• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 talk

Started by Rob Van Winkle, December 16, 2017, 09:27:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 09, 2018, 11:47:13 am
I'm concerned about this kind of thing wherever it happens.  The AAA should crack down in a serious way.  The free agent attitude of high school players has become ridiculous.  And further enhancing this attitude of entitlement that too many teenagers have.
If moves are done within the rules that AAA sets then what is there to crack down on?

humphd2

Van Buren had a tough a season in 2017 but will be markedly improved in 2018.  They return all skill guys, especially a monster at receiver and a healthy QB that will be on the radar in 2018.  Tough conference for the smallest school in all of 7A but will surprise some in 2018.

Rob Van Winkle

Finally someone to get us back on topic. I thought VB would be good last year but I was definitely wrong. They do have a good group coming back and I think they will be improved at the QB position. The loss of Green will be tough.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 09, 2018, 12:16:43 pm
If moves are done within the rules that AAA sets then what is there to crack down on?
Do you think every move between schools is made with the AAA rules?  Namely, a bona fide change of residence?  There was a kid in Van Buren who went to every school around.  His parents were well off so they bought little houses here and there but never moved out of VB.  And he wasn't that great a player.  The kid from Southside a couple of years ago who was always in trouble suddenly playing at Fayetteville.  Mom and dad, who were divorced, never moved from Ft Smith.  And that's just two quick examples from my little sphere of knowledge.

Baitshop

The Southside kid's Mom lived and worked in Fayetteville. FYI

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 10, 2018, 10:19:06 am
Do you think every move between schools is made with the AAA rules?  Namely, a bona fide change of residence?  There was a kid in Van Buren who went to every school around.  His parents were well off so they bought little houses here and there but never moved out of VB.  And he wasn't that great a player.  The kid from Southside a couple of years ago who was always in trouble suddenly playing at Fayetteville.  Mom and dad, who were divorced, never moved from Ft Smith.  And that's just two quick examples from my little sphere of knowledge.

No Grizz I do not think all moves are done within the AAA rules. I was just asking you the question if the moves are within the rules then what is there to crack down on. 

I have a better example for you that for the life of me I don't understand. Twin brothers started their sophomore year at the same high school. For their junior and senior seasons, one stayed with the original school and the other one played for the school on the other side of town. How in the heck does that happen? And yes this is a true story.

Today's world is different and there are options and opportunities for those that choose to pursue something different. And the reality is high school athletics is now a part of that changing world. If people have he means to make a change and they desire to make a change then they have that option.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 09, 2018, 07:14:18 pm
Finally someone to get us back on topic. I thought VB would be good last year but I was definitely wrong. They do have a good group coming back and I think they will be improved at the QB position. The loss of Green will be tough.

Tough climb, i wouldnt bet on it.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 10, 2018, 12:54:33 pm
Tough climb, i wouldnt bet on it.
Dang RZback I was trying to make the VB faithful have a little optimism heading into the season. You just slapped them back to reality

RZback

Not meant personally, but they are down and have a way to go.  I just think its going to be a very tough job and not a fast one.

humphd2

I definitely know how tough it is for VB but you can always hope.  Not easy when you are the smallest school in all of 7A.  What will be the state of Rogers and Rogers Heritage for this next season?

RZback

I'd be surprised to see much out of either.  Only 3 combined conference wins.  Heritage only 1 and Rogers 2.Rogers won 5 games but not a strong conference showing. If VB can make strong improvement they could challenge there maybe.

humphd2

What will the 7A West rankings be preseason do you guys think?  I know VB will be your last but how about the others?

francocat

So, has the board decided on the transfers?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: francocat on January 12, 2018, 03:52:10 pm
So, has the board decided on the transfers?
Are you referring to the school board? I don't think they have a say in the transfers. I could be wrong.

francocat

Yes I was referring to the school board. I thought they were the first step. So it's all on AAA?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: francocat on January 12, 2018, 05:33:10 pm
Yes I was referring to the school board. I thought they were the first step. So it's all on AAA?
I believe it is

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: humphd2 on January 12, 2018, 07:55:05 am
What will the 7A West rankings be preseason do you guys think?  I know VB will be your last but how about the others?
I see BVW on top followed close by FV. BV will reload and be in the mix as well. I like VB and expect them to finish in front of the Rogers schools. Not sure where SHS and HB will fall.

bbishop

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 12, 2018, 05:40:21 pm
I believe it is
The district might have a say....are the not transferring within the district?  I know if students transfer between districts in Pulaski County both districts have to sign off on it.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: bbishop on January 13, 2018, 10:53:26 pm
The district might have a say....are the not transferring within the district?  I know if students transfer between districts in Pulaski County both districts have to sign off on it.
Yes they are transferring within the district and everything has been approved by both schools.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 14, 2018, 09:32:19 am
Yes they are transferring within the district and everything has been approved by both schools.

Isn't this the type thing that people always complain about, except when the players are coming to their schools.  Districts and AAA should not allow this without the proper waiting period unless a legitimate move.  Causes a lot of problems.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2018, 02:18:03 pm
Isn't this the type thing that people always complain about, except when the players are coming to their schools.  Districts and AAA should not allow this without the proper waiting period unless a legitimate move.  Causes a lot of problems.
So let me ask you this. What are kids supposed to do when they are in a situation that has created issues which are beyond repair? At all other levels in life people have the option to go elsewhere. You don't like your job, go get a new one. A college athlete no longer fits the vision of the coaching staff and they have discarded him, he can transfer.

In this situation the coaches no longer want these kids and the kids don't want to be there. Why not let both sides get a fresh start? Before you go making blanket statements about how this shouldn't be allowed and kids need to sit out for a year, remember there could always be circumstances that have created a situation where a fresh start is the best for both sides.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 14, 2018, 02:48:32 pm
So let me ask you this. What are kids supposed to do when they are in a situation that has created issues which are beyond repair? At all other levels in life people have the option to go elsewhere. You don't like your job, go get a new one. A college athlete no longer fits the vision of the coaching staff and they have discarded him, he can transfer.

In this situation the coaches no longer want these kids and the kids don't want to be there. Why not let both sides get a fresh start? Before you go making blanket statements about how this shouldn't be allowed and kids need to sit out for a year, remember there could always be circumstances that have created a situation where a fresh start is the best for both sides.

Pardon me, there are always circumstances, like the kid don't like the coach.  Not a reason to allow blanket transfers in a system that has districting as part of its rules.  If you want to allow kids to go where-ever without rules or just because they want too, then do away with the rules.  Kids are fickle, parents are fickle.  You have rules so the system has some structure.  You should be able to pick and choose where and when you move unless you really did move. I know it goes on but it shouldn't.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2018, 03:02:54 pm
Pardon me, there are always circumstances, like the kid don't like the coach.  Not a reason to allow blanket transfers in a system that has districting as part of its rules.  If you want to allow kids to go where-ever without rules or just because they want too, then do away with the rules.  Kids are fickle, parents are fickle.  You have rules so the system has some structure.  You should be able to pick and choose where and when you move unless you really did move. I know it goes on but it shouldn't.
So you called out kids and you called out parents but you didn't answer my question regarding legit issues with a coach? There needs to be accountability for everyone involved, coaches included. It goes well beyond just "not liking a coach". I understand where you are coming from but all situations are not equal.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 14, 2018, 03:14:17 pm
So you called out kids and you called out parents but you didn't answer my question regarding legit issues with a coach? There needs to be accountability for everyone involved, coaches included. It goes well beyond just "not liking a coach". I understand where you are coming from but all situations are not equal.

Well, I didn't call any names.  If talking about a situation is calling them out then a lot of that happens on this site.  In fact thats most of what goes on.  If there are other issues that can be reasonably supported then have at it. You have on the other hand laid the blame at the feet of the school, athletic department, AD, HC, football staff and who knows who else you have implicated.  You my friend have "called them out". 
Nontheless, if you allow kids to transfer because of these "circumstances" then kids will do this without regard to overall affects on the sport or the rules of the AAA.  If there is a true problem, then the offended persons should take it to the school officials.  If that is done and the problems are severe enough to warrant a mass transfer then the problem must be pretty serious and maybe the people at the head of that program have questions to answer.  I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.

gameoflife

Ouch.  That Har-Ber failed to reach the title is curious and I hear some people are questioning that.  Maybe it plays into the desire for these students to move?  I am also skeptical of so many kids moving schools at the same time.  Back in the day nobody like our coaches but they didn't move.

Rob Van Winkle

January 14, 2018, 05:51:02 pm #75 Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 06:59:15 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2018, 04:41:42 pm
Well, I didn't call any names.  If talking about a situation is calling them out then a lot of that happens on this site.  In fact thats most of what goes on.  If there are other issues that can be reasonably supported then have at it. You have on the other hand laid the blame at the feet of the school, athletic department, AD, HC, football staff and who knows who else you have implicated.  You my friend have "called them out". 
Nontheless, if you allow kids to transfer because of these "circumstances" then kids will do this without regard to overall affects on the sport or the rules of the AAA.  If there is a true problem, then the offended persons should take it to the school officials.  If that is done and the problems are severe enough to warrant a mass transfer then the problem must be pretty serious and maybe the people at the head of that program have questions to answer.  I haven't seen any evidence of that being the case.

I don't believe I stated any names either. In your previous post you only mentioned kids and parents and all I did in my post was add there needs to be accountability for everyone involved, including coaches, when there are issues.

Also I didn't lay the blame on anyone. I simply put a scenario in front of you and once again you ran with it and twisted it to fit your agenda. The AAA does have a set of rules that are supposed to be followed when kids change schools regardless of the why behind it. It is up to those involved to present a case supporting why eligibility should be allowed for those situations that fall outside of the points provided by the AAA.

In my opinion people SHOULD be asking lots of questions as to why these kids wanted to leave, but no one seems to care except for those on this board. It is not normal to kids who only have their senior year of high school left to decide to go elsewhere.

From what I have seen most people, including yourself, are just going to whine and gripe about the eligibility of these kids and try to keep them from being able to play instead of asking the question, why are they all leaving?

In the words of the great Snoop Dogg, just chill til the next episode.

RZback

Actually I did ask "why"  but got no answer.  All I did get was you putting blame on the coach.

RZback

Your words.  "In this situation the coaches no longer want these kids and the kids don't want to be there."  Sounds like blaming the coaches to me.

gameoflife

Play nice boys.  RVW you act as though you have some extra information that might clear up the difference of opinion?  Or you are defending a certain group or perhaps one or two? 

gameoflife

I will say that when a program isn't doing as well as was thought would happen then blame becomes pretty common place.  I do know there have been a few changes on the staff over a few years that may have hurt.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: RZback on January 14, 2018, 08:51:36 pm
Your words.  "In this situation the coaches no longer want these kids and the kids don't want to be there."  Sounds like blaming the coaches to me.
Take it how you want I guess. It's over and done with and both sides have moved on. As for the "why" you won't get that answer here. Those close to the situation know why. Hopefully it will make everyone involved reflect and change as they move forward, players and coaches.

gameoflife

Just as a last comment, not getting the answers is why people get put out over some of the things that go on in sports.  It always seems somebody is playing favorites.  IMO.

francocat

So with no inside info and after review, here's my take on what happened:
HB Coach: "If you don't like it, transfer".
Players: "OK, if you insist".

And then:
RVW: "Psst, I know a juicy secret".
Us: "What is it?"
RVW: "Can't tell you".

If there's enough unrest at HB that 13 players transfer, then I would say the coaches days are numbered. I wish the best for all the families involved, but, it really does seem like a bad precedent is about to be set.   

Rob Van Winkle

January 15, 2018, 11:44:02 am #83 Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:51:37 pm by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: francocat on January 15, 2018, 11:34:08 am
So with no inside info and after review, here's my take on what happened:
HB Coach: "If you don't like it, transfer".
Players: "OK, if you insist".

And then:
RVW: "Psst, I know a juicy secret".
Us: "What is it?"
RVW: "Can't tell you".

Probably the best way to summarize everything..... well done Franco

If there's enough unrest at HB that 13 players transfer, then I would say the coaches days are numbered. I wish the best for all the families involved, but, it really does seem like a bad precedent is about to be set.

RZback

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on January 15, 2018, 11:44:02 am

Kind of a shame that this is where we are at with high school athletics.

Rob Van Winkle

I saw this quote on twitter just a few minutes ago and it fits perfectly here.

One high school coach can make you hate everything about the sport you fell in love with as a kid and that's depressing.

You are right RZ, it is a shame this is where we are at with high school athletics.

Rob Van Winkle

Let me add this, what if I told you that the treatment of one player was so bad that it prompted an entire group to leave. I don't mean hard coaching, I mean awful belittling treatment in front of the whole team on a frequent basis. Would that change your perspective on this matter?

RZback

Hopefully the student and his parents tried to work out the problems before such a drastic step had to be considered.  Good luck to those kids.

Rob Van Winkle

RZ they did try and work things out but to no avail. It just turned ugly in a hurry and came to a point where there was no chance of reconciliation. Appreciate you wishing the kids luck. I wish others would put the best interest of the kids first.

gojackets14

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't both HB and Springdale have "academies" or something along those lines that offer a certain type of classes? I think each school offers different types of classes, thus making transferring a lot easier to do than within other school districts.

gameoflife

One thing you can bet on is that unless something criminal was done, which I'm not suggesting, you will most likely never know what happened.

Razorback Red

Quote from: RZback on January 08, 2018, 07:45:31 pm
Just saying, not that many families sell a house and move to make kids happy.  But, maybe so.

Maybe not historically, but it has become the norm in the last 10 years.  When you have seven 7A schools in a 30-mile stretch of each other, and then throw in four (3 powerhouse) 4A programs in that same area, it's really easy to pick the system that fits your kid.  Thousands of parents are already making the drive on I49 every day to work, so regardless of where you work, it is very, very easy to move to the school district you want your kids in to maximize their potential. 

I don't have an issue with this as long as it is done within the rules.  It's simply the world we live in now. 

Razorback Red

Quote from: humphd2 on January 12, 2018, 07:55:05 am

Here is my opinion as of 2/1/18:

1.  Fayetteville
2.  Bentonville
3.  West
4.  Springdale
5.  Harber
6.  VB
7.  Rogers
8.  Heritage

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas