• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2018-2019

Started by beach bum, November 07, 2018, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

South Carolina game ..... Part Two

bdubyab60

Just so everyone knows and the folks that talk about the recruits coming in. One top 100 recruit offered, pretty much zero chance to get him. All other offers all the recruits are ranked higher than 100. Highest ranked is 136 all others are above 150. All athletic projects.

Ridiculous

beach bum

I had noticed that I haven't heard diddly about recruiting... Not a good sign

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 16, 2019, 09:09:48 pm
South Carolina game ..... Part Two
Im sure we will make a run and get back in it. Just enough to give us hope

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 16, 2019, 09:14:52 pm
I had noticed that I haven't heard diddly about recruiting... Not a good sign
Supposedly justice is killing everyone in practice. By what I'm watching it's no wonder he is

bdubyab60

Biggest game of the year with the most on the line. Everything in our favor and we are playing like this so far

bulldoghistorian

bulldoghistorian

When Gafford picked up his 3rd foul with 18 minutes left, I knew we were in trouble!

bdubyab60

We were in trouble before that. For a coach that prides himself on depth. We have none.

We have a few decent players. But past Gafford, joe, and Jones we don't have a single consistent offensive threat.

Our experienced players haven't gotten better. Gabe can barely dribble and Bailey is right with him. Simpson and Sills have some potential and Chaney as well.

We need basketball players not athletes and projects

Only way we get in the tourney is win out or the SEC tourney. And I'm not so sure with the schedule we have if we don't finish out of the NIT

Trojanbird

This is beyond the point of sad!  Anderson has gotten too comfortable and can no longer motivate his players.  It is time for him to go!

AirWarren

Was there tonight. The Mrs got me tickets for valentines. Scarce crowd. Boring crowd.

Apathy.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 16, 2019, 10:07:04 pm
We were in trouble before that. For a coach that prides himself on depth. We have none.

We have a few decent players. But past Gafford, joe, and Jones we don't have a single consistent offensive threat.

Our experienced players haven't gotten better. Gabe can barely dribble and Bailey is right with him. Simpson and Sills have some potential and Chaney as well.

We need basketball players not athletes and projects

Only way we get in the tourney is win out or the SEC tourney. And I'm not so sure with the schedule we have if we don't finish out of the NIT
we won't make the tournament this year would loose the first round if we did.Very sad.

bdubyab60

So for the folks holding out hope for the future. And don't get me wrong we got a few good players.

We have Justice Hill, everyone says is underrated 3* ranked 140ish

2 bigs they are looking to replace Gafford if he leaves. Both 3* ranked 170ish and 180ish.

Javon Franklin- unranked and coming of a serious broken leg that required surgery and is still noticeably limping.

Another guard unranked.

Now I'm well aware that low ranked players can develop and some are underrated. It's just concerning that we aren't in on any higher rated recruits

Lumberjackfan1978

It seems we can't recruit any top ranked recruits we can only hope to develop them

bdubyab60

The only top ones we get are in state guys who want to be Hogs. So MA is abou 50/50 on the highest rated in state guys

Trojanbird

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 18, 2019, 12:40:50 am
It seems we can't recruit any top ranked recruits we can only hope to develop them
Develope players is another thing that Anderson can not do!

dirtybird12

How does Hog nation feel about a Kelvin Sampson hire? Yuracheck brought him on at Houston and look at the success they are having.

They are also good friends and I get that its a risky moved based on precedent, but the man wins games.

bdubyab60

Quote from: dirtybird12 on February 20, 2019, 10:43:09 am
How does Hog nation feel about a Kelvin Sampson hire? Yuracheck brought him on at Houston and look at the success they are having.

They are also good friends and I get that its a risky moved based on precedent, but the man wins games.
Think of what all these other coaches have done here recently. Paying players, prostitutes and who knows what else.

Sampson texted recruits during no contact periods . That was his violation if I remember correctly. Buy the guy a burner phone

bdubyab60

Look how full auburn student section is

beach bum

14-1 auburn just minutes into the game

bdubyab60

Wow what a start. I think we are about to be like a Texas oil well. Gonna get drilled

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 07:43:45 pm
14-1 auburn just minutes into the game
MA said they actually worked really hard in defending the 3 point shot

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 20, 2019, 07:44:49 pm
MA said they actually worked really hard in defending the 3 point shot

It might help if our guys quit flailing themselves on the ground after horrible shot selction allowing 4 on 2's and 3 on 1's ... I don't even know what they are doing at this point

beach bum

What does it take to play Henderson before Gabe O? Literally if Ethan Henderson is not better than him why on Earth was he ever listed as the #29 recruit in the nation last year? Seriously why does Gabe ever step on the court? It's like watching junior high basketball.

bdubyab60

Anyone that thinks osa helps this team is crazy. Anything he does hustle wise he completely negates with plays like that.

That's what 6 treys already and all wide open

beach bum

You have admitted it way before me and this is the first time me acknowledging it but..... if we don't win 3 or 4 of the last 5 games I think MA is sent packing by the AD

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 07:51:05 pm
What does it take to play Henderson before Gabe O? Literally if Ethan Henderson is not better than him why on Earth was he ever listed as the #29 recruit in the nation last year? Seriously why does Gabe ever step on the court? It's like watching junior high basketball.
One reason. Mike plays his upperclassmen as much as he can. It's as simply as that. After the MSU loss he was asked what he thought of Witherspoons game. Well he's a junior that's what juniors do. I see freshman better than juniors every time I watch a game

beach bum

Texas A&M, Alabama , and Ole Miss @ home are all on paper winnable games

Vanderbilt on the road you can't lose.... They can't beat anyone and if we lose to them that is horrible

Kentucky will beat us by 30 at Rupp

A 1-4 or 2-3 record in those 5 I think he won't be here.... 3-2 may even be iffy at this point

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 07:54:10 pm
You have admitted it way before me and this is the first time me acknowledging it but..... if we don't win 3 or 4 of the last 5 games I think MA is sent packing by the AD
Im a HOG fan. Not a coach fan. This program is better than anything MA has led us to so far. I have no confidence it will change. There's nothing in the pipeline that says it will and MA needs seasoned players to make things happen. His poor roster management isn't going to allow that to happen.

Tired of hearing about the no losing seasons. Look at our OOC schedule. MA is smart in that regard. We literally have one good win this year. One

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 07:58:13 pm
Texas A&M, Alabama , and Ole Miss @ home are all on paper winnable games

Vanderbilt on the road you can't lose.... They can't beat anyone and if we lose to them that is horrible

Kentucky will beat us by 30 at Rupp

A 1-4 or 2-3 record in those 5 I think he won't be here.... 3-2 may even be iffy at this point
I actually think we lose to Vandy in the road

bdubyab60

Remember when we shot 70% and barely won. This is what it should look like when you shoot 70%

bdubyab60

beach bum

February 20, 2019, 08:32:05 pm #282 Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:33:40 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on February 20, 2019, 08:06:39 pm
Remember when we shot 70% and barely won. This is what it should look like when you shoot 70%

I was actually thinking how is our record not better when we have a guy who shots 44% from three's and at a high volume too, a guy who is 7th in assist/turnover ratio, and a first round NBA big man..... Honestly it makes no sense we aren't at least sitting at like 4 more wins than we have.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 08:32:05 pm
I was actually thinking how is our record not better when we have a guy who shots 44% from three's and at a high volume too, a guy who is 7th in assist/turnover ratio, and a first round NBA big man..... Honestly it makes no sense we aren't at least sitting at like 4 more wins than we have.
we should have a few more wins but we don't we have no guidance

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on February 20, 2019, 08:32:05 pm
Because overall that % is around 30% and mid 60s on free throws. And all the talk about our defense is when it's good it's just really ok but when it's bad it's really bad.

And I've seen a lot of folks hey we are still on the bubble. Would I take making the tourney? Yes of course. But just think of how bad the field is for us to make it as an at large bid. But I mean hey we aren't as bad as those teams.

One time under MA we didn't have to play out way in at the end of the year. Once. The other two years we had to go on runs late in the year to get off the bubble.

I wanna be in the conference title talk late in the year. Be solidly in with 10 games to go. In the talk for a 1, 2 or 3 seed. Getting the prime spot in ESPN in a major match up.

Remember on Saturdays win it was the highly ranked HOGs against the highly ranked whoever. I do. This program is still capable of this

AirWarren

I honestly think he has lost this team. LR and Arkansas has too much talent to let go to waste like he has done. Also, Mike does not do a good job of recruiting. Period. It has just become a monkey dung flinging crap show at this point.

Yes, this is a VERY young team. But when you have Daniel at the top of the key guarding a PG due to the way our defense is set up, that is an issue. DG is not Lebron, he cannot play C, PF, or G like he can. Unfortunately, it is time for Mike and his staff of homies to go. 

With that said, I did not even watch the game last night. I am not going to waste my evenings any more just like I stopped wasting my Saturdays on the football team until things show improvement.

DerekOxford

From what I'm hearing, it's going to be up to Mike whether or not he wants to be the coach here for 2019 and beyond.

He can either shake up his staff (which he has never done short of reassigning Zimmerman to radio and putting Scotty on bench) and remain or say no and be given his buyout and be thanked for his services.

It will be a test to see how loyal Mike is. As frustrating as Mike can be, he has also been married to a very unengaged, unmotivated staff for too long. Recruiting is what assistant coaches do. His assistants aren't good at it. Other than landing two in-state kids that wanted to be Hogs regardless, and then talking the number of JUCOs and transfers in (C. Clarke, A. Harris, F. Gulley, D. Hannahs, D. Macon, J. Barford) they haven't landed any true game-changing players.

Lumberjackfan1978

I honestly think mike is through at Arkansas

Trojanbird

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on February 21, 2019, 09:59:40 pm
I honestly think mike is through at Arkansas
I hope he is!  It should not be his decision whether he is here next year or not.  IMO
FIRE MIKE!!!!!

bdubyab60

Quote from: DerekOxford on February 21, 2019, 09:40:03 pm
From what I'm hearing, it's going to be up to Mike whether or not he wants to be the coach here for 2019 and beyond.

He can either shake up his staff (which he has never done short of reassigning Zimmerman to radio and putting Scotty on bench) and remain or say no and be given his buyout and be thanked for his services.

It will be a test to see how loyal Mike is. As frustrating as Mike can be, he has also been married to a very unengaged, unmotivated staff for too long. Recruiting is what assistant coaches do. His assistants aren't good at it. Other than landing two in-state kids that wanted to be Hogs regardless, and then talking the number of JUCOs and transfers in (C. Clarke, A. Harris, F. Gulley, D. Hannahs, D. Macon, J. Barford) they haven't landed any true game-changing players.
Mike is loyal to a fault. Admirable as it is he need to get with today's game if he is to take the next step.

bdubyab60

bulldoghistorian

Out rebounded 35-17
Bet we don't win another game

bdubyab60

bulldoghistorian

This team hasn't been the same since the collapse at South Carolina

AirWarren

bigworm

bdubyab60

And the mantra from Anderson continues about the youth. MA is now hot in the JUCO trail to try and find the next Macon and Barford to save his job next year

bdubyab60

He did at least say he has to do a better job

Romeo

In regards to recruiting, a lot of fans are not aware of the negative aspect of recruiting. There is a lot of shadiness that goes on behind the scenes among coaches when recruiting players. Mike Anderson got a lot of attention from Kentucky fans after the blowby handshakes he gave Calipari. That wasn't for no reason. If what I've heard Calipari was saying is true when recruiting Archie Goodwin and Malik Monk, he was lucky he didn't get clocked. That's still not an excuse for the sub-par recruiting, but I can at least give credit to MA for doing things the right way and not stooping down to the level of other coaches. He's a good guy who's loyal to his assistants and has integrity, and unfortunately, that'll probably be what get's him fired at Arkansas.

bdubyab60

To add more to the Monk story and I was hoping they would change their mind when the time came. But his freshman year at EPC I was told by someone extremely close to him that Mike was to old fashioned and that they preferred Calipari. That was straight to me.

As far as MA though I do admire that he is extremely loyal, seems to do things the right way and no he isn't the worst coach. Just hasn't taken that next step to relevance, only brought us back to the middle of the pack.

You cannot raise a program to the relevance/prominence this program is capable of. If you don't eaither recruit at a high level or build consistent depth and develop players. To many transfers for Mike to do this the way he is trying to do it. He knows only one way to coach and won't change his style to fit today's game. We don't wear anyone down anymore and actually we often times look like the tired team and playing teams with shorter rotations. Yiu have to have basketball players not just athletes and projects.

Arkansas should be firmly behind Kentucky at the top of the SEC. we technically are in wins but it's just numbers. There is no substance to the numbers. Mike has padded his OOC for the most part with moderate to easy wins and just about every time we have had a chance to take the next step we have failed miserably.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas