• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Class 3A

Started by 1-Adam-12, September 02, 2018, 10:13:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1-Adam-12

September 02, 2018, 10:13:31 am Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:22:22 am by 1-Adam-12
Paris could well do this again.  Hardwicke can bring it, and she has a lot of help with Inman and others.  I was impressed with how they came back from two sets down at Mena.

Having the state tournament at Paris is certainly going to be a big factor.  They do bring a crowd to each match and support their team very well.

And it may not even be over after this season.  Their junior high is unbeaten and hardly tested and have two very promising hitters.

Charleston has really come on.  They beat Booneville and though they lost to Paris all the games were competitive.  It hasn't taken long for the black and gold to start building a tradition in volleyball like they have in other sports.

Booneville has been uneven so far this season; they had a lot of changes in the off-season and are still trying to work through that.  But they are still a very capable and dangerous team.  And it looks like Mansfield and Waldron are making good progress.

Let's hear from some other parts of the state.  Whatcha got?

hogdiggity

Ashdown moved down to 3A this year, they will be difficult for anyone.  They have not lost a game outside of the Mena tournament.  Beat a very good Arkadelphia team last week in 5 sets. 

hsindian

Best 2 teams out of NEA this year, in my view, is Hoxie followed by Walnut Ridge. But I think Paris is still head and shoulders above anyone else.

1-Adam-12

Paris just keeps rolling.  Mansfield gave them a battle (31-29 second set) on Thursday, but otherwise business as usual for the Lady Eagles. 

Charleston has a leg up for 2nd place in the 3A West, but Booneville, Mansfield and Waldron are poised to pounce should the Lady Tigers slip up.  The three NWA schools in the conference, Elkins, West Fork and Lincoln, haven't shown a lot yet.

RTF

Paris over Mayflower yesterday 3-0

Paris plays Booneville today

RTF

According to Maxpreps only Hoxie and Harding Academy are left undefeated in 3A. Both have played fewer games than some teams. Hoxie is 6-0 and Harding 9-0.

1-Adam-12

Some more from the West:

Paris beats Booneville & Lincoln
Booneville recovers to beat West Fork
Charleston over Mansfield
Waldron beats Elkins

RTF

Hoxie only team left That has not lost sitting at 12-0

HA got beat by Episcopal making them 10-1

Only other one loss team is Paris at 16-1

RTF

September 26, 2018, 04:31:13 pm #8 Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 09:26:53 am by RTF
Hoxie lost to Jonesboro in a Tourney over the weekend, tied Nettelton to.

Harding not doing very good right now dropping to 10-5

Top 5 are

1. Paris  18-1
2. Hoxie  14-1-1
3. Atkins 14-2
4. Perryville 18-3-2
5. Charleston 15-4-1

Atkins is 2 of Perryville's losses
Paris is 2 of Charleston's

1-Adam-12

September 30, 2018, 01:12:02 pm #9 Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 01:14:19 pm by 1-Adam-12
The West looks like this:

Paris solidly #1, Charleston solidly #2.

Mansfield currently 3rd, but they had an unexpected loss to Waldron, and both Lincoln and Elkins have taken sets from them lately. They still have to go to both Paris and Charleston. (If it came down to them and Waldron, Mansfield would have the tiebreaker advantage on points, as each won their match in 3.)

Waldron right now 4th, but they fell to Booneville on Thursday, and the LadyCats would have a tiebreaker should it come to that.  They too have to play Paris and Charleston before the end of the season.

Booneville currently is 5th. They are done with Charleston and get Paris at home Thursday.  Their match with Mansfield on the final regular-season date could determine the final placings at 3-4-5. 

If all goes the way it should go, Booneville would either have to win in 3 against Mansfield or get a 4-set win with more points than Mansfield did when they beat Booneville earlier in the season.

One thing is for sure.  With the way the 3A tournament is set up this season, two pretty talented teams from this conference won't get a state tournament bid.

RTF

Paris falls to Shiloh in a non-conference match 3-1

1-Adam-12

Paris won their tournament on Saturday, and I think they only lost one game in the whole shebang, to Ashdown in pool play. 

RTF

Yah Paris won their Tourney going 6-0-1 in it.

RTF

3A West Standings with one game remaining

1.Paris  13-0
2.Chuck 11-2
3.Mansfield 8-5
4.Waldron  8-5
5. Booneville 7-6
6. Elkins 4-9
7.Lincoln 1-12
8. West Ford 0-13 

Mansfield vs. Booneville Thursday will decide 3-5 seeding. everyone else is set.

If Mansfield wins they are the 3rd, If Booneville wins they are third assuming Waldron losses to Paris Thursday also.

RTF

3A North looks like they are set for District tourney

1. Atkins  12-0
2. Perryville 10-2
3. Valley Springs 6-6
4. Green Forest  6-6
5. Clinton 4-8
6. Bergman 4-8
7. Marshall 0-12

RTF

3A East Also set For District

1. Hoxie 16-0
2. Walnut Ridge 13-3
3. Newport 12-4
4. Piggot 11-5
5. Cave City 7-9
6. Trumann 5-11
7. Palestine-Wheatley 5-11
8. Harrisburg 4-13
9. cedar Ridge 0-16

RTF

3A South

1. Fountain Lake  8-0     
2. Ashdown  5-2
3. Episcopal 5-4
4. Jessieville 4-5
5. Bap Prep 4-6
6 Harmony Grove  3-6
7. Lisa Acad  0-6

A lot of disparity here for some reason. Looks like Fountain lake has the 1 seed locked. AShdown vs. Episcopal Thursday will decide 2 and 3 seed. Bap Prep vs. Lisa could decide the 4 seed.

RTF

3A Central could get intersting

1 HA  11-0
2 CAC 10-1
3 Mayflower 7-4
4 Riverview 6-5
5 Rose Bud 4-8
6 Jacksonville lighthouse 1-10
7 Central  0-11

HA and CAC play Thursday and CAC only conference loss is HA in early September. Riverview vs Mayflower plays Thursday for probably 3-4.

1-Adam-12

Booneville has to sweep Mansfield, or win in 4 and have a +15 or better points differential, to get the 3 seed.  If they win any other way they will be the 4 because they own the tiebreak against Waldron, of course assuming Paris beats Waldron.

Booneville and Mena had a heck of a nonconference match here on Monday which Mena won in 5.

hogdiggity

Quote from: RTF on October 10, 2018, 03:49:11 pm
3A South

1. Fountain Lake  8-0     
2. Ashdown  5-2
3. Episcopal 5-4
4. Jessieville 4-5
5. Bap Prep 4-6
6 Harmony Grove  3-6
7. Lisa Acad  0-6

A lot of disparity here for some reason. Looks like Fountain lake has the 1 seed locked. AShdown vs. Episcopal Thursday will decide 2 and 3 seed. Bap Prep vs. Lisa could decide the 4 seed.

Your records are wrong, Ashdown has not lost but once (in district), they split the season with FL so FL actually has a loss. 

RTF

Thank you Adam for the info!

Hog I was not sure on that conference. I just posted what Maxpreps had. Someone has not updated that conference very well lol. Thank you for the info.

hogdiggity

Quote from: RTF on October 11, 2018, 01:14:11 pm
Thank you Adam for the info!

Hog I was not sure on that conference. I just posted what Maxpreps had. Someone has not updated that conference very well lol. Thank you for the info.

Yeah I find Maxpreps to be wrong a lot.  Wish it was kept up a little better.

1-Adam-12

In a thrilling match Booneville beats Mansfield in 5, and as expected Paris beat Waldron.

So the seeds for the 3A West are:

1. Paris
2. Charleston
3. Mansfield
4. Booneville
5. Waldron
6. Elkins
7. Lincoln
8. West Fork

RTF

October 12, 2018, 01:28:20 pm #23 Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:41:43 pm by RTF
3A West District At Waldron

Oct: 15th

Lincoln vs Elkins  4:00
Waldron vs West Fork 5:30
Booneville vs Wal/Wes Winner  8:30
Mansfield vs Elk/Linc  Winner 7:00

interested

I believe you will find 3A South played a single round robin. Fountain Lake won in the conference game and Ashdown won the non-conference game.

RTF

Waldron over West Fork 3-0
Elkins over Lincoln. 3-2

RTF

Mansfield over Elkins 3-1

RTF

Booneville over Waldron 3-0

Paris vs Booneville
Charleston vs Mansfield.

Tomorrow

RTF

Paris 3-0 over Booneville

RTF

Charleston 3-1 over Mansfield

Mansfield vs Booneville for a state bid

Paris vs Charleston. District Championship

hogdiggity

Ashdown and Ft Lake play for the conference tournament championship tonight at 7 in Little Rock at Episcopal HS.

hsindian

Hoxie and walnut ridge play tomorrow night in their district finals.

1-Adam-12

Mansfield had that match with Charleston completely under control, winning the first set and up 24-18 in the second.  Then they let it get away and Charleston rode the volleyball momentum from there.

Paris looked extremely impressive.  I don't see any 3A team beating them.

hogdiggity

The south seeds are:

1. Ashdown
2. Ft Lake
3. Episcopal
4. Baptist Prep

RTF

Central Seeds

1. Harding Ac
2. CAC
3. Mayflower

RTF

West seeds

1. Paris
2. Charleston
3. Mansfield

1-Adam-12

Not gonna be easy as a Booneville fan, going to the state tournament only as a spectator, after making it 9 years in a row.  Just couldn't get over that last hump.

Our match with Mansfield was a carbon copy of Mansfield vs. Charleston on Tuesday, but the roles were reversed.

We lose a tremendous middle and setter who shattered all kinds of records, plus two other fine hitters and several role players.  Our 2019 bunch will be young and smaller, but very scrappy and I think solid defensively.

The LadyCats will be back.  Just not this season.

RTF

3A North seeding

1. Atkins
2. Perryville
3. Clinton

MICHAELSPAPPY

Last night we got to watch Lavaca win the district title over Hackett. Two pretty good teams. Hackett might have won it if they had been a little more serious about it. Lavaca kept their focus and pulled it out. Exciting match. Both teams could make some noise at State.

RTF

October 19, 2018, 01:05:11 pm #39 Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 01:21:03 pm by RTF
Lavaca and Hackett are in 2A. But yes, They will make a lot of noise. I think one of them has a good of chance as anybody to win it.  Pappy! Lamar need a volleyball team! get it going!

RTF

Some good match-ups in the first round of State.

1.HA vs. 3.Piggott - I can see an upset here. HA has a good volleyball squad but Piggott can play with the best of them.

Walnut Ridge vs Perryville - This could go to 5 sets.

Charleston vs. CAC - CAC went toe to toe with HA in the finals. This one could get interesting also.

1. Ashdown vs 3.Mansfield - I think Mansfield can win this but Ashdown is very good. I think Piggott has a better shot at the "upset" bid but would not surpirse me if Mansfield won this to.

1-Adam-12

Ashdown is the only 3A school to take even a game from Paris this season. Has a very good hitter.

Mansfield is very good defensively.  Libero dug up nearly everything we threw at her Thursday.

Could easily see this one going 5.

1-Adam-12

October 20, 2018, 07:56:00 pm #42 Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:04:31 pm by 1-Adam-12
I got to thinking that alone among the tournaments from 5A down, 3A is the only one that doesn't take all the 4 seeds. 

Further, they rotate among the conferences which lucky 4 seed makes it to the tournament.  In some years it does happen to be the strongest.  This year, and no disrespect to Baptist Prep, it is not.

I have what I think is a workable solution.

Take three of the 3 seeds (they could go by MaxPreps rankings, or by rotation) and all the 4 seeds and put them into a preliminary round.  The matches would be:

3rd 3 seed vs. 5th 4 seed
4th 3 seed vs. 4th 4 seed
5th 3 seed vs. 3rd 4 seed
1st 4 seed vs. 2nd 4 seed

The winners of those matches would enter the main draw and play 1 seeds in the first round.

It would take only one additional day and since they will be using 2 courts, it would only be 2 matches per court.

And, it would make more money at the gate, selling shirts, concessions, and so on.

Just a thought.

RTF

October 22, 2018, 11:16:41 am #43 Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 11:18:53 am by RTF
Not a bad idea. I would rather have all the 4 seeds in the tourney or none at all ( I prefer all ) than rotating.  I know volleyball for some schools do not have a very big following so I am not sure if it would make a big difference money wise but, none the less, it still would generate more.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas