• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The All Soccer Thread(US soccer, EPL, European leagues, Spanish/Mexican leagues.)

Started by AirWarren, August 02, 2015, 09:00:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

1-Adam-12

With the 3rd round of the FA Cup, usually you find some non-league teams looking for a big payday when they get to play a Premier League or Championship team.

Alas, not this year.  For the first time in 57 years, no non-league team advanced to the third round.

If someone wants an upset, they'll have to settle for someone from League Two maybe knocking out a EPL side.  There are three such matchups: Coventry vs Stoke, Exeter v West Brom and Newcastle vs Luton. 

That last one intrigues me:  Luton are killing it in League Two and Newcastle are struggling a bit.  Could it turn into a Hatters win?

Oh, by the way, there is a Merseyside derby in this round, Liverpool hosting Everton at Anfield.

Games are January 5-7.

AirWarren

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 16, 2017, 06:42:13 pm
With the 3rd round of the FA Cup, usually you find some non-league teams looking for a big payday when they get to play a Premier League or Championship team.

Alas, not this year.  For the first time in 57 years, no non-league team advanced to the third round.

If someone wants an upset, they'll have to settle for someone from League Two maybe knocking out a EPL side.  There are three such matchups: Coventry vs Stoke, Exeter v West Brom and Newcastle vs Luton. 

That last one intrigues me:  Luton are killing it in League Two and Newcastle are struggling a bit.  Could it turn into a Hatters win?

Oh, by the way, there is a Merseyside derby in this round, Liverpool hosting Everton at Anfield.

Games are January 5-7.

Chelsea is really missing Diego Costa and Matic this year.

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 16, 2017, 06:42:13 pm

, Oh, by the way, there is a Merseyside derby in this round, Liverpool hosting Everton at Anfield.

Games are January 5-7.

There are some interesting matches being televised on Fox Sports including our two clubs in a Merseyside matchup. Usually those two wouldn't be playing their top sides this early, but considering the rivalry I think we will see pretty much their top line ups.... The matchups on TV here in the States will be

Everton @ Liverpool - Friday 1/5 @ 2pm on Fox Sports 1

Leicester @ Fleetwood Town- Sat. 1/6 @ 6:45am on FS1
Derby County @ Manchester United- Sat. 1/6 @ 9am on FS1
Chelsea @ Norwich City - Sat. 1/6 @ 11:30 am on FS1

West Ham @ Shrewsbury- Sun. 1/7 @ 8am on FS2
Arsenal @ Nottingham Forest - Sun. 1/7 @ 10am on FS1

Crystal Palace @ Brighton - Mon. 1/8 @ 1:45 pm on FS2

beach bum

Bristol City fans stormed the pitch after beating Manchester United in the quarterfinals of the EFL Cup 2-1 with a late winner in stoppage time today. The next round won't be so easy when they take on Man City in a two leg playoff. Bristol City is doing quite well in the Championship this year. We may see them into the Premier League next year if they can keep up their form through the spring like they have been.

AirWarren

Chelsea takes out Bournemouth today 2-1. Dramatic goals by Willian and Morata.

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on December 20, 2017, 07:06:54 pm
Bristol City fans stormed the pitch after beating Manchester United in the quarterfinals of the EFL Cup 2-1 with a late winner in stoppage time today. The next round won't be so easy when they take on Man City in a two leg playoff. Bristol City is doing quite well in the Championship this year. We may see them into the Premier League next year if they can keep up their form through the spring like they have been.
I saw the video of the Bristol manager running down the sideline and hugging the ball boy. That's something that kid will never forget. And it's great to see Man U go down

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on December 21, 2017, 12:33:41 pm
I saw the video of the Bristol manager running down the sideline and hugging the ball boy. That's something that kid will never forget. And it's great to see Man U go down

Ibrahimovic tried to will Man U back to a win... But he just couldn't. That was one of the better matches of the season. Both teams were going for it in the 2nd half.

1-Adam-12

And Man U denied again yesterday, they seemingly had 3 points in the bag but 10-man Leicester scores with the last kick of the game. 

Something was said that if Man City continues this pace (which will be hard with all the cup and Champions League obligations) they will clinch the league on March 30. 

Let that sink in.

Go Postal

Quote from: Go Postal on December 14, 2017, 08:07:14 am
I just saw this on the telly.  It is called, "This is Football" debut on December 26th   Maybe we can get non soccer fans (American Football Snobs) to watch it and maybe start to understand the history of the sport.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/joe-scarborough-nbcsn-premier-league-soccer-1202639726/
Man U and Man City fans might want to check this out this afternoon.

beach bum

Quote from: Go Postal on December 26, 2017, 11:12:28 am
Man U and Man City fans might want to check this out this afternoon.

I just hope there are no Man U fans on here  ;D

AirWarren

Chelsea snags another win 2-0 yesterday.

Man city continues to pull away though.

beach bum

Virgil Van Dijk is going to Liverpool for a record fee for a defender.... Liverpool playing Porto in the round of 16 in the Champions League with this move look to be making a serious push to try and make it down to possibly the final 4 clubs in the Champions League with this move to sure up their defending. This may be enough to keep them in the top 4 again in the Premier League too.

beach bum

I know VHS is an Arsenal fan... Just saw where Wenger is about to tie Sir Alex with 810 top flight matches managed.... That is unreal considering how managers get tossed away like garbage in any top flight division. Two more matches and he will sit all alone.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: beach bum on December 27, 2017, 01:03:18 pm
Virgil Van Dijk is going to Liverpool for a record fee for a defender.... Liverpool playing Porto in the round of 16 in the Champions League with this move look to be making a serious push to try and make it down to possibly the final 4 clubs in the Champions League with this move to sure up their defending. This may be enough to keep them in the top 4 again in the Premier League too.

Van Dijk was stuck on a mediocre Southampton team, that now will need to make a move or two to insure that they won't be relegated.  A good move from Liverpool's point of view.

WPWells

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 28, 2017, 01:48:00 pm
So pumped about this move for Liverpool!

You mean we won't miss seeing Lovren make bone head mistakes?  8)

beach bum

So apparently Liverpool have signed Red Bull Leipzig's best player in Naby Keita as well. Wow, they are now seriously making a push to be in the ball park of the quality of Man City. They probably have the same attacking quality now. Just Man City's defending and goalkeeping is a cut above still.... These moves if Coutinho stays another season after this puts them as one of the best 4 clubs in the world how much talent they have with these two January transfer window additions.

AirWarren

Chelsea makes it 2-0 after Drinkwater's goal in the 8th minute over stoke.

AirWarren

beach bum

And right on cue Liverpool gives up a goal in the early minutes.... Bring on the reinforcements. Watford, Chelsea, and Bournemouth all with early leads. Chelsea already cashed in 3 points just 30 minutes into a match.

AirWarren

AirWarren

Longfellow

Bournemouth gets a win!! Can't even remember the last time that happened

WPWells

AirWarren

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on December 30, 2017, 10:59:32 am
Bournemouth gets a win!! Can't even remember the last time that happened

West Brom are so bad and it feels like they will never score again. Swansea won today, but I am still not sold they can score enough to stay up. Because of that I think Bournemouth will be ok in the long run. I really like Bournemouth and Crystal Palace for the smaller clubs. I like how those two really go for it and aren't settling for 0-0 or 1-1 when they play the top dogs. They want goals even if that means giving up some.

beach bum

Quote from: WPWells on December 30, 2017, 11:55:59 am
Liverpool found a winner!

Salah is really turning into a fan favorite.... I'll be rooting for Egypt in the World Cup because of him. His effort is something special. He never stops.

1-Adam-12

Quote from: Longfellow on December 30, 2017, 10:59:32 am
Bournemouth gets a win!! Can’t even remember the last time that happened

And against my Everton team too.  At least Bournemouth are one of the other teams I like and I want them to stay up, so it doesn't hurt near as bad.

VHSCoach2

Manchester City drops points for the first time in 132 days today, as they draw nil-nil with Crystal Palace.

beach bum

Arsenal welcomes Chelsea tomorrow at 2pm to the Emirates. That should be a great up and down match with lots of flare on both sides.....Also, the battle for relegation is going to get quite interesting as the season goes down to the wire. As of now with 16 matches left Huddersfield are in 11th place with 24 points and Stoke would be relegated at 18th with 20 points meaning only 4 points is separating 11-18th place right now. Every win for those clubs better be cherished.

beach bum

For West Brom and Swansea to feel like they can stay up they better real soon string together a stretch of 8 to 10 points in a 4 match stretch to get some quick points. If they don't do that they'll be playing in the Championship come August.

beach bum

What a 2nd half of the Arsenal vs Chelsea match.... Arsenal looked like they played better for most of the match only to have Chelsea do its usual thing and be so efficient with its chances in that one stretch where they saw their 2 goals scored. Then Bellerin's shot to end it in a draw was amazing.... Morata played absolutely awful that game and so did the Arsenal back line. Everyone else it was top notch.

AirWarren

beach bum

What a start to the big dogs joining the FA Cup.... Virgil Van Dijk scores a header in the 84th minute in his debut for Liverpool to win against Everton 2-1. Most of the matches are the next two days. I am most looking forward to Chelsea @ Norwich City then Arsenal traveling to Nottingham Forest the next couple days. Both those Championship sides' fans will love seeing the top dogs come in.

WPWells

beach bum

Liverpool is starting to go just buck wild in the transfer window... Coutinho is on his way to Barcelona for the equal of 200 million dollars. They are looking as Riyad Mahrez as who they want to replace him. It will take a lot for Leicester to give him up, but Salah playing in front of Mahrez as two lefties on the right hand side could be deadly. David Luiz is rumored to be headed to Real Madrid. Not sure I buy that one as much.

AirWarren

beach bum

Losing to a League Two side was enough to get Hughes sacked at Stoke City after this loss.... They are in 18th place with a minus 24 goal differential. Stoke City has been so good defensively the last few years and just look horrid now.

beach bum

Mahrez to Liverpool for about 55 million is what I am hearing now as official just minutes ago reported by Bein Sports...

VHSCoach2

beach bum

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on January 07, 2018, 12:38:51 pm
That American scored two goals for Forest....
If he would've scored a hat trick, he would've won a free puppy

1-Adam-12

One of the papers in England put it like this:  "Arsenal, at least a team wearing Arsenal uniforms...."

That about says it all.

1-Adam-12

beach bum

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on January 07, 2018, 10:07:17 pm
Chelsea has acquired Everton's Ross Barkley for 10M pounds.

They needed depth in a desperate way... It feels like they are playing more matches than anyone in this stretch. I think that is why they needed Drinkwater and Barkley. Chelsea is going to have to utilize their depth to do good in all competitions.

beach bum

Quote from: Longfellow on January 07, 2018, 01:01:24 pm
If he would've scored a hat trick, he would've won a free puppy

Is that the reward for a hat trick in an FA Cup match? Lol

beach bum

Has anyone seen the slump Real Madrid are in... They are sitting in 4th in La Liga and drawing Paris Saint Germain in the round of 16 may put a fork in them early in the Champions League unless they sort this out. I expect them to get to 3rd in La Liga by the finish, but with Costa at Atletico Madrid and Barcelona in top form Real Madrid won't catch those two with how much they have fallen back.

Longfellow

Quote from: beach bum on January 08, 2018, 12:01:12 pm
Is that the reward for a hat trick in an FA Cup match? Lol
I thought it was a Nottingham Forest thing, but it was just a social media campaign to get his wife to buy him a dog. I guess she said he had to have a hat trick

AirWarren

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas