• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin still ballin'

Started by Ponca, January 24, 2016, 12:09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponca

WPWells

Wow. He hit one shot after crap college and probcareers

pioneers

He's playing in the best basketball league in the world he must be doing something rite....

neds

Good for him. It's been a bit of a slow start for him , but he looks like things are catching a gear and improving. He was VERY young when he came into the league (youngest player in the draft that year) so he may be coming into his own now.

RTF

WPWells

Archie ditched his state. I don't wish him ill, but I couldn't care less what he does or doesn't do

Redwolves8526

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 25, 2016, 10:16:52 am
Archie ditched his state. I don't wish him ill, but I couldn't care less what he does or doesn't do

This amuses me. "Ditching" means that he or she had a prior commitment to something and bailed. Just because he lived in AR doesn't mean he is ditching his state by going to another school. That's extremely ignorant.

sportsguy80

Why even comment then. Last time I checked we are entitled to choose whatever college we want.

MDXPHD

You constantly whine about players in the state leaving and going to another school. Arkansas has a program that's in shambles. I'm an Arkansas fan, but I'm not a delusional and unrealistic one. If my son was choosing to go win a national championship then go to the NBA in one year, he would not be going to Arkansas.

RTF

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 26, 2016, 03:08:23 pm

You constantly whine about players in the state leaving and going to another school. Arkansas has a program that's in shambles. I'm an Arkansas fan, but I'm not a delusional and unrealistic one. If my son was choosing to go win a national championship then go to the NBA in one year, he would not be going to Arkansas.

Crap mentality, Just think of what your kid COULD be... another number at Kentucky, or a kid who everyone in the state remembers his name, lifts him on their shoulders, and bring Arkansas out of that those so called "shambles." All is takes is a few kids who want to BE ARKANSAS.

MDXPHD

Quote from: RTF on January 26, 2016, 03:20:19 pm

Crap mentality, Just think of what your kid COULD be... another number at Kentucky, or a kid who everyone in the state remembers his name, lifts him on their shoulders, and bring Arkansas out of that those so called "shambles." All is takes is a few kids who want to BE ARKANSAS.

This is why it's so hard to be an Arkansas fan. You can't support kids who want to go out of state to give themselves the best shot at the life they want. They HAVE to go to the U of A or they are shunned. Give me a break. I don't think Archie's parents are questioning what he could be, considering he is in the NBA and everyone int he state still remembers his name.

OB11

But that's the problem.  No kids want to "BE ARKANSAS".  Go to Arkansas and have the state know who you are, or go to Kentucky/Kansas/Duke and have the entire country know who you are?  Not a difficult decision for a 17 - 18 year old kid.

MDXPHD

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 27, 2016, 09:57:52 am

But that's the problem.  No kids want to "BE ARKANSAS".  Go to Arkansas and have the state know who you are, or go to Kentucky/Kansas/Duke and have the entire country know who you are?  Not a difficult decision for a 17 - 18 year old kid.

How dare you support those kids who want that and want something better! shame on you.

OB11

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 27, 2016, 09:58:24 am
Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 27, 2016, 09:57:52 am

How dare you support those kids who want that and want something better! shame on you.

Mind boggling isn't it???  ;D

WPWells

And y'all are proving why no one wants to be Arkansas anymore. They'd rather have the instant gratification instead of working for what they receive

OB11

Go to Arkansas, work your tail off and be on a lower tier SEC team?

Go to any of the above mentioned schools, work your tail off and have a shot at a title? 

Again, not hard to make that decision. 

Kids that decide to go elsewhere are definitely going to earn whatever they get.  They don't just hand out conference and national championships.  I guarantee you Bill Self doesn't just tell his guys to show up on game days.  They put in the hard work just like all the other schools in the country.   

MDXPHD

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 27, 2016, 10:39:00 am
Go to Arkansas, work your tail off and be on a lower tier SEC team?

Go to any of the above mentioned schools, work your tail off and have a shot at a title? 

Again, not hard to make that decision. 

Kids that decide to go elsewhere are definitely going to earn whatever they get.  They don't just hand out conference and national championships.  I guarantee you Bill Self doesn't just tell his guys to show up on game days.  They put in the hard work just like all the other schools in the country.

No, Fred seems to think if you go to Kentucky then you don't have to work hard and you will be given the national title and also automatically become a lottery pick. People are so delusional these days.  If you get drafted by a team in the NFL, would you rather be drafted by the Patriots or drafted by the Browns? Let's be real.

RTF

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 27, 2016, 09:56:13 am

This is why it's so hard to be an Arkansas fan. You can't support kids who want to go out of state to give themselves the best shot at the life they want. They HAVE to go to the U of A or they are shunned. Give me a break. I don't think Archie's parents are questioning what he could be, considering he is in the NBA and everyone int he state still remembers his name.

I wish all kids the best of luck. ( don't put words in my mouth) But I do not cheer for Kentucky so I am not going to cheer for one of their players. They do not have to go to  Arkansas just because they are from Arkansas, as proven with past players, but don't think that going to Kentucky is bettering your career when you can do the same thing at Arkansas.

Also, I forgot about this kid until someone brought it up.

MDXPHD

Quote from: RTF on January 27, 2016, 11:37:21 am

I wish all kids the best of luck. ( don't put words in my mouth) But I do not cheer for Kentucky so I am not going to cheer for one of their players. They do not have to go to  Arkansas just because they are from Arkansas, as proven with past players, but don't think that going to Kentucky is bettering your career when you can do the same thing at Arkansas.

Of course you did. Just as you will forget about Monk. And you forgot about James Anderson, Shekinna Stricklen, etc.

MDXPHD

With most Arkansas fans logic, we would never get good out of state players. They should all stay in state, because that's where they belong. Which is really interesting to me.

WPWells

Bobby Portis says hello to those of you who don't think you can be successful at Arkansas

RTF

Quote from: MDXPHD on January 27, 2016, 11:43:45 am

Of course you did. Just as you will forget about Monk. And you forgot about James Anderson, Shekinna Stricklen, etc.

No I have not forgotten about Monk yet.... And I also have no idea who those other people are...

RTF

January 27, 2016, 01:09:40 pm #22 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:11:11 pm by RTF
Quote from: Fred Bird on January 27, 2016, 12:17:04 pm
Bobby Portis says hello to those of you who don't think you can be successful at Arkansas

Joe Johnson says hi too...

O and Scottie Pipen who didn't even to to Arkansas ( but little ole UCA from Conway) says wazzup....

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: RTF on January 27, 2016, 01:02:41 pm

No I have not forgotten about Monk yet.... And I also have no idea who those other people are...

James Anderson went to Junction City and played at Oklahoma St.
Shekinna Stricklen went to Morrilton and played at Tennessee.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

I guarantee you Bill Self doesn't just tell his guys to show up on game days.

Sometimes when watching KU I have my doubts.

RTF

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on January 27, 2016, 01:13:03 pm

James Anderson went to Junction City and played at Oklahoma St.
Shekinna Stricklen went to Morrilton and played at Tennessee.

Cool Thanks

OB11

Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on January 27, 2016, 01:14:31 pm

I'll give that to you.  But he does have a pretty good track record.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Quote from: OliverBoy11 on January 27, 2016, 01:20:22 pm
Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on January 27, 2016, 01:14:31 pm

I'll give that to you.  But he does have a pretty good track record.

Haha I'm the same way with FSU or UNC. But yeah Self is a good coach.

bleudog

January 27, 2016, 07:03:50 pm #28 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:11:11 pm by bleudog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Anderson_%28basketball%29

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/james-anderson/cash-earnings/

Ponca

Here's the deal. Arkansas basketball is where it is because we are 1 for 5 on blue chip recruits last 5 years. We got Bobby Portis. Missed on James Anderson, Archie Goodwin, KeVaughn Allen and Malik Monk. I'd throw Eric Curry in that mix too. AAU has really disrupted the landscape where a kid is loyal to his home state. He spends the summer playing all across the country. Television does the same.

But.

Arkansas plays on National TV EVERY game now. Arkansas has upgraded their facilities where it's probably Top 5 now. Easily Top 10. I see the trend going forward where blue chip Arkansas kids will start going back to Arkansas again. We're fine with this class even though we missed on Monk and I'm not sure we even recruited Curry. Got a real good class coming in to mesh with what's coming back. Arkansas will be VERY GOOD next year. Monk or no Monk. The distressing thing is Monk would put us over the top. Would probably be better than Kentucky in 2016-2017 with him. Probably even or just a slight below Kentucky without him.

James Anderson and Archie Goodwin did not win national championships where they went. Their draft status was not affected by where they went. Bobby Portis did just fine where he went draft status-wise at Arkansas. Probably better because he was SEC player of the year as the star. Not a blue chip lost in a roster full of blue chips.

Finally, what these kids don't get is when basketball is done, if they come back and live in the state with their families lasts a lifetime compared to their basketball playing days. That's where the return on investment kicks in by attending Arkansas. Their opportunities open up exponentially.

Bobby Portis came home already this season and he hasn't even been gone very long. He's a god. Will always be a god in this state.

Archie Goodwin? James Anderson? I wouldn't even recognize them if I passed them on Markham Street.

WPWells

Ponca

January 27, 2016, 09:41:59 pm #31 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:53:30 pm by Ponca
You realize Arkansas has 8 3-stars or better playing high school ball as SRs this season. None are coming to Arkansas. I think Arkansas totally missed on the Korita kid from PA. Outside of Monk and Curry, he's best player in state. I haven't seen Cedarville kid though.

Chief_Osceolaâ„¢

Maybe Arkansas isn't the best fit for all these kids. Maybe another school offered earlier and they stuck with the commitment. Maybe they just bonded with other coaching staffs better. Maybe other schools fit their style of play better. There are a lot of factors to consider, and I'll never hold a decision like that against a 17-18 year old kid.

bleudog

Quote from: Ponca on January 24, 2016, 12:09:05 am

Quote from: Ponca on January 27, 2016, 09:37:46 pm
Here's the deal. Arkansas basketball is where it is because we are 1 for 5 on blue chip recruits last 5 years. We got Bobby Portis. Missed on James Anderson, Archie Goodwin, KeVaughn Allen and Malik Monk. I'd throw Eric Curry in that mix too. AAU has really disrupted the landscape where a kid is loyal to his home state. He spends the summer playing all across the country. Television does the same.

But.

Arkansas plays on National TV EVERY game now. Arkansas has upgraded their facilities where it's probably Top 5 now. Easily Top 10. I see the trend going forward where blue chip Arkansas kids will start going back to Arkansas again. We're fine with this class even though we missed on Monk and I'm not sure we even recruited Curry. Got a real good class coming in to mesh with what's coming back. Arkansas will be VERY GOOD next year. Monk or no Monk. The distressing thing is Monk would put us over the top. Would probably be better than Kentucky in 2016-2017 with him. Probably even or just a slight below Kentucky without him.

James Anderson and Archie Goodwin did not win national championships where they went. Their draft status was not affected by where they went. Bobby Portis did just fine where he went draft status-wise at Arkansas. Probably better because he was SEC player of the year as the star. Not a blue chip lost in a roster full of blue chips.

Finally, what these kids don't get is when basketball is done, if they come back and live in the state with their families lasts a lifetime compared to their basketball playing days. That's where the return on investment kicks in by attending Arkansas. Their opportunities open up exponentially.

Bobby Portis came home already this season and he hasn't even been gone very long. He's a god. Will always be a god in this state.

Archie Goodwin? James Anderson? I wouldn't even recognize them if I passed them on Markham Street.

I'm a bit confused.  You start a thread as if you were a Goodwin fan, then three days later in the same thread you throw Goodwin under the bus. ???

Eagle20

Quote from: Ponca on January 27, 2016, 09:41:59 pm
You realize Arkansas has 8 3-stars or better playing high school ball as SRs this season. None are coming to Arkansas. I think Arkansas totally missed on the Korita kid from PA. Outside of Monk and Curry, he's best player in state. I haven't seen Cedarville kid though.
Korita isn't good but not even close to Reeves.

bleudog

January 28, 2016, 11:30:29 am #35 Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:15:17 pm by bleudog
Quote from: Chief_Osceolaâ„¢ on January 28, 2016, 07:48:52 am
Maybe Arkansas isn't the best fit for all these kids. Maybe another school offered earlier and they stuck with the commitment. Maybe they just bonded with other coaching staffs better. Maybe other schools fit their style of play better. There are a lot of factors to consider, and I'll never hold a decision like that against a 17-18 year old kid.

Bingo.  I understand Anderson's decision was based primary on the OSU coach who recruited him and a recommendation from a Razorback player at the time that the Razorback coach JA would be playing for wasn't somebody that player would play for if he had the choice do it over again.

The Arkansas legacy thing has legs, but some of the Razorback fans need to realize the Fayetteville halo isn't as bright the farther one gets away from NWA. Plus, Arkansas only has so many spots and can't offer everybody. They turn down kids every year. When the school get turned down it's not that different

I don't know the details of their recruitment, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching Raheem Appleby's (Jacksonville) and Kenyon McNeail's (Conway) time at Louisiana Tech.

razorsharp94

Imagine how good Archie would be if he had stayed in college a couple years longer.  Michael Jordan stayed at UNC for three years and Archie Goodwin stayed at Kentucky one because he had to.  Something doesn't make sense.

BigLion10

Goodwin just threw it down on Porzingas

MDXPHD

Quote from: razorsharp94 on January 28, 2016, 03:28:06 pm
Imagine how good Archie would be if he had stayed in college a couple years longer.  Michael Jordan stayed at UNC for three years and Archie Goodwin stayed at Kentucky one because he had to.  Something doesn't make sense.

Yeah, like Lebron and Kobe did!

Yellowcake

Korita is the good? I guess you haven't seen him play. Really dumb comment. Probably a PA hater.

Ponca

Ctucker

Quote from: Eagle20 on January 28, 2016, 11:19:51 am
.      Well I don't know how good the kid at Cedarville is but Reeves from Cedar Ridge is a awsome player.If you haven't seen him than how do you figure Korita is better.

Ponca

Quote from: Ctucker on January 31, 2016, 06:01:41 pm
.      Well I don't know how good the kid at Cedarville is but Reeves from Cedar Ridge is a awsome player.If you haven't seen him than how do you figure Korita is better.

Sorry. I meant Cedar Ridge. I see he's going to Wichita St. Korita is going to Tulsa. Both D1

MDXPHD

Quote from: Ponca on February 01, 2016, 04:42:14 pm
Quote from: Ctucker on January 31, 2016, 06:01:41 pm

Sorry. I meant Cedar Ridge. I see he's going to Wichita St. Korita is going to Tulsa. Both D1

Some d-1 schools are way different than others..

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Yeah, but right now, unfortunately, Wichita State is a better program than Arkansas

Missco

No doubt at this point Wichita state is a much better program.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Elmwood Middle School on February 01, 2016, 07:52:25 pm
Yeah, but right now, unfortunately, Wichita State is a better program than Arkansas

Absolutely. Reaves made the right decision when he was offered by them.

RTF

I dunno if I would call it a better program, but yes they have out-performed Arkansas as of recent seasons.

businesstron

You need to change that small thinking and go out and get the best that you can get.  You think Kansans are still crying over Buddy Hield?  You go out and get the best players they can get.  Arkansas would've been better this year if Kapita would've made it to campus and honestly considering what they have they are doing ok. 

Most kids are going to go to a place that fits their interest and alot of kids that are 4 and 5 star caliber aren't interested in just staying in Arkansas.   Monk is thinking about the NBA.  For that goal Kentucky is a good place.  Kevaughn Allen had his reasons for going to Florida.  Fayetteville vs Gainsville....been to both, can't blame him for his choice. 

Ponca

Quote from: RTF on February 02, 2016, 04:10:08 pm
I dunno if I would call it a better program, but yes they have out-performed Arkansas as of recent seasons.

Right. And with the addition of the state of the art practice facility at Arkansas, it's not even worth comparing. Almost laughable.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas