• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dubai to build world's largest bridge

Started by SandLizard04, February 19, 2008, 09:59:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SandLizard04

February 19, 2008, 09:59:29 pm Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:05:47 pm by Ramblin' Man™
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/extreme_machines/4249163.html

Holy cow, imagine what this city will look like once this bridge and the Burj Dubai are completed, in addition to the Burj al Arab. Dubai is quickly making it's claim as the world's most beautiful city.

McKnz

Obviously, you've never been to Noel, Missouri. The Christmas City of the Ozarks.

SandLizard04

Quote from: McKnz on February 19, 2008, 11:16:31 pm
Obviously, you've never been to Noel, Missouri. The Christmas City of the Ozarks.
Hahaha. Good old McDonald County, Missouri. I've got family, sort of, in Lanagan.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Holy Crap, the Burj Dubai is gonna be huge.  It doubles the size of the Sears Tower in Chicago, that is incredible.

SandLizard04

Quote from: Ken Griffey Jr. on February 20, 2008, 12:20:19 am
Holy Crap, the Burj Dubai is gonna be huge.  It doubles the size of the Sears Tower in Chicago, that is incredible.
Yeah, it is going to be absolutely amazing to see. It is already the tallest structure on earth and it still has a considerable way to go.

This picture was taken in December:

Rizzo

Marionpats07™

SandLizard04

Here's the Burj al Arab, which is the world's largest (and I think most expensive) hotel.

Definitely on my short list of places to visit soon.

RHS

I think they did a show on the Burj al Arab on Discovery once.

SandLizard04

There are currently five buildings in Dubai over 1,000 feet tall. There are currently 18 buildings under construction that will be over 1,000 feet tall. There are 9 more buildings in the planning stage to be over 1,000 feet tall. (contrast: there are only 11 buildings in the entire U.S. over 1,000 feet [4 in NY, 4 in Chicago, 1 in LA, 1 in Houston, 1 in Atlanta]. The tallest building in Arkansas, the Metropolitan building, is 546 feet).

This place is going to dwarf Chicago, New York, Hong Kong, you name it.

Including these:

AllSmiles

I've always wanted to stay the night at a really expensive hotel. I really want to stay at the Plaza Hotel in NYC, Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's style.

The Reality is back...

Wampus_Cat

Quote from: Stupidity Vampire AKA Ignorance Ingestor on February 20, 2008, 02:37:30 am
Dubai=super rich kids spring break.
It won't be too long before they have to figure out how to make money without oil.

Then the tough stuff begins.

SMC

I'm down with Dubai.

But whenever you go there, be sure to FLY EMIRATES

johnharrison

Quote from: AllSmiles on February 20, 2008, 12:50:45 am
I've always wanted to stay the night at a really expensive hotel. I really want to stay at the Plaza Hotel in NYC, Audrey Hepburn Breakfast at Tiffany's style.

Too late, it is being remodelled into condos.

atownpantherfan05™

February 20, 2008, 04:21:18 pm #15 Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:25:33 pm by atownpanther05
That's pretty sweet i want to go there and that bridge is close to the water but i really want to go to sydeny,australia.

AllSmiles

Quote from: johnharrison on February 20, 2008, 01:54:57 pm
Quote from: AllSmiles on February 20, 2008, 12:50:45 am

Too late, it is being remodelled into condos.

Dang.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas