• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dermott Rams

Started by HorseFeathers, March 04, 2019, 05:49:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

Are they making an attempt to revive their football program?

i40traveler

I heard that they played a Jr High schedule this year so one would assume so. 

Dayton Kitchens

IIRC at the time they discontinued their football program it was because of costs,  not numbers.    They needed to cut something like $400,000 at that time.    If they are starting back up I wonder where they got the money?

highway79

neighboring schools are all pitching in to keep from having to take Dermott in. lol

Lumberjackfan1978

Hope they can start it back

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Dayton Kitchens on March 06, 2019, 10:22:05 am
IIRC at the time they discontinued their football program it was because of costs,  not numbers.    They needed to cut something like $400,000 at that time.    If they are starting back up I wonder where they got the money?
They have been close to getting shut down because of numbers for a few years now. It will be another small school forfeiting games if they try. I don't see it happening.

arkansasprepfootball

Quote from: i40traveler on March 05, 2019, 10:47:51 am
I heard that they played a Jr High schedule this year so one would assume so.

I do not think this is accurate.  They added baseball and softball a couple of years ago, supposedly those offerings where in lieu of football.  Dermott is on its last legs, adding football would not be a wise business decision - especially given there location, they would not draw kids from area schools.

Kinda' off-topic, but schools like Dermott speak to the issues that 8-man football is going to bring about.  Where are these schools people said would jump to add football when 8-man got started?  I think some forgot about the significant costs of starting / restarting football - costs of 8-man and 11-man is virtually the same.  8-man is going to become a catch-all for 11-man programs that can't compete.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: arkansasprepfootball on March 10, 2019, 10:29:12 am
I do not think this is accurate.  They added baseball and softball a couple of years ago, supposedly those offerings where in lieu of football.  Dermott is on its last legs, adding football would not be a wise business decision - especially given there location, they would not draw kids from area schools.

Kinda' off-topic, but schools like Dermott speak to the issues that 8-man football is going to bring about.  Where are these schools people said would jump to add football when 8-man got started?  I think some forgot about the significant costs of starting / restarting football - costs of 8-man and 11-man is virtually the same.  8-man is going to become a catch-all for 11-man programs that can't compete.

They did play jh last year at dermott.  And they are playing jh this year as well.  Talked to someone at a school they are playing.  Didnt say if they are gonna do anything in high school, but it wouldnt be this year.  As far as 8 man, teams with no football HAVE looked into it.  No word on whether it will be added by many or any.  My guess is maybe a handful.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: threepeoplematter on March 10, 2019, 12:08:26 pm

They did play jh last year at dermott.  And they are playing jh this year as well.  Talked to someone at a school they are playing.  Didnt say if they are gonna do anything in high school, but it wouldnt be this year.  As far as 8 man, teams with no football HAVE looked into it.  No word on whether it will be added by many or any.  My guess is maybe a handful.

Dermott is below the 350 line....Is this a hail marry to maybe recruit kids back to Dermott that might have school choiced to other districts to play?

NWA Hawg

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 10, 2019, 12:18:28 pm
Dermott is below the 350 line....Is this a hail marry to maybe recruit kids back to Dermott that might have school choiced to other districts to play?

350 doesn't matter anymore.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: fann07 on March 10, 2019, 04:04:28 pm
350 doesn't matter anymore.

Well.....If being below 350 is used as the benchmark to automatically close a school that's on fiscal or academic distress, it probably matters, that they are below 350 and looking dumping a lot of money into starting a football program.

Hawgpilot

Quote from: HorseFeathers on March 10, 2019, 04:20:15 pm
Well.....If being below 350 is used as the benchmark to automatically close a school that's on fiscal or academic distress, it probably matters, that they are below 350 and looking dumping a lot of money into starting a football program.

All true, but it wouldn't be the first time a public entity poorly spends money.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas