• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoping it happens soon!!

Started by jrhall2, April 03, 2016, 11:53:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrhall2

I'm a basketball/baseball guy who is certified only k-12 health and PE but fixing to be certified in middle school math as well. I have one year experience as assistnt high school boys for a 4A school. I know I'm ready to be a head and start building my own program from the fundamentals up and working tirelessly to prove myself as a great coach.  My question is how many schools usually hire someone like me? I know I can handle all the aspects of being a head and I know it's what God is and has been calling me to do. most schools want someone with at least 3-5 years or more of head coaching experience. Which I understand but surely there are a few willing to take a chance at hiring a coach and it turning out to be great.

basketballcoach15

Best chances are moving to schools in the south or possibly northeast. Smaller schools tend to take young coaches (1A, 2A)

Head Lion

Don't, rush it. As a school board member heavily involved in the athletic hires at my school, we first look for a proven winner and if that is not available we go for 28-35 yr old asst, who has coached under a model program. These traits for the most part have served us well. The worst thing a young coach can do is go somewhere and not be successful, it will set the careers back 5-10 years and lets face it. Some places because of a multitude of reasons have problems having success. Best of luck and if you are that driven, it will happen in due time and you will know how to accept and appreciate it more.

brock

I agree with head lion. I also think you should consider yourself lucky to be an assistant at a 4A with just pe. However adding areas to your license should help you in your search.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas