• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why I love my Chickasaws

Started by Chief-Chickasaw, December 31, 2015, 11:37:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief-Chickasaw

Here's a great article about what made this year's team such a pleasure to watch.
http://www.blythevillecourier.com/story/2263779.html

For anyone needing some background information on Blytheville as a community I'll give it to you.  Blytheville has one of the highest crime rates in the state. The football season started with 13 people being shot in one night and a round up of 80 people on gun and drug charges. Many in both instances being family members of our player.  Most everyone in the community and the school is poor. Many of the influential people in the community have pulled their children out of Blytheville and put them in other districts.  They do there best to run down the school to support their decision to take their kid elsewhere. The town is very split amongst many lines economic, geographic, and racial. There are players on this team who have had family members and friends murdered and arrested.  For this team to come together and begin to make a difference in a community which many believed was hopeless was awesome to watch.  These boys continually went out of their way to help people in need and make their home a better place. They have taken ownership and passed it on. They have began to change not only the mindset in the school but also in the town. The giving hasn't stopped with the football team the Basketball team is picking up where they left off. We may not have won a state title this year but they accomplish something more valuable  in the community. I love these boys like they are my own and I've never been more proud to say I live in Blytheville. Hope yall enjoy the read. I'll quit bragging now. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year

WPWells

PA Dad

You have every right to brag.  Great post.

Red Devil Alum

Why does Blytheville have a high crime rate?

Intelligentsia

Saw the article on Facebook - Great season for the Chicks!!  While I've been pulling for them for a while (except when playing Batesville), with the Pioneer connection, a lot of Batesville fans are also proud to see them realize some success.  Great job by the coaches in very difficult circumstances.  Honorary Coach of the Year from my perspective!

Grond

In 2012 and 2014, Paragould played football at Blytheville. Paragould won both games, and at each game, Paragould had more people in the stands than Blytheville. (Paragould is a 1-hour drive from Blytheville; and the Paragould/Blytheville game is late in the season, during cooler, rainy weather.)

So, in 2015 I no longer have a kid playing football. Since I work in Blytheville, and I know quite a few people in the community, I decided to "adopt" the Blytheville program, go to some Blytheville games.

What a transformation. The stands were full. EVERYONE saying "Hi" to EVERYONE. An ideal COMMUNITY experience.

ESPN does shows/articles on "The Power of Sports". As a fan that gets caught up in the tactical/technical aspects of football, I sometimes forget that SPORTS CAN BE A POSITIVE SOCIAL EXPERIENCE.

Well done, Chickasaws.  ;)

wynnefootballfan

+1A All the way around. Very proud to share the conference with this team. Quality bunch of kids and coaches alike. I hope the support and respect that is being shown from posters and football fans all around the state can get to the players from Blytheville. They need and deserve to know it.

Look foreward to kickoff next year.. Good job guys.....

Oldbadger

I really enjoyed reading the article about the Chickasaws.  This may be the catalyst that turns the community around.  Sometimes a positive action in one part of the community results in the same in the rest.  Good luck Chickasaws, I want to read more stuff like this.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas