• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So when LR Closes Fair and McClellan like they say they will

Started by Brian G, September 13, 2017, 09:08:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian G

The new combined school will be 7A.

Van Buren will fall out.

Northside and Southside are squarely on the dividing line with 7 NWA schools and 7 down toward LR.

Do we see a change of conference size?
Does Fort Smith split?
Do they change the size of 7A?

Also it will trickle down as VB drops to 6A, GW drops to 5A!

Some real fun coming for the next go round (20-22).

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on September 13, 2017, 09:08:31 pm
The new combined school will be 7A.

Van Buren will fall out.

Northside and Southside are squarely on the dividing line with 7 NWA schools and 7 down toward LR.

Do we see a change of conference size?
Does Fort Smith split?
Do they change the size of 7A?

Also it will trickle down as VB drops to 6A, GW drops to 5A!

Some real fun coming for the next go round (20-22).

Where are the LR schools merging into?

Brian G

Razorback Red

I am so ready for the day AR finally dumps 7A (if ever) and goes back to largest 32 in 6A, with four 8-team confs.  Top 4 from each conf to the playoffs.  This would get rid of the watered-down playoff system we have today. 

Wishful thinking I know. 

Brian G

AirWarren

Brian G

We're 2 years away from data that will be the true indicator but it's a pretty safe bet that things are going to get wild.  The Jacksonville/ NPulaski merger created a bit of a wave but nothing like what this will do.

On a side note, it should work to improve the overall quality and stature of LR Schools.

AirWarren

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Can anyone explain how combining these two schools fix anything?  I'm speaking in the LRSD, not athletics.

ricepig

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on September 14, 2017, 12:16:15 am
Can anyone explain how combining these two schools fix anything?  I'm speaking in the LRSD, not athletics.

If it will help on litigation fees, that's a start...........

SUGARTOWN

Well, I'm assuming a new school won't look like a prison...this is McClellan:

New buildings, new facilities, new amenities just may improve learning. And maybe, just maybe, some kids will take pride in a new school instead of a run down dungeon they have now?

businesstron

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 14, 2017, 08:33:36 am

New buildings, new facilities, new amenities just may improve learning. And maybe, just maybe, some kids will take pride in a new school instead of a run down dungeon they have now?

I agree with this.

AirWarren

Any large metro area has its hey day. Little Rock was one of them. I can't tell you the amount of people we know in Saline county are graduates of LR fair, parkview, McCllellen, and Hall. It was when Little Rock was growing at an astronomical rate and life was good.

But with any tremendous growth, comes tremendous headache. That's why private schools, Saline county schools, lonoke county schools, and Faulkner county schools have flourished because of the growth of their towns.

Growth is great. But people who live in fast growing places better enjoy it. The headaches will come. Just wait.

Hopefully Little Rock can get it together. Not promising but hopefully. It's a city. Cities are far from perfect.

Maynard G Krebs

Putting lipstick on a pig🙁

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 14, 2017, 08:33:36 am

Has this worked for Maumelle?

SUGARTOWN

Are the kids better off at Maumelle than they were at Oak Grove? Absolutely.

Brian G

Quote from: businesstron on September 14, 2017, 09:04:16 am
A new basketball power will be born in 7a.
It'll be interesting to see how it alters the free flowing school to school movement that already goes on.

sportsguy80

Quote from: B.G. on September 14, 2017, 05:22:57 pm
It'll be interesting to see how it alters the free flowing school to school movement that already goes on.
Keep in mind these two schools already have or had decent basketball programs too. So my guess is they'll definitely be a force in7a basketball to say the least.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 14, 2017, 04:39:06 pm
Are the kids better off at Maumelle than they were at Oak Grove? Absolutely.

Specifics please.  Serious question as I don't know

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 14, 2017, 08:57:18 pm
Specifics please.  Serious question as I don't know

It's pretty much common sense that students have a better chance to succeed in a newer state of the art school such as Maumelle High School. Have you seen the school?

Maynard G Krebs

IAFLAR7

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 15, 2017, 02:24:57 pm
Yes.  Physical plant is impressive.
I did not think they were building the new school and combing them since the LR millage didn't pass? Did something change?

Maynard G Krebs

September 15, 2017, 08:24:54 pm #23 Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:28:00 pm by Maynard G Krebs
Quote from: IAFLAR7 on September 15, 2017, 03:21:49 pm
I did not think they were building the new school and combing them since the LR millage didn't pass? Did something change?

You may be thinking of the proposal to consolidate Fair and McClellan.   Maumelle did not have a high school per se,  the new Maumelle school includes the former Oak Grove school

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I've been in the school.  It's awesome. Not sure this has been proven to be true though...
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 14, 2017, 09:33:41 pm
It's pretty much common sense that students have a better chance to succeed in a newer state of the art school such as Maumelle High School.

pinebluffzebra09

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on September 16, 2017, 05:41:01 pm
I've been in the school.  It's awesome. Not sure this has been proven to be true though...

Kids are better off at the new school. I have 2 over there now and we like it. We're also keeping a growing number of kids that would otherwise go to one of the private schools if there was no Maumelle High School.

millsalum14

Quote from: pinebluffzebra09 on September 16, 2017, 05:42:30 pm
So what will be the name of this new school?

Right now, people are referring to it as Southwest High School (Which should be the ideal choice) and Southwest Little Rock High School.
It'll be interesting to see if it gets named after someone. Consider the following:

McClellan High was named for US Senator/Representative John L. McClellan.
J.A. Fair High was named after James Augustus Fair, a former teacher, coach, and administrator in Pulaski County.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 17, 2017, 08:17:08 pm
Kids are better off at the new school. I have 2 over there now and we like it. We're also keeping a growing number of kids that would otherwise go to one of the private schools if there was no Maumelle High School.
You may be correct, but I have heard differently. 

When you change nothing but the building, as immaculate as the new building is, keep the same faculty with zero backing from the administration at site or district level, have a rotating administration (I know at least one year they had an interim two days a week and a different interim the other three days), and more than double the number of kids, I don't see how anyone can expect it to be better.

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 17, 2017, 08:17:08 pm

Oh no.........so you have put your kids in school with "those types of kids"????

That's what a Private school parent said to me when I asked if their kids went to Maumelle high.

Chief_Osceola™

September 18, 2017, 11:12:46 am #30 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:15:37 am by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Coach DePriest, Shiloh Christian on September 18, 2017, 06:48:46 am
You may be correct, but I have heard differently. 

When you change nothing but the building, as immaculate as the new building is, keep the same faculty with zero backing from the administration at site or district level, have a rotating administration (I know at least one year they had an interim two days a week and a different interim the other three days), and more than double the number of kids, I don't see how anyone can expect it to be better.

That may have been the case when it first opened, however there has been some turnover at all levels from administration to staff, and the school is better off now than 6 years ago.  There is a lot more stability now, and as I said before, more and more kids are opting to go to Maumelle instead of the private schools. 

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 18, 2017, 11:12:46 am
That may have been the case when it first opened, but the school is better off now than 6 years ago.  There is a lot more stability now, and as I said before, more and more kids are opting to go to Maumelle instead of the private schools. 

I mean, you wouldn't have first hand knowledge or anything would you??

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2017, 11:14:11 am
I mean, you wouldn't have first hand knowledge or anything would you??

I edited my post for clarity, but the point still stands.

Yeah...I mean, it's not like I'm actively involved with a number of programs or anything. /sarcasm

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2017, 09:28:53 am
Oh no.........so you have put your kids in school with "those types of kids"????

That's what a Private school parent said to me when I asked if their kids went to Maumelle high.

Doesn't surprise me a bit.  Maumelle is a great community, but we have our share of snobs.

Brian G

Quote from: millsalum14 on September 17, 2017, 11:53:26 pm
Right now, people are referring to it as Southwest High School (Which should be the ideal choice) and Southwest Little Rock High School.
It'll be interesting to see if it gets named after someone. Consider the following:

J.A. Fair High was named after James Augustus Fair, a former teacher, coach, and administrator in Pulaski County.
I'm hearing Hillary High.

AirWarren

Quote from: B.G. on September 18, 2017, 05:10:36 pm

Hillary hates Arkansas. Only thing she wanted or wants from Arkansas was votes.  Talk about a human being who would never step foot in Arkansas to live ever again.

She wouldn't want her name on anything Arkansas related.

Brian G

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2017, 05:17:12 pm
Hillary hates Arkansas. Only thing she wanted or wants from Arkansas was votes.  Talk about a human being who would never step foot in Arkansas to live ever again.

She wouldn't want her name on anything Arkansas related.
Calm down. :) 

Huckabee High?

AirWarren

Chief_Osceola™

Should have an excellent information technology department.  Servers will be top notch I'm sure.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 18, 2017, 11:00:36 pm
Should have an excellent information technology department.  Servers will be top notch I'm sure.
Saw what you did there lol.

pinebluffzebra09

HowNowBrownCow

Ric Flair High!!!!!!!!!!!!

You talking to the Rolex wearing, Diamond ring wearing, Kid stealing!! WOOOO!!!!!!!!
Wheeling and dealing, Limousine riding, Jet Flying, Son of a gun!!!!!!! And I'm having a hard time holding these alligators on!!!

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

P.F.G.

Quote from: HowNowBrownCow on September 22, 2017, 09:21:46 am

You talking to the Rolex wearing, Diamond ring wearing, Kid stealing!! WOOOO!!!!!!!!
Wheeling and dealing, Limousine riding, Jet Flying, Son of a gun!!!!!!! And I'm having a hard time holding these alligators on!!!

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Quote of the year!

Wildcat_Booster

Quote from: millsalum14 on September 17, 2017, 11:53:26 pm

we know it won't be named Jackson or Lee lol

AirWarren

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Sweet Feet

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

millsalum14

Groundbreaking for Southwest High is tomorrow. Check out the concept art (courtesy of Austin Kellerman, FOX 16)

sevenof400

Wouldn't it be a fitting shot across the bow if the school were named Edmund Hillary High?

millsalum14

I'm hearing now that the school has chosen its colors and mascot. Green and purple will be the school colors, and the Gryphon will be their mascot.

FYI: A gryphon (or griffin) is a mythological cross between an eagle and a lion, which is a play on the mascots of McClellan and Fair. I think they'll be the only high school in the state with this mascot. 

Wonderdog

Quote from: millsalum14 on October 02, 2017, 10:58:19 pm
I'm hearing now that the school has chosen its colors and mascot. Green and purple will be the school colors, and the Gryphon will be their mascot.

FYI: A gryphon (or griffin) is a mythological cross between an eagle and a lion, which is a play on the mascots of McClellan and Fair. I think they'll be the only high school in the state with this mascot. 
I like the mascot and its meaning of representing both schools. I don't know about those colors though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas