches working with and playing an active part in the youth sport systems?  Introducing your coaching philosophies to athletes as early as possible would seem to be a step toward building a program.  From what has been discussed on this board previously, it might seem like an examination and duplication of how the girls basketball program is run would be a good place to start.  That program has certainly been successful - why not attempt to replicate that model in other programs?

Now it would be easy to point a finger at an administration that allowed thousands of dollars to be stolen from under their very noses as the sole source of this problem but not all of the blame can be laid at the feet of administration.  However, if administration is serious about improving the state of things in Vilonia, they should be the leading force in starting efforts to review the entire athletic program with a goal of improvement (not finger pointing).   

I don't have the answers to any of these questions but it seems logical that if Vilonia wants to improve these are questions someone should be asking.....and answering.

Mr. Sellers is a wise old fox. I know his eyes and ears are open at all times. I think he is a big part of why our Vilonia schools are so good. I think he will make the right decisions if there are any to be made in any sport at Vilonia. Let us remember, this is really his first full year as our AD and to have our student athletes, he has done well with our students for years I'm sure he will do the same with our athletes and their programs.

True about Mr Sellers.  He has already taken care of a horrific problem that was going on with Jr High basketball and I expect him to make to same smart decisions with football and any other sports. 

DeepCoverage

Mr.Sellers needs to talk to the team or a couple of players to get a feel of the situation, or a couple of parents that he knows will talk to him about what the kids are saying, and soon.

Coach D

Quote from: DeepCoverage on November 29, 2010, 10:22:42 pm
Quote from: InYoGrill on November 18, 2010, 04:24:25 pm
Quote from: 3up3down on November 18, 2010, 04:19:06 pm
Kyle Wyatt

Unless a JR that did not play this year steps in and takes the spot

I sure did not see anything out of the 9th grade group

Are we forgetting #6 Henderson? My opinion from watching some jv games and what I heard from other players was that he has better accuracy than DK but obviously not the running of DK (which he was one of a kind).  If it is Wyatt great but he better GROW big time cause he is a little tiny guy.

I was told #6 was not playing next year is this correct?
My bad, I heard they were not going to put him at QB

I have not heard that one yet, not surprising

Hogskin

Yall vilonia folks are so fun to mess with. Yall take everything so serious about your program I have defended Vilonia in the past but now I see y yall will never compete for footballl championships, it is the fan base. Too many former pee wee coaches who think they know something about football and that pass negitivity down to the players. If everyone would buy in to the system rather then beraid it, maybe passion would show through your sons. Yall better be thankful that you have one of the best staffs in the state and get behind the program. If yall want to keep calling people out for thier knowledge then maybe I should not have called coach Keople @ SAU and told him he needed to jump on Mitchell, your DE, and #2 because he wants to offer all three, but your right ill start rooting for Greenbrier and leave you Vilonia people alone. so serious

YellowHammer

Yeah, you're right, it's the fan base. Thanks for offering to leave us alone, we appreciate it.  Please go harrass the Briars.

VEAGLES14

Quote from: Hogskin on November 30, 2010, 10:32:53 am
There is a reason jr high coaches are in jr high. Why is everyone so fired up about Stanely, he is a very good coach, everytime I enquired about a player he was very helpful and curtious. We asked him about his secondary coach and that is when he went on to explain how discussed he was when he  first got here about the lack of football sense the boys coming from jr high have not to throw anyone under the bus but it sounds like the problem far exceeds high school. They have to be taught to play from an earlier age and I guess the people from your town have no football knowledge

that would explain why this senior class went undefeated and won conference their 9th grade year?? The Jr High coaches run the same offense as the Sr High..... its the same staff, same offense, different result. You cant just put it on the Jr. High coaches!!

3up3down

Quote from: Hogskin on December 01, 2010, 08:13:08 am
Yall vilonia folks are so fun to mess with. Yall take everything so serious about your program I have defended Vilonia in the past but now I see y yall will never compete for footballl championships, it is the fan base. Too many former pee wee coaches who think they know something about football and that pass negitivity down to the players. If everyone would buy in to the system rather then beraid it, maybe passion would show through your sons. Yall better be thankful that you have one of the best staffs in the state and get behind the program. If yall want to keep calling people out for thier knowledge then maybe I should not have called coach Keople @ SAU and told him he needed to jump on Mitchell, your DE, and #2 because he wants to offer all three, but your right ill start rooting for Greenbrier and leave you Vilonia people alone. so serious
[/quot

Our DE and #2 did not play until their senior year and believe me Mitchell has been on SAU's watch list for a while now

The DE family is from Magnolia and his Grand Mother teaches there, so there is a connection

If you can help any player get signed I thank you

You started this by stating comments about our Jr high coaching staff that are completely false they are great motivators and help our program tremendously and keep the kids from leaving after their 9th grade year due to alot of the kids do not want to continue to play at the High school level. They help keep the numbers up.

If our HC told you that he had a problem with the way they teach football, shame on him. I know for a fact every kid he has would play for those guys any day, my son told me after their only lose his 9th grade year that Coach Stout and his staff not only taught them football, but also taught them how to be men. I will take those kind of coaches any day.

VEAGLE14 is right you can not put blame on the Jr high coaches the same group of seniors and Juniors this year lost 1 game during their 9th grade seasons

3up3down

Hogskin, we are serious about our program but more concerned about our student athletes in all sports. Like InYogrill stated, every coach should be accountable for his season and that is why we are so serious about our football program right now.

sevenof400

December 01, 2010, 12:29:45 pm #158 Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:38:22 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Forrest City H on November 30, 2010, 04:49:44 pm
..True about Mr Sellers.  He has already taken care of a horrific problem that was going on with Jr High basketball and I expect him to make to same smart decisions with football and any other sports.

Say what?

Captain_Caveman

December 01, 2010, 12:58:07 pm #159 Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:02:00 pm by Captain_Caveman
My question is a simple one i guess.  This is Coach Bradley and I was there in Vilonia for 9 years.  Coached with Coach Stanley and was on the staff the year we made the finals.  I only got to see one game this year for obvious reasons.  I was at the Batesville game and the offense I saw was not the Double Wing.  In the true DW you have two TE's, foot to foot splits and the toss is the base play.  What I saw Vilonia run was more of the Slot with a split out and a lot of the triple option.  I saw one DW play run in the entire game. It was in the second quarter and was the double hand-off or the X-Reverse to be specific.  It went for about 2 or 3  yards and I didn't see a true DW play the rest of the night.  I have had discussions with Coach Stanley in the past offseasons and have even been  down to go over the offense and how we are doing things and some changes we have made to the offense here as well.  He explained to me why he had gotten away from the true DW and gone more to the option. 

I remember the year they went to the spread with Puckett.  He was a great QB, but they depended on him to run it.  Coach Stanley has told me on many occassions that he doesn't want to run an offense where he is that dependent on one player.  That is what is so good about the DW. 

Having been here at Cave City for five years now and starting the HS program, I can tell you that running the double wing, we have never failed to have a 1,000 yard rusher, not even in the first year of the program.  We have had multiple 1,000 yard rushers twice and have a player in his three years rush for over 3,000.  It has been good to us and we will continue to use it in the future.  We will however, will use some more of the option because we are seeing more of what Coach Stanley was seeing when he switched to more option. 

Coach Stanley is a good coach and I enjoyed working with him.  He does a good job and I know that people are upset to some extent that the season didn't go as expected, but all in all with the head coaches wife battling cancer, I think they did pretty well. 

As far as the offense goes, remember, Gus Malazahn's offense won't work in the SEC either.  Famous last words.  Any offense will work with proper execution and effort.  I have found the biggest key to us running it successfully here is the strenght level of our linemen.  When we are strong up front we do well.

Good Luck to the Eagles in the future.  I enjoyed being at the game and seeing a lot of old friends.  Getting to be on the halftime show was a joy. 

Thanks for the great years and all the memories V-Town.

InYoGrill

CC, very informative post. Appreciate your input on the subject and your comments. Go Eagles!

YellowHammer

Just an update for all concerned:  I saw RTR tonight and he said the reason he hasnt posted much lately is because he's got the "munstral" cramps, real bad, and he hopes to be on more next week.

DeepCoverage

Coach it was great seeing you at the game. I also enjoyed your post and I agree with some of it. Vilonia ran out of the option most of the year and not the DW,agree. I have to say though we did depend on 1 person running the ball the majority of the time and it was our QB, if Stanley did not want to depend on a QB running the ball why would we go to the option.
I am now hearing we are looking at the pistol, how many different offenses should you try before you get it, who is this offense geared for. I also hear #6 is not going to play QB, well the last time I watched a good pistol offense run it was last week beating Boise State. In that game Nevada threw it 35 times who do we have that can throw the football besides #6 that many times and complete half of those passes.

I do not understand what is happening to our football program and I am sure the program itself has no clue either.

I think since 2003 this is the 4th different offense we have tried, maybe the 5th

I like the pistol I believe it is what we should have been doing more of this year

and yes throw it 35 times 

RTR

Coach Bradley:  Classy post but the only option vilonia used was DK right DK left DK up the middle.  And let me tell you I have a lot of respect for DK and his ability and toughness but good teams keyed on him and had really shut us down.  The double wing has more options than this option offense.

YellowHammer:  Dude, I'm starting a petition to send you to Greenbriar.  Have you not heard of HIPPA

YellowHammer

Isnt HIPPA our main offensive plays? Off HIPPA right tackle and off HIPPA left tackle. Shame on you for posting our playbook on here for all to see!

InYoGrill

Quote from: RTR on December 02, 2010, 09:34:10 pm
Coach Bradley:  Classy post but the only option vilonia used was DK right DK left DK up the middle.  And let me tell you I have a lot of respect for DK and his ability and toughness but good teams keyed on him and had really shut us down.  The double wing has more options than this option offense.

YellowHammer:  Dude, I'm starting a petition to send you to Greenbriar.  Have you not heard of HIPPA

Classy use of BOLD and UNDERLINING there RollTideRoll, lol! I like it a lot.

You two remind of step brothers.  :D

Captain_Caveman

You are right about the option.  I noticed that the qb kept it a lot.  However, in the game I saw when he did give it to the fb, batesville did a very good job of stuffing him.  Their were several in the first half that he gave to the fb that I thought he could have kept the ball.  He did before half and scored on the long run, however, batesville was disguising their defense pretty well.  They did a good job of giving him the handoff read for the most part and still making the play on the fb.  It really just came down to turnovers for the most part.  3 on your own end of the field is bad enough, but inside the 30 and playing a 1 seed on the road, you really need to play mistake free to have a shot to win the game. 

Reminded me of the quarterfinal game we had at Harrison.  They were higher ranked and had the home field winning streak.  We played mistake free, got a couple of breaks and won the game.  The next week played what I think anyone who saw the game, was a bigger, faster, more talented Crossett team at Vilonia and won the game.  Their is something to be said for playing at home.

3up3down

Captin

It is hard to win at home or away with 2 first downs and 1 long run for a TD in the first half of play

We needed to make adjustments

DeepCoverage

December 04, 2010, 04:27:17 pm #168 Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:28:49 pm by DeepCoverage
Went to war memorial and watched 5A championship game

Best football game I have watched in years

Great athletes and Coaches

Both teams ran exciting offenses

Way to go 5A west

Jones is the man

Down 14 just about the whole game         Best coach in high school football

Motivator

nomorewhining

lol......might want to edit your last statement

DeepCoverage

InYoGrill

How about those Vilonia Eagles! Maybe we should start a tradition in V and start saying "WarEagle" around town like Auburn does.  How about it fellow Eagle posters? Got to start something around here. Been to quiet in V.

TTofGreenwood

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 05, 2011, 09:30:46 pm
How about those Vilonia Eagles! Maybe we should start a tradition in V and start saying "WarEagle" around town like Auburn does.  How about it fellow Eagle posters? Got to start something around here. Been to quiet in V.

But you would have to change your mascot to the Tigers, like those idiots on the plains!!

RD™

War Eagle is the gayest thing in college football.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RD™ on February 05, 2011, 11:18:37 pm
War Eagle is the gayest thing in college football.

RD, I was about to come over and punch you in the arm when you were lounging in HQ last Fri. I should have, LOL!

3up3down

New weight equipment looks good

InYoGrill

Quote from: 3up3down on February 11, 2011, 01:02:30 pm

Makes for stronger and faster Eagle machine. "WAR EAGLE!"  Say it 3up.

TTofGreenwood

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 11, 2011, 04:04:42 pm

Tiger?...

InYoGrill

Quote from: TTofgreenwood on February 11, 2011, 04:07:53 pm

Tiger?...

NO! Not Auburn. New tradition in V. "WAR EAGLE!"

Paw-Paw

Quote from: InYoGrill on February 11, 2011, 04:55:39 pm

Tiger?...

HERE KITTY KITTY!!

DeepCoverage

I will never say war eagle

Paw-Paw

DeepCoverage

RD™

Tiger?...

I'm telling you, right now WAR EAGLE will not catch on, anywhere in the State of Arkansas.

TTofGreenwood

What did I miss?  What up with the PC?...(besides the obvious)

InYoGrill

Quote from: PC™ on February 13, 2011, 05:30:56 pm

Tiger?...

I'm telling you, right now WAR EAGLE will not catch on, anywhere in the State of Arkansas.

Dawg, ok ok! What up with the PC? P daddy Crumpy

RD™

A little change that's all...

RD™

Tiger?...

FYI

Ever heard of the Rogers Heritage War Eagles?

InYoGrill

Quote from: PC™ on February 13, 2011, 10:47:12 pm

Tiger?...

FYI

Ever heard of the Rogers Heritage War Eagles?

Got a point, don't want to be a part of those yanks.

Silverstine

Apparently, takes a pure love of the game to play football in Vilonia. I agree with you deep coverage, it's def. not the system that makes players want to play!  Nothing will get better if nothing ever changes..

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Silverstine on February 15, 2011, 11:00:01 pm
Apparently, takes a pure love of the game to play football in Vilonia. I agree with you deep coverage, it's def. not the system that makes players want to play!  Nothing will get better if nothing ever changes..

Thing is Vilonia did try to change. They attempted to go into the Spread, but with little success and pressure from fans they resurrected the old Double-Wing T. Many of the 5A West members were caught off guard the year they unveiled it, but once the kids saw film and understood that assignment football meant "assignment football" it is easier to stop b/c you know what that team wants to do. Once you stop that and truly make them one-dimensional then you have your way with them. They can generate points fairly quickly, but if they cannot build up enough of a lead the opposing team will chip away at it and have the opportunity to seal the victory in the 4th Qtr.

Silverstine

I agree PP.  Over the years, every team in the 5A west has developed schemes to stop it. On paper it's a very complex offense to stop on defense but in reality, all a defense has to do is plug the holes in the line by filling gaps and it shuts down the whole offense.  If you never use your ends in a passing game out of it then it's completely one demensipnable.  Plug the holes with backers an shut down the outside. STOPPED.

The same thing is true about the triple option attack Vilonia ran last year. Stop the veer and key knowles. The only time vilonia passed it was when they through a 50 yard bomb downfield and prayed for rain.  It doesn't take a COMPLETE genius to run an offense.

DeepCoverage

I'm guessing on this one so help if I'm wrong

The offense was changed for Knowles last year for his style of play

Will it be changed this year since Knowles is a senior and will be gone

Silverstine

I can't tell you if it was changed for Knowles or not, but if it wasn't he fit the job for a running quarterback I'd say. Even though personally I think he could have been an even better quarterback if given the chance to spread it out every once in a while.

Rumor has it that Vilonia is pushing the idea of the pistol got next year. They've been working on it throughout offseason so far, but we'll see.

Silverstine

If the offense wasn't changed for his style of play, it was definitely adapted to his style of play. I'm just ready to see if there is anyone next fall season that will make a deep enough impact to change the offense as well and if it will be for the better.

DeepCoverage

Thanks for the info

I think the pistol would be a great change
there is no one in the stable that can run last years offense the way drew did

I have to say I would like to have seen him running the ball or catching screens and watch him go

That is how I would have spread him out

DeepCoverage

Quote from: Silverstine on February 16, 2011, 11:12:55 am
I agree PP.  Over the years, every team in the 5A west has developed schemes to stop it. On paper it's a very complex offense to stop on defense but in reality, all a defense has to do is plug the holes in the line by filling gaps and it shuts down the whole offense.  If you never use your ends in a passing game out of it then it's completely one demensipnable.  Plug the holes with backers an shut down the outside. STOPPED.

The same thing is true about the triple option attack Vilonia ran last year. Stop the veer and key knowles. The only time vilonia passed it was when they through a 50 yard bomb downfield and prayed for rain.  It doesn't take a COMPLETE genius to run an offense.
Quote from: Silverstine on February 16, 2011, 12:47:03 pm
I can't tell you if it was changed for Knowles or not, but if it wasn't he fit the job for a running quarterback I'd say. Even though personally I think he could have been an even better quarterback if given the chance to spread it out every once in a while.

Rumor has it that Vilonia is pushing the idea of the pistol got next year. They've been working on it throughout offseason so far, but we'll see.
Drew could run and throw it a mile
what i saw was problems with his short passes like my short game in golf

Silverstine

Agreed. He was a good quarterback in the triple option, but didn't have all of the aspects of a spread quarterback. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete and a great running quarterback, but everyone has their own weaknesses and his was hitting that 5 yard out or 15 yard dig across the middle.

Short passes win games.  A quarterback has to be consistent in the spread; he was consistent in te run. 

3up3down

He sure could run!

Again I like the pistol idea

Paw-Paw

Quote from: 3up3down on February 16, 2011, 01:19:45 pm
He sure could run!

Again I like the pistol idea

Good luck playing with your new toy then.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas