• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gravette vs. Warren

Started by Romeo, November 11, 2011, 10:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo

Its the battle between the orange and black. Gravette brings in a veteran squad with a good running back and good throwing quarterback. They also have a stout defense with some solid linebackers. The Junior High Lumberjacks have just 2 seniors on both sides of the ball but continue to win. Thoughts on the game?

LJ06

I've been waiting for this match up for years! Cmon down GLion!

Crowd was sparse this week, but with deer season starting in the morning, it's expected.

eight4A

LJ06

Quote from: eight4A on November 11, 2011, 11:15:49 pm
Is this game at Warren?

Yes it's at Warren. 5 hour 16 minute trip for Gravette

AirWarren

Orange and black out time!! This is going to be great! Lumberjacks pack the house.

A senior laden gravette team vs a underclassmen laden Warren team with lots of talent.

Warren is led by 10th grade QB Drake Jones who has passed for 250+ in the past several games with minimal interceptions. Sophomores Von Eric Gonder and chris Oliver have really come into their own at WR. Great hands from Gonder and speed from Oliver has been tough for teams to contain. Freshman darveon brown has become a deep threat possessing good hands and speed. And last but not least jalen Cobb. Natural route runner and 4.5 speed make him a deep threat and possession threat.

The two headed monster of freshman kilay cox and sophomore Otis miller at RB had been deadly. Following the steps of his older brother savion Gilbert(2000+ yard rusher last year), cox has been phenomenal. A 100+ yard and 3 td performance tonight was fun to watch. Otis reads the defense and quick shift gears and field in an instant.

Line play has improved but has to get better. We have the meat on the line finally and it has allowed drake and his crew to get it done.

The defense is led by freshman Aaron church(Bryan church's little brother), junior Tyler Barnett, freshman DJ mcarthey, senior kurtis Martin, senior deundre Thomas, and sophomore Michael Tyler. Good size interior play, speed at the edges, and corners that have surprisingly been lock down. Kurtis Martin is a head hunter at safety and Deshawn McRae has been a standout corner this year along with kaleel Thomas and his sophomore classmate jemarrio Thomas. Not too many will out run this team and get to the edge.

Let's go lumberjacks!!!

OldScrap

Orange & Black, against Orange & Black!  :)

I suppose Orange & Black will come out the winner, just a matter of which Orange & Black!

No offence against a Orange & Black football team, but I believe that the Orange & Black Warren Lumberjacks will squeak by with a win.

GLion Alum

The loyal Gravette posters are on the road back from Pocahontas, leaving me alone to fend off the hoardes from Warren.  Thinking more about it, that makes for a fairly even match.  ;D

I, too, have been looking forward to this match for a long time, and it was almost worth getting sent on the road, thanks to three measly points, to play no. 2 seeds.  From what I heard on the radio tonight, I'm really pumped.  It sounded as if Gravette played great.  I'll be interested in seeing the game stats.  If the Lions can play that well at Warren, we should have a great game. 

We've been debating 1-4A vs. 8-4A since I started posting on Fearless Friday about five years ago.  Well, the "Conference USA" is even with the self-proclaimed "SEC" 1-1, heading into next week's showdown...and I'm ready to have the last laugh! ;D 

Wendell Robinson

Gravette is going to have to play tough disciplined football to come out of this thing with a win. And it's hard to believe that this matchup hasn't taken place at least once in recent years. This should be a tough, great game. I'm really looking forward to this one.

zebrafan

Sounds like Cox could be a dandy! Saw where he ran for 220 and three TDs on 16 carries? Nice! Only a Freshman too? WOW

LmbrJkKV10

Hey AW! How'd you like Drake under center for 4th and inches? Be honest were you surprised?

B&GT

Wendell Robinson

I've been trying to figure that out myself.

LJ06

One interesting stat I've found. Gravette beat Pokey 30-8. Valley View also beat Pokey 28-8 ;D

GLion Alum

Quote from: LJ06 on November 12, 2011, 09:15:43 am
One interesting stat I've found. Gravette beat Pokey 30-8. Valley View also beat Pokey 28-8 ;D

I see that calpreps has Gravette ranked no. 7 and Warren ranked no. 18 after last night's games.  Sounds about right!  ;D

LJ06

That's what happens when computers rank teams. Gets confused and puts em backwards. Messes everything up just like the BCS ;)

LJ06

Hope yalls QB has some wheels. VV's got abused and used last night. Kid ran for his life entire game

LmbrJkKV10

Quote from: LJ06 on November 12, 2011, 09:38:43 am
That's what happens when computers rank teams. Gets confused and puts em backwards. Messes everything up just like the BCS ;)
Amen!!!!!!!!!!

GLion Alum

Quote from: LJ06 on November 12, 2011, 09:40:42 am
Hope yalls QB has some wheels. VV's got abused and used last night. Kid ran for his life entire game

I'm hoping we will have a better offensive line protecting him.  Hooten's pre-season mag ranked the Gravette offensive line best in the state.  They've played well this season, but every once in a while they've make me wonder if they have decided not to block on a play just for the sport of watching Clayton Alexander scramble.    I didn't drive to Pocahontas for last night's game, but from the radio broadcast it seemed both the offensive line and the defensive line (LDC) played really well.

LJ06

Well we are def up for the challenge. Aaron Church, brother to former Lumberjack great Bryan Church, is just a Freshman this year. That being said he has been a huge part of our success up front this year. VV absolutely could not block him last night

Hootie

The young guns from Warren have proven to be resilient. After VV scored first, I thought we might see a let down. Jacks came out firing and laid it to VV in every aspect. If only Jones wouldn't have missed a couple passes, this game would have gotten out of hand in the first half. Jacks by 14.

PGTIGERS09

Gravette by 3.   Gravette is better than people think.

LJ06

^VV simply could not cover our receivers. Too much speed for them

Wendell Robinson

My guess would be that Gravette has more speed than VV. May not be enough to keep up with Warren, I'm not sure. Yes, Gravette beat Pokey by 22 and VV beat Pokey by 20. Pretty similar scores but it's hard to compare those with the games. Different kids, different styles, different times of the season. A LOT of different variables, and Pocahontas was very fortunate that Gravette didn't score  a few more times. Horrible officiating prevented a couple of scores. Gravette dominated every aspect of the game from start to finish.

OldScrap

Quote from: GLion Alum on November 11, 2011, 11:54:08 pm
The loyal Gravette posters are on the road back from Pocahontas, leaving me alone to fend off the hoardes from Warren.  Thinking more about it, that makes for a fairly even match.  ;D

I, too, have been looking forward to this match for a long time, and it was almost worth getting sent on the road, thanks to three measly points, to play no. 2 seeds.  From what I heard on the radio tonight, I'm really pumped.  It sounded as if Gravette played great.  I'll be interested in seeing the game stats.  If the Lions can play that well at Warren, we should have a great game. 

We've been debating 1-4A vs. 8-4A since I started posting on Fearless Friday about five years ago.  Well, the "Conference USA" is even with the self-proclaimed "SEC" 1-1, heading into next week's showdown...and I'm ready to have the last laugh! ;D

Yes, everyone wants that last laugh, yet everyone does not get it!

As I said above, I think Warren will squeak by with the win. But who knows, it might be the night for  :) Orange & Black from the North East corner to squeak by.

Be a nice long drive drive to Lumberjack country & even nicer return trip if your Orange & Black squeaks by with a win! But them again .............................................!

AirWarren

Lots of intangibles in this game.

Drake has become pinpoint to his WRs compared to the first three games. Chris Oliver has found out how to catch the ball and he has some jets. A legit 4 deep artillery of weapons at WR.

Saw above that kilay finished with 200+ yards last night with three touchdowns. This kid is going to be a stud like his brother.

I was much impressed with our defense after that initial VV drive. Kurtis Martin, Tyler Barnett, and Aaron church punished valley view. Our line play was solid as well. The QB was running for his life.

I was very excited to see drake under center pushing that line for a first down. I was Also impressed with the pistol power draw. Where in the world has that been??? We looked natural running it and the whole team exploded off the ball!

LJ06

November 12, 2011, 11:31:05 am #25 Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:33:47 am by LJ06
Not too often Warren completely dominates on both lines, but last night it was special to witness. That power draw was a beauty and Cox went into straight beast mode last night. No clue what Bo said to him at half, but that kid came out running it like he stole it. I too was very pleased to see the QB sneak last night. Good line push on it. One thing we've got to work on this week are that head scratching bad snaps of ours. Smh

AirWarren

That was the only thing that killed that one drive and prevented a perfect game.

Also costly penalties.

Complete game offensively and defensively. Loved it!

Saint Fan1952

I'm pulling for the Lions in this one.

Gravette seems to have a way to shoot themselves in the paw this year.  I believe if they can eliminate their mistakes that they are probably the 2nd best team in the 4A.  Whether they can do that or not remains to be seen.

AirWarren

Another week of playing the underdog. I like it!

LmbrJkKV10

I thought Gorman(Hermitage transfer) did a great job at center. Its taken all year to get him up to par with blocking schemes of 4A football. Would ya believe Hermitage didn't work alot on drills in practice? His bigger frame shored up the O line alot. Don't know what caused the early snap but one a game isnt too bad as long as we recover it. It kinda equals a holding call.

We at Warren are about to witness something very special! When our recievers make a defense spread the field like last night our RBs will gut them! Cox is maybe one of the most talented backs to suit up for Warren. And what most people dont take in to consideration is he is actually a heckuva receiver. Then Coach Bo puts in Miller to take time off the clock and he almost scores! We might be known for who catches the ball but that might be achangin'!

LJ06

November 12, 2011, 03:43:37 pm #30 Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:45:01 pm by LJ06
Gravette @ Warren
Travel distance:  5 hours 16 minutes

Gravette Lions

Record:  9-2 (5-2) [5-1 Away]
#4 Seed in 1-4A
Ranked #11 in 4A
Best Win:  Week 6 - 1-4A #1 Seed Ozark 20-13
Worst Loss:  Week 8 - @ 1-4A #5 Seed Shiloh Christian 16-14
PPG:  33.3
PAG:  16.9

Warren Lumberjacks

Record:  8-2-1 (6-1) [5-2 @ Home]
#2 Seed in 8-4A
Ranked #9 in 4A
Best Win:  Week 5 - @ 8-4A #3 Seed Star City 27-21
Worst Loss:  Week 1 - 7-3A #4 Seed Fordyce 42-19
PPG:  28.8
PAG:  16.4

Warren is projected to win by 1 point

AirWarren

Gorman did a fantastic job at center. His size and ability will be huge in the playoffs. We average about 6'1 across the line now with sophomore jamaal bell at 6'3 310.

LJ06

Quote from: AW on November 12, 2011, 03:47:21 pm
Gorman did a fantastic job at center. His size and ability will be huge in the playoffs. We average about 6'1 across the line now with sophomore jamaal bell at 6'3 310.

If Bell can get a mean streak going in him, he could be straight up nasty.  He might get pushed to the left tackle position next year due to his size, if he continues to improve.

AirWarren

I agree. I call him Warren's own Michael Oher haha.

Big Fan

I think I might be the "splash of blue" amongst the "sea of orange" at this game.

Romeo

Who's are starting five linemen?

Romeo

Quote from: AW on November 12, 2011, 03:47:21 pm

He's done a great job other than those two bad snaps late in the game last night.

toobad4u993

Many people consider the spread a passing formation. But one of the things that make it so strong is the run. With just a decent line you can run at will, lanes are everywhere. Then comes the PA. Warren will be one of the best teams in the state for the next 3 years.

apache_alum_90

G-Town38

Not looking forward to this trip, but I am looking forward to the game. Should be a great game. I hear about the youth of Warren's team quite a bit. They will be a force to reckon with over the next few years. Now on the contrary, Gravette is loaded with seniors. They will start, probably 11 of them on defense. They are a confusing defense for a lot of teams and they do it with size, strength and speed.
Should be fun to watch.

AirWarren

Quote from: Romeo on November 12, 2011, 04:29:43 pm
Who's are starting five linemen?

Jamaal bell, zack raper, Montana Robbins, lamonte Thomas and Randy gormon. Brent Strickland alternates in as well as micheal tyler and chris ogburn.

AirWarren

Quote from: Big Fan on November 12, 2011, 04:23:59 pm
I think I might be the "splash of blue" amongst the "sea of orange" at this game.

That is acceptable. Just sit on the southark side please haha.

GLion Alum

November 13, 2011, 07:58:21 am #42 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:00:47 am by GLion Alum
Quote from: LJ06 on November 12, 2011, 11:31:05 am
One thing we've got to work on this week are that head scratching bad snaps of ours.

I hate to tell you Warren fans this, but we Gravette fans used that line so much last year that we had to copyright it...and we used that line again this year after the Farmington game.   ;D

Quote from: OldScrap on November 12, 2011, 11:20:47 am
Quote from: GLion Alum on November 11, 2011, 11:54:08 pm

...and I'm ready to have the last laugh! ;D

Yes, everyone wants that last laugh, yet everyone does not get it!

I didn't predict I'd get that last laugh; I just said I'm ready for it...and have been for years now.  ;D  Old Scrap, if you feel up to  it, you ought to put on your Scrapper gear and come to the game at Warren.  You'd fit in perfectly!

Quote from: AW on November 12, 2011, 12:54:37 pm
Another week of playing the underdog. I like it!

That's my line! 

GLion Alum

I didn't attend the Gravette-Pocahontas game but listened to it on the radio.  One of the most encouraging things I heard was how the Lions were able to get their act back together early in the fourth quarter after Pocahontas had cut their lead to 16-8.  Gravette had dominated that game until the Redskins took over on the Gravette 29 on a pass interception with 2:44 left in the third quarter.  Up to that point, the Lions had dominated the game.  Five plays later, Gravette intercepted near their goal line and then proceeded to fumble the ball away on the next play on their one.  Pochahontas scored on the next play and converted for two extra points to cut Gravette's lead to 16-8.  Every Gravette fan watching or listening had to be thinking of the Shiloh and Farmington disasters!

Gravette took the kickoff and raced 43 yards in six plays to the Redskin 17 where they lost the ball on a fumble with 8:49 left in the game.  By that time, not only Gravette fans but others familiar with this season's history were being reminded of what had happened earlier this season.  A Shiloh fan, who like me was following both the Shiloh and Gravette games on the radio, posted on Fearless Friday something to the effect he hoped this time  the Lions would be able to recover from the adversity they were having and how it reminded him of the Gravette-Shiloh game.  And recover they did!  The Lions intercepted a pass on the next play and won going away.

Hopefully that will put that jinx or whatever it was behind them, and the Lions will be able to play four full quarters of great football.  That's what it's going to take Friday night at Warren for the good guys   ;D  in black and orange to win!  LDC! 

GLion Alum

November 13, 2011, 09:40:12 am #44 Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:45:33 am by GLion Alum
Gravette--The tiny little hamlet in Northwest Arkansas whose only claim to athletic fame has been a 1913 baseball team whose team picture was printed on a postcard that made the big time recently when the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette ran it in their "Postcards from the Past."

Warren--The name that most Arkansas football fans associate with high school football, so much so that a picture of its city limits sign with Jalen Cobb standing before it made the cover of the VYPE 2011 high school football preview magazine.

Even my son's and one of my sons-in-law's first comments when I told them who Gravette would be playing this week..."Isn't that where Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, Chris Gragg and Jalen Cobb are from?"  And then they just smiled.

Rodney Dangerfield will have nothing on Gravette before this week is over.    :'(

LJ06

Quote from: GLion Alum on November 13, 2011, 09:40:12 am
Gravette--The tiny little hamlet in Northwest Arkansas whose only claim to athletic fame has been a 1913 baseball team whose team picture was printed on a postcard that made the big time recently when the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette ran it in their "Postcards from the Past."

Warren--The name that most Arkansas football fans associate with high school football, so much so that a picture of its city limits sign with Jalen Cobb standing before it made the cover of the VYPE 2011 high school football preview magazine.

Even my son's and one of my sons-in-law's first comments when I told them who Gravette would be playing this week..."Isn't that where Jarius Wright, Greg Childs, Chris Gragg and Jalen Cobb are from?"  And then they just smiled.

Rodney Dangerfield will have nothing on Gravette before this week is over.    :'(

It's nice to be one of Arkansas' premier football programs ;D

toobad4u993

I know some people that think warrens time is over ::)

LmbrJkKV10

Quote from: toobad4u993 on November 13, 2011, 10:10:54 am
I know some people that think warrens time is over ::)
Really? Imagine that!

Mulerider

Warren will have more speed and athletes playing cupball behind the home bleachers than Gravette has had in grades 9-12 in a decade.  This will be an athletic mismatch but maybe Gravette can pull one out.

I can't see Gravette going into Warren and winning then again I can't see teams from the 1-4A being a threat to beat any quality team this year.

Should be fun to watch.

dukes424

Well got to say after Friday night when them lions roll over you guys by probably two touchdowns your coach might be wishing he would have gotten a few of them famous cupballers to play football.....

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas