• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas baptist

Started by HorseFeathers, April 17, 2014, 08:48:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

boys head coaching job has been posted as open on aaa site. Any word on where their coach went or who's going to replace him?

eagle1

Brian Ross named new boys coach and Ann Ferguson is the new girls coach.

NWA Hawg

Eagle20

Ross graduated from Baptist.  He coached with Miller and Hogue 1 year and then moved to NWA where he has been an assistant at Rogers and Bentonville.  Don't know about her.

HorseFeathers

didn't even know the girls position was open

Brian G

I know Ross well.  He's a great guy and mentored under Marty Barnes.  He stayed at Rogers one year with Herrin after Barnes retired.  Then went to Bentonville for one year.

AB will happy.

Brian G

North Face

What happened to Hogue?

neds

Eagle20

He is at Benton Harmony Grove Ned's, in your neck of the woods.

Cabotred

Are the two brothers that are 6'10" and taller transferring? Heard they were not happy with coaching changes.....

Eagle20

Hope they are staying.  Heard they visited a couple of schools.

SouthpawSensation

Quote from: B.G. on May 08, 2014, 08:14:17 pm
http://www.arkansasbaptistschoolsystem.com/featured/new-mens-basketball/
I had to snicker at the part where it said he was the top assistant at Bentonville last season ... he was a ninth-grade coach!
Wrong on his account or AB's?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Eagle20 on June 16, 2014, 10:46:24 pm

Gotta Love when your players make their official visits to other high schools....Oh wait a second. Are they really shopping themselves around?

neds

Quote from: Eagle20 on June 16, 2014, 07:48:50 pm
He is at Benton Harmony Grove Ned's, in your neck of the woods.

Wow , where did that coach go? He was a young guy and had built up a program there.

HorseFeathers

PASS

Quote from: HF on June 16, 2014, 11:44:15 pm

Gotta Love when your players make their official visits to other high schools....Oh wait a second. Are they really shopping themselves around?
You should be ashamed of yourself for even kidding about these kids being "shopped around." The Vanover's are some of the finest people I know. If you were looking at moving your kids to another school, wouldn't you go visit that school? Of course you would, so quit making such mean spirited comments. These are teenagers you are attacking.
As for the Vanover's, last I heard they are staying at Baptist.

Brian G

Well, you might not like the word choice but nice people or not he's not incorrect in his statement.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PASS on June 17, 2014, 09:05:53 pm

You should be ashamed of yourself for even kidding about these kids being "shopped around." The Vanover's are some of the finest people I know. If you were looking at moving your kids to another school, wouldn't you go visit that school? Of course you would, so quit making such mean spirited comments. These are teenagers you are attacking.

Wasn't attacking anybody...was making an observation. New Coach, so they go visiting other coaches to see what kind of opportunity they can get, can't blame them...If anybody should be ashamed it should be the parents for considering a transfer solely based on athletic purposes, which is what it appeared to be..

PASS

HF, "appears" that that's what they did....I know the people you are talking about and know the reasons they were looking. I don't blame them at all for looking around. They were gathering info to try to make the best decision for their children. It seems funny to me that if they were "shopping" their kids, that they would end up staying at AB.

Moonshiner

So you're saying that the reason they looked at other schools had nothing to do with the former coach leaving?

Basketballfan13

Quote from: PASS on June 17, 2014, 10:36:10 pm
HF, "appears" that that's what they did....I know the people you are talking about and know the reasons they were looking. I don't blame them at all for looking around. They were gathering info to try to make the best decision for their children. It seems funny to me that if they were "shopping" their kids, that they would end up staying at AB.
I'm confused...so you agree that is what they did...but you're upset that people are talking about it???

PASS

No I do not agree that's what they did. I didn't make myself clear. You said it was what they appeared to be doing. My point was that you have no knowledge of what is actually going on but will state on here that it appears they are doing something. That's very irresponsible to say on your part, but I guess that's what these public forums are for...to throw out baseless accusations about something or someone and there not be any consequences to your words.
All I'm saying, is that was an awful strong accusation to throw out. Think before you speak.

Brian G

Clear it up for us then.  Did they or did they not look at other schools?

Dragon77

BG, I have no idea if the family is considering a move, but I have watched the younger Vanover play ball this Summer. I believe he will be 9th grader this year. It is going to be fun to watch him progress, in the coming years. He has the opportunity to be a very special player.                   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PASS on June 18, 2014, 07:55:04 pm
No I do not agree that's what they did. I didn't make myself clear. You said it was what they appeared to be doing. My point was that you have no knowledge of what is actually going on but will state on here that it appears they are doing something. That's very irresponsible to say on your part, but I guess that's what these public forums are for...to throw out baseless accusations about something or someone and there not be any consequences to your words.
All I'm saying, is that was an awful strong accusation to throw out. Think before you speak.

Not accusing anybody of anything...was simply making an observation and a witty remark, that was taken personally by you. I have no dog in the fight, back in our glory days we considered Arkansas Baptist our rival if that helps you find a reason to think I'm throwing out personal attacks...

So...answer were they shopping them around? Technically I think it's a violation for any coach to be approached by a player/parents and to have any comment about their potential impact or playing time on a program, other than I can't say anything to you about it to you to cause you to transfer to my school....Just saying..

PASS

Quote from: B.G. on June 18, 2014, 09:19:02 pm
Is that really the question you should be asking? I am not the one who came on her throwing out accusations of shopping the kids around. In it's simplest form that statement accuses them of looking at other schools for some sort of monetary gain. Shouldn't your question be "why would you make this accusation?" how about this question, I wonder what's going on over there that is making them look at other schools? How about this question, if I was in their shoes and thinking about moving schools, would I want to gather as much info as possible? Such as visiting schools we were thinking about moving them too.
As a moderator on here BG I think you should be more responsible in your words and questions. A public forum like this where no one knows who is saying these things, there is no accountability. So I get that people say things with no facts to back them up. But you are held to a higher standard in my eyes, because you are in charge. Shame on you for perpetuating false accusations. I will no longer be visiting this sight. Best wishes to all of you.

Brian G

You're another caught up in the semantics of a word choice.

You are being given an opp here to clear it up.

Cabotred

Quote from: HF on June 17, 2014, 10:08:21 pm
Quote from: PASS on June 17, 2014, 09:05:53 pm

Wasn't attacking anybody...was making an observation. New Coach, so they go visiting other coaches to see what kind of opportunity they can get, can't blame them...If anybody should be ashamed it should be the parents for considering a transfer solely based on athletic purposes, which is what it appeared to be..

Many higher IQ students transfer or go to schools that fit them better academically. Why shouldn't someone that is gifted athletically not do same thing?  I don't blame parents for exploring their options. I wish them the best in what ever decision they make......

Cabotred

Yes, they visited other schools. 

Moonshiner

There's nothing wrong with that at all.  Each parent has to do what they feel is in their best interest.  But....it is what it is.  They shopped around.  I've been pretty outspoken on other forums against recruiting.  Been slapped silly for calling people out on it.  But this doesn't appear to be recruiting by a coach as much as it's a family exploring other opportunities.  Getting mad at someone for calling it what it was doesn't change the facts.
Baptist has had a great program and with or without these young men I'm sure that won't change. 

Basketballfan13

Quote from: PASS on June 19, 2014, 06:26:37 am
Is that really the question you should be asking? I am not the one who came on her throwing out accusations of shopping the kids around. In it's simplest form that statement accuses them of looking at other schools for some sort of monetary gain. Shouldn't your question be "why would you make this accusation?" how about this question, I wonder what's going on over there that is making them look at other schools? How about this question, if I was in their shoes and thinking about moving schools, would I want to gather as much info as possible? Such as visiting schools we were thinking about moving them too.
As a moderator on here BG I think you should be more responsible in your words and questions. A public forum like this where no one knows who is saying these things, there is no accountability. So I get that people say things with no facts to back them up. But you are held to a higher standard in my eyes, because you are in charge. Shame on you for perpetuating false accusations. I will no longer be visiting this sight. Best wishes to all of you.
BG stated that they were shopping around...which according to you they apparently are. It doesn't matter what the reason is for, every family has their own reason. It's nothing to get upset about. You make it sound like he's attacking the family and player! I bet you're one of those people who get WAY to over dramatic about something small and tries to turn it into WWIII.

HorseFeathers

Cabotred it's because there are rules against shopping around or checking around to see what your talents can get you. Starting role playing time whatever your cost may be. If any coach says sure move to my school and i'll make sure you get all the playing time you want. . . Then he has openly tried to get the kid to come to his school and is recruiting him. . . . Why am i one of the few that sees what is wrong with this?

Cabotred

June 20, 2014, 04:19:19 pm #33 Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:57:11 pm by Cabotred
Quote from: HF on June 19, 2014, 01:05:14 pm
Cabotred it's because there are rules against shopping around or checking around to see what your talents can get you. Starting role playing time whatever your cost may be. If any coach says sure move to my school and i'll make sure you get all the playing time you want. . . Then he has openly tried to get the kid to come to his school and is recruiting him. . . . Why am i one of the few that sees what is wrong with this?

If agreements, promises, favors are made to get a player to transfer it is wrong and shouldn't be done.  I will say again, there is noting wrong in prospects visiting schools that they are considering making a legit transfer to.

Was there any wrong doing concerning the Vanover's, none that I have heard.  So no harm done......

Moonshiner

It is what it is.  Someone might not like the phrase "shopping them around" but if you're exploring your options I don't know how you can say it was something else.
Now they may have been shopping them around academically, or maybe they need a better drama program, or they want to be at an Ag school.  That part we don't know. 
But they looked "shopped" at other schools.

Eagle20

Shopping them around implies that they are looking for something in return.  There is a difference in "looking" at schools and "shopping them around."

HorseFeathers

Starting role without earning it could be the payment. .  . . Or promise of hooking them up with a college coach or something.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Eagle20 on June 20, 2014, 05:18:50 pm
Shopping them around implies that they are looking for something in return.  There is a difference in "looking" at schools and "shopping them around."

Aren't they looking for something in return? If not why aren't they just staying where they are

Dragon77

Hey Eb ? Yeah Snuffy. I heared them Vanovers are thinkin bout moving their kids to anuther school. Heh Eb? You know, they shoppin em around. Oh, shoppin em round. They aint doin no such a thing ? Oh yeah,I heared they got a big ole sack o cash, dickerin back and ferth, with them there baskeetball coaches, tyrin to get em some hi falutin priviliges and such. Well tarnations,what we waitin fer! Lets hitch up ole Bessy, and set them folks straight.     

neds

Back to the original topic of AR Baptist . . . they are way down this year. I watched them play last night with their new coach , etc. Got doubled up by ECS 72-35. Sure, they could have been missing someone(s), but gosh they had 12 players and ECS had five and they ran them out of the gym. ECS never pressed or did anything special, Baptist just could not do anything. Truly looked like a 1A or 2A school last night.

Jock

Screenshot this and save until Feb 2015:  Vanover boys will stay at AB, they will win conference title, and make final 4 in 4A state. The ECS game was a fluke, and ECS is not representative of 2A anyway, they could easily compete for 5A state championship.  AB has already placed 2nd at a prestigious camp at Ole Miss, and winning most summer games with or without the big Vanover boys. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I've watched this team, their top 7 are all solid players.

Eagle20

Don't think they will make it to the semis but I expect them to make the state tourney this year with a conference that will be average at best.  Their best years lie with future point guard Issac McBride at the point.  He is an 8th grader and the real deal.  He starts for the Wings Elite team at his age level.  The year after next they have a chance to win it all. 

Eagle20

AB soon to be freshman Connor Vanover leads Wings Elite to the 15U national championship game scoring 19 points in the semi-final.  Finals are today. 

neds

He looked good , nice shooter. As he gets stronger he has great upside. Good luck to him in the finals today, Team Penny is pretty good.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas