• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shot Clock Gaining Steam

Started by Brian G, June 07, 2018, 04:13:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonshiner

Quote from: HorseFeathers on July 21, 2018, 02:12:58 pm
How many high school teams shoot 34% from 3? I watch A LOT of small school ball....the drop off of the # of good teams seems to correlate with the number of coaches(and fans) that want those fancy Golden State Run and Gun offense implemented...and that's just from the last 10 years.

Shooting 34% from 3 might be more efficient...but if you don't have the shooters, or your shooters go ice cold from 3...you're done..

But this has literally nothing to do with a shot clock lol

Agreed.   I said this earlier...but...I think running the football is boring.   So...let's make football pass at least twice per 4 downs....and....a girl has to be the QB every other down....like PE class.   I know that whistle britches will tell me that I'm being over dramatic, but I firmly believe that as a faN I have a right.

Brian G

NC and Texas adding shot clock.

beach bum

Quote from: B.G. on September 03, 2018, 08:49:19 am

And what do you know.... States with far superior basketball than ours which will leave our state even further in the dust when producing talent to take to the next level!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on September 03, 2018, 01:38:03 pm

And what do you know.... States with far superior basketball than ours which will leave our state even further in the dust when producing talent to take to the next level!

Our state isn't in their dust to begin with....We see the dust cloud on the distant horizon...Shot clock won't change that....🤷

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on September 03, 2018, 08:49:19 am

Has anyone seen any guidance from any state HS athletic association on how table procedures should change? 

sevenof400

Since this issue has lost interest for a bit, let's see where things are now:

AAA has (on its website) the following:
AAA 2018-2019 Shot Clock Experiment Application (35-SECOND – BOYS AND GIRLS)

At present, this is all I can find for procedures for the shot clock operator:

GUIDELINES FOR SHOT CLOCK OPERATORS

BEFORE THE GAME
PREGAME with game officials.
The shot clock horn should be distinctly different from the game clock horn. Sound the horn for game
officials during the pregame conference.
During pregame observe officials signal to reset shot clock and develop communication to correct on
the shot clock timing errors.
Be familiar with the shot clock RECALL button.
Be patient to reset the shot clock.
The game officials will decide any questions in regards to ball hitting or missing the rim, score or no score, ball leaving the hand or not leaving the hand within the shot clock time.

DURING THE COURSE OF THE GAME:
Starting the shot clock – Initial Jump Ball
When the basketball is tossed by the game official, be patient to start the shot clock. Keep in mind
that the game clock will start once the ball is tipped by one or both jumpers. However, the shot clock must start when the ball is possessed or controlled by one of the players on either team.
Starting the shot clock – On Throw-Ins
Once the game official gives the signal to start the game clock. It applies to shot clock. Once the ball is legally touched in bounds on a throw-in by either team player all clocks must start.
Starting the shot clock – On Rebounds following a try after the ball hits the ring.
Once the try hits the ring, reset the shot clock and start it once of the players gain possession of the ball.
Stopping the shot clock.
Stop the shot clock on every official whistle. Do not reset the shot clock, wait on the official's signal. The shot clock recall will be useful if the shot clock is reset in error. The game official will give you the signal if a reset is required.
Stop the shot clock when a players try hits their ring. Reset the shot clock and start it once a player secures the rebound, OR on a made try. Reset the shot clock and start it once the throw-in is touched by either team player.
Resetting the shot clock
Reset the shot clock on a change of possession.
Reset the shot clock when a players try hits the ring.
Reset the shot clock on fouls.
Reset the shot clock on a defensive kickball violation to 15 seconds in shot clock displays 14 seconds
or below.
Pregame shot clock reset and signals with shot clock operator. During pregame listen to shot clock
horn. If either shot clock is not working, no shot clock will be used.
Official shot clock signals
Reset Two fingers held above the head and moved in a circular motion. Violation One hand held flat above the head and moved in a tapping a motion.

2018-19 Statistics for AAA Shot Clock Experiment
PLEASE APPOINT a reliable statistician and have him or her collect data requested on this form. THIS FORM SHALL BE RETURNED TO THE AAA OFFICE WITHIN TWO WEEKS OF THE COMPLETION OF THE EVENT.
Do not combine BOYS and GIRLS statistics on the same form.
DATA TO BE SECURED FROM THE SCOREBOOK
BOYS __________ GIRLS __________ Competition TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES included in this report ______
TOTAL SCORE: WINNERS ______ LOSERS ______
TOTAL TIME: HOURS ______ MINUTES ______ DO NOT AVERAGE
THE FOLLOWING ARE TOTALS FOR BOTH TEAMS AND ALL GAMES (DO NOT AVERAGE)
_______ Total number of PERSONAL FOULS throughout game
_______ Total number of PERSONAL FOULS IN FOURTH QUARTER only _______ Total number of PERSONAL DISQUALFIED WITH FIVE FOULS _______ Total number of THROWS ATTEMPTED (personal or technical fouls) _______ Total number of SUCCESSFUL FREE THROWS
_______ Total number of TWO-POINT FIELD GOALS ATTEMPTED
_______ Total number of SUCCESSFUL TWO-POINT FIELD GOALS
_______ Total number of THREE-POINT FIELD GOALS ATTEMPTED
_______ Total number of THREE-POINT FIELD GOALS
Administrative Questions:
What was your equipment cost for the shot clock:
What was the compensation for the shot clock operator:
Describe any issues or problems with securing an individual to operate the shot clock:
     SCHOOL SUBMITTING: SIGNATURE:
DATE:
___________________________________________ ___________________________________________ ___________________________________________

sevenof400

November 18, 2018, 07:43:05 pm #106 Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:45:53 pm by sevenof400
Clearly, AAA is expecting the shot clock to require another dedicated person at the scorer's table because in reading the responsibilities, there is NO WAY the current clock operator or book keeper could fulfill these duties. 

Also, for those schools who have a person (or persons) running a big board (with individual player points and fouls) and / or a PA announcer, I don't see those individuals being able to effectively serve two functions here. 

What have y'all seen in the field for schools that have actually tried this - and more importantly - was it working? 

Head Lion

I would love to see, but with the quality of officiating, it would be just one more thing to get screwed up.

Flobbito

Quote from: Head Lion on November 23, 2018, 07:14:39 pm
I would love to see, but with the quality of officiating, it would be just one more thing to get screwed up.

+1

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Flobbito on December 06, 2018, 01:23:31 pm
+1

Officials have plenty on their plate already, and you want to add to that?  You also are going to put an additional strain on the clock keepers.   Good defense can set the tempo so I'm not a big fan of the clock in HS.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 12, 2018, 10:38:27 am
Officials have plenty on their plate already, and you want to add to that?  You also are going to put an additional strain on the clock keepers.   Good defense can set the tempo so I'm not a big fan of the clock in HS.

I believe the big issue would be the clock operator =, heck they have enough problems keeping the score right, much less the time and a shot clock.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: pick_DA_EAGLES on December 12, 2018, 10:48:16 am

I believe the big issue would be the clock operator =, heck they have enough problems keeping the score right, much less the time and a shot clock.

What I have seen, most schools use a three-man table crew. One will operate the "big board," i.e., player points/fouls, team timeouts, and serve as the PA guy, one will keep the official book, and one will keep the clock, score, team fouls, and sub horn.

In these instances, none of them would be able to keep the shot clock on top of their duties; so, more than likely, a fourth person would be needed at most scoring tables just to keep the shot clock.

This still has nothing on college scoring tables, though. Just the other day, we had close to 15 at UCA's table during a women's basketball game.

Pick_DA_EAGLES

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on December 12, 2018, 01:40:04 pm
What I have seen, most schools use a three-man table crew. One will operate the "big board," i.e., player points/fouls, team timeouts, and serve as the PA guy, one will keep the official book, and one will keep the clock, score, team fouls, and sub horn.

In these instances, none of them would be able to keep the shot clock on top of their duties; so, more than likely, a fourth person would be needed at most scoring tables just to keep the shot clock.

This still has nothing on college scoring tables, though. Just the other day, we had close to 15 at UCA's table during a women's basketball game.

I can see that being a must

Brian G

Kansas just voted against it.
http://www.newstribune.com/news/sports/prep/story/2018/dec/23/press-box-shot-clock-not-necessary-high-school-basketball/757931/

At some point, AD's will be more in tune to what more and more of the stewards of the game want and not look at it as a $$$ issue.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: B.G. on December 24, 2018, 09:38:50 am
http://www.newstribune.com/news/sports/prep/story/2018/dec/23/press-box-shot-clock-not-necessary-high-school-basketball/757931/

At some point, AD's will be more in tune to what more and more of the stewards of the game want and not look at it as a $$$ issue.

I think it's more pushback from "old school" coaches that money.... I do think it's more of a matter of when and not if shot clocks are used

CoachWhoever

Arkansas MUST go to a shot clock. I'm tired of hearing that it takes away strategy. That's a load of bs. How many times have you worked up a masterful plan, kept the game close. Given yourself a chance...only to have the 4th quarter roll around and the superior team pull away? They can back you out and hold the ball. Make you come guard them. A shot clock will help lesser teams. Money? I've priced them. They are cheap. There's literally no excuse to vote against it.

Moonshiner

December 29, 2018, 11:58:58 pm #117 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:16:24 am by Moonshiner
Quote from: B.G. on December 24, 2018, 09:38:50 am

Maybe

sevenof400

Quote from: CoachWhoever on December 29, 2018, 08:43:37 pm
Arkansas MUST go to a shot clock. I'm tired of hearing that it takes away strategy. That's a load of bs. How many times have you worked up a masterful plan, kept the game close. Given yourself a chance...only to have the 4th quarter roll around and the superior team pull away? They can back you out and hold the ball. Make you come guard them. A shot clock will help lesser teams. Money? I've priced them. They are cheap. There's literally no excuse to vote against it.

Defense.
It's a wonderful thing. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 30, 2018, 10:28:29 am
Defense.
It's a wonderful thing. 

What I get out of most of the Pro-Shot Clock posts is that their appalled at the idea of it might be the defenses fault for letting a team hold the ball at half court 🤷

BTW I don't care either way on the shot clock, from the two years I've seen it used at the Hoops for Hunger tournament in Russellville, there's been a lot more operator mess ups than their have been shot clock violations/plays effected by it 🤷

no mascot

Does anyone else think that we'd see a lot of older refs get out of the profession if hey have to learn how to work w a shot clock?

blueandwhite

Quote from: CoachWhoever on December 29, 2018, 08:43:37 pm

Ok, let's make it fair for the losing/less superior team in every sport when they are behind near the end of the game.
In football, we will shorten the play clock for the winning/superior team in the fourth quarter.

In the 7th inning of baseball and softball, we will use modified version of the softball international tie breaking procedure. If the losing team is down 1, they can put a runner on 2nd base to start the inning. If they are are down 2 runs, put a runner on 2nd and 3rd base. If they are down by 3 or more, load the bases to start the inning.

In volleyball, the winning team can only play with 5 players if they are up 2 sets to 0.

In soccer, the winning team will have to pull their goalie at certain time of the game, to give the losing team a chance.

Or here is a better idea, the losing/less superior team just gets better.

I hate it when I hear people say, "We lost on a last second shot," or "We lost because the other team held the ball for the entire fourth quarter." No you lost because you missed 3 open layups in the first 3 quarters, or you shot 30% from the free throw line, or you had 20 turnovers, etc.

sevenof400

Quote from: no mascot on December 30, 2018, 10:55:35 am
Does anyone else think that we'd see a lot of older refs get out of the profession if hey have to learn how to work w a shot clock?

As there have been rule changes all along, I don't see why this specific rule change would cause any more referee attrition than there already is. 
I can see where the need for a meaningful pregame conference with the scorers table would increase - and I think that would be a positive development as a good number of referees sort of take things for granted at the scorers table. 

Brian G

Gray lizard

I attended the Hoops for Hunger in Russellville the past two years. I watched up to 4 to 5 games each day.  I for one saw several stoppage of the games due to the shot clock operation. If it becomes a rule table workers as well a officials will require a single person to watch the clock. I also noticed most teams that were affected by the clock were the teams that worked for a good open shot. I for one don't care to see high school basket ball turn into who can jack up the most shots.  Good defense can turn the ball over to keep a team from holding the ball. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: beach bum on July 09, 2018, 09:59:56 pm
A shot clock is not near as radical as what you just stated above.... Don't be so dramatic and exaggerate that impact about the change to a shot clock.

I would think it would be compared to a play clock, not anything he just mentioned. He's obviously dramatic and can't think logically when he gets fired up.

beach bum

But the shot clock is a Chinese conspiracy to make our coaches be lazy like they want to  ::) .... They just want to be lazy remember??

HorseFeathers

Quote from: beach bum on January 02, 2019, 07:55:26 pm
But the shot clock is a Chinese conspiracy to make our coaches be lazy like they want to  ::) .... They just want to be lazy remember??

Maybe the shot clock will bring back the mid-range game?

Moonshiner

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 02, 2019, 07:28:02 pm
I would think it would be compared to a play clock, not anything he just mentioned. He's obviously dramatic and can't think logically when he gets fired up.

I've never been accused of thinking logically.  You must be a slow reader because my comment, and the reply, are quite old. 

Ice Water

Will someone explain the shot clock vs football play clock comparison? I'm struggling to understand this one. Without a play clock, and to an extent even with it, a team is bleeding the clock without the ball in play. Without a shot clock, there is still live gameplay taking place during the milking phase.

Flobbito

January 03, 2019, 06:17:24 am #130 Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:39:31 am by Flobbito
Quote from: Ice Water on January 03, 2019, 01:01:21 am
Will someone explain the shot clock vs football play clock comparison? I'm struggling to understand this one. Without a play clock, and to an extent even with it, a team is bleeding the clock without the ball in play. Without a shot clock, there is still live gameplay taking place during the milking phase.

Yeah, I don't think you can compare the two, a fair comparison would be to limit the time of a potential play in football to eliminate circus plays like the multiple lateral plays that take 20-25 seconds to complete. Limiting the amount of time in a football play to say 15 seconds then the play is blown dead. A better comparison would be the football play clock to the five second inbound rule for basketball. Obviously both are needed.

Baseball pitch clock, same thing as the football play clock basically, with a big difference being that there isn't a predetermined amount of time in which a baseball game has to be played.  These seems like something the TV stations pushed for to prevent games running into other time slots.

Oldref

I just dont see the urgency to add the expense of a shot clock to every school. I have been to a zillion games the past 55 or so years and I can only remember a handful of stall tactics that resulted in a really low final score. I do remember a few years ago Armorell and ICC both elected to stall against Bay in the regionals in back to back games and the score was low for a half.  Bay mercy ruled both in the second half after turning up the defensive pressure.

I see games now that the attendance in some places doesnt even pay the cost of the officials and clock keepers. Cost verses benefits just doesnt seem to be worth it to me since it so rarely even happens. Just my opinion.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Oldref on January 03, 2019, 09:02:07 am
I just dont see the urgency to add the expense of a shot clock to every school. I have been to a zillion games the past 55 or so years and I can only remember a handful of stall tactics that resulted in a really low final score. I do remember a few years ago Armorell and ICC both elected to stall against Bay in the regionals in back to back games and the score was low for a half.  Bay mercy ruled both in the second half after turning up the defensive pressure.

I see games now that the attendance in some places doesnt even pay the cost of the officials and clock keepers. Cost verses benefits just doesnt seem to be worth it to me since it so rarely even happens. Just my opinion.

And a very good point.  Larger schools have larger athletic budgets.  I know that a class A school, which most don't care about, will barely make enough to cover the increasing cost of officials on any given night.  Gate keepers, and two table officials add to the cost.  Now we add a third person that has to be paid?  Where does that money come from?
Increase the admission cost you might say.  In most of these rural areas that will just mean more moms and dads will stay home.

riccoar

I would think that the board operator could do both.

Moonshiner

Northark had some repeated issues with their shot clock  the last couple days

sevenof400

Quote from: riccoar on January 04, 2019, 12:28:10 pm

As someone who works a table, I can tell you this won't work.
BUT, let me be clear on one thing - what are you considering a board operator?  The person who runs the scoreboard or the person who runs the player board (the board listing individual players, their point and fouls)?

beach bum

January 04, 2019, 08:21:03 pm #136 Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:25:57 pm by beach bum
Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2019, 04:54:21 pm
BUT, let me be clear on one thing - what are you considering a board operator?  The person who runs the scoreboard or the person who runs the player board (the board listing individual players, their point and fouls)?

I think they should just adapt the current American working model that seems to be doing quite well for those in charge..... Have the people do more work, but don't expect anything more for the effort put into it. That seems to make all the people I know in that situation very, very happy   ;D .... The people at the scorer's table can give it a go now, and see how it works for them. Just a thought..

sevenof400

We really need that sarcasm button...

Moonshiner

Quote from: beach bum on January 04, 2019, 08:21:03 pm

I think they should just adapt the current American working model that seems to be doing quite well for those in charge..... Have the people do more work, but don't expect anything more for the effort put into it. That seems to make all the people I know in that situation very, very happy   ;D .... The people at the scorer's table can give it a go now, and see how it works for them. Just a thought..

You really have no clue how things work in high schools do you.

riccoar

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 04, 2019, 04:54:21 pm
The games I've seen you have one person running the scoreboard and the other person doing official scoring manually in a book.  I'm taking a big assumption that they would just produce scoring boxes that are integrated with a shot clock.

Rocket23

January 07, 2019, 12:59:37 pm #140 Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 08:56:38 pm by Rocket23
This will be a disaster for most schools.  The shot clock is the most difficult as the operator must pay close attention as they do not have a whistle to listen for, an officials' signal to watch for.  I have officiated high school and college ball for 33 years and worked shot clock years ago for Lady Razorbacks and once for Hogs' game and it is way harder than you think.  One must pay constant attention.  It is a constant battle even at some of my DII, DIII and judo games.

At the high school level it would add another element for the officials as well.

Quote from: riccoar on January 04, 2019, 12:28:10 pm

nuttinbuthogs

Shot clock is there for the fans.  A good coach can set tempo with his style of play on offense or defense to help his team depending on need and ability.  I don't see how anyone thinks a shot clock helps the lesser team.  Now they can run down the floor and be forced to take a shot whether they are ready or not and whether they have good shooters or not.  How does that help?  Oh yeah, they don't have to play defense for more than 35 seconds, unless the other team misses a shot and gets their own rebound.   So you give the bad team  an advantage of playing quick offense and not play defense for more than 35 seconds.  Can't see that as an advantage.  The better team, doesn't need to stall the ball so they don't need the entire 35 seconds on offense and they probably play better defense so they keep the poorer team from getting off a decent shot.  Why can't teams just play whatever style is best for the kids they have and that the coach, who is hired to make those decisions, thinks best?

RATTLER43

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on January 09, 2019, 06:00:13 pm
Shot clock is there for the fans.  A good coach can set tempo with his style of play on offense or defense to help his team depending on need and ability.  I don't see how anyone thinks a shot clock helps the lesser team.  Now they can run down the floor and be forced to take a shot whether they are ready or not and whether they have good shooters or not.  How does that help?  Oh yeah, they don't have to play defense for more than 35 seconds, unless the other team misses a shot and gets their own rebound.   So you give the bad team  an advantage of playing quick offense and not play defense for more than 35 seconds.  Can't see that as an advantage.  The better team, doesn't need to stall the ball so they don't need the entire 35 seconds on offense and they probably play better defense so they keep the poorer team from getting off a decent shot.  Why can't teams just play whatever style is best for the kids they have and that the coach, who is hired to make those decisions, thinks best?

I think the shot clock is coming, but I agree with most everything you mentioned.  I actually like the pro game, the college game, and the high school games each having their own identities.  I love high school basketball just the way it is.  I love up-tempo games, I love shooting fests, I love intense defensive games, and have thoroughly enjoyed when a team with less talent overcame more athleticism by coaching, slow-down, fundamentally sound ball-handling, and great offensive schemes.   High school rules allow for great coaches to coach the style which gives their team the best opportunity to win.  But, I still think it is coming...

AT

https://twitter.com/5NEWSAndrew/status/1083913134514020352

Not sure how twitter videos work on here now, but go to that link if you can and watch that video. I'd like to hear opinions on both sides of this argument about that.

RATTLER43

Depends on your philosophy.   Is high school ball about the fans or the kids? Is it about trying to find the best way to win or to entertain?   Are those kids (on both teams) doing what is giving them their best chance to win?   

I have done it as a player against a vastly superior team.  They had beaten us by 20+ twice.  We stalled (passing, screening, and cutting hard because they came out and defended us) and played them a 1-point game in the semifinals with us missing a last second shot from 8 feet (albeit over an imposing center's outreached arms).    I was glad we gave ourselves a chance to win.  Didn't, as an athlete, care what our fans thought.  I was there to win.

I coached it (rarely; I preferred aggressive in your grill man to man defense with transition).   In horrible foul trouble with a small lead against the top team in our conference.  We stalled the entire 3rd quarter effectively.    We also had a very effective end of game "stall" if we possessed a sizeable lead.   

I had a clipping from the 80s where an athletically inferior girls team stalled an entire game and lost something like 8-4.   

I wouldn't want to sit in stands and watch a stationary player dribble for an entire game (or an entire quarter for that matter), but I am of the philosophy that the opposing team determines if they are going to defend or not.   And I firmly believe in a coach and team doing what gives the best opportunity to win.

All of this post is opinion about high school basketball.   And it is the opinion of an old guy.   I loved the old Princeton teams giving fits to #1 and #2 seeds back in the day with Pete Carril at the helm.  The '89 game vs. Georgetown was a thing of beauty as was the 'mid 90s game vs. UCLA.  See, that's why I say it is a matter of philosophy and opinion. 

Flobbito

I've seen the stall ball quite a bit in the district and regional tournaments, I don't think High School is ready for it yet.

Mulerider4Life

Hope the shot clock happens full time next year.

sevenof400

AT

I find myself wavering on this argument. I was pro-shot clock, but now I find myself on the fence.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 26, 2019, 09:34:08 am
Hope the shot clock happens full time next year.
Highly unlikely. Word is the AAA will apply for another year to experiment with the shot clock, and the NFHS will allow up to 3 years for experiments.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas