• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gentry Boys BBall Opening

Started by redbear90, May 18, 2016, 03:53:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

redbear90

What is the scoop on this job so far? Anybody have any info?

beach bum

May 18, 2016, 08:09:30 pm #1 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:20:26 pm by beach bum
Quote from: redbear90 on May 18, 2016, 03:53:31 pm
What is the scoop on this job so far? Anybody have any info?

I did not know their coach left. I know the assistant is young but was an ex-Gentry player in the mid 2000's.... He was a very good player there. I do not know him personally but know he was a very hard nosed & smart player and I bet he is a good coach just from how he conducted himself as player. He had a very quiet, subtle confidence about himself. I wonder if he tries to get the job? You would think he at least deserves a very serious look to take over.

always88

Quote from: beach bum on May 18, 2016, 08:09:30 pm
I did not know their coach left. I know the assistant is young but was an ex-Gentry player in the mid 2000's.... He was a very good player there. I do not know him personally bcoachknow he was a very hard nosed & smart player and I bet he is a good coach just from how he conducted himself as player. He had a very quiet, subtle confidence about himself. I wonder if he tries to get the job? You would think he at least deserves a very serious look to take over.

He was a good player but no where near head coach material. His tenure so far has been under one of the least productive coaches in gentry's history. Gentry is looking at a minimum 2 years to rebuild from the current train wreck! Needing a young hard nosed coach looking to actually build a program, not just talk about it.

pridgehog

Gentry lost nearly every contributor from last years team. It will be a tough job for a while.

bobcats

Quote from: pridgehog on May 19, 2016, 09:56:36 am
Gentry lost nearly every contributor from last years team. It will be a tough job for a while.

How was the jr high team?

always88

If you happen to be hired in Gentry, I would advise you to find the big church in the middle of town and become a member. This way you will ensure your job for as LONG AS YOU WANT, regardless of your job performance! ;D, if this is not your cup of tea, become a "yes man" to the superintendent.

redbear90

Lol I will definitely keep that in mind.

Baller91

The jr. high team had the talent to be better than they were, but weren't in good enough physical condition to play a full game. I hope the new coach believes in conditioning more than the previous one did. There are a least a couple of upcoming sophomores that could help the senior high team out a lot. Kilgore and Waddell.

basketballjones

I see a lot of bashing of the previous coach but if the jr high wasn't in good physical condition, how is that not the jr high head coach's fault?

always88

It's still the Sr high coach's program and his responsibility to give direction to the Jr high coach.

Baller91

The senior high coach liked to take over for the junior high coach, and the junior high coach wouldn't say anything. There were times in junior high games when the senior high coach would call different plays than the junior high coach, call timeouts, and substitute players without the junior high coach being aware. I don't know if the junior high coach was afraid to go against his boss or what, but there was a lot of dysfunction in that relationship. I'm hoping a new mentor will help the Jr high coach because I think he has potential.  Also, I'm not trying to bash our former HS coach, I'm just stating facts.

basketballjones

Any idea who has applied, who is the front runner?

beach bum

Quote from: Baller91 on May 22, 2016, 12:47:55 pm
The senior high coach liked to take over for the junior high coach, and the junior high coach wouldn't say anything. There were times in junior high games when the senior high coach would call different plays than the junior high coach, call timeouts, and substitute players without the junior high coach being aware. I don't know if the junior high coach was afraid to go against his boss or what, but there was a lot of dysfunction in that relationship. I'm hoping a new mentor will help the Jr high coach because I think he has potential.  Also, I'm not trying to bash our former HS coach, I'm just stating facts.

That is what we call a micromanager and no one wants to deal with one of those..... in any facet of life.

basketballjones

From talking with several people it sounds like this is not a real sought after job due to talent and administration. Will the JR High coach slide in with no big names?

Baller91

I've heard the jr high coach doesn't want it. That's just through the grapevine though, so I'm not sure if it is accurate information.

basketballjones

If a hometown boy and current employee doesn't want the job it makes you wonder...

Baller91

He's only been a coach for two years. That may have something to do with it.

beach bum

Quote from: Baller91 on May 26, 2016, 12:33:26 pm
He's only been a coach for two years. That may have something to do with it.

That is enough time to become a basketball head coach.... They are not dealing with the sheer numbers a football coach has to manage. You can be fresh out of college and sometimes land a 1A or 2A job at 23 years old. That happens. He is five years older than that.

basketballjones

Quote from: basketballjones on May 25, 2016, 04:25:09 pm
If a hometown boy and current employee doesn't want the job it makes you wonder...
Definitely did not mean to knock the JR High coach. I was stating that it makes you wonder if the program is that bad and nobody wants it.

Baller91

The saddest part of this whole Gentry mess is what it is doing to the kids who just want to play ball. Hopefully, they can find someone up for a big challenge (with all the ridiculous political drama of the "grown ups"), and these boys can get someone who cares more about them than personal agendas.

always88

Gentry is a prime example of what happens when everyone sits back, says nothing, expects nothing, and demands nothing other than to be happy when their own children are out of the mess and it's no longer their problem. "Let the next group of kids and parents fix the problem" has been the go to motto for to many years.

basketballjones

Well maybe it's a good thing they haven't interviewed quickly and will find the right person. This should be a good job

pridgehog

Imagine if Jim Stafford would have stayed and been there all these years.

Grand Prairie

I'm monitoring this thread. ::)

Been a crazy week around here.

Baller91

Quote from: pridgehog on May 27, 2016, 08:10:14 am
Imagine if Jim Stafford would have stayed and been there all these years.

That would have been amazing!

bobcats

Quote from: Baller91 on May 27, 2016, 09:20:42 am
That would have been amazing!

It looks like other schools need to study Huntsville to see how to attract and keep good coaches.  Both Berry and Stafford are legends in Arkansas coaching circles.

basketballjones

Surely they will have someone picked by the end of the week. Most teams start team camps next week I do believe

always88

Meeting tomorrow night to decide who gets an interview.

Grand Prairie

Any insight here?

I've heard Stuttgart's coach might have interviewed or plans to interview but it might just be a rumor.

TIA

basketballjones

So tonight they hired or just picked the candidates?

always88

Only picking candidates to interview from what is being said and per the standard hiring practice set in place here. The hire should come quickly after last interview in order to get new coach in here in time for camps.

basketballjones

Any ideas on who they are going to interview?

always88

The unofficial word is that Brent Hester will fill the vacancy as Gentry Boy's head coach.

Brian G

Quote from: always88 on June 05, 2016, 11:35:51 am
The unofficial word is that Brent Hester will fill the vacancy as Gentry Boy's head coach.
Brett

brock

Never heard of him. Anyone know much about him?

Brian G

Quote from: brock on June 05, 2016, 04:54:13 pm
Never heard of him. Anyone know much about him?
Was the HC at Shiloh the last few years but last year left there and was a vol girls asst at Fayetteville.  Good guy!

I have not heard he was getting that job but was not surprised to hear it.

Brian G

Hester officially has the job.

Moonshiner

Is he one of the twins that played at Green Forest several years ago?

Ole Legend

Quote from: Moonshiner on June 08, 2016, 04:20:53 pm
Is he one of the twins that played at Green Forest several years ago?

Yes. He also coached at Shiloh a few years back.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas