• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

North region refs

Started by Gray lizard, February 24, 2018, 04:55:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray lizard

Refs at the North region.
Just wanted others thoughts.
I am not saying it was swayed to any team, but just awful.
The crew that called the Pottsville Ozark game has no business being on the court.  It was so bad.  Like I said I don't think either team had an advantage.

athletic supporter

Who lost? I'm going to guess Pottsville or you wouldn't have brought it up.

1-Adam-12

February 24, 2018, 07:44:44 pm #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:46:26 pm by 1-Adam-12
Booneville and Pea Ridge was called pretty fair. Some missed calls but none that affected the outcome.  But that was a different crew.

There was one badly missed call during the girls' game that I saw and it benefitted Pottsville.  Ball went OB off #3 and it was given back to PHS, who then scored.  There may have been others.

Bulldog92

Watched our girls play all over the state this year and it's bad no matter where you play Home or away!!  Had the assignment secretary sitting there watching the game tonight but he was terrible when he was still refereeing!!!  Until AAA wakes up and decides that maybe they need to check into all the complaints that they get about this it will never change!!!  I believe all we ask for is consistency in the calling and I don't believe that is to much to ask for!!

Gray lizard

Quote from: athletic supporter on February 24, 2018, 06:07:15 pm
Who lost? I'm going to guess Pottsville or you wouldn't have brought it up.
Has nothing to do with who I support.  I watched all games Friday and Saturday. I  think teams have to adjust every game.
Half of the games Pottsville was not playing.

WattsOzark

How did you feel about the crew in the district tournament final?  I posted my thoughts on it in the thread.

Ozark Hog

I have been watching basketball for a long time, and I thought I had seen it all but if that is the best official's that the AAA can put on the court at the regional's  then people something is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!     But we all know the AAA is just in it for all the money they can get don't seem to care about the game.I have not talked to anyone from the other sites but dang it was terrible here. I told one of the fans I was talking to, that I hoped those guys were not driving home with those eyes because I would be afraid to meet them on the road.LOL
Let be the first to say they have a hard job, but in the games I watched and that I most of them, the players never knew from one play to next what would be considered as a foul. But enough about the refs nothing is going to change anyway on to the games.

On boys side Pottsville made it clear that they were the best in north region beating Berryville on their home court by double figure. what made it more impressive was that I talked to some of  their fans and was told that one of their best 3 point shooters was still not 100% after an injury and only played a few minutes of the game. I was expecting a much closer game.  Pottsville should do well in state. Berryville needs some help  at the point guard position doesn't handle pressure very good. Pea Ridge if the outside shoots are falling is pretty good probably should have been in finals. From the games I watched Boonville is pretty good just not consistent
Girls side Berryville played well on home court and should do well in state, I will be the second year in roll to win region.  It will be interesting to see how they do against a team with physical guards and post players as or bigger than them. Always little easier to play  on home court in big game.
Gravette good team speed press well But Berryville hurt them with two big girls on inside. Hand to explain how they beat Ozark like a drum and had already beat Berryville and come out in finals and play so bad.
Ozark another mystery played terrible against Gravette and then beat Pottsville who they lost to by 16 in district. going to have a hard first round matchup.
Pottsville, they kind of looked like they forgot how to guard anyone. for sure not the team I watched against Ozark in district. Hard first round match up also.
But this is the same team who played in state finals last year.
So good luck to all the teams from North and this time of year you never know who going to get on a hot streak, and that is what makes it so much fun.

Gray lizard

Quote from: WattsOzark on February 25, 2018, 11:54:41 am
How did you feel about the crew in the district tournament final?  I posted my thoughts on it in the thread.
I thought they allowed to much contact out side of the lane. I just would like to see constant standard in games called.  Calls very way to much from game to game.

Gray lizard

Ozark Hog I agree with you.
I love watching the Pottsville girls play when they play fast.  I did not see that from them this weekend.  I hate to say this but I don't think all the girls hearts are into it.  You have to want it and show up for every game. 
Good luck to all the team form the North at State.

Ozark Hog

I agree with you when I was at Pottsville when they played Ozark our girls was not getting the uncontested 3 pointers and they couldn't drive the lane the defense was all over us. You leave us that wide open and they will stick the 3 ball!  Didn't even look like the same team. I did notice that one of the starters was limping is she the one that was hurt a couple week back?
Pottsville coach getting a T late in the game didn't help matters either, still was anybody's ball game. I talked to some of Pottsville fans and they were upset because Ozarks point guard played the whole game and didn't have a foul called on her. I didn't even know that until they told me. Guess some nights you just get lucky, but I will say it is pretty rare, but I want complain!
Good luck to Pottsville and maybe they can meet again in state!

Gray lizard

A rematch between Ozark and Pottsville could happen.  I would sure like to see Ozark knock off CAC.  I would think they will get by Warren for the game with CAC.

StevenGlen

Quote from: Ozark Hog on February 26, 2018, 09:33:21 am
I agree with you when I was at Pottsville when they played Ozark our girls was not getting the uncontested 3 pointers and they couldn't drive the lane the defense was all over us. You leave us that wide open and they will stick the 3 ball!  Didn't even look like the same team.  I talked to some of Pottsville fans and they were upset because Ozarks point guard played the whole game and didn't have a foul called on her.

Of course I've slept since then we are talking about Ariel Walker, right? I had to check my stat sheet but I did not have her with any fouls, and I had not noticed either.  Honestly I do not remember any plays where it looked to me like she committed a foul and got away with something.  She just played well the entire contest. There was one play where she and a Pottsville player collided and the call went Walker's way but I seem to recall thinking that was the correct call as it appeared that the Lady Apache player moved in under Walker late. She took the ball to the basket several times in the first half and that opened up things outside for her and Ladd.   

Charlie1001

There were definitely some missed calls and some that possibly swung a couple of games. It's no secret that coaching and game play have advanced over the years while officiating quality has declined.  Parenting is probably the only thing that has declined more.

LRRandy

You know, there are going to be bad calls in every game. So, as best as you can try and take the opportunity for the official to mess you up away. In the Baptist Prep v BSS game for example. One of our players was called for a technical for shoving back after a cheap shot/punk move by a BSS player. It's always the second guy isn't it. Ok bad call. Our guy shouldn't have retaliated to the bush league play. It was early enough in the game for Baptist to work their way back even though that call gave BSS the advantage.

End of game. Rebound of missed last second shot that would have won the game. The official called a foul 93 feet from the basket of a tied ball game with only 1.5 seconds on the clock. That game should have went into overtime. Terrible time/place to call that foul, which I have been told really was closer to a no call.  However. There is no rebound for the official to call a foul on if the shot goes in. There is no need for a last second shot if you have a 2-3 possession lead.

I hate complaining about officiating. It is the salve to soothe the wounds of fans whose teams didn't get it done. Get it done. Or admit that the other team did what you wanted to do. Don't blame the official.

Charlie1001

Quote from: LRRandy on February 26, 2018, 06:56:36 pm
You know, there are going to be bad calls in every game. So, as best as you can try and take the opportunity for the official to mess you up away. In the Baptist Prep v BSS game for example. One of our players was called for a technical for shoving back after a cheap shot/punk move by a BSS player. It's always the second guy isn't it. Ok bad call. Our guy shouldn't have retaliated to the bush league play. It was early enough in the game for Baptist to work their way back even though that call gave BSS the advantage.

End of game. Rebound of missed last second shot that would have won the game. The official called a foul 93 feet from the basket of a tied ball game with only 1.5 seconds on the clock. That game should have went into overtime. Terrible time/place to call that foul, which I have been told really was closer to a no call.  However. There is no rebound for the official to call a foul on if the shot goes in. There is no need for a last second shot if you have a 2-3 possession lead.

I hate complaining about officiating. It is the salve to soothe the wounds of fans whose teams didn't get it done. Get it done. Or admit that the other team did what you wanted to do. Don't blame the official.

Careful.  Some people may not be able to handle the truth.

LRRandy

Quote from: Charlie1001 on February 26, 2018, 07:08:48 pm
Careful.  Some people may not be able to handle the truth.
lol. I'm not aiming at any team or player. I really am just speaking in general. Championship teams do the things necessary to win a championship. There is only one each year. That doesn't mean that there aren't other good teams and elite players. Just one champion.

Bbal789

Agree, there were questionable calls in that game which there are in every game but that last foul call with 1 second left should not have been called. That game should have gone to overtime but it is what it is and you got to move on.

Bulldog92

I don't think most people are saying that refs cost their team a victory and I don't think everyone is saying their team is the best. Most folks are just saying that they would like to see more consistency in the calling. That is not asking a lot. I go back to what I said in my first post. If AAA had some way of following up on complaints, let's just say watching film, and correcting refs an hold their feet to the fire then maybe they would do a better job.   It's not every game but it seems to have gotten a little worse over the past few years.

JessieP

I was not at that game but spoke to 4 people who were. First, you never make that call, ever. Not in high school, College or the NBA. You never decide the game on an iffy call. 3 of the people I spoke with were SS fans, they were happily shocked that ref made the call. One of them admitted that the T should have been called both ways. For whatever reason SS has a lot of wind in their sails. A lot of people want to see them win. I saw the video of the BP/SS game over a week ago and even though they lost, SS got the lion share of calls, their big man is well protected. Full disclosure, I do not like SS. They are a mouthy, cheap shot taunting team. Very cocky players and the refs seem powerless to rein them in. Someone is going to have to beat them by a 8-10 point margin, if it's close they will get the calls.

Gray lizard

Quote from: Bulldog92 on February 26, 2018, 10:14:30 pm
I don't think most people are saying that refs cost their team a victory and I don't think everyone is saying their team is the best. Most folks are just saying that they would like to see more consistency in the calling. That is not asking a lot. I go back to what I said in my first post. If AAA had some way of following up on complaints, let's just say watching film, and correcting refs an hold their feet to the fire then maybe they would do a better job.   It's not every game but it seems to have gotten a little worse over the past few years.

This is exactly what I am trying to point out. Thanks for your input.

KASH dba The Lumberjack

Several refs will definitely call for the home team especially if they are scared of the head coach. I've seen Warren supposedly commit 11 fouls and Star City have 0. I've watched Coach Gloria from Dumas walk out to center court and scold refs so bad their whistle turned into a piece of jewelry because it wasn't used to officiate after. I watched very good, evenly called first half of a Warren/ Monticello game go to crap after the assignor walked in and chatted with the refs at the half.
I'm sure everyone has stories like this.
Both my kids are out of school so it's easy for me to say this because I don't have to follow them around to every game anymore. The way to get to the AAA is to stop going to games. Drain the Swamp. Hit them in the pocket book until they address the problem.
The problem is if you enjoy the game, the true game, of basketball, and not that stupid And1 crap, you'll see reffing on all levels of competitive basketball is suspect. And there's several more dollars changing hands in college and the pros than there is in little ol' 4A tournaments.
AAA is hinky for sure, I know one board member also refs some Jr high games so I don't understand how that's not considered double dipping.
Hopefully, the officiating crew is there to get paid to call a fair game for these young men and women who've worked hard all year to get there. Hopefully the refs aren't there just for the paycheck.

(((Subi2Sweet)))

Why am I at a regional game and all 3 officials are from the north district? Can we not combine the 2 different district officials? I really don't feel it is fair to the other district to have it like this going forward.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas