• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What happen to White Hall?

Started by UncleRico, January 13, 2016, 09:43:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleRico

It's rare to just up and have an 0-10 season, can anybody speak on what happen with White Hall this past season. I remember them seeing them play two years ago and they were pretty good.

Lionheart88

We lost a huge and talented senior class, including several three year starters, in the spring of '15.  In fact I think seniors accounted for more than half the starters in the '14 season.  The kids sitting behind them hadn't done a whole lot of developing, especially at key spots like quarterback.  We were as young as we've ever been, I think.  The team will bounce back, it was just a perfect storm of youth, inexperience, a bit of a downturn in talent at some positions, etc.  I think the biggest question a lot of us fans have is how much longer Mike Vaughn will be around.  He's made the playoffs 10 of 13 years since he took over, has a record of 81-53-1.  You won't find too many folks complaining much about the job he's done, but the man's been teaching close to 50 years.  Everybody retires eventually.  I don't think any of us want to see him coach 'til the end and not get to retire, like Red Parker.  But when he does pack it in (and that rumor's circulated every year for the last several), who we get to replace him will determine the program's course for decades hence.

Pat Swilling

Coach V is a great Coach and a better man.  I agree he has been Coaching a long time.  With the exception of this season he always puts a good product on the field.  WH many years has had far less of an athlete pool than many in their conference. Hope, CF, WC, HS not even comparable.  I hope the WH faithful understand this and I think they do. You don't see a lot of crazy talk on here concerning WH FB.  Its great to see fans that are loyal to their Coach/School.  Good luck WH in 2016

Marblehog

White Hall just didnt have much talent

Dawgfan

White Hall had a very young team. I think only one offensive lineman had any playing time and he was a junior. When Baugh was there they never bothered to have a backup QB. Going into July the Dickerson kid, who was recently released from shoulder surgery, was moved from receiver to QB. He had zero experience at QB. Steep learning curve. Losing him at safety and receiver didn't help any but I think they did what they had to do. But he was athletic and could run. At times when he had blocking he looked pretty good. Early on he paid the price for the young offensive line. A concussion I think against LRC. A massive hit at the end of the Sheridan game from a linebacker that ran by the offensive line. He really took a beating.

From what I saw after the losing started the coaches began trying to find a way to win. Had they let the offense mature and do what they did well then perhaps it would have been a better year. Against Hot Springs they played well. The line started giving the QB time and he was throwing at will. But then they stopped throwing and the game was lost. Really made no sense.

As an armchair QB with that personal and an inexperienced QB I would have abandoned the spread for this year. Line up in the I and let it dig. Throwing in some slants and quick 5 and outs would have been the game plan.

From the outside looking in it was a what happened to WH season. But if you sat in the stands you saw young kids on the field maturing and a few seniors who were asked to do things they had never done. And they never quit. Easy to get down when your team is 0-5 in the middle of the season. But when they go out and fight with everything they have and you can see that, then it makes me as a fan of White Hall proud.

As far as moving forward. I think they have 17 starters returning. A monster running back that racked up 1500 yards. Four offensive lineman. But still no QB to speak of. The only back up this year was another senior. Perhaps there is a ninth grader moving up but I haven't heard if this is a certainty. They have a good coaching staff. I think the coaches do right by the kids. There is a lot to be said for that.

Pat Swilling

Lionheart88

Yeah.  No new practice facility, performing arts center/auditorium, classrooms for workforce services & ROTC, or handicapped accessibility improvements.  The No crowd convinced people it was "basically just for football", nevermind that the other stuff was most of the cost.

Pat Swilling

yep.  a shame.  I'm all in for anything that helps our students in our state.  Saw that DeQueen voted theirs down also.  sad.  At least Crossett approved theirs though.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas