• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2-4A 2017 Outlook

Started by SUGARTOWN, August 07, 2017, 03:01:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SUGARTOWN

Here's my preseason view of how the 2-4A could play out this year. While I think overall the conference may be down from a statewide standpoint, it still should be a highly competitive conference week in and week out. Spots 1,2 & 3 I think fall in line nicely, but 4,5,6 are tough and should come down to the last week to see who get what seed in the playoffs and who stays home.

1. Stuttgart - Everybody's favorite to win the conference this year, the Birds must replace several starters on the line. How quickly the line develops will be key as to how the Birds season progresses. The skill positions should be loaded, all starting LB's return and the defensive secondary should be solid. Plenty of speed on the field for Stuttgart, but 2 very tough games to start the season (home vs Arkadelphia & @ Warren) that will have to survive before conference play.

2. Southside Batesville - The Southerners are coming off their best season ever including a road win over traditional power Booneville in their first ever playoff game. They must replace their All-Conference QB from last year, but they seemed to have turned the corner. I'm putting them 2nd banking on improvement and enthusiasm coming off of last years big season. Ironically, the biggest game of the year in the 2-4A may be week one when Stuttgart travels to Southside.

3. Heber Springs - Heber's QB returns and they seem to be a very consistent performing team the past several years. Last years surprising number 1 conference seed lost quite a bit of production from 2016 and I expect a slight fall off, but they always seem pull off an upset or two. I can see the Panthers in any spot from 2 to 4.

4. CAC - The Mustangs are switching from the spread to the Wing-T. Wow. This seems like a drastic change and I'm not sure how smooth the transition will go in year one. It appears that to run the Wing-T that O-line play is extremely important and that was their weakness last year. Coach Shoemaker know his personnel better than I so we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. The do have a very good back in Kam Vick (who seems like he's been there forever).

5. Lonoke - I'm thinking some stability in the head coaching ranks in the off season will get the Jackrabbits back on track. They bottomed out last year after Coach Bost resigned mid-season. The Rabbits always have some  talent and speed and if they can get off to a good start this year I look for them to make a run at the 4th or 5th spot in the 2-4A.

6. Helena-West Helena - The Cougars always have one of the biggest lines you'll see in 4A. But inconsistent play usually has them fighting for a playoff seed late in the season. QB play seems to be a hindrance to the offense the last few years as the skill players are as athletic as you'll see in the 2-4A. If Lonoke falters, HWH and Riverview will fight for the 5th seed. With the RV and HWH game being AT HWH, they get the edge.

7. Riverview - The Raiders return a talented QB and WR duo. WR J.T. Smith can be dangerous in the open field and they have a productive RB returnee as well. The Raiders do not have consistent line play however, combine that with not much depth and you get a team that seems to play well for a half or 3 qtrs before fading late in games. With a little improvement however they can maybe make a push for the 5th seed.

8. Baptist Prep - Not enough depth and speed for the Eagles to contend for a playoff spot this year. Although,  some improvement may be in order this season in the 2nd year with their coach and his system. BP will be moving back down to 3A next year and this should help them compete for a spot in the playoffs.

x14113

I wonder how badly Cody Bullard will be missed in Stuttgart...?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: x14113 on August 07, 2017, 03:23:11 pm
I wonder how badly Cody Bullard will be missed in Stuttgart...?

I have no idea. Assistant coaches come and go all the time though...

beach bum

If Southside Batesville really pans out to be the 2 seed then Stuttgart will steam roll league play and the Ricebirds will be the only team doing anything in the postseason.

beach bum

I wish Prairie Grove could play that 2-4A schedule Cuckoobird...... Y'all really got it rough in central/east Arkansas  8)

SUGARTOWN

August 07, 2017, 08:15:44 pm #5 Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:13:42 am by SUGARTOWN
Quote from: beach bum on August 07, 2017, 06:39:14 pm
If Southside Batesville really pans out to be the 2 seed then Stuttgart will steam roll league play and the Ricebirds will be the only team doing anything in the postseason.

Unless they're matched up with the 4-4A, 1-4A or 3-4A. A 2 seed vs the 4 or 5 seed from one of those conferences could pick up a first round win.

SouthernerPride

Southerners have the team to rattle off another 8 win season this year.. Like you said, we must replace our all conference QB. Also must replace the entire LB core as we graduated three starters at the position after last season. The Southerners will be strongest along the offensive line and the defensive secondary. Look for senior Caden Huskey to maybe  be a candidate for all state at safety after leading the state in interceptions the majority of last season. Junior Colby Rich will man the QB spot after backing up  Milligan last year and leading the Southerners on two scoring drives to tie up a win against Heber Springs after Milligan was knocked out of the game with a concussion. He has experience and a very serviceable arm. As I previously said, our LB situation and RB situation also  are most questionable. I don't keep up as much with the Southerners as much as I used to seeing as I am now an alumni, as is my little brother, but I will certainly be posting and trying to stay updated as much as my job allows me. Go Southerners!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas