• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lane Hatcher?

Started by jsky14, January 27, 2018, 03:56:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jsky14

Anyone got insight on his college choice?

Idindonuffin

I think their coaches/posters are in Florida.

Maynard G Krebs

Complete Biased PoV

Last I heard he has offers from Murray State, Eastern Illinois, Georgetown, UCA, and AR State.  Then he has invited walk-on offers from a few other bigger schools.  I think it will be interesting to see what unfolds.  I do know this, who ever gets him gets a proven winner in multiple sports.

JessieP

January 28, 2018, 04:22:04 pm #4 Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 04:43:55 pm by JessieP
I gotta say, the kid grew on me. He is not a pure passer, he misses a lot of open targets. No one fears his speed. Nothing about him screams "Blue Chip", he simply wins. His senior season he became a MacGuyver in football pads, he makes things happen. I saw him wiggle out of many many sacks. On many 3rd and 10's he's hit an 11 yard pass. He won this past season with an inferior O-line and a non-existent running game. McClellan this year and Batesville last year were in his face all game, he won both. I honestly feel he may be a Tony Romo type player, meaning no one wants him but they live to regret it. I fully expect him to have success at the next level and a lot of bigger schools are going to have a big "Oops" moment.

IAFLAR7

He could very well be a steal. If he was taller he would have plenty of offers. You can clearly see from the Landers award show standing next to Noland he is probably 5-11, 6' at best. And that's the problem, recruiting is so much about profiling now. You have to fit a specific profile in terms of height and weight for these high level D1 schools to seriously consider you. Otherwise, you're deemed a risk or a Long shot...Should be interesting to see what he does. I would think OBU would be perfect. He could be very productive in football, would probably be a national champion in wrestling and the education is nothing to sneeze at...

beach bum

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on January 30, 2018, 10:45:17 am
He could very well be a steal. If he was taller he would have plenty of offers. You can clearly see from the Landers award show standing next to Noland he is probably 5-11, 6' at best. And that's the problem, recruiting is so much about profiling now. You have to fit a specific profile in terms of height and weight for these high level D1 schools to seriously consider you. Otherwise, you're deemed a risk or a Long shot...Should be interesting to see what he does. I would think OBU would be perfect. He could be very productive in football, would probably be a national champion in wrestling and the education is nothing to sneeze at...

If I was him I would walk on at a power 5 and prove all the nayayers wrong eventually.... You can't put a value on a QB for what they possess in between their ears, their work ethic, and poise under pressure.

Overdahill

January 30, 2018, 01:42:02 pm #7 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:55:04 pm by Overdahill
Quote from: beach bum on January 30, 2018, 12:16:08 pm
If I was him I would walk on at a power 5 and prove all the nayayers wrong eventually.... You can't put a value on a QB for what they possess in between their ears, their work ethic, and poise under pressure.

I'd like to see him go Ivy League; He could probably do football and wrestle there due to the shorter seasons. But its really all about what he wants to do and I wish him well

STBruin

Commited to Arkansas State today...

Red Devil Alum

Good for Layne. ASU is getting a good one. Last PA QB that went there had a lot of success.

Maynard G Krebs

Congrats to Layne.  Happy for him

beach bum

The best QB in the state of Arkansas will be playing in Jonesboro.... Not Fayetteville.

OB11

Quote from: beach bum on February 05, 2018, 12:06:12 pm
The best QB in the state of Arkansas will be playing in Jonesboro.... Not Fayetteville.

Well he's not leaving the state. That should make some of the Hog supporters on here happy that one of the best players is staying in state. haha

As an ASU guy, I'm super happy to have him. We've got a good track record with former Bruin QB's.

beach bum

Quote from: OB11 on February 05, 2018, 01:02:55 pm
Well he's not leaving the state. That should make some of the Hog supporters on here happy that one of the best players is staying in state. haha

As an ASU guy, I'm super happy to have him. We've got a good track record with former Bruin QB's.

If he was 3 inches taller and 15-20 pounds heavier every college in the country would be drooling over him.... He is eventually going to be throwing all over Sun Belt competition with his ability.

Hogman2018

Quote from: beach bum on February 05, 2018, 12:06:12 pm
I disagree Noland is a lot better than him!!

beach bum

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 05, 2018, 02:17:07 pm
   I disagree Noland is a lot better than him!!

Naw, Hatcher will have a better career.

Hogman2018

Quote from: beach bum on February 05, 2018, 02:21:05 pm
Naw, Hatcher will have a better career.
Hatcher cant play at Arkansas like Noan can!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 05, 2018, 07:09:15 pm

I hope both have good college careers

beach bum

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 05, 2018, 07:09:15 pm

Well considering A State would have beaten the Hogs last year I don't really get your point? Arkansas currently has a recruiting class last in the SEC so it doesn't look bright ahead either. Hatcher is the better player and is only being overlooked because of his height. He will prove the doubters wrong.

Hogman2018

Quote from: beach bum on February 06, 2018, 11:20:38 am
Well considering A State would have beaten the Hogs last year I don't really get your point? Arkansas currently has a recruiting class last in the SEC so it doesn't look bright ahead either. Hatcher is the better player and is only being overlooked because of his height. He will prove the doubters wrong.
U done lost ur mind AState would not beat Arkansas last year! Tell them to come get them some of the SEC West and we will play them cupcakes AState plays!

OB11

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 06, 2018, 12:44:29 pm
  U done lost ur mind AState would not beat Arkansas last year! Tell them to come get them some of the SEC West and we will play them cupcakes AState plays!

You do play the "cupcakes" that ASU plays (Coastal Carolina) and only beat them by 1 this past season. ASU blew them out. Both games were homecoming for ASU and Arkansas if I remember correctly.

Hogman2018

Quote from: OB11 on February 06, 2018, 12:47:53 pm
You do play the "cupcakes" that ASU plays (Coastal Carolina) and only beat them by 1 this past season. ASU blew them out. Both games were homecoming for ASU and Arkansas if I remember correctly.
Yall got drove by SMU and S Alabama! Enough said Im through arguing with you

beach bum

Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 06, 2018, 03:16:31 pm
   Yall got drove by SMU and S Alabama! Enough said Im through arguing with you

A State probably has 1/10 the budget as Arkansas and still puts out a better product... How sad for the lil Piggies.

JessieP

Over the past 5 years ASU has narrowed the gap with UA. Last year ASU would have won. People need to realize something, finishing near the bottom of the same league the best team in the Nation plays in does not make you a powerhouse. It's not success by osmosis. The bottom half of the SEC is populated with weak teams, the bottom half of any conference is populated with weak teams. We are all going to have to come to the realization that the Razorbacks are not very good. Just being in the SEC does not make you good. I have no doubt that Arkansas and a few other teams are going to regret not taking a chance on Hatcher. He's small, his arm is just so-so and he's not going to set any sprint records. He simply wins, he finds a way. Last time I checked the ability to win football games is a desirable trait.

MDXPHD

Hatcher will have a good career st ASU. Size isn't the only reason he didn't get a lot of D1 offers. Everyone knows these PA QBs are system QBs. Noland is a far better qb. You can try to compare careers in college, but only one of these kids has a chance to go pro.

Overdahill

February 07, 2018, 08:30:10 am #25 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:33:13 am by Overdahill
Quote from: MDXPHD on February 06, 2018, 10:22:20 pm
Hatcher will have a good career st ASU. Size isn't the only reason he didn't get a lot of D1 offers. Everyone knows these PA QBs are system QBs. Noland is a far better qb. You can try to compare careers in college, but only one of these kids has a chance to go pro

Some yes and some not so much. Several recent PA QBs have had very nice college careers and they didn't get and stay on the field in college due to the PA system (Freddie Knighten and Spencer Keith come to mind recently).

They may have gotten noticed initially due to what they learned and the numbers they put up at PA but they also performed very well on the field at the next level in different systems

PS The PA football system doesn't get you undefeated in wresting! Just saying

Hogman2018

You might as well give it up you are talking to a bunch of PA posters!!

Maynard G Krebs

February 07, 2018, 11:08:37 am #27 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:11:13 am by Maynard G Krebs
Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 07, 2018, 10:32:57 am

Nothing to give up. Overdahill acknowledged some not all PA QBs are necessarily just system QBs.  Also,  not all great high school players, regardless of position, make a successful transition to college ball.

I am happy for Hatcher getting a shot at the next level. 

Sorry for bold type. I messed up on the reply.  Just put it bold to separate from original post.

JessieP

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on February 07, 2018, 11:08:37 am
Quote from: Hogman2018 on February 07, 2018, 10:32:57 am

Nothing to give up. Overdahill acknowledged some not all PA QBs are necessarily just system QBs.  Also,  not all great high school players, regardless of position, make a successful transition to college ball.

I am happy for Hatcher getting a shot at the next level. 

Sorry for bold type. I messed up on the reply.  Just put it bold to separate from original post.

Oh Maynard, can we please lose the excuses and false modesty. We all know you never respond yourself, you dictate your reply to one of your Victoria Secret Model "interns" and they type it in. Any grammatical errors can be blamed on them. 

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Overdahill on February 07, 2018, 08:30:10 am
Some yes and some not so much. Several recent PA QBs have had very nice college careers and they didn't get and stay on the field in college due to the PA system (Freddie Knighten and Spencer Keith come to mind recently).

They may have gotten noticed initially due to what they learned and the numbers they put up at PA but they also performed very well on the field at the next level in different systems

Knighten would've excelled in any system.  My goodness, what a cannon that guy had (and still has).

Also, isn't every quarterback technically a 'system' quarterback?  I've always thought that language was odd, especially at higher levels.  Coaches get players to fit their systems, thus most all players are system players.

Also, congrats to Hatcher and all the other kids who get the chance to play at the next level.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: JessieP on February 07, 2018, 11:38:27 am
Oh Maynard, can we please lose the excuses and false modesty. We all know you never respond yourself, you dictate your reply to one of your Victoria Secret Model "interns" and they type it in. Any grammatical errors can be blamed on them.

everyone knows that Victoria Secret models are expert typists, they're just hunt and peckers.  (think about it)

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on February 07, 2018, 04:04:37 pm
everyone knows that Victoria Secret models are expert typists, they're just hunt and peckers.  (think about it)

MDXPHD

Quote from: Overdahill on February 07, 2018, 08:30:10 am

Well no, but nobody is disputing how good of a wrestler the kid is! Very talented in that sport. Also a very good football player -- Just not SEC level like some on here want to think. I hope he has a great career at ASU.

Any Given Friday

Never seen the kid wrestle, but have seen him play in multiple football games over the last few years, and he will be a player for ASU after a year or so.

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on February 08, 2018, 11:21:36 am
Well no, but nobody is disputing how good of a wrestler the kid is! Very talented in that sport. Also a very good football player -- Just not SEC level like some on here want to think. I hope he has a great career at ASU.

Baker Mayfield wasn't sec, big 12 or any other "material". He was a walk on.
Too early to start predicting college careers. Plenty of 4 and 5 star washouts and 2 star phenoms.
Let's see how it plays out.

gameoflife

Lots of kids across the country are good players but lack something, height, speed, really good arm on a QB, those guys are not going to play major college in most cases.  There are so many kids that could play somewhere but think they ought to be D1 or have their mind set on a certain school.  Fans and parents all think their picks are best players out there, that's natural but it hurts kids when they buy into it too much.  Players, look realistically at where they can play and take your shot.  Walking on at a D1 is usually not going to result in playing time.

JessieP

Quote from: Yellowcake on May 02, 2018, 11:10:36 pm

Baker Mayfield wasn't sec, big 12 or any other "material". He was a walk on.
Too early to start predicting college careers. Plenty of 4 and 5 star washouts and 2 star phenoms.
Let's see how it plays out.

Great post, I agree 100% (and we all know how rare that is). All these high school rankings are nothing more than educated guesses. The vast majority of D1 starters were 2 or below Star rated. A lot of 4/5 Star ones peaked in high school. The majority of people here keep throwing Noland up in Hatcher's face. Yes, Noland signed with Arkansas, an SEC school. Just remember, Arkansas may have been protecting their backyard. They didn't parade him around as their jewel in the crown, they did Hunter Henry. You didn't see Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State or Oklahoma camped out at Greenwood. My point is the jury is far far from out on the Hatcher/Noland debate. I still say Hatcher is an athletic kid who did exactly what his coaches needed. If PA ran a "NFL style" offense he would have excelled.

gameoflife

I don't care a thing in the world about where Hatcher or Noland sign.  Hope they both have great careers. I'm simply saying a kid that wants to play college ball needs to be as realistic as he can about what level he may play at.  Everybody isn't D1 and only about 2% of high school kids will go play in college. 

scrapdig

I've seen Hatcher up close and he isn't even 5-11.  Good athlete not great.  This is a clear case if he wasn't rich and at a rich school nobody would even look at him. 

beach bum

May 06, 2018, 11:09:02 pm #39 Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:21:29 pm by beach bum
Quote from: scrapdig on May 06, 2018, 06:25:46 pm
I've seen Hatcher up close and he isn't even 5-11. Good athlete not great.  This is a clear case if he wasn't rich and at a rich school nobody would even look at him.

This might go down as one of the most insane comments on fearless ever so I am hoping this is sarcasm? Let's just ignore the fact he has a near flawless record at his time at PA at 41-1 as the quarterback of a top 5 team in the state no matter classification.... So let's not give him any credit for that right? I take it you must not value winning and results a whole lot then? I don't know about others but I prefer players who get it done on the field and not solely off physical numbers. Especially from a guy that got it done every game but one in an offense completely ran through him. I know most QB's are at minimum 6'2" and that helps to have the size, but we just had the #1 pick in the draft be a shorter QB as well from your first point you made. Also, caring about how good of an athlete your QB is for a guy that throws a football for a living is what got Tom Brady drafted 199 overall. The scouts were terrified by his horrible combine numbers and lack of athleticism. They forgot the whole time he was being drafted to play QB and not RB apparently.

RZback

I'm sure you have seen more than one article about Blue Chippers who went bust in college!   There are no guarantees, check with MM.  Wish em all luck but lots don't make it.

scrapdig

Quote from: beach bum on May 06, 2018, 11:09:02 pm
This might go down as one of the most insane comments on fearless ever so I am hoping this is sarcasm? Let's just ignore the fact he has a near flawless record at his time at PA at 41-1 as the quarterback of a top 5 team in the state no matter classification.... So let's not give him any credit for that right? I take it you must not value winning and results a whole lot then? I don't know about others but I prefer players who get it done on the field and not solely off physical numbers. Especially from a guy that got it done every game but one in an offense completely ran through him. I know most QB's are at minimum 6'2" and that helps to have the size, but we just had the #1 pick in the draft be a shorter QB as well from your first point you made. Also, caring about how good of an athlete your QB is for a guy that throws a football for a living is what got Tom Brady drafted 199 overall. The scouts were terrified by his horrible combine numbers and lack of athleticism. They forgot the whole time he was being drafted to play QB and not RB apparently.
A lot of QB's have great records in HS and suck in college.  Its called a system.  Look at Mustain and Storey.  Jerry Jones grandson is the next.  Lost one game?  Ok he's 5-9 with below average arm and runs a 4.9.  Yea he will be great! 

footballfan-tastic

One thing for sure, there are no for sure's in college football.  Look how easy the bama qb lost his job last year at the national title game.  Guys like Mustain, didn't have any better stats than Allan.   Hatcher is a very good high school QB but that doesn't always mean success at the next level.  The big D1's miss some for sure but they are more often right than wrong.  Hope he does well at State.  Arkansas should not be taking 5'11 QB prospects IMO.  Simply because there are so many good ones around that are 6'2 and taller that can run and have stronger arms. Oh, and are winners also. 

JessieP

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on May 07, 2018, 02:01:48 pm
One thing for sure, there are no for sure's in college football.  Look how easy the bama qb lost his job last year at the national title game.  Guys like Mustain, didn't have any better stats than Allan.   Hatcher is a very good high school QB but that doesn't always mean success at the next level.  The big D1's miss some for sure but they are more often right than wrong.  Hope he does well at State.  Arkansas should not be taking 5'11 QB prospects IMO.  Simply because there are so many good ones around that are 6'2 and taller that can run and have stronger arms. Oh, and are winners also.

Very good post, great points all. I do think Hatcher will have success but he is a project. He's the type of player that could compete his Jr or Sr season, I hope he sticks with it. People love to bring up Mayfield or Brady but they neglect to tell you they are anomalies, freak occurrences. Colleges play the odds and covet 6'4. Another point that I have made ad nauseum is that for all PA's wonderful accomplishments, both team and individual, it's all been in the Arkansas 5A. I realize my beloved Pioneers are in the same Arkansas 5A and I have as much state pride as anyone, let's be honest. No D1 Power 5 head coaches are getting weak kneed about our 5A. The competition just isn't there for any team to thump it's chest too hard.

scrapdig

Being a "winner" is highly overrated in HS and college.  Look at Mustain Gatorade national player of the year.  Couldn't play a lick.  Yea Yea he won 8 games in a row.  Well he was awful.  Did Tom Brady win much in HS?  Nope.  Tebow couldnt lose in college and was an awful NFL QB.  Had no clue how to even throw a ball.  System along with NFL lineman, RB's, and WR's tricked you.  Usually QB's that win the most in college are bad in the NFL.  You know Oklahoma QB's, Bama QB's, Ohio St QB's, etc....

footballfan-tastic

No one player is winning in College, those great players are surrounded by perhaps not always great but certainly extremely good players.  In High School, the lower the classification the more one "great" player can carry a mediocre team.  As the level of classification goes up, the more it requires better supporting players to get to the ring.  A good QB for instance can be made to look better than he may be because of great supporting talent.  Mustain for instance, throw ball short to D. Williams and watch him go mega yards on the short throw.  Another great player, Danny Weurffel.  Heisman winner and a professional bust. The system and the playerss surrounding the QB help make them more often than not.   
Classic example of a "Winner"  Joe Montana. 

Hoghead2

Quote from: beach bum on February 06, 2018, 03:41:54 pm
A State probably has 1/10 the budget as Arkansas and still puts out a better product... How sad for the lil Piggies.
This is the exact reason ASU and the Hogs should play every year in Little Rock.  The hate and smack talk  would make it a classic Hatefest rivalry.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: Hoghead2 on May 22, 2018, 02:03:07 pm
This is the exact reason ASU and the Hogs should play every year in Little Rock.  The hate and smack talk  would make it a classic Hatefest rivalry.
Arkansas State also has 1/20th of the interest in its program that Arkansas does.

gameoflife

Is that correct Hatcher is going to Bama?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas