• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why must coaches blame everything on officials?

Started by tuna fish, March 03, 2006, 10:08:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tuna fish

Jonesboro lost to Batesville and their coach has this great comment:

"We don't think it was a good call. For one thing that's exactly what he does every single time he does it, and that was a big play," Jonesboro head coach Jim Ellis said. "And it doesn't take but one play like that and all of sudden the whole thing can turn on you, especially when it's kind of tough to score to start with."

He was referring to a balk called on his pitcher that made the score 6-4.  I guess this one call was the turning point of the game huh. ;D  Or it could have been one of the follwing:

After Batesville's Nick Davidson laced a 1-out single, stole second and went to third on a wild pitch, Evan Eary slapped a single to deep right field to score Davidson as the Pioneers tied the game 4-4. Two more Lee pitches scooted past catcher Eddie Price to put Eary on third base with Jason Angel at the plate.

Angel then singled to right field and Eary scored to give the Pioneers the 5-4 lead. After a wild pitch placed Angel on second, Clint Walls singled to right field, moving Angel to third.

The Hurricane made its final push in the seventh. After Cook walked, Watts' 0-1 swing appeared headed over the fence, but the ball lost momentum and began to look like it was going to drop right in front of center-fielder Hunter Platt. But Platt made a diving grab for the ball and turned it into a double play, throwing to first base to catch the runner too far off.

Seems to me like Jonesboro's poor play had more to do with the loss than a single balk call.  Cry me a river Coach Ellis.  :'(

Go Devils

Sounds like Jonesboro to me.  They never lose.  It's  always someone elses fault.  Go Blue Devils!!!

tiger96

I bet the AAA takes a long look at his comments and there is some sort of disciplinary action....it may not be severe, but they will do something about criticizing officials.

WBF †

our coach or us at JAX dont believe that an official causes a team to lose the whole game. Maybe one play or a few, but not the whole game. If you were that good, then an official wouldn't dictate the game in my opinion.

tuna fish

Quote from: jaxdevil#10 on March 04, 2006, 11:31:10 pm
our coach or us at JAX dont believe that an official causes a team to lose the whole game. Maybe one play or a few, but not the whole game. If you were that good, then an official wouldn't dictate the game in my opinion.

That's what I am talking about.  The umpires didn't have anything to do with the passed balls and the baserunning mistakes.  Jonesboro's just whining as usual.

Super Scrapper

Maybe if the pitcher hadn't balked the umpire wouldn't have called it?    ::)  SS

Go Scrappers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas