• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock in the next 3-5 years

Started by UncleRico, January 24, 2016, 02:24:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleRico

The climate in little rock is definitely changing, and is filled with facts and hearsay.

Here we go:
1. Sylvan Hills and Maumelle both are super close to having there own districts.
    - This will help forge the merge of LRSD and PCSSD
2. This will add Robinson and Mills to LRSD (or whatever it'll be called)
     - 2 things
            A. This gives West Little Rock a High School of there own. If you've been paying attention there throwing tons of money at Robinson in facility upgrades! There opening the new middle school in west LR next year that will be the feeder to guess where. Joe T!
            B. Mills is scheduled to break grown on a new building soon. Should have turf/new track as soon as next fall. Size wise there looking to hold 800 kids. This goes against what the LRSD supers vision is. He wants ever school to hold 1200.
3. Southwest High School (or whatever the name will be.
      - LRSD purchased land to build a new huge high school in south west LR. They've already broke grown on it. This will consolidate McClellan and JA Fair.

If anyone has any info to add, or can correct anything.... Share.

AirWarren

The new middle school will be fed from kids that go to the elementary schools of Roberts, Fulbright, and Terry elementary. The Robinson feeder elementary schools, as of right now, are Baker, Chenal, and Robinson elementary. The thing I got from one article I read is that the middle school will have an open enrollment so they will probably take on kids from other elementary schools. The problem is, like anything the LRSD touches, turns into shambles.

Yes, Sylvan Hills will be the next school to gain freedom form the PCSSD. Maumelle will also gain freedom from the PCSSD. If anyone has seen Maumelle's facilities, you will see that they can support themselves and do not need the LRSD or PCSSD to make it. Could the facility upgrades help Joe T robinson split from the PCSSD? Who knows? I honestly think JTR has enough access to families with money and tax money to get away from the PCSSD/LRSD. Personally, I would like to see Maumelle, Sylvan Hills and Joe T get away from the LRSD. Everyone knows in central Arkansas that anything the LRSD touches, it goes to crap.

All this talk about making the LRSD a better place is garbage. When and if Joe T goes into the LRSD, kiss it goodbye to it actually being a decent place to send your kids.

AirWarren

Busman

January 24, 2016, 03:07:40 pm #3 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:09:41 pm by Busman
Any movements that require any changes to PCSSD STILL requires federal court approval.  Jacksonville had two things going for them - a larger population base that was lower income enough it qualified for state construction funds they would not qualify for if they stayed in PCSSD. These do not apply in Sylvan Hills and Maumelle separately. Also, much of the Maumelle and Sylvan Hills school population is actually in North Little Rock and you can bet NLRSD will make a run at it if breakup talks get serious.

PCSSD and LRSD now have the same school board - the Commissioner of Education.  Perfect example of taxation without representation.  Budget moves are made and no one can be held accountable by the electorate.  There are more charter schools being proposed in Pulaski County that take students and funding away from the public schools, and no elected school board to protest on behalf of the people.  I look for an expansion of the Tebow law and allowing charter students to participate in extracurricular activities at their residence high schools.

Also, transportation funding for m/m and magnet students end after next year.  Look for a negative impact in enrollment to schools like Maumelle and Parkview that depend on many of these students for athletics.

I wouldn't bet your kids college fund on Robinson becoming a LRSD school. And
I suspect  the new west LR will be a feeder for LR Central. More interesting will be the impact it will have on PA, LR Christian and Baptist Prep.  Lots of new enrollments occur at those schools at the middle school level from Roberts, Fulbright, and Chenal Elementaries.

AirWarren

January 24, 2016, 03:25:21 pm #4 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:27:27 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Busman on January 24, 2016, 03:07:40 pm
Any movements that require any changes to PCSSD STILL requires federal court approval.  Jacksonville had two things going for them - a larger population base that was lower income enough it qualified for state construction funds they would not qualify for if they stayed in PCSSD. These do not apply in Sylvan Hills and Maumelle separately. Also, much of the Maumelle and Sylvan Hills school population is actually in North Little Rock and you can bet NLRSD will make a run at it if breakup talks get serious.

PCSSD and LRSD now have the same school board - the Commissioner of Education.  Perfect example of taxation without representation.  Budget moves are made and no one can be held accountable by the electorate.  There are more charter schools being proposed in Pulaski County that take students and funding away from the public schools, and no elected school board to protest on behalf of the people.  I look for an expansion of the Tebow law and allowing charter students to participate in extracurricular activities at their residence high schools.

Also, transportation funding for m/m and magnet students end after next year.  Look for a negative impact in enrollment to schools like Maumelle and Parkview that depend on many of these students for athletics.

I wouldn't bet your kids college fund on Robinson becoming a LRSD school. And
I suspect  the new west LR will be a feeder for LR Central. More interesting will be the impact it will have on PA, LR Christian and Baptist Prep.  Lots of new enrollments occur at those schools at the middle school level from Roberts, Fulbright, and Chenal Elementaries.

Maumelle has rezoned quite a few times if I am not mistaken. Also, they have stopped adding apartments into what is know as the Maumelle town area.

The new middle school, yes from what I have heard will be for LR Central. LRSD wants to bring a new and improved school to help feed kids to LR central and not have kids taken out of public school to be moved to private schools. I honestly don't think it will affect JTR at this point. It's elementary schools are Baker, Chenal, and Robinson and that is it. Now, I've noticed around here and other places all this open enrollment stuff going on within the district.

I honestly don't think Maumelle cares. Chief Osceola can elaborate more because he has been here longer, but there is some families with money that go to Maumelle. And if you have ever been to Maumelle, its a nice town and it has a tax base to take care of its own here. It is a school district that has the potential to take care of itself without the LRSD/PCCSD/NLRSD. The problem is, the town of Maumelle is 86% white and all one of these school districts has to do is claim segregation and the idea of Maumelle going independent is down the drain.

As far as the Tebow law, you are already seeing that with the Academics plus charter school here in Maumelle. They have competitive sports now, especially basketball.

Now, I comment the LRSD trying to use the bait of the "new and improved" middle school in west little rock plan. However, anyone with sense knows that the LRSD is garbage and PA, LRC, and Baptist Prep are still going to get kids from the WLR area. It may help parents a bit. A good temporary option from 6-8th grade after they leave elementary. But once the kids get to high school, I look for the privates to explode even more. And with that, an increase in tuition costs. Supply and demand.

The Maumelle talks are already in the making for a split. Its only a matter of time. They don't need the NLR kids  to keep the school running. JTR, the jury is still out. I hope the LRSD/PCCSD doesn't kill that school.

AirWarren

Growing up in Warren, you went to Eastside elementary, Brunson Middle school, Warren Jr. High, then Warren high school. No questions. Just how you did it.

Here in central Arkansas, finding a good school for your children is an absolute headache. Way more simple in South Arkansas!

Busman

January 24, 2016, 03:54:32 pm #6 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:10:59 pm by Busman
You missed the point on the Tebow Law. It allows home school students to play sports at public schools. What I am saying is that soon they will allow students at Charter schools to play sports in public schools. So an Academics Plus student could play football at Maumelle.

Also about Maumelle being big enough. They don't meet the minimum of 4,000 students required to form a new district.

AirWarren

Quote from: Busman on January 24, 2016, 03:54:32 pm
You missed the point on the Tebow Law. It allows home school students to play sports at public schools. What I am saying is that soon they will allow students at Charter schools to play sports in public schools. So an Academics Plus student could play football at Maumelle.

Also about Maumelle being big enough. They don't meet the minimum of 4,000 students required to form a new district.

I know what the Tebow law is. I was just giving an example with the academics plus charter school.

They don't meet the requirements yet. But eventually, I look for it to happen. 

Busman

And Academics Plus is NOT allowing students to play football at Maumelle.  I suspect the law will be changed to allow that.

Oldbadger

AirWarren, correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that Maumelle is 86 % white should have nothing to do with the segregation issue, it's the makeup of the student body and school district that is important.  As far as the Maumelle School is concerned, however, it will probably still be an issue.  What is the racial makeup of Maumelle's schools?

AirWarren

January 24, 2016, 06:44:22 pm #10 Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:53:53 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Oldbadger on January 24, 2016, 06:36:36 pm
AirWarren, correct me if I am wrong, but the fact that Maumelle is 86 % white should have nothing to do with the segregation issue, it's the makeup of the student body and school district that is important.  As far as the Maumelle School is concerned, however, it will probably still be an issue.  What is the racial makeup of Maumelle's schools?

That is true. But what I'm saying, people that look and dwell on that kind of stuff COULD use that as a reason to keep Maumelle part of the pcssd/LRSD/NLRSD.

The thing about Maumelle, it has several different options. Little rock Christian, baptist prep, PA, CAC, Catholic, MSM, episcopal, academics plus that takes kids away from maumelle' high school. I know in my neighborhood, I see Stickers on cars/yard signs for each of these schools. If Maumelle had a "reputable" high school to those families sending their kids to privates, would the school hit the 4000 enrollment? Who knows.

As far as the racial makeup of Maumelle, I'm unsure. Let me do some research.

AirWarren

Only thing I could find was on Maumelle middle school. 55% white. 39% black. The other small percent is made up of Hispanic and Asian.

AirWarren

AirWarren

More articles that highlight the way people feel about privates and charter schools in the central Arkansas area that stems from the ghosts that still haunt this area. The way I see it, how dare families not want good options to send their kids that don't cost and arm and leg.

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2014/01/09/the-resegregation-of-american-schools-some-little-rock-examples

PS. I still hate the Arkansas Times.

Rocket23

The new middle school is zoned for Little Rock Hall not LR Central.  And you are right, the privates will see an uptick in ninth grade enrollment so because very few will send their kids to Hall.

Pulaski Robinson is seeing a very significant increase in enrollment at the sixth grade level.  Baker and Chenal Schools both had a larger than usual number of students matriculate to Joe T.  Parent involvement has increased significantly and the attitude has been to make Pulaski Robinson a destination not an alternative.

AirWarren

Quote from: Rocket23 on January 24, 2016, 08:58:53 pm
The new middle school is zoned for Little Rock Hall not LR Central.  And you are right, the privates will see an uptick in ninth grade enrollment so because very few will send their kids to Hall.

Pulaski Robinson is seeing a very significant increase in enrollment at the sixth grade level.  Baker and Chenal Schools both had a larger than usual number of students matriculate to Joe T.  Parent involvement has increased significantly and the attitude has been to make Pulaski Robinson a destination not an alternative.
Great parent involvement. Seems like a lot of middle class, upper middle class parents at Baker and its a school that cares and parents are extremely involved.

Oldbadger

It would be nice if the poor families (black and white) who are stuck in the inner city because they can't afford to move, could, indeed, be able to move to where they could take advantage of the private or charter schools in the outer area.  Maybe the state school board could make all the schools in the LR district charter schools.  That would free them of some of the ridiculous guidelines the state imposes on the public schools.

Red Devil Alum

There is basically a zero percent chance that Judge Marshall will let Maumelle and Sylvan Hills leave the PCSSD.

UncleRico

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 25, 2016, 02:35:13 pm
There is basically a zero percent chance that Judge Marshall will let Maumelle and Sylvan Hills leave the PCSSD.
So are you saying neither will go, or both won't go? I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing either way, it just sounds like something is going to happen.

Chief_Osceola™

January 25, 2016, 04:09:25 pm #19 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:39:55 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: AirWarren on January 24, 2016, 09:14:21 pm

Great parent involvement. Seems like a lot of middle class, upper middle class parents at Baker and its a school that cares and parents are extremely involved.

What's sad is that Roberts & Fulbright are both outstanding elementary schools, and most of their kids are zoned for Hall, which makes zero sense considering their proximity to Joe T.  When I lived in LR, we were just a few minutes from Robinson, yet we were zoned for Hall.  Both kids went to Roberts, and would have gladly went to Robinson.  But when it came down to staying in LR and going to Hall, or moving to Maumelle, the choice was easy.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: AirWarren on January 24, 2016, 03:25:21 pm
I honestly don't think Maumelle cares. Chief Osceola can elaborate more because he has been here longer, but there is some families with money that go to Maumelle. And if you have ever been to Maumelle, its a nice town and it has a tax base to take care of its own here. It is a school district that has the potential to take care of itself without the LRSD/PCCSD/NLRSD. The problem is, the town of Maumelle is 86% white and all one of these school districts has to do is claim segregation and the idea of Maumelle going independent is down the drain.

Maumelle has quite a few very wealthy families that attend MHS.  The school demographics are different than the city demographics, in part due to many kids from LR attending MHS, plus the fact that a good number of Maumelle residents send their kids to CAC, PA, Catholic, and Baptist.  Here's what I've noticed - the kids who wouldn't get playing time at Maumelle attend CAC, and those who go to the other schools do so for academics.

Chief_Osceola™

January 25, 2016, 04:16:17 pm #21 Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:44:55 pm by Chief_Osceola™
Quote from: Busman on January 24, 2016, 03:54:32 pm

I don't know if that would apply to A+.  They already have a basketball, baseball, and track program.  The logistics in allowing their students to play football at Maumelle would be a nightmare.  Also consider some of these kids come from LR and Mayflower, so how would those situations apply? Would they play at Maumelle, or the school of their residency?

As far as student population size, that's a ridiculous rule, or law, or whatever it is.  It's a shame that it would be a reason in denying a split, because Maumelle could easily support its own school system.

Chief_Osceola™

Anyway, sorry for the shotgun posting, but I've just now read through this.  I'm going to speak with some people in the know and see if I can provide some more informed answers from the Maumelle perspective.  I've spoken to a couple of connected people already who think Maumelle will have its own district by 2018 or 2019.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: UncleRico on January 25, 2016, 03:26:04 pm
So are you saying neither will go, or both won't go? I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing either way, it just sounds like something is going to happen.
I'm saying that Jacksonville received a very narrow exception to be released from PCSSD and federal monitoring.  If you take Maumelle out of the PCSSD, the effect on the racial composition and tax base of PCSSD will be such that the Judge is not going to allow it to happen.  When letting Jacksonville go, he basically said don't think this sets a precedent.  Also, remember that it took Jacksonville over 25 years to achieve its goal of leaving the district.

AirWarren

Racial composition. That is what encompasses the screwed up problem of the LRSD/PCSSD.

AirWarren

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 25, 2016, 04:09:25 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on January 24, 2016, 09:14:21 pm

What's sad is that Roberts & Fulbright are both outstanding elementary schools, and most of their kids are zoned for Hall, which makes zero sense considering their proximity to Joe T.  When I lived in LR, we were just a few minutes from Robinson, yet we were zoned for Hall.  Both kids went to Roberts, and would have gladly went to Robinson.  But when it came down to staying in LR and going to Hall, or moving to Maumelle, the choice was easy.

Most think hall will eventually phase out.

UncleRico

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 25, 2016, 05:09:55 pm
I'm saying that Jacksonville received a very narrow exception to be released from PCSSD and federal monitoring.  If you take Maumelle out of the PCSSD, the effect on the racial composition and tax base of PCSSD will be such that the Judge is not going to allow it to happen.  When letting Jacksonville go, he basically said don't think this sets a precedent.  Also, remember that it took Jacksonville over 25 years to achieve its goal of leaving the district.
It's hard to not say it's a precedent, bc it is! There is now a blue print on how they'll handle property deeds, buildings, students (lots of kids in Jville go to Mills and SH), how to set up administration, ect... It would be easier for the next school to leave in a couple years bc JVille is going to go through all the transitional woes next year.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: UncleRico on January 25, 2016, 08:25:24 pm
Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 25, 2016, 05:09:55 pm
It's hard to not say it's a precedent, bc it is! There is now a blue print on how they'll handle property deeds, buildings, students (lots of kids in Jville go to Mills and SH), how to set up administration, ect... It would be easier for the next school to leave in a couple years bc JVille is going to go through all the transitional woes next year.
I'm telling you it's not true. Easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than a majority white school to leave the district.

UncleRico

Neither school is majority white... Especially Maumelle! I agree that PCSSD doesn't want to lose either school. Maumelle is brand new and SH Middle is like 4 years old.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: UncleRico on January 25, 2016, 09:28:41 pm
Neither school is majority white... Especially Maumelle! I agree that PCSSD doesn't want to lose either school. Maumelle is brand new and SH Middle is like 4 years old.
I looked up the numbers and maumelle's school district is slightly majority white.

AirWarren

What school in Arkansas that isn't inner city or the delta not majority white?

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: AirWarren on January 25, 2016, 09:42:43 pm
Springdale HS is 30% white.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: UncleRico on January 25, 2016, 09:28:41 pm

My guess is that Maumelle also brings in more money to the district than any of the other PCSSD schools. I could see Robinson being up there too in revenue generated. Which would make a break by those schools more a matter of money than race. It would've been nice if the PCSSD would've finished our football stadium and baseball & softball facilities.

AirWarren

January 26, 2016, 07:04:32 am #33 Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:06:15 am by AirWarren
That's the thing. It's almost like, well they get a nice new facility, but we won't finish the stadium and athletic facilities. I haven't been by Robinson in a while so I don't know what the upgrades are looking like.

AirWarren

Quote from: Red Devil Alum on January 25, 2016, 10:07:24 pm
Quote from: AirWarren on January 25, 2016, 09:42:43 pm
Springdale HS is 30% white.

That's a good guess. Dequeen possibly too. Maybe Danville. But honestly the state only looks at black/white ratios. The folks in between are just there.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

I think Sylvan Hills brings in the most, and I believe it is not even close.  That is not first hand knowledge, just hearsay.

AirWarren

Sherwood is a nice area. It isn't "Chenal" or "highway 10" but it's a nice little town.

Red Devil Alum

Quote from: AirWarren on January 26, 2016, 08:24:21 am
Sherwood is a nice area. It isn't "Chenal" or "highway 10" but it's a nice little town.
I agree.

Lionheart88

My only problem with Sherwood is that I can't tell where it ends and NLR begins.  lol

AirWarren

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 26, 2016, 10:07:44 am
My only problem with Sherwood is that I can't tell where it ends and NLR begins.  lol

Like the entrance to Maumelle from NLR. Never know where it truly starts.

Benton/Bryant/bauxite/Haskell. No one knows where they begin and end. It's all the same!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on January 26, 2016, 07:18:12 am
I think Sylvan Hills brings in the most, and I believe it is not even close.  That is not first hand knowledge, just hearsay.

That's interesting. It would surprise me, but not much. There are some real nice neighborhoods in North Hills.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Lionheart88 on January 26, 2016, 10:07:44 am

My biggest problem is the way the locals pronounce it. They say it like Sharewood instead of Shurwood.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas