• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want Kevin Kelley to be the head coach of the Razorbacks

Started by Mijally2, October 04, 2017, 07:42:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mijally2

I'm not kidding. We need something different. We play Alabama style football and we will never out 'Bama, 'Bama. Ever. They have too much talent. If Gus Mahlzahn can be successful with innovative concepts in the SEC then Kelley can too. Both can see the value in receivers like Will Hastings. The Wes Welker types. The kind that Arkansas can get. Kelley will get the top QBs who will want to play in his system. The best receivers. Hunter Henry can vouch for the system and winning brings talent. You have to pass like crazy to beat 'Bama. Kelley will drive Saban crazy with the schemes. This is my opinion. I'd love to see it and I bet it would work. Kelley is a winner and he would obsess until he makes the Hogs winners.

PrivateLesson

When has a HS Coach ever became The HC of a major University without College coaching experience first?

AT

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 04, 2017, 07:46:52 pm
When has a HS Coach ever became The HC of a major University without College coaching experience first?

Well, strange you ask that, not exactly the parameters you set forth, but Gus only had one year as OC at Arkansas before going to HC at Tulsa.

I think North Texas hired a high school school some years back. It didn't work out.

YC

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 04, 2017, 07:46:52 pm

Gerry Faust was head coach at Moeller high school in Cincinati Ohio in 1980 and was head coach at Notre Dame in 1981-85

PA Dad

WTD

Art Briles had just a few years as a college assistant before he became the head coach of Houston. He was a very successful high school coach in Texas. Houston may not be a major D1 program but that's still a good jump.

Mijally2

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 08:02:36 pm
Well, this is sure to bring out the P.A./Kelley haters.
It wasn't intended too. Attention to details and an obsession with winning always works. Kelley has both. I loved the move Will Hastings put on the safety to get wide open for Auburn this weekend. That's what Kelley teaches. Hogs receivers don't get open. Somebody on the Hogs staff is not teaching the basics of route running.

PrivateLesson

Get him out of HS and I wonder how well PA would function without him? 

beach bum

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 08:02:36 pm
Well, this is sure to bring out the P.A./Kelley haters.

Not going to hate here... I really enjoy PA and people should appreciate the positive recognition they bring to the state in football. If they do not they are simply just hating. That said there is a way you can coach high school and a way you can coach college. He could keep most of all what he does in his system, but would have to change some things for sure. I don't want Arkansas going for it on 4th and 10 and giving the other team a 30 yard field sometimes. We tend to get in that scenario a lot in Fayetteville  ;D

Mijally2

Why is Will Hastings from Little Rock running perfect routes and catching touchdowns for Auburn?

Mijally2

Because Kevin Kelley is not the head coach of Arkansas would be my answer.

PA Dad

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 04, 2017, 08:23:33 pm

PA would still be good but they would not be dominant.

JessieP

Quote from: YC on October 04, 2017, 07:59:37 pm
Gerry Faust was head coach at Moeller high school in Cincinati Ohio in 1980 and was head coach at Notre Dame in 1981-85

Gerry Faust was considered the biggest coaching bust ever. You cannot make that jump directly. Can you see an SEC team go for it on every 4th down? please. Onside kick it every time? please. On College teams every player was the star of his high school team, too many athletes. Arkansas has a 4th and 7 on their own 20 against Alabama in the 1st quarter and you think going for it makes sense? The offense PA runs is very Vanilla compared to what you see in college. Sometimes our admiration for certain things clouds our better judgement. As dominating as they are in the 5A PA would not even have a winning record if they played in a league with the Katy's, Mater Dei's, De La Salle's, De Matha's and Bishop Gorman's. Take those teams and multiply by 10 and you have Div 1 type players. To think that system would work in the SEC is ludicrous. Could Kelley become an asst. coach at an Div 2 college and then climb the latter up? of course. To jump from PA to the SEC team is a bit much.

JessieP

Yellowcake

Quote from: PrivateLesson on October 04, 2017, 08:23:33 pm

Not well at all. He is the motivator, the innovator and the play caller. He's the cog that  turns the wheel.

One man's opinion.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Almatrackster on October 04, 2017, 07:49:34 pm
Well, strange you ask that, not exactly the parameters you set forth, but Gus only had one year as OC at Arkansas before going to HC at Tulsa.

I think North Texas hired a high school school some years back. It didn't work out.

Think north Texas hired Todd Dodge...who won some of those mythical high school national titles are Southlake Carrol

RiverRunner02

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 08:38:16 pm
Gerry Faust was considered the biggest coaching bust ever. You cannot make that jump directly. Can you see an SEC team go for it on every 4th down? please. Onside kick it every time? please. On College teams every player was the star of his high school team, too many athletes. Arkansas has a 4th and 7 on their own 20 against Alabama in the 1st quarter and you think going for it makes sense? The offense PA runs is very Vanilla compared to what you see in college. Sometimes our admiration for certain things clouds our better judgement. As dominating as they are in the 5A PA would not even have a winning record if they played in a league with the Katy's, Mater Dei's, De La Salle's, De Matha's and Bishop Gorman's. Take those teams and multiply by 10 and you have Div 1 type players. To think that system would work in the SEC is ludicrous. Could Kelley become an asst. coach at an Div 2 college and then climb the latter up? of course. To jump from PA to the SEC team is a bit much.

Just my opinion. But Bret Bielema contends for that spot without a doubt. He was out of the ballpark hire that promised results that he hasn't backed up ("I just wanna bring a winner to Arkansas.") Here's to being "almost there" and "one play away" cause that's all we're gonna get with BB at the helm. Time to get a move on the hill... maybe Kelley is the answer ;)

MDXPHD

He may have some success. He would be familiar with the smu type booster assistance and could exploit that stuff at the college level.

Honestly, Gus has much better athletes at Auburn than Arkansas does. And he was also an assistant head coach at Tulsa I think.  Gus is a great coach. He has enjoyed success everyone he's gone. He's worked his way up. Hughes, Shiloh, Springdale. I think the next stop for KK would be a public school in 7A or a small college. He's probably not going to be an assistant again, not enough control.

He would fail miserably at Arkansas is what I'm saying. Very good coach for PA though. I do think Arkansas needs a new coach. Offensive minded, creative play calling, etc.

YC

All I did was answer the question that was asked – that it had been done in the past.

Yes, Gerry Faust turned out to be a bad hire.

beach bum

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 08:50:46 pm
He may have some success. He would be familiar with the smu type booster assistance and could exploit that stuff at the college level.

Honestly, Gus has much better athletes at Auburn than Arkansas does. And he was also an assistant head coach at Tulsa I think.  Gus is a great coach. He has enjoyed success everyone he's gone. He's worked his way up. Hughes, Shiloh, Springdale. I think the next stop for KK would be a public school in 7A or a small college. He's probably not going to be an assistant again, not enough control.

He would fail miserably at Arkansas is what I'm saying. Very good coach for PA though. I do think Arkansas needs a new coach. Offensive minded, creative play calling, etc.

Auburn's defense is one of the 3 or 4 college teams where you stare out on the field and the size matches some pro teams.... They looked massive playing Miss State.

JessieP

Another point people are forgetting. Malzhan wasn't hired at Arkansas because of his coaching abilities, he was hired to deliver Mustain. The friction with Nutt was well documented. He was a very tethered OC, he was basically OC in name only.

AT

It is correct that he was just an assistant at Tulsa before becoming HC at Arkansas State for one season.

PA Dad

Before Kelley, everyone said the same things about high school football and some still do.  Frank Broyles said the spread would never work at the college level.

Never say never.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 08:54:26 pm
Another point people are forgetting. Malzhan wasn't hired at Arkansas because of his coaching abilities, he was hired to deliver Mustain. The friction with Nutt was well documented. He was a very tethered OC, he was basically OC in name only.

He was hired to deliver 5 D-1 players.

JessieP

Quote from: YC on October 04, 2017, 08:52:27 pm
All I did was answer the question that was asked – that it had been done in the past.

Yes, Gerry Faust turned out to be a bad hire.

I wasn't being confrontational to your post, just expounding on what you said. I never thought you mean't it in the "It can work" sense.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 08:55:30 pm
Before Kelley, everyone said the same things about high school football and some still do.  Frank Broyles said the spread would never work at the college level.

Never say never.

He should show us all just how wrong we are and move up in the coaching world.

AT

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 08:54:26 pm

True, but our best offense that year was the Wildcat which was a Gus wrinkle.

JessieP

Ok PA Dad, Maynard and others. No one has made the joke yet so I will....He already has the recruiting part down....thank you! I'll be here all week.

MDXPHD

Quote from: beach bum on October 04, 2017, 08:53:11 pm
Auburn's defense is one of the 3 or 4 college teams where you stare out on the field and the size matches some pro teams.... They looked massive playing Miss State.

Agreed. Auburn has some players this season. Hope it's not another 50+ victory for the coach that we let get away.

MDXPHD

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 08:58:32 pm
Ok PA Dad, Maynard and others. No one has made the joke yet so I will....He already has the recruiting part down....thank you! I'll be here all week.

(Please see my post above lol)

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 08:57:02 pm
He should show us all just how wrong we are and move up in the coaching world.

If we had no innovators we'd still be running the I formation and the 5-2 defense.  All innovators have proven the naysayers wrong.  You'll see Kelley's system more and more in the future.  Check back in 2-3 years.

PA Dad

So, he has less to learn at the college level than most high school coaches!

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 09:07:21 pm
If we had no innovators we'd still be running the I formation and the 5-2 defense.  All innovators have proven the naysayers wrong.  You'll see Kelley's system more and more in the future.  Check back in 2-3 years.

Are you sure the I formation isn't working great still? I mean, BB is crushing it at Arkansas.

I completely agree. In high school especially. I think it's going to be very common in high school soon. We won't see it in the NFL though. Or major college football.

Remember though, the classic I formation is still going strong. Alabama has recently dominated with it. Although they are slowly adapting to the new type of football. That's what great coaches do.

Mijally2

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 08:55:42 pm
He was hired to deliver 5 D-1 players.
If Malzahn had been the Head Coach instead of Nutt we would have been much better. Nutt jacked that deal up with his arrogance.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on October 04, 2017, 09:11:03 pm
Are you sure the I formation isn't working great still? I mean, BB is crushing it at Arkansas.

I completely agree. In high school especially. I think it's going to be very common in high school soon. We won't see it in the NFL though. Or major college football.

Remember though, the classic I formation is still going strong. Alabama has recently dominated with it. Although they are slowly adapting to the new type of football. That's what great coaches do.

I agree that older systems still work.  But, the spread, the  4-3 and 3-4, etc. are much more common now and generally more successful.  Darrell Royal was a great coach but he might have much less success today because he hated the pass.

My point is simply that you can't discount an innovator simply because he/she tries something that no one has done before.

Lefefe123#

Kevin Kelly would be a great HC for the Hogs.  Let's bring in some new innovative ideas, and I think KK  would be a perfect fit.  The man really talk the talk and walk the walk.  If he gets to go, PA will still be competitive because PA coaching staff like Mr. Wyatt, Taylor and I don't the other coaches name will keep PA running.  I would love to see KK becomes the HOGS Head Coach talking about putting a flavor to your good old frying squirrel. 

Mijally2

Kevin Kelley would be successful at Arkansas. We would score points and win. Bottom line about football.

Mijally2

Quote from: Lefefe123# on October 04, 2017, 09:19:22 pm
Kevin Kelly would be a great HC for the Hogs.  Let's bring in some new innovative ideas, and I think KK  would be a perfect fit.  The man really talk the talk and walk the walk.  If he gets to go, PA will still be competitive because PA coaching staff like Mr. Wyatt, Taylor and I don't the other coaches name will keep PA running.  I would love to see KK becomes the HOGS Head Coach talking about putting a flavor to your good old frying squirrel.
No!!!  Not OC. We did that with Malzahn and now he's Auburns coach. Head Coach period.

Mijally2

I root against this guy every year as a Maumelle fan and it's no use because he's gonna win. I want to root for him as the Hogs HC.

JessieP

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 09:16:08 pm
I agree that older systems still work.  But, the spread, the  4-3 and 3-4, etc. are much more common now and generally more successful.  Darrell Royal was a great coach but he might have much less success today because he hated the pass.

My point is simply that you can't discount an innovator simply because he/she tries something that no one has done before.

I give all the credit in the world to Kelley. The onside kicks and always going for it work in a mid division high school league. You cannot argue with the success. As far as PA's offense goes it is very good, they work at it repetitiously, but it is not innovative. It's been done in the pro's and college since 1980 when Bill Walsh started it. He is an incredible coach but there is nothing unique to his offense, it's expertly executed but not original.

Maynard G Krebs

don't quit your day job ;)

JessieP

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on October 04, 2017, 09:26:27 pm
don't quit your day job ;)

Artificial inseminater for the hens at the chicken houses outside town, quit that job? are you crazy? 

PA Dad

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 09:26:26 pm
I give all the credit in the world to Kelley. The onside kicks and always going for it work in a mid division high school league. You cannot argue with the success. As far as PA's offense goes it is very good, they work at it repetitiously, but it is not innovative. It's been done in the pro's and college since 1980 when Bill Walsh started it. He is an incredible coach but there is nothing unique to his offense, it's expertly executed but not original.

But it is the onside kicks and always going for it on fourth down that is innovative.  And, as I'm sure everyone knows by now, that's based on analytics.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Mijally2 on October 04, 2017, 09:22:17 pm
Kevin Kelley would be successful at Arkansas. We would score points and win. Bottom line about football.

We would score more points..that might be true. That's all though. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but he has much more to prove before he can be in a serious discussion about an sec head coaching job...

At least we all know how you feel about the Arkansas football program. Listen, sometimes the hogs make us all go a little crazy. You've had a long day, hogs are disappointing you, and you need some rest.

We all have basketball season to look forward to. I think

PA Dad

It's a great thread based on the number of posts in a short period of time.  This may be the most in a short period since Kelley called timeout to make the last score against McClellan in the championship game a couple of years ago.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on October 04, 2017, 09:38:45 pm
It's a great thread based on the number of posts in a short period of time.  This may be the most in a short period since Kelley called timeout to make the last score against McClellan in the championship game a couple of years ago.

Haha true. Or when PA changed to dry uniforms because they didn't wanna be all wet and cold.

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Yellowcake on October 04, 2017, 08:41:20 pm
Not well at all. He is the motivator, the innovator and the play caller. He's the cog that  turns the wheel.

One man's opinion.

+1.  I think that is a very reasonable assessment.  I wouldn't want to imagine Greenwood having a Coaching change with Jones.   Programs such as those two have been built for years.  Both are excellent football coaches in their own right.

Just because it is easy in HS doesn't mean it will be in College.  Totally different aspects but you guys would know more about that than I.    Sleep well All!  :)

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: JessieP on October 04, 2017, 09:30:25 pm
Artificial inseminater for the hens at the chicken houses outside town, quit that job? are you crazy?

I heard it wasn't artificial

PA Dad

Mijally2

Is it me or what?   It just seems wrong that Arkansas coaches and players are being successful at Auburn and out of state coaches and AD's are not being successful here in Arkansas.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas