• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2018-2019

Started by beach bum, November 07, 2018, 11:18:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beach bum

The time is now upon us.... Beat those Longhorns  ;D

-I am going to go optimistic and say we go 10-8 in the SEC and lose 3 non conference games

- I think that will be good enough to get us in the NCAA tournament as about a 10 seed, maybe 9 seed at best

sportsguy80

I'm curious to see how fast our youngsters will come along. Another interesting year in conference with a bunch of solid teams again.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 07, 2018, 02:16:53 pm
I'm curious to see how fast our youngsters will come along. Another interesting year in conference with a bunch of solid teams again.

-Tennessee, Kentucky, and Mississippi State should be a cut above the other 11

- I think Auburn falls back to earth and gets in the 2nd tier along with LSU who is set to rise

- After that we have as good as anyone to get the 6th & 7th spots which should get them in the NCAA tourney

beach bum

November 07, 2018, 02:31:23 pm #3 Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:35:31 pm by beach bum
I will be brave enough to pick the league....... I think everyone will be solid except for Ole Miss and Georgia.

1.Tennessee 15-3
2.Mississippi State 12-6
3.Kentucky 12-6
4.Auburn 11-7
5. LSU 11-7
6.Arkansas 10-8
7.South Carolina 9-9
8.Missouri 9-9
9.Florida 8-10
10.Vanderbilt 8-10
11.Alabama 7-11
12.Texas A&M 7-11
13. Ole Miss 4-14
14. Georgia 3-15

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on November 07, 2018, 02:31:23 pm
I will be brave enough to pick the league....... I think everyone will be solid except for Ole Miss and Georgia.

1.Tennessee 15-3
2.Mississippi State 12-6
3.Kentucky 12-6
4.Auburn 11-7
5. LSU 11-7
6.Arkansas 10-8
7.South Carolina 9-9
8.Missouri 9-9
9.Florida 8-10
10.Vanderbilt 8-10
11.Alabama 7-11
12.Texas A&M 7-11
13. Ole Miss 4-14
14. Georgia 3-15
I can go along with this list. Mizzou may surprise some but who knows...

bdubyab60

I see from 6-10 depending on how these freshmen come along. I don't think Kentucky loses 6 league games. I wouldn't hold that Duke throttling against them to much. Duke is freaking loaded and it wouldn't be surprising to see them win it all. I do think that game really showed who the better coach was though.

AirWarren

Well....we are finally going to see what this class can do. This class and the 2019 class is what MA has been waiting on....

Hopefully it comes to fruition for him....

Go hogs! Beat those horns!

High Voltage

I think Kentucky will improve as time goes by and will not lose 6 conference games and I think Arkansas will be better than 10-8 in conference barring any major injuries. I say 12-6 in conference and we lose 1 noncon game.

beach bum

November 09, 2018, 09:25:01 pm #8 Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:26:39 pm by beach bum
Quote from: AirWarren on November 09, 2018, 08:32:48 am
Well....we are finally going to see what this class can do. This class and the 2019 class is what MA has been waiting on....

Hopefully it comes to fruition for him....

Go hogs! Beat those horns!

To lose that way absolutely stings..... from the highlights though I can tell we have a real point guard and Isiah Joe is going to be the real deal for the future. We are going to be just fine the next few years if he can add pieces to this.

bdubyab60

Free throws cost us big time. Absolutely should have fouled them before that 3 to send it in to OT

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 10, 2018, 12:02:12 pm
Free throws cost us big time. Absolutely should have fouled them before that 3 to send it in to OT

Spot on analysis.... Free throws can be the factor between finishing with a 3-6 or 6-3 in record in games decided by 5 or less points. I worry a bit that may be a trend with this team's front court.

I will say though that was the first time in years to see an Arkansas team not have defensive break downs all the time. Could that be cause Texas wasn't good offensively? We'll see as time goes by, but the defense is certainly better. I am not saying we are an NCAA tourney team, but its obvious we are not bottom 3 or 4 in the SEC with what we have. Now, its just that more vital to beat Indiana and Georgia Tech coming up. I wanted 2 out of 3 of those and we got to get the other two now.

bdubyab60

I think the reason we didn't see as many breakdowns is we are more athletic now. Over the past couple years we have had guys that were challenged defensively. Also some that wanted to concentrate on scoring more.

I think we are for sure middle of the pack. Bench has to do some scoring. Think we got 4 points from the bench or something like that.

IMO we will do good to make the NIT and once these new guys get some seasoning we should be pretty good hopefully.

beach bum

A little bit of a lull late in the first half and early in the 2nd half, but we finally pulled away from UC Davis 81-58.... Mason Jones has been the surprise for me the first two games.... Bailey had a career high too and seems to have improved his jumper. On to Indiana on Sunday. We got to have this after the Texas loss in OT

bdubyab60

Indiana will be a tough one. They just punished Marquette. Will have to play solid to beat them

beach bum

Anybody going tomorrow to the Indiana game? I work a 12 hour day on Sundays so I am quite sad I can't make this one as it was the game I wanted to go to more than any on the home slate.

sportsguy80

Quote from: beach bum on November 17, 2018, 09:24:18 am
Anybody going tomorrow to the Indiana game? I work a 12 hour day on Sundays so I am quite sad I can't make this one as it was the game I wanted to go to more than any on the home slate.
I may go but I'm still debating myself due to me having some weekend work to catch up on since this we'll be a short work week.

beach bum

Quote from: sportsguy80 on November 17, 2018, 12:13:36 pm
I may go but I'm still debating myself due to me having some weekend work to catch up on since this we'll be a short work week.

Should be a great atmosphere and hopefully our freshmen and transfers in handle it.... I hope someone on here gets to see it in person tomorrow.

bdubyab60

Solid first half. Had some opportunities to be up 6 or 8. Crowd is really in to it

sportsguy80

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 18, 2018, 03:27:24 pm
Solid first half. Had some opportunities to be up 6 or 8. Crowd is really in to it
I agree. If we can cut down on the turnovers and missed layups, we should be in good shape. I'm liking our balance scoring too.

HorseFeathers

sportsguy80

bdubyab60

Gafford was a beast in the second half. FTs are gonna cost a few games. But great poise down the stretch, could have folded when IU took the lead . That's a solid win.

Ball bounced our way at the end. I'm expecting a lot of games like this one this year. A lot of nail biters

AirWarren

Good win.

I feel like these young folks will really start gelling as the season goes on.

beach bum

Just saw the highlights and box score.... Gafford was a monster on 12/15 shooting, 12 rebounds, and a few blocks. He is such an easy guy to root for too with his laid back personality. We needed that cause all in all that was an awful weekend for U of A athletics as a whole. I know some others may not follow the non revenue sports, but I try to follow most and it was such an underwhelming weekend until this Indiana win to boost the spirits cause....

The football team did not even look like it cared about anything!

Men's and women's cross country had its worst showing ever at the NCAA Championship Meet  finishing 25th in mens when we were expected near the top 10. The women where in slight consideration for the title, and finished 14th. Some people had horrible races at the wrong time when they had been running faster times in earlier season meets. That was just awful by their standards.

The women's soccer team lost in the round of 32 when they were the superior team. We were a 5 seed and Virginia Tech was a 13 seed and barely made the NCAA tournament. Va Tech upset Texas and now upset our women on their way to now being a 13 seed in the sweet 16 there.

So glad the basketball team got that huge win.

bdubyab60

The series where he had the dunk then the steal was awesome. He was gassed and still made the plays.

beach bum

I'll be at the game tonight and Friday. We should win them comfortably and I imagine MA will try to get some guys in certain spots to see how he needs to use the second unit when conference play starts. Our starting lineup is fine, but we're going to need better play from the bench. I still think MA is about a year or two away from getting his top 8-10 guys how he truly wants it.

BannerMountainMan

This team is about to surprise a lot of folks! WPS, with the way the schedule is we could be 11-1 going into SEC play but we are going to have to not have a really bad game.

beach bum

Got to see them in person last night.... Came out hot. We ended up winning by 25 and that was playing our 2nd unit a lot the last 25 minutes of the game. Montana State had a starter from Hot Springs which I thought was pretty cool. Our state is starting to produce players even if its at the lower tier DI's that is still nice to see. If they're not good enough to play here its still nice seeing them at schools like Montana State.

AirWarren

Breath of fresh air from what we have gotten during football season.

bdubyab60

Our conference schedule will determine where this team ends up.

Main concerns are what we will look like when starters get in foul trouble. Scoring drops off a bit when those guys are out. Hopefully some of those guys step up. We also still leave a lot of open shots from the perimeter.

Think we will still have a lot of 50/50 ballgames in league play.

Still better than what's happening on the field by a long shot. That's one thing you don't have to worry about is effort with an MA team.

Gafford is an absolute beast. Man to have him for another year would be great, fairly sure that ain't happening. But adding Justice Hill next season could make this a deepnrun team. We will see.

When this team can get up and down they are really fun to watch

bdubyab60

Ugly game right now. To much turkey and ham yesterday

bdubyab60

Heck of a night at the line. Ugly game throughout. Tons of fouls called on both teams. Kept both teams from getting in to any rhythm.

Pulled away in the end and young guys are getting some valuable minutes

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 24, 2018, 08:23:08 am
Heck of a night at the line. Ugly game throughout. Tons of fouls called on both teams. Kept both teams from getting in to any rhythm.

Pulled away in the end and young guys are getting some valuable minutes

Got to go to the last two games, and it was very pleasant to see us win a game stylistic like that cause we never could the last few years. We shot 13% from the three point line and less than 40% from the field and still won by 18. I will say UT Arlington has by far the best defense we have faced out of the three mid majors so far. They will have a chance at an NCAA tourney berth in their conference unlike UC Davis or Montana State cause their defense was light years beyond those two we had previously played. They did a great job getting back on defense and it really took us time to adjust in the half court (again we could not play in the half court the last few years and can now it appears)..... The last 25 minutes or so of the game it was great to see us finally knock free throws down. We took so many charges which the previous years teams would never do. And to add we have a point guard with about 20 assists and only 2 turnovers in the last 3 games. So great to have a real point guard running the show.

bdubyab60

Last year was to much one on one with Macon and Barford.

I noticed when we played IU we had way more assists than they did. Just shows we are playing as a team. And these guys don't stand around waiting for someone to make a play.

I still think we are gonna have a lot of close games this year.

Wanna see what the Phillips Kidd looks like when he gets in shape. I'd expect him to move up the depth chart.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on November 24, 2018, 04:07:14 pm
Last year was to much one on one with Macon and Barford.

I noticed when we played IU we had way more assists than they did. Just shows we are playing as a team. And these guys don't stand around waiting for someone to make a play.

I still think we are gonna have a lot of close games this year.

Wanna see what the Phillips Kidd looks like when he gets in shape. I'd expect him to move up the depth chart.

Phillips should get some minutes at least as the season progresses. Cheaney is just the type of guy you like in his role. He is so aggressive. The one guy who has laid on egg is Ethan Henderson. Honestly, the 12-15 minutes I have seen him play he looks clumsy and lost. He was the highest rated player in the whole class is the head scratching part. I agree with you its great to see us get way more assists and ball movement.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Chaney seems like a slightly more polished version of Qualls and I can see him maybe sliding into 6th/7th man later on this season. He'll be a staple in the lineup in a couple years, maybe sooner than later

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on November 24, 2018, 04:31:14 pm

Phillips should get some minutes at least as the season progresses. Cheaney is just the type of guy you like in his role. He is so aggressive. The one guy who has laid on egg is Ethan Henderson. Honestly, the 12-15 minutes I have seen him play he looks clumsy and lost. He was the highest rated player in the whole class is the head scratching part. I agree with you its great to see us get way more assists and ball movement.
Henderson seems skinny to me. Needs to develop some more. At least that's what it looks like to me.

beach bum

Beat FIU and Colorado State back to back.... Albeit they are bad teams they like to go up and down and we got to play the type of game MA likes. We also against UT Arlington & Indiana played slower, grind it out type games. I like that we are being successful no matter the style the game takes over that night.

Also, how about Jalen Harris being 2nd in the nation so far in assists/turnover ratio. He has another 12 assists last night in Fort Collins. He may just lead the SEC in assists and just think we have him two more years after this. Its amazing how a true unselfish point guard with a tenacity will totally change a team for the positive. We have not had a guard who can alter a game without even scoring in about two decades until now.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Harris and Bailey have developed into key players on the team. Gabe O. is also getting a spot in the rotation ironed out. The depth is honestly probably better than we've had in a while. The SEC isn't very deep outside Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ms. St/LSU so far, so this team could go far

AirWarren

Quote from: PokeyRedskinStudentScout on December 06, 2018, 05:53:27 pm
Harris and Bailey have developed into key players on the team. Gabe O. is also getting a spot in the rotation ironed out. The depth is honestly probably better than we've had in a while. The SEC isn't very deep outside Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Ms. St/LSU so far, so this team could go far

Adrio looks great this year!

Trojanbird

If these guys stay away from the selfish attitude of the previous teams, then I like our chances!  It's nice to see the ball movement versus Beard jacking some dumb shot.

WPWells

This team is fun to watch. This feels like what I expected MA teams to feel like this whole time.

The best part is that everyone should be back next year (besides Gafford), and we'll be adding Justice Hill!

bdubyab60

bdubyab60

beach bum

That's a bad loss.... I hope we end up getting this right cause if we end up on the bubble that's one of those losses that ends up in the "bad loss" category and keeps you out. We absolutely can not lose another non conference game cause our SOS out of conference honestly is not as strong as last year.

I will say the big guy they have has to be one of the best mid major big guys in college right now.

bdubyab60

Shouldn't lose that game at home. Same problems continue to plague MA teams. Shooters being left wide open and not being able to score when the game is slowed down.

That's why I have not gotten to overly excited. Say what you want this is a bubble team at best in my opinion. We haven't beaten anyone yet. Indiana is an ok win, not a great one. And this loss trumps that win for now. Wouldn't be surprised if we didn't drop a couple more before conference play.

Really this league hasn't looked to good overall.
Gafford has to man up on that last defensive possession. Not a good time to try and flop to get a call.

On to the next one

bulldoghistorian

Tough loss, especially at home. First home non-conference loss in 3 seasons. If there's a silver lineing, Kentucky lost at home today by 1 to Seaton Hall in OT.

PokeyRedskinStudentScout

Western Kentucky planned well for what we were gonna throw at them, but you'd think we'd at least try to change some things up in the second half. And just when it looks like free throws are fixed, they go back down. The SEC is not deep this year, and if we can fix some minor things that are major components, we can be a tourney team.

bdubyab60

Quote from: bulldoghistorian on December 08, 2018, 04:56:27 pm
Tough loss, especially at home. First home non-conference loss in 3 seasons. If there's a silver lineing, Kentucky lost at home today by 1 to Seaton Hall in OT.
Madison Square Garden

beach bum

December 08, 2018, 07:39:42 pm #49 Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 07:42:47 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 08, 2018, 07:18:00 pm
Madison Square Garden

It should have essentially been a home game for Seton Hall considering their campus is only 17 miles from MSG..... however when that guy made the half court shot to send it to OT you saw how well the Kentucky fan base travels and is national when 90% of the crowd was UK fans going nuts in excitement lol.

The two times I have seen us play Kentucky at the Bud there is about 500-600 Kentucky fans there. They are national fans and rabid.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas