• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The New 5A - Preseason Thoughts and Opinions

Started by VHSCoach2, December 19, 2018, 11:22:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

With the new conferences coming into place this spring, what are your thoughts and opinions on how things will go down? This discussion is meant for both the girls and boys teams. If you need a refresher of what the new 5A looks like for soccer, here you go:

East: Greene County Tech, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Nettleton, Paragould, Searcy, West Memphis
West: Alma, Beebe, Greenbrier, Greenwood, Little Rock Christian, Russellville, Siloam Springs, Vilonia
Central: Hall, Jacksonville, Maumelle, Parkview, Pine Bluff (boys only), Sylvan Hills, White Hall
South: Benton, El Dorado, Hot Springs, Fair (boys only), Lake Hamilton, Lakeside, Sheridan, Texarkana

Go Postal

December 19, 2018, 12:39:14 pm #1 Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:41:10 pm by Go Postal
Alma's new soccer program is in for a good workout in the West.  Siloam Springs boys/girls always seem to be good in the West.  LRCA boys and especially girls are a good addition also.
On the positive side, Harrison and PA girls are not in the 5A this year, so that should open it up for someone else.  Though it will be interesting what will happen in the 4A girls this year with Harrison, PA, CAC and Shiloh Christian all playing in the same conference.

CentralARFutbol

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on December 19, 2018, 11:22:07 am
With the new conferences coming into place this spring, what are your thoughts and opinions on how things will go down? This discussion is meant for both the girls and boys teams. If you need a refresher of what the new 5A looks like for soccer, here you go:

East: Greene County Tech, Jonesboro, Marion, Mountain Home, Nettleton, Paragould, Searcy, West Memphis
West: Alma, Beebe, Greenbrier, Greenwood, Little Rock Christian, Russellville, Siloam Springs, Vilonia
Central: Hall, Jacksonville, Maumelle, Parkview, Pine Bluff (boys only), Sylvan Hills, White Hall
South: Benton, El Dorado, Hot Springs, Fair (boys only), Lake Hamilton, Lakeside, Sheridan, Texarkana

The only conference I am really familiar with as a whole is the 5a South. Benton and Hot Springs should battle it out for the top spot on the boys side. Lakeside lost most of their state championship team.  They will probably finish 3rd, but I would not be surprised to finish 4th or lower. They will be way down this year.
My guess:
1. Benton
2. Hot Springs
3 El Dorado
4. Lakeside

Benton girls will roll through the conference. I would be surprised if they do not win every game by at least 3 goals.I have no idea how the rest of the conference will shake out.

My top 4 for the 5A boys:
1. Russellville
2. Siloam
3. Jonesborro
4. Benton
Not sure the rest will matter after those 4.

I was able to watch several of the boys teams across the state last year. This is just based off what I saw. I am not sure what all the the teams are returning though.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: Go Postal on December 19, 2018, 12:39:14 pm
Alma's new soccer program is in for a good workout in the West.  Siloam Springs boys/girls always seem to be good in the West.  LRCA boys and especially girls are a good addition also.
On the positive side, Harrison and PA girls are not in the 5A this year, so that should open it up for someone else.  Though it will be interesting what will happen in the 4A girls this year with Harrison, PA, CAC and Shiloh Christian all playing in the same conference.

Posty,

Hope you still come around for the 5A discussion even though your Gobs are in 4A now. Always enjoy your wittiness and discussion!

Ladyfan

Quote from: Go Postal on December 19, 2018, 12:39:14 pm
CAC is 3A in soccer now. Not paired against Harrison, PA or Shiloh.

pantherdad

I'm pumped about the new 5A conference, new competition.

For the girls (not overly familiar with the boys):

East:probably between Mountain Home, Searcy, and Jonesboro
West: a battle between LRCA, Siloam Springs, Russellville and Greenbrier
Central: I would assume Maumelle would be at the top
South: Benton should win, with El Dorado & Texarkana in the mix

Overall 5A top 4 predictions: Benton, LRCA, Siloam and Mountain Home

sssuperpantherfan2

It will be exciting this year, good competition makes you better, play the toughest teams you can get to. Not sure what the point of elimination of the conference playoffs. On the girls side I hear LRC and Greenbrier will be tough, Benton definitely the team to watch.  SS has some great players still to make their mark.

On the boy's side, SS Russellville, Mt Home, Benton sways play great. It'll be fun to watch how the others play. 

Buck183

I can't honestly speak about all the different divisions of this conference. 

I do agree strongly with those that have posted saying Benton girls will be the team in the south.  To me all the stars line up for them this year.  Assuming an unknown team doesn't have some phenom freshman class that we don't know about, I think this could be Benton's year.  If anything, they are definitely due.

In the west it's pretty easy to put money on both Russellville and Siloam where the boys are concerned.  In my mind I lean towards Siloam.  I feel like Rville lost a little more than Siloam did.  Siloam has an old assistant back as their head coach now and the team is moving steadily forward in the offseason with renewed vigilance.  The attitude seems to be right for once.  The mood among players is like something I haven't seen in a few years.  It just feels right to me. 

I can't get a good feeling for the girl's west this year.  There's a few teams that I don't know enough about to be able to comment on them.  Siloam girls have a good core group coming back for them this year.  They will be competitive and feisty on the field.  Coach Ray brings a renewed spirit with her to the field.  She has been there as an assistant for all of the titles so she isn't a stranger to the program or the game.  The talent this year will be a little different than what I'm used to seeing with less club presence on the field.  I certainly plan to be there supporting them and hoping for the best. 

Definitely look forward to a fun season seeing different competition for once. 

LionKing

That freshman class might be Searcy.  With only losing one senior from last years team, strong upper class talent, and with most of the 12 freshman on the team that have played club ball in the US Youth Soccer Premier League with FC Dallas CA, they should be very competitive.   

It will be a fun year.  Lots of competitive teams.

Ranger20

Also looking forward to the change-up in competition. Nobody stands out as a front-runner going in, leaving several with a good shot at going the distance.

EAST: Toss up between Jonesboro, Mtn Home, and Searcy
WEST: Russellville with maybe a slight edge over LRCA and Siloam
CENTRAL: Hall (inconsistent last year but can play big)
SOUTH: 🤷🏻‍♂️ Didn't see any of these teams play last year but know Lakeside won it all

Go Postal

Quote from: Ladyfan on December 19, 2018, 02:17:40 pm
CAC is 3A in soccer now. Not paired against Harrison, PA or Shiloh.
Thanks for the info, Ladyfan.  That's good to know.  I've been in a tiszy trying to go from 5A Football to 4A Basketball and Soccer try to remember who is with who and where the heck is so and so.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas