• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Those Amazing Basketball Moments!

Started by rammer, February 29, 2016, 11:11:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rammer

Other than it being senior night for Cabot this past Friday night, the game between Cabot and Searcy was basically a meaningless game to end the regular season. The game had no bearing whatsoever on the upcoming tournaments for either team. It did turn out, however, to be one of those magical moments we all love to see at sporting events.

My son came home from practice early last week and excitedly told me that Coach Bridges was going to let Deshawn dress out for his final game since he was a senior. Deshawn is one of the team managers and has faithfully sat on the bench and looked after the players - giving them drinks and doing all the things managers do for the sake of the team. Deshawn is rather small in stature and doesn't have the look of a basketball player, and has been happy to just contribute to the team in anyway he could, just to be a part of the Panthers basketball program. His faithfulness to the team was much appreciated by players and coaches.

The magical moment came shortly into the 4th quarter. With the Cabot lead approaching 30 points, the student section, which was actually large and loud this night, began the chant "We want Deshawn"!  When Coach Bridges made his way down to the very end of the bench and tapped Deshawn on the shoulder, and he made his way to the scorers table, the entire arena erupted in applause and excitement. A few trips down the court with Deshawn touching the ball caused a little excitement for the anxious crowd, that was just hoping that he might actually get a shot at the basket.

About the third or fourth trip down the court on offense it happened. Deshawn caught the ball in the right corner and had enough space to loft a shot over the defense. All eyes were on the ball, which looked like it might have a chance of going through the hoop. Unfortunately it bounced off the rim and you could hear a disappointed sigh by the large and hopeful crowd. But wait, Cabot's post player came down with the rebound and throws the ball back out to Deshawn, who quickly shoots it again before the defenders are able to close out on him. This time, the ball sails over the defense and swishes through the goal.  The student section was jumping and falling all over each other, the Cabot bench jumped up and chairs went flying, they were all hugging each other and just going crazy. Even the Cabot coaches were jumping with excitement. It was the loudest I have ever heard the arena.  In just a short moment on that basketball court, Deshawn experienced something that he will treasure for a lifetime. It is something that all of his teammates and schoolmates will remember forever.

Brian G

BigMan15

Bulldog92

Great stuff!! That's the things that are remembered, not the wins and losses but the special moments!!

BigLion10

Man that's awesome I love stories like this!!

chickasaw fan

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas