• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

USE FOR SCORE THREAD:5A CHAMPIONSHIP: Pulaski Academy vs LR McClellan (FRIDAY 7:00)

Started by Brian G, November 27, 2015, 09:49:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Winner is??

Pulaski Academy
56 (78.9%)
Little Rock McClellan
15 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: December 04, 2015, 10:25:41 pm

PA Dad

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 14, 2015, 08:22:15 pm
Quote from: JustGoForIt114 on December 14, 2015, 07:48:19 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 11:09:52 am
Quote from: the voice on December 14, 2015, 07:18:20 am
Agree on running the ball , not passing , letting play clock run , not rushing to snap or calling timeout with under a minute to play.

The post about calling sully over a college basketball game ? Ridiculous, comparing a high school football game to a college basketball game. I understand some posters are joining in after the thing has pretty much settled, but defending those things are going to open it up again.

Thirdly bragging and boasting over mercy ruling opponents, I've said before it seems that's part of the plan , not to win but get to mercy rule. If the score is that one sided as I've said before , if you are that much better than others in your class that year in and out this is the case. Take it up a class and play a game that's on your level. Stop bragging about how good you are when you have 2-3 d1 players on a team and most opposition has 1 or less. Imo the sportsmanship rule is in place for a reason , honestly doesn't mean you have to get a 35 point rule to win the game. Odds are most teams will agree game is decided before it gets to that point. Just because he pulls the dogs off at 35 doesn't mean he couldn't have earlier , getting a 35 point in 4th qtr is considered by some as unwarranted scoring , with a cause to have box score show a larger margin of victory, so let's say were they more talented than LRC ? I've heard arguments saying no they weren't, was the game over at end of third qtr? Seriously was it ? Then why continue to score when game was out of reach ? To prove a point , to make score even more one sided ? Because your so good you play until clock says 0, regardless? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You want respect as great team and great sports. Then maybe change or tweak a few things. Which may happen after all this. The state already knows PA is a great program and have proven to be the best in 5a the last two years.

You could be right that getting a 35 point lead is running up the score.  But, I've never heard that getting to the mercy rule is classless or unsportsmanlike.  Many teams beside PA mercy rule their opponents.  I've always thought that it was acceptable to get the 35 point lead before calling off the dogs.

Example: 2006 - PA had the mercy rule at halftime against White Hall and they came back and beat PA. Maybe Coach Kelley took this as a lesson and will no longer leave any chance for that to happen again.
No they didn't.  I was there, it never went into mercy rule.  IIRC, It was 35-15 at the half.  PA made it 43-15 in the early 3rd (still 7 short of the mercy rule) and then White Hall scored 35 straight to win 50-43.

That still demonstrates that you can't let up too much against a good team.  I'm not talking about a 13 point lead with 20 seconds to go.  But some seem to think if you get a 30 point lead you should call off the dogs.  I say that depends on your opponent and how much time is left in the game.

Maynard G Krebs

Agree on running the ball , not passing , letting play clock run , not rushing to snap or calling timeout with under a minute to play.

The post about calling sully over a college basketball game ? Ridiculous, comparing a high school football game to a college basketball game. I understand some posters are joining in after the thing has pretty much settled, but defending those things are going to open it up again.

Thirdly bragging and boasting over mercy ruling opponents, I've said before it seems that's part of the plan , not to win but get to mercy rule. If the score is that one sided as I've said before , if you are that much better than others in your class that year in and out this is the case. Take it up a class and play a game that's on your level. Stop bragging about how good you are when you have 2-3 d1 players on a team and most opposition has 1 or less. Imo the sportsmanship rule is in place for a reason , honestly doesn't mean you have to get a 35 point rule to win the game. Odds are most teams will agree game is decided before it gets to that point. Just because he pulls the dogs off at 35 doesn't mean he couldn't have earlier , getting a 35 point in 4th qtr is considered by some as unwarranted scoring , with a cause to have box score show a larger margin of victory, so let's say were they more talented than LRC ? I've heard arguments saying no they weren't, was the game over at end of third qtr? Seriously was it ? Then why continue to score when game was out of reach ? To prove a point , to make score even more one sided ? Because your so good you play until clock says 0, regardless? You can't have your cake and eat it too. You want respect as great team and great sports. Then maybe change or tweak a few things. Which may happen after all this. The state already knows PA is a great program and have proven to be the best in 5a the last two years.

You could be right that getting a 35 point lead is running up the score.  But, I've never heard that getting to the mercy rule is classless or unsportsmanlike.  Many teams beside PA mercy rule their opponents.  I've always thought that it was acceptable to get the 35 point lead before calling off the dogs.

Example: 2006 - PA had the mercy rule at halftime against White Hall and they came back and beat PA. Maybe Coach Kelley took this as a lesson and will no longer leave any chance for that to happen again.
No they didn't.  I was there, it never went into mercy rule.  IIRC, It was 35-15 at the half.  PA made it 43-15 in the early 3rd (still 7 short of the mercy rule) and then White Hall scored 35 straight to win 50-43.

Adrian Moore.

the voice

Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 08:26:21 pm

That still demonstrates that you can't let up too much against a good team.  I'm not talking about a 13 point lead with 20 seconds to go.  But some seem to think if you get a 30 point lead you should call off the dogs.  I say that depends on your opponent and how much time is left in the game.
If you have a 30 point lead in the second half that's four possessions to come back , I understand about not letting up when it's in doubt , but there are ways to control things , like snapping the ball with two seconds on the clock instead of snapping it so quick. Running the ball inbounds and snapping it with little to nothing left on play clock can run minutes off in a hurry. Five or six plays can run over four minutes off easily, instead running four plays a minute. Just an example. I don't recall the game used as an example but probably slowing down and running the clock down may have got him the victory, 12 minute qtr, even they went three and four times it would have used up two thirds of the 4th qtr. I doubt that went three and out though. I guess it's just how one views it. Different plans and different ways.

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on December 14, 2015, 12:33:48 pm
Running up the score is like identifying a fat person.  It doesn't have a set criteria, but you know it when you see it.

That reminds me of an opinion written by Whizzer White, a Michigan player who was appointed to the US Supreme Court.  In a case about obscenity, he said "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PA Dad on December 14, 2015, 09:38:06 pm
Running up the score is like identifying a fat person.  It doesn't have a set criteria, but you know it when you see it.

That reminds me of an opinion written by Whizzer White, a Michigan player who was appointed to the US Supreme Court.  In a case about obscenity, he said "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

Ha! That may have been where I got that from. It seems like I may have heard it in one of my business law classes many moons ago.

sevenof400

Oops. 

White was a Buffalo, not a Wolverine.

MDXPHD

I thought Justice White went to Colorado, but I could be wrong. I remember reading about him not long ago. His opinions were always fun to read. 

PA Dad

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 15, 2015, 08:59:18 am

Oops. 

White was a Buffalo, not a Wolverine.

We have too many scholars on this board!  You are correct-my mistake.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on December 15, 2015, 09:06:22 am

I thought Justice White went to Colorado, but I could be wrong. I remember reading about him not long ago. His opinions were always fun to read.

Well, I'm getting old and my memory is fading rapidly.  Not only was Whizzer White from Colorado, it wasn't him who wrote the quote.  It was Potter Stewart.  So, always question my quotes and my memory.  Sorry.

Grond

Quote from: PA Dad on December 15, 2015, 10:37:01 pm

Well, I'm getting old and my memory is fading rapidly.  Not only was Whizzer White from Colorado, it wasn't him who wrote the quote.  It was Potter Stewart.  So, always question my quotes and my memory.  Sorry.

I, too, suffer from CRS: Can't Remember S***   :-[

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on December 15, 2015, 10:37:01 pm

Well, either way, I don't think anyone can define what obscene actually means. Apparently, prurient interest is important though. There was an interesting free speech arrest made the other day as a person violated the obscenity statute in Arkansas, yet the speech that violated it wasn't obscene under the definition of the statute. So get ready for the lawsuit! It was in Little Rock, or a surrounding area, so maybe you can keep up with the case.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas