• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grass Infield

Started by FanBoy, September 07, 2017, 06:36:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FanBoy

My coaching staff and myself are thinking about putting in a grass infield on our softball field. We were just curious what other coaches thought about this idea? Wondering if anyone already plays on a grass infield. Wanting to know pro/cons and just overall information about it.

AllStarSportsFan

FanBoy

No, not necessarily. We have just played on a couple and really liked the looks of them and the way they played. Also, looking for something we can play on with a little bit of rain. 

Redwolves8526

I've always wondered why softball wasn't played on grass in the first place. Are the bases so short that the ball needs to get to the infielders quicker, so grass would put you at a disadvantage defensively?

FanBoy

That is what I am wondering. I've talked to several people and they tell me they hate grass infields, but don't have a reason. Basically, they just say softball is suppose to be played on dirt. I would imagine they like dirt because of the short bases and the pace of the game. I feel like if you take good care of a grass infield and keep it cut short, it would look good and play good.

cowboy_hawg

I have seen many games played in a light drizzle. With a traditional dirt infield the dirt is damp but the ball stays relatively dry for handling and throwing.  My concern with grass would be bad throws from infielders with ground balls and the short game. Along with with the speed of the game, ball rolling on the grass will slow more quickly than on dirt, which in my opinion gives a runner with speed the advantage getting down the line. I'm just a fan, what do I know!!!

NEASPORTSFAN

Grass infield sucks in softball. The ball is not as dense as a baseball and it tends to skip and take bad hops on grass.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: PioneerSoftball on September 29, 2017, 10:17:50 am
Grass infield sucks in softball. The ball is not as dense as a baseball and it tends to skip and take bad hops on grass.

Makes sense

Maximus Decimus Meridius

We have one at Rivercrest, and I'm partial to it. Looks a lot better and don't have to worry about dust in the eyes when we have straight line winds. I know it's not "traditional" but oh well.

eagle1

Hate grass infields for softball. Fastpitch meant to be played on dirt infield. We had to play on a grass infield several years in Regionals and the grass completely changed the game. Several bad hops, changes short game, etc. Really wish AAA would make it a requirement to have dirt.

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: eagle1 on February 02, 2018, 01:27:00 pm
Hate grass infields for softball. Fastpitch meant to be played on dirt infield. We had to play on a grass infield several years in Regionals and the grass completely changed the game. Several bad hops, changes short game, etc. Really wish AAA would make it a requirement to have dirt.

agreed

attaboy

well I've cared for and been involved with both. You got to have a good grass person to keep the grass in shape and it's a all year job or most anyway. With the dirt it is much easier to maintain and looking good.

Cheek

Grass is not growing during HS softball season.   The old grass looks bad when it is played or practiced on a lot.  Dirt is easier to maintain.

big E

I imagine anyone Who has a grass infield has it overseeded with rye grass.

BIG_K

;D if your going to do that put in an all turf field ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas