• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Red Wolves football schedule

Started by wildcat_x-mgr, March 02, 2014, 06:00:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat_x-mgr

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/sun-belt/2014-arkansas-state-red-wolves-football-schedule.php

8/30 Montana State
9/6 at Tennessee
9/13 at Miami (FL)
9/27 Utah State
10/4 La.-Monroe
10/11 Georgia State
10/21 at La.-Lafayette
11/1 at Idaho
11/8 So. Alabama
11/15 Appalachian State
11/22 at Texas State
11/29 New Mexico State

I'm thinking 7-5 easily, with Utah State and the two Louisiana schools as toss-ups for an upwards of 10-2. And you can never really tell about games against the "big name" schools either. What do my fellow stAte fans think?

Uncle Ivan

Nice little 1-3 record heading into the conference opener.  5-7 tops is plausible.

wildcat_x-mgr

After 8-10 wins three years in a row, Ivan predicts only half that many this year, for no apparent reason. Anyone else?

True Believer

I say 8-4.

Good luck to Coach John Thompson.  But not enough to beat us. 

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on March 04, 2014, 11:35:24 amfor no apparent reason.

The coaching carousel will eventually catch up with them.

Besides, horrid records is normal around that program.

dc24

Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on March 02, 2014, 06:00:57 pm
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/sun-belt/2014-arkansas-state-red-wolves-football-schedule.php

8/30 Montana State
9/6 at Tennessee
9/13 at Miami (FL)
9/27 Utah State
10/4 La.-Monroe
10/11 Georgia State
10/21 at La.-Lafayette
11/1 at Idaho
11/8 So. Alabama
11/15 Appalachian State
11/22 at Texas State
11/29 New Mexico State

I'm thinking 7-5 easily, with Utah State and the two Louisiana schools as toss-ups for an upwards of 10-2. And you can never really tell about games against the "big name" schools either. What do my fellow stAte fans think?

I'm not going to say 7-5 "easily" as you put it.  We should beat Montana State and New Mexico State at home.  Tennessee and Miami are probably losses, even though, I don't think Tennessee is unbeatable, South Alabama gave them a good scare last year.  We should win road games at Georgia State and Idaho, but Georgia State was playing teams a lot tougher at the end of the year and I expect them to just keep getting better.  I think we will beat ULM, South Alabama, and Appalachian State at home, but South Alabama is starting to get better and a program with Appalachian State's tradition will make them tough, although it will probably be in a few years.  USA and App. State are home games in November though, so the crowds probably wont' be as large.  I think playing Utah State at home gives a really good chance of beating them, but it'll be a close game.  ULL should still be good so it'll be tough to go in there and win and Texas State isn't bad already so I'm not expecting an easy win there either.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we finished anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2.  We have enough talent on the team to win 9 or 10 games, but we have to figure out the QB position first.  I think Knighten can do it, but he has to improve his confidence.  In the bowl game, he didn't want to throw it until he had to throw it.  He proved he could do it, but he didn't have the confidence, but I think that can be worked on.  If we have solid QB play, I expect us to go 8-4 at least with a couple of toss-up games that could go either way.  The league is getting better though, except for adding Idaho and NMSU will probably bring it down some.  We've got a lot of talent and I think the kids are mentally strong.  If it didn't affect them last year, I don't think it will this year.

Jacketman65

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 04, 2014, 10:24:02 pm
Quote from: wildcat_x-mgr on March 04, 2014, 11:35:24 amfor no apparent reason.

The coaching carousel will eventually catch up with them.

Ivan, I tend to agree that so many coaching changes will eventually catch up with them.  However, horrid records?  They have been to a bowl game for the past 3 years you know.  Do you really think that they will only win 5 this next year?  Maybe if they could get the pigs on the schedule they would win 6.  :)

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Jacketman65 on March 05, 2014, 08:28:34 am
However, horrid records?  They have been to a bowl game for the past 3 years you know. 

I remember the John Bobo, Joe Hollis days.  These last few years have been an aberration, history-wise.

Jacketman65

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 05, 2014, 10:44:42 pm
However, horrid records?  They have been to a bowl game for the past 3 years you know. 
These last few years have been an aberration, history-wise.
Hopefully their success won't continue to be an aberration.  Maybe it will become the norm.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: Jacketman65 on March 06, 2014, 02:15:34 pm
Hopefully their success won't continue to be an aberration.  Maybe it will become the norm.

Hopefully not.

dc24

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 05, 2014, 10:44:42 pm

I remember the John Bobo, Joe Hollis days.  These last few years have been an aberration, history-wise.

Or what about the Lacewell days or the 70's with two undefeated teams?  It's not like we haven't had success before.  No doubt the 90's were terrible, but the 70's and 80's were pretty good, along with the last few years.

Peety

This team in 2014 talent wise on paper may be one of the best we've ever had. We shall see

Shady

I'll say 9-3 because I agree with Peety that there is a whole lot of talent still there.

elvis26

;D I think the redwolfes will go 8-and 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: dc24 on March 07, 2014, 01:54:16 am

Or what about the Lacewell days or the 70's with two undefeated teams?

In 1-AA.

Jacketman65

I just wish that the pigs would play them!  How much fun could we all have with that?

dc24

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 07, 2014, 07:08:24 pm
Quote from: dc24 on March 07, 2014, 01:54:16 am

Or what about the Lacewell days or the 70's with two undefeated teams?

In 1-AA.

Lacewell was D1-AA, but the 70's were in Division I, although most of the competition was what would be D1-AA, doesn't make it any less significant though.

dc24

Quote from: Peety on March 07, 2014, 01:26:04 pm
This team in 2014 talent wise on paper may be one of the best we've ever had. We shall see

Lots of talent left, including talent Roberts recruited, so think about that for a little bit.  But regardless, we've got to get the QB situation figured out.  I figure Knighten gets first shot and I am confident he can be the guy, but I don't know how confident he is.  He has to be willing to throw the ball and not look to run every play.  A little concerned with having to replace Williams, Huanga, and Mitchell on the OL.

Peety

^Agreed. Fredi throws it well, just has to have confidence. He will have plenty of weapons to work with. We have to get the ball to Flash Gordon and JD McKissoc. Apparently this receiving core that's been developing behind Muse, Julian Jones, Stockemer, etc is loaded with talent.

Defense has Stone, Q-Lee, Hunter, Young, and some others returning. No reason the defense shouldn't be the best in the sun belt with the returning talent on that side of the ball. Basically the entire secondary is returning too

I'm loving Anderson more and more. He's preparing these guys to not only win the conference, but he's confident he's going to beat Tennessee and Miami too. Can't wait.

dc24

Quote from: Peety on March 08, 2014, 07:10:18 am
^Agreed. Fredi throws it well, just has to have confidence. He will have plenty of weapons to work with. We have to get the ball to Flash Gordon and JD McKissoc. Apparently this receiving core that's been developing behind Muse, Julian Jones, Stockemer, etc is loaded with talent.

Defense has Stone, Q-Lee, Hunter, Young, and some others returning. No reason the defense shouldn't be the best in the sun belt with the returning talent on that side of the ball. Basically the entire secondary is returning too

I'm loving Anderson more and more. He's preparing these guys to not only win the conference, but he's confident he's going to beat Tennessee and Miami too. Can't wait.

Defense should still be stout, but we've got to replace Draper and Carrethers on the interior line.  I think Rosser takes one of those spots and Blackmon will be the other starter, but hopefully there is some depth behind those guys.

Definitely excited about Anderson.  I think he's going to do great things for us.

wildcat_x-mgr

True, Knighten was a little jittery before, but I see no reason he can't get past that with a little more experience in the college game - especially since we're starting off with Montana State.

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on March 04, 2014, 10:24:02 pm

Is normal, or was normal?

dc24

I'm glad we are playing Montana State instead of a SWAC school for our FCS game.  They should give us more of a challenge, but hopefully not too much of one!  Haha, it should allow Fredi to get some confidence, but also not just completely dominate.  I think playing the SWAC schools or just really terrible FCS schools can be a detriment at times.  Tennessee and Miami will not be easy for a new QB though, regardless of the Montana State game.  Neither will Utah State for that matter.

bleudog

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas