• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

VB Vs Alma (Battle of the bone)

Started by jking7, August 16, 2017, 06:34:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jking7

VB and Alma will play in Van Buren Tuesday Aug 29th the Headlines would be how much has VB improved in Werner's Third year as the pointers head coach and if the pointers can limit turnovers unlike last seasons game where they lost 5 fumbles. The other headline is the fact Alma is currently on a 6 game Winning streak in this series. My honest opinion is that this will be a close game that can go either way and will be won in the 4th quarter.

AT

Agreed jking about it being close. Always hard to tell when this is the first game of the season but always fun to speculate.

Coach Werner installing his offense for the first year, first game last year was challenging for the Airedales. It was a much closer game than the final score indicated and a fortunate bounce for the Airedales off a ref might have been the difference.

Alma will have at least some more film to look at this year, while VB will have more experience with their offense.

I'm excited for the Pointers to do well, but never in this game.

My prediction is a close Airedale win, but I honestly just don't know with this being @ VB.

Also Alma replacing a majority of their offense will mean some big eyes for their first varsity start. I bet the Airedales rely heavily on Brayden Johnson. I sense a somewhat low scoring game.

NEASPORTSFAN

Shouldn't it be called the battle for the bone?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PioneerSoftball on August 17, 2017, 06:01:13 pm
Shouldn't it be called the battle for the bone?

You know what, now that you mention it, 'Battle of the Bone' sounds like something COMPLETELY different.  Then again, 'Battle for the Bone' could be seen the same way.

jking7

AT

Huh. I've never really thought about it. I don't remember when the name was coined.

Go Postal

Will the gooch get his annual slapping this year?

AIREDALE25

I personally think this could go either way. I could see Alma losing this game then coming back and beating Springdale and Greenwood.
Either way I think if we can beat Van Buren it will be within 10 points

jeffslilbro

Pr8hd

August 19, 2017, 03:29:48 pm #9 Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:43:00 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: AIREDALE25 on August 19, 2017, 01:04:55 pm
I personally think this could go either way. I could see Alma losing this game then coming back and beating Springdale and Greenwood.
Either way I think if we can beat Van Buren it will be within 10 points

Alma likely wins this one, but I'd say the other side of this little Nostradamus quatrain is someone hitting the medicinal marijuana prematurely. I don't think GW's going to let that one get away by allowing the Dales go run away and hide with the last punch. They are going to make that 13 in a row sink in for a LONG time. 

Odds are more likely that Alma will beat VB and Springdale than lose to VB and beat BOTH Springdale AND GW, IMO.

AIREDALE25

After watching Alma Scrimmage last night against Southside here is what I think.
Alma needs to wake up! The JV team was playing better then are Varsity. I lost count but I'd say Southside won by 3 scores.
Either way we have 6 days until the Battle of the Bone or battle of crawford county I think it's both. Anyways Alma needs to hit the film room this week, and learn to not fumble the ball. As well as the seniors need to be able to step up next Tuesday night and not play like last night.

P.F.G.

Alma ok have a tough start IMO. Breaking in a new o-line along with a new every down qb with noah graduating. VB has a great coaching staff that is rebuilding the program. This being said I think Alma has the coaches in play and have an identity. I wouldn't read too much into the southside scrimmage. They tend to not really showcase everything against them but who knows. This game is a toss up at this point. I hope Alma wins but it wouldn't shock me if VB ended the streak. Just ready for football season to get here!

PrivateLesson

Quote from: Go Postal on August 17, 2017, 08:20:22 pm
Will the gooch get his annual slapping this year?

Is he still banned??   

PrivateLesson

P.F.G.

Game day in Crawford county tonight. Goodluck to everyone and hopefully both teams come out healthy.

The Future

Go Postal

Is this game on Alma School district YouTube channel?

Go Postal

AT

AT

Looks packed as this game always is.

AT

Van Buren won the toss and deferred to the 2nd half. Alma will receive.

AT

I'll drive by drive update. May not get every drive, but I'll try.

AT

Feed is a little choppy. To be expected from this rivalry game and the first game of the year.

2017 season kicks off. Alexander takes it to the Alma 31 for the Airedales.

Alma ball.

Bumble and almost a fumble on the snap. Loss on the carry for Alma on 1st down. Quick screen pass to Brayden Johnson. He gets the yardage back. 3rd and long, though. VB jumps offsides and makes it a 3rd and short instead for Alma. Jensen keeps it for QB power on first down and gets plenty.

New set of downs for the Airedales at the Alma 45. PA pass is just a little overthrown. 2nd and 10. Jensen tries a QB draw. VB sniffed it out pretty well and he didn't gain much. 3rd and long again. Not much on the little flare pass. Alma will punt on 4th and 5. Good punt by Brayden Johnson. He pins VB at the 10 yard line.

Alma - 0
VB - 0

1st Quarter

AT

VB starts off with a solid 5 yard run on 1st down right up the gut. 2nd handoff is not effect. Alma meets him in the backfield for a 1 yard loss. 3rd and 6.

Feed went kaput.

AT

Ok we're back.

VB has the ball at the Alma 15. No score. 32 yard field goal attempt for the Pointers. It's no good. Very short.

Alma - 0
VB - 0

2:16 1Q

AT

Alma fumbles the first snap of their possession. VB ball at the Alma 19 again.

Alma - 0
VB - 0

AT

Solid 6 yard run for VB on 1st down. 2nd and 4. 1 yard run. 3rd and close to 2. VB bounces the run outside and gets the 1st down almost scores. 1st and Goal from the Alma 2.

VB punches it in from the 2. XP is good

VB - 7
Alma - 0

:42 1Q

beach bum

Thanks for the updates.... You're the only one giving updates out of the handful of games going on tonight that I have seen so far.

AT

Tyler Alexander returns the kickoff to the Alma 31.

Alma ball. QB run on 1st. Holding called on Alma. 1st and extra long now. Jensen scrambles and keeps it to get the yardage back plus 5. 2nd and 5.

That's the end of the 1st Quarter

Alma - 0
VB - 7

2Q

Deuceswild

AT

Alma had a good gain on a shovel pass, but a pre snap motion penalty brings it back again. Ok, it took awhile but they are finally marking it off. Alma was apparently offsides. 2nd and long. Alma takes a timeout after all of that.

Alma back on the field. Jensen rumbles and breaks some tackles for a first down. Alma ball on their own 43.

Jensen carries 4 Pointers for 9 yards. Alma is in VB territory. First time I've seen it. But the feed was out for a bit. Anyways, on 2nd and 1 Jensen throws a pass down the field and VB defender hits the receiver hard to make him drop the ball. 3rd and 1. Jensen gets another 1st down with a carry.

First down for the Airedales on the VB 43. Alma with a solid 1st down run. 2nd and 6. Felix Wright catches a screen pass and gets a small gain. 3rd and 3. Jensen gets nothing this time. Actually loses 2 yards. 4th and 5 from the VB 42. Alma is going for it it looks like. BEAUTIFUL slip screen executed perfectly for Alma. Alma gets the 1st and gets all the way to the VB 22.

1st and 10 for Alma. Alma has to take its 2nd timeout of the 1st half. Jensen throws it up to Brayden who goes up and gets it at the VB 7 yard line.

1st and Goal. Jensen gets some yardage on the carry to the VB 4. 2nd and Goal. Jensen throws a fade to Brayden who made it look easy with 1 on 1 coverage for a touchdown. PAT Good.

Alma - 7
VB - 7

7:48 2Q

Go Postal

I don't see BillyJack out on the sidelines.  Does he not do the media anymore?

AT

VB fumbles the kickoff, but he picks it up quickly. He returns it to the VB 29.

1st and 10 for the Pointers. VB QB tries to bounce it outside, Alma strings it out and causes VB to lose yardage. Green for VB gets some of that yardage back plus a little. 3rd and 7 for the Pointers. VB WR makes a great catch for a first down. VB ball on their own 40.

Alma tackles Green in the backfield. 2nd and long. QB gets 3 yards back. 3rd and long for the Pointers. VB takes their first timeout of the half. VB throws it out in the flats, but a great open field tackle by Zach Oliver of Alma makes it 4th down. VB going to punt this away.

Wow! Ball bounces over the punters head and the VB punter recovers and gets off a great kick!

Alma ball around their own 23.

Alma - 7
VB - 7

4:12
2Q

AT

Another weird play, this time for Alma. On 1st down, Jensen almost fumbles but instead gets a big gain to the Alma 45. Jensen hits Brayden over the middle and he gets a huge gain, but there's a flag on the field. Let's see. Refs trying to sort it out. Looks like it is against Alma. It was after the catch, but it negates a big play. It basically just makes it 1st and 16.

Alma receivers drop the ball on 1st and extra long. 2nd and extra long. Jensen gets back to the original line of scrimmage. 3rd and long.

Welp my feed just cut away and it's suddenly halftime! I have no idea what happened.

I know this

Alma - 7
VB - 7

Halftime

beach bum

Sounds like the typical slugfest rivalry game is going on....

AT

Alma committing plenty of penalties and dropping some crucial passes. Have to try and clean it up in the 2nd half.

x14113

Airedales had a chance to convert on 4th Down, but open receiver drops it.

Pointers drain clock to end the half.

Go Postal

That Jensen kid is pretty good.  Penalties are hurting the Airedales.

P.F.G.

AT

VB receives the 2nd half kickoff. 24 minute football game now (at least)

High pooch kick. VB takes it to the VB 38. Avoiding a long return. Pointers with good field position. 1st and 10. Great run by Green on 1st down. Gets all the way to Alma's 47 yard line for a 1st down.

1st and 10 for VB. Speed option gets 2 yard. 2nd and 8. Another weird play. QB was trying to throw but dropped it and RB picked it up for a 3rd yard gain. 3rd and 5. Green gets about a yard. 4th and 4. VB is in no man's land, but they are going to go ahead and punt from the Alma 41. They punt it for a touchback.

Alma ball on their own 20.

Alma - 7
VB - 7

3Q

AT

Jensen scrambles on the PA for 3 yards. 2nd and 7 for Alma. Alma drops a hand off and barely recovers. 3rd and pretty dang long. Jensen can't find anyone and throws an incomplete pass. Alma will have to punt. Alma's Brayden Johnson gets a pretty good punt off, but still good field position for VB.

VB all at their own 40.

7:20 3Q

Alma - 7
VB - 7

AT

VB with nothing on the 1st down carry. The QB for VB with a great keep on the read option. He takes it all the way to the Alma 36. Great acceleration by him too. His name is Morrow.

1st and 10 in Alma territory. Green bounces it outside to the Alma 20 for another great run and 1st down.

Another 1st and 10, this time in the redzone for the Pointers. Bad snap goes between the QB's legs. Alma catches a break as VB just has to fall on it for a loss of 11 yards. 2nd and extra long. Morrow keeps it again on the read option and gets pretty close back to the line of scrimmage. 3rd and 13. Green is just tripped up to save a 1st down carry and maybe even a touchdown. 4th and about 3. Pointers are going for it. Alma stops Green in the backfield! Great stop by Tyler Alexander.

Alma ball on their own 17.

Alma - 7
VB - 7

Late 3Q

AT

Josh Davis, a sophomore, with a great run to the Alma 31 for a first down. Davis with another run for only a yard this time. 2nd and 9. Davis finds the hole again and gets to the Alma 44 for another 1st down.

JENSEN with an AMAZING run down to the VB 5 yard line for a 1st and Goal. May turn out to be the play of the game! Hurt VB player stalls play for a bit. Hope he's okay.

1st and goal for Alma. Jensen pushes everybody for 1 yard. 2nd and Goal from the VB 4. Jensen hits Brayden Johnson on the quick slant for another touchdown!! Can't believe they are leaving Johnson 1 on 1 coverage. I'll take that all day.

Alma - 14
VB - 7

2:53 3Q

AT

I hope to get you guys a highlight of that Jensen run. Amazing tenacity.

AT

Pooch kick for Alma. VB gets it to their own 35.

1st down run goes nowhere for VB. 2nd and long 9. Green is tripped up just barely. That was close for the Airedales. 3rd and 8 for VB. VB sets up an amazing slip screen to Green who gets all the way down to the Alma 11. He was barely stopped. Austin Fraley with the touchdown saving tackle.

1st and 10 for VB at the Alma 11. VB takes a timeout. Back is tackled in the backfield for a loss for VB. 2nd and long now. Morrow keeps it for VB. He gets 5 yards. 3rd and 8 from the Alma 9.

End of 3rd Quarter

Alma - 14
VB - 7

AT

Alma intercepts the ball in the endzone on the first play of the 4th quarter! Austin Fraley with the interception! He saves the touchdown and then gets a big pick!

Alma ball on their own 20.

Alma - 14
VB - 7

early 4Q

AT

Jensen keeps it and falls forward for about 2 yards. 2nd and 8 for the Airedales at their own 22.

Jensen acts like he's going to hand it off and pulls it back and throws it up to Grayson Bailey...who makes a wonderful over the top catch! A sophomore! All the way to the VB44.

1st down, Bailey gets 4 yards to the VB 40. 2nd and 6. Jensen's arm was hit as he threw it so it bounces short for an incomplete pass. 3rd and 6.

Feed is taking a long pause here...not the best of timing.

Looks like the feed is trying to correct itself.

AT

I'm told Alma made a TD catch from Jensen to Bailey and the XP was good.

Alma - 21
VB - 7

9:38 4Q

AT

All updates credited to Arklahoma Preps.

VB is in the Alma redzone with 6:56 to go in the 4th Q

Alma - 21
VB - 7

AT

Arklahoma Preps doesn't like VB's redzone playcalling. Can't say I disagree with him. Been very conservative.

Looks like Alma forces a turnover on downs in the redzone!

Alma ball deep in their own territory with a two touchdown lead and less than 6 minutes left in the 4th.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas