• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Belated congratulations to Greenwood, Arkansas' newest 7A school

Started by OPoraquê, March 10, 2014, 08:55:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OPoraquê

(Yes, I know they're at the bottom of 6A now, but those numbers were before it was announced that the new Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (and possible dental school, and p.a. achool, and p.t. school) was announced (Baitshop, I knew there was something you were keeping under your chef's hat).)

Driving there yesterday I saw a lot of new homes south/southeast of Zero and Massard that are either in the Greenwood school district or in that far corner of the FSM district that they can likely attend either one.  (Forgive me if you don't have that type of option there...I know it's in effect here in Bella Vista for Gravette and Bentonville.)  Driving south on Chad Colley and in the Howard Hill area around the new paved interstate there are new subdivisions and apartments complexes DEFINITELY in the Greenwood district.  And with that new med school, plus much more, to come it's inevitable there will be many more such homes.  Ivy Owen, the Chaffee Crossing director, has said this part of Fort Smith "will be unrecognizable" in years to come.  That tells me parts of Greenwood will be, too, even if "Eastside High School" comes to pass.

Barring a total economic collapse it will be interesting to see Greenwood and post BL,Sr. Bentonville square off someday in a 7A district and/or playoff game.  No doubt in my mind that it will happen now.

DogsWin7

Won't it be fun!  I think it will be great!  Greenwood is growing considerably.   The new school is going to be another great addition to an already thriving community...IMO.  I'm glad to see this happen for the kids. 

ricepig

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on the OD schools. I don't see the state opening two of them with the lack of residencies now for UAMS grads. It's not that we don't need more Drs in Arkansas, especially in the rural areas, but not all the grads are getting matched now. For those that don't know, ASU-J is ready to start a school in 2015, pending approval.

OPoraquê

Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2014, 10:50:18 am
It will be interesting to see how this plays out on the OD schools. I don't see the state opening two of them with the lack of residencies now for UAMS grads. It's not that we don't need more Drs in Arkansas, especially in the rural areas, but not all the grads are getting matched now. For those that don't know, ASU-J is ready to start a school in 2015, pending approval.

Indeed.  (BTW, congratulations to ASU as well.)  I was wondering about the ASU one with Memphis so close by, but there's a significant need in east Arkansas, plus Jonesboro is close to Missouri, the "purchase" area of Kentucky, far southern Illinois, etc.

I know that the one in Fort Smith is privately funded. They're very ambitious on this project (rendering below, with the future I-49 in east FSM to the lower right of the image)...they're planning on having it open to have the first incoming class in 2017.

ricepig

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 10, 2014, 11:00:54 am
Quote from: ricepig on March 10, 2014, 10:50:18 am

Indeed.  (BTW, congratulations to ASU as well.)  I was wondering about the ASU one with Memphis so close by, but there's a significant need in east Arkansas, plus Jonesboro is close to Missouri, the "purchase" area of Kentucky, far southern Illinois, etc.

I know that the one in Fort Smith is privately funded. They're very ambitious on this project (rendering below, with the future I-49 in east FSM to the lower right of the image)...they're planning on having it open to have the first incoming class in 2017.

That's the deal, Jonesboro is ready now, and plans to open in 2015, it is a joint effort with NYIT.

Spaulding

Quote from: OPoraquê on March 10, 2014, 08:55:33 am
(Yes, I know they're at the bottom of 6A now, but those numbers were before it was announced that the new Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (and possible dental school, and p.a. achool, and p.t. school) was announced (Baitshop, I knew there was something you were keeping under your chef's hat).)

Driving there yesterday I saw a lot of new homes south/southeast of Zero and Massard that are either in the Greenwood school district or in that far corner of the FSM district that they can likely attend either one.  (Forgive me if you don't have that type of option there...I know it's in effect here in Bella Vista for Gravette and Bentonville.)  Driving south on Chad Colley and in the Howard Hill area around the new paved interstate there are new subdivisions and apartments complexes DEFINITELY in the Greenwood district.  And with that new med school, plus much more, to come it's inevitable there will be many more such homes.  Ivy Owen, the Chaffee Crossing director, has said this part of Fort Smith "will be unrecognizable" in years to come.  That tells me parts of Greenwood will be, too, even if "Eastside High School" comes to pass.

Barring a total economic collapse it will be interesting to see Greenwood and post BL,Sr. Bentonville square off someday in a 7A district and/or playoff game.  No doubt in my mind that it will happen now.
Not to doubt you, but, I am pretty sure that if you live on the Gravette side of Bella Vista (the west side), you cannot attend Bentonville schools.  Somewhere in Bella Vista is the school boundry dividing the two districts.  Now, you may be able to transfer from the Bentonville side into the Gravette district, but, you cannot go from the Gravette side to Bentonville.  I think it is state not local school regulation that if the district (or maybe individual school) is considered at capacity, which Bentonville is, then you cannot transfer in without living in the district. 

Now, there are kids living in Bentonville that can freely go to Pea Ridge, I assume Gravette, etc.  At one point, you could freely go to HarBer without moving there - that was 3-4 years ago.  Not sure about now.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas