• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

McGehee at Newport

Started by owl84, November 09, 2018, 10:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

owl84

Rematch of last year. At least we won't be playing in the mud this week.

501Arkansas

This going to be a good one here

CoolBreeze

Owls might be wishing for some mud to slow down the Hound offense.

501Arkansas

Newport by 14. Newport's offense is full of speed and that guy cash is pretty darn good.  That Newport defense is Outstanding. SPEED SPEED SPEED

Leo Marvin

Newport didn't have a very good game against Centerpoint.   The Hounds can't have a repeat performance and expect to get the victory against Mcgehee. 

1wildcat

CoolBreeze

Quote from: Leo Marvin on November 09, 2018, 11:25:50 pm
Newport didn't have a very good game against Centerpoint.   The Hounds can't have a repeat performance and expect to get the victory against Mcgehee.
Um, 35-0 is a bad game. I shudder to think what the score would have been if they had played well.

jay nelvin

Hound father

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 10, 2018, 08:20:16 am
Um, 35-0 is a bad game. I shudder to think what the score would have been if they had played well.

Newport was very off last night in the first half looks like the boys can out with a different intensity the second half and put the game away the offense finally started to click a bit so hopefully we can put together 4 quarters and put the game away quickly.

ARSOCCER2017

14-0 at the half. Two of the 5 scores came late against sophomores and freshman. Newport was playing their starters all the way. Probably to work through their 1st half rust. They had decent speed. Not Smackover, CHG, or Prescott speed. IMO.  I don't know anything about McGhee. Centerpoint played very hard for 3 1/2 quarters. Good luck the rest of the way!!

Leo Marvin

Quote from: ARSOCCER2017 on November 10, 2018, 12:25:14 pm
14-0 at the half. Two of the 5 scores came late against sophomores and freshman. Newport was playing their starters all the way. Probably to work through their 1st half rust. They had decent speed. Not Smackover, CHG, or Prescott speed. IMO.  I don't know anything about McGhee. Centerpoint played very hard for 3 1/2 quarters. Good luck the rest of the way!!

I can see where you would think that about Newport after watching that game.  By far the worst performance of the year by the Hounds offense.  It was obvious very early, Newport was not going to earn style points for this game.  Newport did advance, and I'm sure there will be a whole new mindset for McGehee

blackandoldgold

If McGehee can hang in there, I think the owls have a chance to beat the greyhounds on the road. However I'm picking Newport to prevail with a second half comeback.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: blackandoldgold on November 10, 2018, 10:22:11 pm
If McGehee can hang in there, I think the owls have a chance to beat the greyhounds on the road. However I'm picking Newport to prevail with a second half comeback.
Hounds do seem to be a strong second half team.

501Arkansas

Quote from: CoolBreeze on November 11, 2018, 08:07:11 am
Hounds do seem to be a strong second half team.
Proce fact in the Osceola game. If they have a bad first half, you better believe they are coming hard 2nd half. If Newport comes out ready first half, I think they could we this one. Newport 35 McGehee 21

ISU7

I think Newport covers the fake punt this season and gets the win at home. ;D

Redskin2015

hootingowl

Mcgehee has alot of speed as well, piggott never got to see it in the slop fest. Owls in for a serious battle in this one. Hard to predict who will win. Newport I'm sure has revenge on there mind. Mcgehee defense didnt show up vs piggott.gonna come down to who wants it the most I'm afraid. My guess is mcgehee 19 Newport 14.

sprained ankle

November 12, 2018, 05:47:06 am #17 Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:55:48 am by sprained ankle
Newport is hard to defend. They can beat you with the pass or the run and the HOUNDS can do both well.  It is very difficult for most teams to stop. They have shown in past games to be pretty good defensively against teams that run the type of offense the Owls run. I think the HOUNDS come out on top by 2 scores. 

Even though it looked like the Hounds struggled Friday night against Centerpoint they had 558 yards total offense while allowing Centerpoint 150yards.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: sprained ankle on November 12, 2018, 05:47:06 am
Newport is hard to defend. They can beat you with the pass or the run and the HOUNDS can do both well.  It is very difficult for most teams to stop. They have shown in past games to be pretty good defensively against teams that run the type of offense the Owls run. I think the HOUNDS come out on top by 2 scores. 

Even though it looked like the Hounds struggled Friday night against Centerpoint they had 558 yards total offense while allowing Centerpoint 150yards.

Defense has looked much improved.  #44 and #28 have been great defensive additions to this team.  I think the defense continues to improve and look for them to be at their best this week. 

sprained ankle

501Arkansas

football141414

Score doesn't show the closeness of this game.  Centerpoint had control the first quarter while shutting down the newport offense.  Centerpoint had clean pick near end of second quarter that was called back for passing interference which would have kept the score 7-0 going into half time.  The score was close until halfway through the fourth  quarter after the fight when centerpoint put freshmen and sophmores in while newport left there whole starting crew on the field. Newport did win the game, but centerpoint put up competition that the score doesn't reflect. Centerpoint had the chances in second half to win the game but couldn't capitilize once in the redzone.

sprained ankle

Quote from: football141414 on November 12, 2018, 11:00:40 am
Score doesn't show the closeness of this game.  Centerpoint had control the first quarter while shutting down the newport offense.  Centerpoint had clean pick near end of second quarter that was called back for passing interference which would have kept the score 7-0 going into half time.  The score was close until halfway through the fourth  quarter after the fight when centerpoint put freshmen and sophmores in while newport left there whole starting crew on the field. Newport did win the game, but centerpoint put up competition that the score doesn't reflect. Centerpoint had the chances in second half to win the game but couldn't capitilize once in the redzone.
You must have watched a different game. Centerpoint only threatened to score once in the game and that was in the first half. Their total offense was 150 yards compared to 558 for Newport. It was 22-0 when the disagreement to place. The officiating crew, which was the worst I have ever seen, kept the game from having any kind of flow at all which affected both teams. 

Mallards

There were at least 20 + Penalties in the third quarter alone. Worst group of referees ever

new2karting

I always love the "worst ever" comments on these boards. 35-0 and it was the ref's fault. Love the logic.

Mallards

Should've been a blow out. Refs brought back several runs and big plays for the hounds.

Gr3yhounds

You can catch the game in the link presented below. There was a lot of questionable calls by the refs, and you can clearly tell they picked their favorites before entering that night. You can't blame the refs. Newport played and won the game with the referees being in the other corner. The past is the past we must focus on the owls.

Is Oldman in the deer woods or something and don't have signal to check FF? By now he would've already ruffled some feathers.  ;D ;D

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Gr3yhounds on November 12, 2018, 01:06:32 pm
You can catch the game in the link presented below. There was a lot of questionable calls by the refs, and you can clearly tell they picked their favorites before entering that night. You can’t blame the refs. Newport played and won the game with the referees being in the other corner. The past is the past we must focus on the owls.

Is Oldman in the deer woods or something and don’t have signal to check FF? By now he would’ve already ruffled some feathers.  ;D ;D
I'm here at work and I have signal at my camp.

Oldhound56

Centerpoint, an no point had control of that game.  Really never threatened to score and was held to 150 yards total offense. 

Newport's first drive was three and out, but moved the ball consistently after that.  The penalties killed the Hounds.  122 yards in penalties.  Their first two drives of the second half ended inside the 5, one on downs and one with a fumble. 

The CLEAR interception in the second quarter was also inside the 10 yard line, except it was a CLEAR catch.  The receiver caught the ball, went to the ground on his back and the defender went down on top of him and then pulled the ball away while they were on the ground. 

If it was that close in the 4th and Centerpoint was subbing in freshman and sophomores, they must have given up on the game.  From the stands on our side it sure looked like all the same numbers were out there until the end. 

Newport had freshman playing as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Oldhound56

None of that matters.  On to McGehee!

Hound father

Quote from: ARSOCCER2017 on November 10, 2018, 12:25:14 pm

Pretty sure it was the starting qb who got kicked out of the ball game for punching the kicker in front of the ref so that maybe where they get a freshman and sophomore had to come in.

Headhunter15

hootingowl

Just watched first quarter of Newport vs centerpoint. Was not impressed. The owls gonna run all over Newport I think. The only points scored in first quarter by Newport was on a 85 yard play. Owls are def good enough to win this game.And owls do have as much speed as hounds do. OWLS 28 hounds 7

hootingowl

In that first quarter, 2 or 3 unsportsmanlike  penalties  on Newport, off sides on Newport kicking team 2 times in a row. Better get all that in check b4 Friday. Dem owls are hungry, good luck to both teams..

Mallards

Once again they were terrible calls ruined momentum for the hounds.

Leo Marvin

Quote from: football141414 on November 12, 2018, 11:00:40 am

I understand not being overly impressed with Newport after watching this game, but Centerpoint never threatened during this game.  It was very obvious that Centerpoint was going to struggle moving the ball against the Hounds.  It was also obvious that the officiating was going to be bad. 

Centerpoint was never going to win this game, but, if Newport plays like that again, they will stay home after second round.

football141414

Quote from: Leo Marvin on November 13, 2018, 08:15:10 am

I understand not being overly impressed with Newport after watching this game, but Centerpoint never threatened during this game.  It was very obvious that Centerpoint was going to struggle moving the ball against the Hounds.  It was also obvious that the officiating was going to be bad. 

Centerpoint was never going to win this game, but, if Newport plays like that again, they will stay home after second round.
Go watch the live stream.  Centerpoint stuffed newport first three possessions and marched the ball 3 or 4 times in first half. All I'm saying is newport either isn't as good as everyone thinks, or Centerpoint played a very good game the first 3 and a half quarters.  Centerpoint definatiley had there chances

Leo Marvin

November 13, 2018, 10:15:13 am #38 Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:19:26 am by Leo Marvin

Quote from: football141414 on November 13, 2018, 08:53:23 am
Go watch the live stream.  Centerpoint stuffed newport first three possessions and marched the ball 3 or 4 times in first half. All I'm saying is newport either isn't as good as everyone thinks, or Centerpoint played a very good game the first 3 and a half quarters.  Centerpoint definatiley had there chances

Newport took a 14-0 lead with 6:47 left in second quarter.  Newport never was threatened. It would be like nails on a chalkboard to go back and watch that game.  It was Newport's worst performance of the year, and I think any playoff team out of the 3-3A would have beaten the Hounds that night. 

FNL_hero

Newport vs McGehee should be a good game. Depending on if Newport decides to play all four quarters and not wait till the second half to play football.

Razorhummer

Quote from: FNL_hero on November 13, 2018, 11:23:13 am
Newport vs McGehee should be a good game. Depending on if Newport decides to play all four quarters and not wait till the second half to play football.
Agreed. Newport can't wait till the second half and decide to play football against a team like McGehee. If they come out and play four quarters the Hounds should be fine and get revenge from last season and move on to travel and play either Clinton or Prescott. As for the Hounds they haven't had any luck in the playoffs with schools or former schools from the 8-4A. They lost to Fordyce in the quarterfinals in 06, lost to Dumas in the 2nd round in 07, lost to Dollarway in the semifinals in 08, lost to Star City in the 1st round in 2014 and to McGehee last season. Hopefully the Hounds will end that Friday Night.

Senior Roger

McGehee, yall got this. Play with heart. Play smart. And get some good film sessions in.
Owls by 6

Leo Marvin

I watched some of last year's game between these two teams.  The defenses both dominated.  Does Mcgehee have all those guys back?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Leo Marvin on November 15, 2018, 05:03:34 pm
I watched some of last year's game between these two teams.  The defenses both dominated.  Does Mcgehee have all those guys back?
No

Leo Marvin

Leo Marvin

Quote from: ISU7 on November 11, 2018, 10:11:45 am
I think Newport covers the fake punt this season and gets the win at home. ;D

Ouch, Too soon!!

Jimbo Morphis

1wildcat

I watched the a replay of the Newport/Osceola game and got the impression that if they were to play 3 times Newport would probably win two of them. It was the slow start that doomed them in that one. But then I watched part of the Centerpoint game and even though Centerpoint was never going to win it, I saw another slow start for Newport.

Is this typical for Newport or did I just happen to catch their two worst starts this year? Granted they have a good team and when they get it going they are hard to stop. But this is the main reason I think they won't survive McGehee.
Them Owls are going to come out firing on all cylinders. And play really good defense.

One more question about Newport. Where are the fans? Maybe I'm just used to seeing the crowds at Rison but for as good a team as Newport has I would have thought there would be a lot better fan support, especially for a home playoff game.

sprained ankle

November 16, 2018, 05:57:33 am #48 Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:03:25 am by sprained ankle
The Owls are going to be wondering "WHO LET THEM DAWGS OUT"

Leo Marvin

Quote from: 1wildcat on November 16, 2018, 12:58:37 am
I watched the a replay of the Newport/Osceola game and got the impression that if they were to play 3 times Newport would probably win two of them. It was the slow start that doomed them in that one. But then I watched part of the Centerpoint game and even though Centerpoint was never going to win it, I saw another slow start for Newport.

Is this typical for Newport or did I just happen to catch their two worst starts this year? Granted they have a good team and when they get it going they are hard to stop. But this is the main reason I think they won't survive McGehee.
Them Owls are going to come out firing on all cylinders. And play really good defense.

One more question about Newport. Where are the fans? Maybe I'm just used to seeing the crowds at Rison but for as good a team as Newport has I would have thought there would be a lot better fan support, especially for a home playoff game.

I don't know if Newport would beat Osceola two out of three.  It's hard to get the feel for the amount of speed Osceola has by watching a video.  They can go! If Newport happens to get a rematch (it would have to be at WMS),  I don't think the Hounds make as many mistakes, and it would be a different game.

Newport had a full house for the Osceola game even though we had steady rain right up until kickoff, and we've had great crowds all year.  The crowd was disappointing for Centerpoint.  It was cold and windy, but, you're right, you should expect a large home crowd.  Also, Newport has lots of seats for a 3A venue. 

The week before they played Osceola, Newport used a fast start to put away Piggott early.  I do bet Newport's coaches have been on the players about coming out and having a good start.  For what's it's worth, Newport has been a better second half team. Hopefully Newport plays all 4 quarters this week!   

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas