• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How dooe AAA use the money they make at the gate and the concessions at playoff games?

Started by 4thandgoal, December 17, 2015, 05:51:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

4thandgoal

Just curious. That's a lot of money. Who is accountable for handling that money? Do they have a system and accountability system in place to ensure the checks and balances?

WPWells

Quote from: 4thandgoal on December 17, 2015, 05:51:32 pm
Just curious. That's a lot of money. Who is accountable for handling that money? Do they have a system and accountability system in place to ensure the checks and balances?

They don't get the concessions

Yellowcake

Yeah, I think cut of gate and concessions go to WMS. Booster groups vie for the chance to work in and share concession revenues.

I despise paying WMS prices for concessions at a high school game. It reminds me why I care much more about high school ball than college. All day, every day.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 17, 2015, 07:54:28 pm
Yeah, I think cut of gate and concessions go to WMS. Booster groups vie for the chance to work in and share concession revenues.

I despise paying WMS prices for concessions at a high school game. It reminds me why I care much more about high school ball than college. All day, every day.
Huh?  Why would WMS get a cut of the gate for games not played there?  Why would they get a cut of a school's concessions money when the AAA doesn't even get a cut?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Yellowcake on December 17, 2015, 07:54:28 pm

4 bucks for a Dr pepper isn't normal at your school?

Yellowcake

Lumberjackfan1978

Lumberjackfan1978

Black and Gold

Do away with the AAA. SC held at the higher seed's place. If they're both the same then the one higher on the bracket.

george7244

Brian G

Teams that participate in the finals get some travel reimbursement for their team and I think band/cheer as well.  As mentioned, concessions goes to the hosting venue.

But overall, the AAA does profit greatly from the Championship events.  The football finals and basketball playoff gates are a lot of their yearly income.

Oldbadger

Quote from: B.G. on December 20, 2015, 03:45:44 pm
Teams that participate in the finals get some travel reimbursement for their team and I think band/cheer as well.  As mentioned, concessions goes to the hosting venue.

But overall, the AAA does profit greatly from the Championship events.  The football finals and basketball playoff gates are a lot of their yearly income.
The very reason that almost everyone goes to the playoffs.  More games, more money. Not sure we need to do away with the AAA.  Can you imagine how things would be without some entity to guide things?  You know superintendents are the decision makers in all this.

Brian G

The AAA is a needed necessity.  It does have flaws but it's up to member schools to dictate what they want fixed.

sevenof400

Quote from: B.G. on December 20, 2015, 04:07:40 pm
The AAA is a needed necessity.  It does have flaws but it's up to member schools to dictate what they want fixed.

One problem among many with AAA is it composition (membership).  The AAA is similar to the Estates General but too many stakeholders in athletics aren't even members of the third estate.  How can / should AAA be fixed?  Here are a few long needed reforms:

• Open access to AAA: as currently comprised, only the designated party from your district has standing in AAA to bring matters before the body.  If your district's designated party does not support your idea, and is unwilling to do the leg work, any idea(s) from outside the AAA are never presented.
  • Requirement to adhere to FOI laws: as presently constructed, AAA is either exempt from or outside the scope of FOI requests.  This must change.  The AAA (as a taxpayer supported body) must be made subject to FOI requests from any Arkansas taxpayer.  There is too much public money moving through this organization 

I could go on, but I think those of us around here all agree the AAA is in serious need of reform. 

Oldbadger

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 20, 2015, 08:35:38 pm

One problem among many with AAA is it composition (membership).  The AAA is similar to the Estates General but too many stakeholders in athletics aren't even members of the third estate.  How can / should AAA be fixed?  Here are a few long needed reforms:

• Open access to AAA: as currently comprised, only the designated party from your district has standing in AAA to bring matters before the body.  If your district's designated party does not support your idea, and is unwilling to do the leg work, any idea(s) from outside the AAA are never presented.
  • Requirement to adhere to FOI laws: as presently constructed, AAA is either exempt from or outside the scope of FOI requests.  This must change.  The AAA (as a taxpayer supported body) must be made subject to FOI requests from any Arkansas taxpayer.  There is too much public money moving through this organization 

I could go on, but I think those of us around here all agree the AAA is in serious need of reform. 
I can't comment of the first point you made, but the second point was discussed in another thread. The poster had done some research and found this:
"It was conceded at trial, and on appeal, that the AAA is subject to the provisions of the FOIA as an organization in this state supported "wholly or in part by public funds or expending public funds."  Depoyster v. Cole 766 S.W.2d 606 (1989)"

So, that seems to contradict your second point.  It seems that because the money is collected by the school districts, deposited in their bank account, and a check issued to the AAA, that it is considered to be supported by public funds.

MDXPHD

I just got a response to my FOI, so they don't fall out of the scope. I will post some information later today.

sevenof400

Quote from: Oldbadger on December 20, 2015, 09:54:48 pm
Quote from: sevenof400 on December 20, 2015, 08:35:38 pm

I can't comment of the first point you made, but the second point was discussed in another thread. The poster had done some research and found this:
"It was conceded at trial, and on appeal, that the AAA is subject to the provisions of the FOIA as an organization in this state supported "wholly or in part by public funds or expending public funds."  Depoyster v. Cole 766 S.W.2d 606 (1989)"

So, that seems to contradict your second point.  It seems that because the money is collected by the school districts, deposited in their bank account, and a check issued to the AAA, that it is considered to be supported by public funds.

Well I stand corrected then.  That's good to know and thanks for finding that info Oldbadger. 

Part of my concern is that I can never find minutes and / or agendas with respect to meetings on their website - for example, what will be / was discussed at the annual referee meetings.  Info like this should be posted on their website - just like schools are required to do on their websites.   

sevenof400

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 21, 2015, 09:30:46 am
I just got a response to my FOI, so they don't fall out of the scope. I will post some information later today.

Thanks for that effort MDXPHD. 

sevenof400

And just to be clear, what is on this page is not current and does not cover finances. 

MDXPHD

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 21, 2015, 09:44:46 am
Quote from: MDXPHD on December 21, 2015, 09:30:46 am

Thanks for that effort MDXPHD.

No problem. I think you should request the minutes to the board meetings for the last year or so, assuming there is something you are interested in.

Lionheart88

I don't know why the DoE doesn't run athletics.  I'm not a big government guy, but when we have a department of the state government that oversees education, why do they let some private entity run school sports?  Isn't that supposed to be their job?

Brian G

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 21, 2015, 01:03:10 pm
I don't know why the DoE doesn't run athletics.  I'm not a big government guy, but when we have a department of the state government that oversees education, why do they let some private entity run school sports?  Isn't that supposed to be their job?

As a long time educator, I can assure you that allowing the ADE to handle competition sports / school activities would be an absolute disaster!!!!!   

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on December 21, 2015, 06:10:01 pm
Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 21, 2015, 01:03:10 pm

As a long time educator, I can assure you that allowing the ADE to handle competition sports / school activities would be an absolute disaster!!!!!

That sounds like a man who knows what he's talking about!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas