• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for an assistant coaching job!

Started by CoachT, February 13, 2011, 05:07:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoachT

I am a 25 year old Senior Physical Education major at Arkansas State University. I graduate May 7 and can not wait to begin my teaching/coaching career. My specialty is defensive backs/receivers but feel that I can coach at any position. I am very motivated and determined to be a great coach, teacher, mentor, winner, and overall good role model to the community and my students wherever I do end up. I am very knowledgeable on the game of football and feel that I get the most out of students I work with. I do have teaching and coaching experience even though I am a college student.  I have coached defensive backs at the high school level as a volunteer and was given the full responsibility of the cornerbacks. I have taught PE at every level, not only in a school setting, but also for an afterschool program for At-Risk students. I know some coaches are weary on hiring coaches right out of college, but I assure you I am qualified and up to any task placed upon me. Even though I feel that I know quite a bit about the game of football, I know there is so much more to learn and I am eager to begin doing so. If anyone needs an assistant or know of anyone that needs a teacher/coach, then I can send my resume via e-mail ASAP. Thank you for your time.

we_hate_the_band

CoachT

Physical Education, and plan on getting certified in Driver's Ed over the summer. Yea I know that it is hard to find a job in PE. But when I was thinking of a career that I wanted to pursue when I was in highschool, a job that I could go to work everyday and be happy, it didn't consist of being behind a desk all day teaching Math. I like being physically active, and feel that I am good at getting kids to participate in physical activity. So to answer your question, yes Physical Education is the only thing I am getting certified to teach.

athletic supporter

Good luck on getting a job with only PE as an option. BTW, most driver's ed teachers are old coaches who wanted out of the classroom.

CoachT

Ok, well there are PE jobs out there, and I know many people that have got jobs so right now I will stick to my choice. And I am very open to moving, I am going to be putting my resume in three different states. But thank you very much for your opinion on my subject choice, that helps me tremendously.

Iknewthemwhen

Yea that one certification for PE is not going to make you very marketable in the eyes of Principals and Superintendants who have to think academics first most of the time.

BearNation

I commen you on sticking with your options.  However, I will tell you, just like I told my nephews --- PE teachers and coaches are a dime a dozen.  P.S.  Not sure you realize this, but Math and English teachers don't just sit behind their desk all day.  Believe it or not, they have to be up and moving around to monitor all the students they have that don't know that 4x3 is 12 not 7.  Good luck.

CoachT

Yes sir, I know that Math and English teachers don't just sit all day, I am not bashing teachers at all. I just have always wanted to be a PE teacher, and I am good at it. And another thing I wouldn't even want me to teach my own kids math if I had any, noneless a whole classroom. Math is not my greatest subject. I know that PE jobs are few and far between, but that has always been my plan. I have been to school took 147 hours and am graduating in May, lol. It is a little to late to be changing now. But if I can not find a job then I guess I will be doing something different.

JohnBarleycorn

The object is to make yourself as marketable as possible. If PE is not available, you just need to get your foot in the door and then possibly move over to PE after a year or two. A good certification to get would be the Middle School Content Area. It's one test in four parts...English, Math, Science and Social Studies. Pass the test and you'll be certified to teach any of those subjects in Middle School. May not what you want to do right now, but it could get you a job.

WonderBoy17

I am going to be honest with you. I graduated with a HPE degree in 2005, I found a job, if you are willing to go anywhere you can find one, but if you want in a bigger school, you better get something else.  I was at two smaller schools, one in West Arkansas and one in SW Arkansas, I became certified in Social Studies and was able to move to NW Arkansas.  By the way I can teach Driver's Ed too, you need to find a core subject. I have been in your shoes.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas