• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 teams

Started by AverageJo24, October 19, 2018, 11:52:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AverageJo24

Has anyone heard of any new teams joining the 8 man football for 2019? I expect an increase in teams wanting to play, but haven't heard of any specific teams.

birddawg1986

I hear Augusta will stay permanent. Rumors say Midland will do this year and Rector fall 2020

nightowl

Marvell needs to join bad

friscokid

I think one of the secrets to making 8-man take off is to make all schools start basketball in November at the same time. Remove the incentive to not having football.

friscokid

I'll add that there are a few 3A teams who rose to the point where they should strongly consider it. Not naming any names, bud.

baseball13

Quote from: friscokid on October 30, 2018, 01:23:59 am
I think one of the secrets to making 8-man take off is to make all schools start basketball in November at the same time. Remove the incentive to not having football.

or let everyone start playing when the non football schools do.

i40traveler

Quote from: friscokid on October 30, 2018, 01:41:07 am
I'll add that there are a few 3A teams who rose to the point where they should strongly consider it. Not naming any names, bud.

I see what you did there

Missco

Arkansas starts basketball way to early for non-football schools. It is the only state I know of in this area that does that.

OB11

I really do wish the start date for basketball was the same for all schools regardless of classification.

HorseFeathers

Let all schools start in October 🤔

Flobbito

HorseFeathers

I feel like basketball season used to start a lot earlier than it does now for the "football" schools

beach bum

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 31, 2018, 11:00:20 am

I have always wondered what the reasoning of the AAA was to not allow  all schools the option to start playing in October. I know some may rely heavily on football players coming over in especially the 2A and 3A ranks, but when I played at a 4A school all 5 of us starters where basketball only guys so why could we not start playing earlier. I would have loved the chance to get 6 to 8 more games in, and it would be a great opportunity to really mix in a good variety of opponents. I think this rule of only letting basketball only schools is not fair because 2A and 3A schools like a Valley Springs for example get a leg up on their 3A counterparts who don't get that luxury of starting early on top of the obvious of all their athletes being in basketball to begin with. You follow the sport more down there so I would like to hear your input on that. I really wish all schools had that luxury of starting early if they wanted to.

beach bum

-I am shocked it has never been brought up to the vote on in the summer.... I honestly think it may have more to do with the possible ref situation (not sure how many of them duel up reffing football and basketball) which would cause a shortage in a 4-6 week window

-then I think the administrators would not want it cause it creates more work for them cause they have a loaded October and November on their plate in athletics

-I think the coaches and players would love it so I think it has more to do with outside factors than anything

OLionSwag74

look for Ida to become 8 man numbers are gonna go wayyyyyy down

threepeoplematter

Quote from: OLionSwag74 on December 05, 2018, 10:08:01 am
look for Ida to become 8 man numbers are gonna go wayyyyyy down

Rumor has it they aren't the only ones in west Arkansas looking to join soon either.  Hearing from a pretty good source that Western Yell County is considering 8 man, but their coach won't confirm/deny it to the source.  Hopefully it doesn't get dragged out like some of the teams did last year in deciding to do it and put all the other teams in a bind to find someone.

Wendell Robinson

Of the schools that were contacted last year to gauge interest, Western Yell was one of them. WY told those that were in contact with them that they were NOT interested and would NEVER be interested in it, perhaps now they have changed their tune. If you would like to know more on that situation you can PM me.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: Wendell Robinson on December 05, 2018, 11:59:17 am
Of the schools that were contacted last year to gauge interest, Western Yell was one of them. WY told those that were in contact with them that they were NOT interested and would NEVER be interested in it, perhaps now they have changed their tune. If you would like to know more on that situation you can PM me.

Maybe they changed their tune.  PM sent, I believe my guy though.

AT

I've heard WYC is going to 8 man, too, for what its worth.

MisterSneed

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 08, 2018, 03:17:34 pm
I've heard WYC is going to 8 man, too, for what its worth.

As long as Danville and Magazine remain even mildly successful WYC will always struggle.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: MisterSneed on December 12, 2018, 12:41:17 pm
As long as Danville and Magazine remain even mildly successful WYC will always struggle.

Agreed.  maybe they can win more in 8 man and get a little momentum going and at least keep the kids they got.

R. A.â„¢

this league will grow and should be fun to watch in the years to come.

Made

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 31, 2018, 11:00:20 am

So the option is to take a month and a half away from football and make the basketball season last 5 months?

mr.gametime

Quote from: birddawg1986 on October 28, 2018, 09:40:00 am
I hear Augusta will stay permanent. Rumors say Midland will do this year and Rector fall 2020

Augusta is trying it's best to field a full team this year and return to 11 man football if possible.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: mr.gametime on January 21, 2019, 04:53:55 am
Augusta is trying it's best to field a full team this year and return to 11 man football if possible.
That's good but if they don't at least they have 8 man football

friscokid

Quote from: mr.gametime on January 21, 2019, 04:53:55 am
They need to make that decision before other teams fill out their schedules. Since this is mid-cycle they need to wait until next year.

Bearden_Bear72

Did Woodlawn win the season handily or were there challenges?  Just tryna grt a sense of the competition

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Bearden_Bear72 on January 24, 2019, 05:51:43 pm
Did Woodlawn win the season handily or were there challenges?  Just tryna grt a sense of the competition
I think Woodlawn had a pretty good team not sure what there record was

GoodGuy

According to Maxpreps, Woodlawn went 9-0 with one forfeit win and the other scores were:
Augusta-  38-36
Episcopal-  52-0
ACA-  60- 0
Decatur- 44-0
Hermitage- 53-0
Augusta- 70-40
Episcopal-  38-28
Hermitage-  49-8

Bearden_Bear72

I hate to see some teams are still getting demolished but I believe a few more teams will be in league next time round and that should help competition.

threepeoplematter

Heard from a coach in conference that Western Yell has told schools on schedule they are moving to 8 man for next year. 

Mulerider4Life

If Woodlawn goes undefeated next year again, then they need to go back to 2A, unless their numbers drop.

OB11

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 09:43:33 am
If Woodlawn goes undefeated next year again, then they need to go back to 2A, unless their numbers drop.

This is where you run into problems with 8 man. Eventually there will have to be some kind of cutoff number for roster or enrollment sizes. I'm assuming that will come from the AAA. I'm all for teams being competitive and winning, but leaving it up to the school itself whether or not they play 8 man could turn into a pretty slippery slope.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: OB11 on February 04, 2019, 09:47:32 am
This is where you run into problems with 8 man. Eventually there will have to be some kind of cutoff number for roster or enrollment sizes. I'm assuming that will come from the AAA. I'm all for teams being competitive and winning, but leaving it up to the school itself whether or not they play 8 man could turn into a pretty slippery slope.

Right now its a club sport is my understanding.  The AAA is suppose to sanction it next year is what I was told.  If they don't, and its a club sport, guess there won't be much to stop them.  But if they do, I would assume they would do it like every other classification.  I think Woodlawn should be near whatever enrollment number they use as a cutoff.  I think Oklahoma and other states have a low cut off number.  But I wouldn't think it would be fair for a 3A enrollment or up to just say hey we are gonna play 8 man so we can win a lot.  That would be overkill.

OB11

Quote from: threepeoplematter on February 04, 2019, 09:56:03 am
Right now its a club sport is my understanding.  The AAA is suppose to sanction it next year is what I was told.  If they don't, and its a club sport, guess there won't be much to stop them.  But if they do, I would assume they would do it like every other classification.  I think Woodlawn should be near whatever enrollment number they use as a cutoff.  I think Oklahoma and other states have a low cut off number.  But I wouldn't think it would be fair for a 3A enrollment or up to just say hey we are gonna play 8 man so we can win a lot.  That would be overkill.

Right, that's why (as much as I wish they at least looked like they knew what they were doing half the time) the AAA needs to sanction it soon. There has to be some kind of regulation on who can and can't declare for 8 man. Like I said, I love that it is an option for teams to play 8 man and not have to give up football. But a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Mulerider4Life

I feel like AAA would still mess it up. They don't exactly have the best track record as of lately. Maybe a different committee.

threepeoplematter

Quote from: OB11 on February 04, 2019, 09:59:28 am
Right, that's why (as much as I wish they at least looked like they knew what they were doing half the time) the AAA needs to sanction it soon. There has to be some kind of regulation on who can and can't declare for 8 man. Like I said, I love that it is an option for teams to play 8 man and not have to give up football. But a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Yes!  Exactly.  2020 is close now  :o as hard as that is to believe.  Seems like just yesterday it was 2010.  But I think this next year will determine where they draw the cutoff.  I'm confident it will be a low number.  Some schools are dropping because they don't have many kids in the school to choose from, and this has led to increased participation from kids who ordinarily wouldn't play, but it does no good to drop to keep football, if the same teams that are way bigger than them drop down too.  Defies the point, i think, of dropping due to low numbers, if someone has the numbers, but decides to run kids off, or not provide a quality experience, then they drop because of "low participation".  Difference in enrollment and participation.  One is not always based on the other. 

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: threepeoplematter on February 04, 2019, 10:04:53 am
Yes!  Exactly.  2020 is close now  :o as hard as that is to believe.  Seems like just yesterday it was 2010.  But I think this next year will determine where they draw the cutoff.  I'm confident it will be a low number.  Some schools are dropping because they don't have many kids in the school to choose from, and this has led to increased participation from kids who ordinarily wouldn't play, but it does no good to drop to keep football, if the same teams that are way bigger than them drop down too.  Defies the point, i think, of dropping due to low numbers, if someone has the numbers, but decides to run kids off, or not provide a quality experience, then they drop because of "low participation".  Difference in enrollment and participation.  One is not always based on the other.

What if they had 1A/2A 8 Man, and 3A 8 Man. Maybe not now, but 3 or 4 years down the road. I think they should pitch 8 man to some larger 1A Schools that don't have a team.  Like Taylor

threepeoplematter

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 10:23:07 am
What if they had 1A/2A 8 Man, and 3A 8 Man. Maybe not now, but 3 or 4 years down the road. I think they should pitch 8 man to some larger 1A Schools that don't have a team.  Like Taylor

Yeah, but what if enough 3a schools don't play?  Then you just have a large school/small school split?  I can see it working like that.  Very rational idea.  I think someone has said some of the larger 1A/2A that don't have it are looking to add 8 man football, but so far no idea who all will.  May not know until they have to declare for the next cycle.

OB11

Quote from: threepeoplematter on February 04, 2019, 10:28:14 am
Yeah, but what if enough 3a schools don't play?  Then you just have a large school/small school split?  I can see it working like that.  Very rational idea.  I think someone has said some of the larger 1A/2A that don't have it are looking to add 8 man football, but so far no idea who all will.  May not know until they have to declare for the next cycle.

I imagine they will just take whatever schools declare for 8 man, have a cutoff number and split them into (probably) two divisions. That's pretty much how they do the regular classifications now. Say you have 20 teams declare for 8 man. The ten with the highest enrollment play in the "upper" division, and the ten with the lowest enrollment play in the "lower" division.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: OB11 on February 04, 2019, 10:33:35 am
I imagine they will just take whatever schools declare for 8 man, have a cutoff number and split them into (probably) two divisions. That's pretty much how they do the regular classifications now. Say you have 20 teams declare for 8 man. The ten with the highest enrollment play in the "upper" division, and the ten with the lowest enrollment play in the "lower" division.

Exactly what my thought was. I think as you see sports popularity on the rise, you will see small schools have more people involved in or want to be involved in football.

NWA Hawg

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 10:23:07 am

I don't understand why Emerson, Taylor, and Bradley don't have one big team. No sense in them not having a football team in Taylor and letting kids from all three schools play.

Mulerider4Life

Ehh its tough. For example Sparkman AR kids can go play football at Camden Harmony Grove. But I don't think multiple schools can have one big team.

HorseFeathers

Emerson-Taylor-Bradley are one school district.... Ozark Mountain District pulls kids from all 3 of their schools for Baseball.

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: HorseFeathers on February 04, 2019, 03:09:44 pm
Emerson-Taylor-Bradley are one school district.... Ozark Mountain District pulls kids from all 3 of their schools for Baseball.

I knew already they were one district, but didn't know they were allowed to pull to make one team. Learn something everyday. Emerson use to have a football team back in the early 2000's I believe. Even up to like 2009 I think? Not sure, but I feel like I remember seeing something in the Democrat Gazette back in the day.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Mulerider4Life on February 04, 2019, 03:41:26 pm
I knew already they were one district, but didn't know they were allowed to pull to make one team. Learn something everyday. Emerson use to have a football team back in the early 2000's I believe. Even up to like 2009 I think? Not sure, but I feel like I remember seeing something in the Democrat Gazette back in the day.

I don't remember any of them having football....Bradley had one before Fearless Friday era

And to my knowledge consolidated districts can pull from every campus so long as they don't offer the sport on every campus.....it's how Sparkman kids can play for CHG, Hartford(now closed) could play football at Hackett

friscokid

Quote from: OB11 on February 04, 2019, 10:33:35 am
That's basically how Oklahoma does it (Class B and C). In this case I would be open to letting some 3A bottom feeders in, with approval from a majority of 8-man superintendents on a case-by-case basis.

ak58

Emerson- Taylor - Bradley would have the perfect mix of athletes to make a competitive football team. I've heard some people from there talk about it, but they all say the same thing... small town politics of a baseball school + 2 basketball schools make it really hard. They will miss out,  8 man is a great opportunity for small schools and communities!

i40traveler

I saw Dermott play a basketball game a few years ago with several football looking players. Are they considering?

Mulerider4Life

Quote from: ak58 on February 10, 2019, 03:27:23 pm
Emerson- Taylor - Bradley would have the perfect mix of athletes to make a competitive football team. I've heard some people from there talk about it, but they all say the same thing... small town politics of a baseball school + 2 basketball schools make it really hard. They will miss out,  8 man is a great opportunity for small schools and communities!

It's all about Administrators wanting to do it or not.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas