• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Counting Goals

Started by jimmyt, April 30, 2019, 11:30:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyt

Question:

When counting total goals scored for individual players for the season, should goals in PK shootouts be counted in the total?

I know some coaches do count them in and some don't. I'd love to hear what other coaches do and explain the reasoning.

ARSOCCER2017

In game "PKs" are counted (foul,handball) b/c it affects the overall score of the game. When it is tied and then goes to the PK shootout, the official scored is reported first by what happened in game and then by what the shootout results were. Due to the way the final score is reported, I do not tally PKs in for total goals.

sevenof400

I agree with ARSoccer2017 in that I would NOT count goals scored during KFTM. 

This does however make me wonder about some of the outrageous personal goal totals we've heard about in previous years - and how those coaches may (or may not) have tallied the scores for a player.

Bottom line is a coach (or scorekeeper) can do as they will when it comes to personal scoring totals because there is really no way to verify any of these records.

chandler

I've encountered several coaches that don't know that KFTM goals are a separate category and should not count for their team's Golden Boot, for example. I also think that there are a lot of coaches that give out assists pretty liberally.

sevenof400

Quote from: chandler on April 30, 2019, 01:12:48 pm
I've encountered several coaches that don't know that KFTM goals are a separate category and should not count for their team's Golden Boot, for example. I also think that there are a lot of coaches that give out assists pretty liberally.

Almost hockey like....but in hockey, they are hard earned.....

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 30, 2019, 02:24:23 pm
Almost hockey like....but in hockey, they are hard earned.....

Back in 03 or so, the shootout was very much like hockey. One on one with the keeper - 25 yards out and about 7 seconds to score. Pretty fun stuff.

sevenof400

Quote from: MDXPHD on April 30, 2019, 07:48:29 pm
Back in 03 or so, the shootout was very much like hockey. One on one with the keeper - 25 yards out and about 7 seconds to score. Pretty fun stuff.

That would have been interesting to watch.  Reminds me of another way to break ties at the end of games used by Super Clubs.....reduce the number of players to 8 a side.  It never took long to find a score using that method and people from adjoining fields would slide over and watch an overtime game simply for the novelty. 

Arkiesoccer

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

Here's a link to some of the old school MLS shootouts

jimmyt

If KFTM do not count, then shouldn't we keep those stats in another category? Just seems crazy to me that a 0-0 game be decided in the shootout and not a single player gets credit for winning the game in the statistical column. Basketball has a million different statistical categories. If we don't count them on the total, they should be counted somehow...

MDXPHD

Quote from: jimmyt on May 01, 2019, 08:12:32 am
If KFTM do not count, then shouldn't we keep those stats in another category? Just seems crazy to me that a 0-0 game be decided in the shootout and not a single player gets credit for winning the game in the statistical column. Basketball has a million different statistical categories. If we don't count them on the total, they should be counted somehow...

Just tell us how many goals you want for your KFTM this season and we will give them to you.

chandler

There is another category. Maxpreps even has a separate category for in game PKs and PK Saves for goal keepers. On the flip side, that GK shouldn't be responsible for all those PKs and KFTM goals when the deck is so stacked against him or her.

The American Football analogy would be that Matt Jones has a ton of passing and rushing touchdowns from those OT games vs Kentucky, Ole Miss and Tennessee. But he only had to take the team 25 yards to get those touchdowns. Does he deserve to hold school and conference records based on those OT scores?

That's one of many reasons the NFL hasn't adopted the College Football OT rules.

jimmyt

But Matt Jones DID get to keep those stats for his OT scores and yards rushed/passed. That kind of helps me prove my point?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas