• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Playoff Picture

Started by Absolut, October 19, 2009, 03:15:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Absolut

October 19, 2009, 03:15:14 pm Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:26:25 pm by Absolut
Its week 8 and the playoffs are almost here. Some teams are clearly pegged into certain seeds and some are still up for grabs. I have a good idea of who might get what seeds.

Watson Chapel 3rd seed from south
pine bluff 4th seed from south
Texarkana 5th seed from south
Sheridan 6th seed from south

West Memphis 1st seed from east
Jonesboro 2nd seed from east

My Playoff picture looks like this:

1S-El Dorado
Bye

4E-Marion
5S-Texarkana

2E-Jonesboro
Bye

3S-Watson Chapel
6E-Searcy

1E-West Memphis
Bye

4S-Pine Bluff
5E-Mountain Home

2S-Lake Hamilton
Bye

3E-LR Parkview
6S-Sheridan

bomberfootball#4

It looks pretty good to me

bigfatguy

If two teams of the same seed end up playing each other, how do they determine home field?

green-eagle

Quote from: bigfatguy on October 19, 2009, 10:23:09 pm
If two teams of the same seed end up playing each other, how do they determine home field?

the team that are on the top side of the bracket.....

bigfatguy

Quote from: green-eagle on October 19, 2009, 10:24:52 pm

the team that are on the top side of the bracket.....

So number 1 seeds will play at home as long as they are still alive. Thanks for the quick reply.

the#1man

two teams of the same seed cant play each other

green-eagle

Quote from: the#1man on October 19, 2009, 10:50:04 pm

yes you are right, they can not play each other in the same bracket  but also you are wrong....two teams of the same seed can play each other only in the championship game.

bigfatguy

I wasn't very clear in my original post....I meant to ask two questions. 1)How is home field determined for the games and 2)if two teams of the same seed end up in the finals, who wears the home jersey. That's what I get for trying to type and watch the Dodgers game at the same time.

Green-Eagle answered both without meaning to :-)

onegearruss

Quote from: green-eagle on October 19, 2009, 10:56:12 pm
Quote from: the#1man on October 19, 2009, 10:50:04 pm

yes you are right, they can not play each other in the same bracket  but also you are wrong....two teams of the same seed can play each other only in the championship game.

Your answer is correct, but its a trick question because the game is in little rock.

Absolut

People the playoffs are two weeks away. Let's get this thing jumping. I think Im a little off on my east seeding. I will redo my bracket. East fans don't let us southies scare yall off. At least W. Memphis and Jonesboro look like they have a chance.

42 trap works too

I bet that will be close (your playoff picture).

I think Parkview and Mtn. Home may be switched from what you have.  There is a real good chance at a 3 way tie for the 3 seed if I am not mistaken.

Also, given Texarkana recent production problems, the Sheridan Texarkana game may move things around a bit.

Even though it is 2 weeks away it is still fun to talk about and try to figure out how much sleep I will get the night before deer season.

ricepig

Quote from: Absolut on October 26, 2009, 12:17:04 pm
People the playoffs are two weeks away. Let's get this thing jumping. I think Im a little off on my east seeding. I will redo my bracket. East fans don't let us southies scare yall off. At least W. Memphis and Jonesboro look like they have a chance.

Lots of different scenarios on seeds still to be decided, most will wait until the last Thursday/Friday. I don't think the players will change, but maybe their dance partners, looking forward to see what the matches will be.

bentley03

Looks good to me. I'm not even going to pretend that I know much about the south teams or their seeds. I do know that they're very good and probably over all better than the east. But the east is very top heavy so things could get exciting. I'm ready for the playoffs too.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on October 26, 2009, 12:17:04 pm

Let me add this: The only way WC would lose the 3 seed is by
losing to either Sheridan or Benton and that is very unlikely to
happen. Even a 3 way tie with PB and Texarkana would still
result in WC getting the 3 seed because they have wins over
both the Zebra's and the Razorbacks.

42 trap works too

I thought they use 'tie breaker points' to eliminate the 1st team in a 3-way tie... and then look at head to head on the remaining two to see who wins tie breaker.  Or has that changed?  In that scenario WC could drop out even though they beat them.  Least that is the way I understood and I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me. 

But with all that said, WC is most likely going to win out.

Absolut

October 26, 2009, 04:23:34 pm #15 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:37:58 pm by Absolut
Ok I modified my bracket. The east #3 seed is a mess, but I think Parkview will get the #3 seed, Marion 4th, M.Home 5th and Searcy 6th. Basically I just went with the RPS predictions this week for the east and guessed for the week 10 games.

I think the updated bracket is a little more interesting. The Marion/Texarkana game would be a tossup. The winner however might pose more trouble than expected to El Dorado. Texarkana played el dorado to a 14-13 game earlier this season and Marion runs a style of offense that might pose problems to el do like they did last year in the playoffs. W. Memphis and pine bluff could have a rematch in the second round. Even though WM would be the favorite I wouldnt want to face pb for my first playoff game.

GuvHog

October 26, 2009, 04:30:24 pm #16 Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:31:57 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: 43 trap works too on October 26, 2009, 03:44:23 pm
I thought they use 'tie breaker points' to eliminate the 1st team in a 3-way tie... and then look at head to head on the remaining two to see who wins tie breaker.  Or has that changed?  In that scenario WC could drop out even though they beat them.  Least that is the way I understood and I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct me. 

Not if one team has wins over the other 2 teams in a 3 way
tie, head to head is allways first. Now if each of the 3 teams
has beaten one but lost to the other THEN points come into
play.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on October 26, 2009, 04:23:34 pm
Ok I modified my bracket. The east #3 seed is a mess, but I think Parkview will get the #3 seed, Marion 4th, M.Home 5th and Searcy 6th.

Who does Mountain Home and Searcy play in week 10?

Absolut

Searcy plays at Mountain Home in week 10. I predict M. Home will beat Searcy. Both might finish 3-4, but M. Home would have the tiebreaker I think.

GuvHog

Quote from: Absolut on October 26, 2009, 04:41:33 pm
Searcy plays at Mountain Home in week 10. I predict M. Home will beat Searcy. Both might finish 3-4, but M. Home would have the tiebreaker I think.

If Mountain Home were to upset Parkview this week and then
beat Searcy they would get the 4 seed leaving Parkview at
5 and Searcy at 6. However, if Searcy were to beat Mountain
Home in week 10 then you have a 3 way tie for 4th.

42 trap works too

Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2009, 04:30:24 pm
Quote from: 43 trap works too on October 26, 2009, 03:44:23 pm

Not if one team has wins over the other 2 teams in a 3 way
tie, head to head is allways first. Now if each of the 3 teams
has beaten one but lost to the other THEN points come into
play.

You are 100% correct, unlike some others, I have no problem admitting when I am wrong.  But I have lots of practice........I'm married.

II TIE‐BREAKING PROCEDURE
A. In conferences with three teams that have identical conference
records:
1. If one team has beaten the other two teams, the winner
is the first qualifier for the play‐offs.

patspain

Quote from: Absolut on October 26, 2009, 04:23:34 pm
Ok I modified my bracket. The east #3 seed is a mess, but I think Parkview will get the #3 seed, Marion 4th, M.Home 5th and Searcy 6th. Basically I just went with the RPS predictions this week for the east and guessed for the week 10 games.

I think the updated bracket is a little more interesting. The Marion/Texarkana game would be a tossup. The winner however might pose more trouble than expected to El Dorado. Texarkana played el dorado to a 14-13 game earlier this season and Marion runs a style of offense that might pose problems to el do like they did last year in the playoffs. W. Memphis and pine bluff could have a rematch in the second round. Even though WM would be the favorite I wouldnt want to face pb for my first playoff game.

you hit the nail on the head with that one..but i think marion will be #2 seed..if we beat jonesboro and jax. we really want that 1st round bye then a easy playoff game then to go play eldo! rematch?? ;) ohh yeaaa!

Absolut

Im really going to be paying attention to that Jonesboro/Marion game. Either way WC will be waiting on one of those teams.

bentley03

Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2009, 05:03:25 pm

I think that MH will beat Parkview and Searcy. So the seeds from the east should look like this:

1. West Memphis
2. Jonesboro
3. Marion
4. Mountain Home
5. Parkview
6. Searcy

But it's still way too early to acurately predict the seeding. That is just my opinion.

Pitch DR

Could someone please list the current standings and conference records on each side? 

42 trap works too

October 28, 2009, 01:08:55 pm #25 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:11:01 pm by 43 trap works too
was going to post a link but FF blocked the link.  sorry pitch

ricepig

October 28, 2009, 01:11:27 pm #26 Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:35:46 pm by ricepig
Beat me to it, did you get a pitcher hurt up here last Friday? Try three forums up.it has all the records and points.

onegearruss

Quote from: bentley03 on October 27, 2009, 07:52:53 pm
Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2009, 05:03:25 pm

I think that MH will beat Parkview and Searcy. So the seeds from the east should look like this:

1. West Memphis
2. Jonesboro
3. Marion
4. Mountain Home
5. Parkview
6. Searcy

But it's still way too early to acurately predict the seeding. That is just my opinion.

What is Parkviews record ?

AHS06

6-A SOUTH CONFERENCE

District Season

Team W-L PF-PA W-L PF-PA

El Dorado 5-0 154-53 8-0 220-92

Lake Hamilton 4-1 144-106 6-2 213-175

Watson Chapel 3-2 162-100 6-2 273-134

Pine Bluff 3-2 171-76 4-4 274-177

Sheridan 2-3 69-137 3-5 117-247

Arkansas High 2-3 117-115 2-6 166-224

Benton 1-4 55-162 1-7 75-288

J.A. Fair 0-5 45-168 1-7 83-252

LAST WEEK'S RESULTS

Pine Bluff 42, Sheridn 6; Watson Chapel. 30, Arkansas High 6; El Dorado 28, Lake Hamilton 0; Benton 9, J. A. Fair 6

THIS WEEK'S GAMES

Pine Bluff at J. A. Fair (Thursday); Arkansas High at Lake Hamilton, El Dorado at Benton, Watson Chapel at Sheridan.

Majiqueâ„¢

A couple unexpected losses and this picture could really scramble up!

AHS06

No the South seeding is pretty much set in stone.

1.  El Dorado
2.  Lake Hamilton
3.  Watson Chapel
4.  Pine Bluff
5.  Texarkana
6.  Sheridan

Majiqueâ„¢

Quote from: AHS06 on October 29, 2009, 10:55:48 am

1.  El Dorado
2.  Lake Hamilton
3.  Watson Chapel
4.  Pine Bluff
5.  Texarkana
6.  Sheridan
Sure, if all goes as most expect.  But note the word UNEXPECTED, ie  El Do loses 2, WC loses 2, etc.  Extremely unlikely but man, wouldn't that makes things interesting!  :o

GuvHog

Quote from: AHS06 on October 29, 2009, 10:55:48 am

1.  El Dorado
2.  Lake Hamilton
3.  Watson Chapel
4.  Pine Bluff
5.  Texarkana
6.  Sheridan

Who does Texarkana play in week 10? Both Texarkana and Sheridan will
likely suffer losses tonight so week 10 could determine the 5 and 6 seeds.

shs_chick_02

texarkana plays sheridan next week

GuvHog

Quote from: shs_chick_02 on October 30, 2009, 01:40:21 pm

That's what I thought. So if both teams lose tonight then the winner
of that game will get the #5 seed. Correct??

42 trap works too

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2009, 02:11:18 pm
Quote from: shs_chick_02 on October 30, 2009, 01:40:21 pm

That's what I thought. So if both teams lose tonight then the winner
of that game will get the #5 seed. Correct??

my math tells me you are correct.

BudKilmer

Playoff Picture?

There you go.

Absolut

October 30, 2009, 10:46:18 pm #37 Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:48:54 pm by Absolut
Alright the seedings should be a little more clear after tonight. Texarkana beat Lake Hamilton 21-18. If only LH weren't playing LR Fair in week 10. WC could've had a shot at the #2 seed.

chiefsfan

East is still muddled

1  WM
2 Jonesboro

Then it gets fun

Parkview is 4-2 but plays West Memphis week 10  which puts them at 4-3

Marion and Searcy are both 3-3

MH is 2-4

Searcy plays at Mountain home    Marion plays at Jacksonville

If:  Mountain Home Beats Searcy

3   Parkview
4   Marion
5   Mountain Home
6  Searcy

If Searcy beats Mountain Home.  we have a 3 way tie between Parkview  Marion and Searcy.  Head to head is a triangle.     Then your seeds come down to the points,  which I dont have

bigtrout

IF WM beats Parkview and Searcy beats Mt Home...your 3 way tie scenario looks something like this...

Going into week 10 games, Parkview has 44 points, Marion has 39 points, and Searcy has 27 points. If Parkview loses to WM, they would still have 44 points. So...Marion would have to win by 6 or more to pass Parkview in tiebreaker points. Searcy looks screwed unless Marion just wins by 1, AND they win by 13 or more, AND WM beats PV.

I'm on my first cup of coffee this morning so check my math...PLEASE.

gatecrasher

...if you would have taken care of business against us (just wasn't gonna beat us) or Lake Hamilton (blew a 15 pt lead) then you wouldn't need any help would you? ;D

Absolut

That's ok because we like what the #3 seed has to offer. We get a home playoff game against a bottom feeder in the east and then play Jonesboro in the 2nd round. Remember we were a 5 seed last season and made it into the semifinals.

I've watched tape of the first WC/El Do game. We missed some opportunites on a couple of key drives. Some that could have given us a two touchdown lead. We outplayed yall in the first half and had the lead going in. This time we're gonna finish your butts off. Enjoy these last 3 weeks of El Dorado football Gate. Enjoy them. WC is on the horizon.

chiefsfan

Quote from: bigtrout on October 31, 2009, 08:35:46 am
IF WM beats Parkview and Searcy beats Mt Home...your 3 way tie scenario looks something like this...

Going into week 10 games, Parkview has 44 points, Marion has 39 points, and Searcy has 27 points. If Parkview loses to WM, they would still have 44 points. So...Marion would have to win by 6 or more to pass Parkview in tiebreaker points. Searcy looks screwed unless Marion just wins by 1, AND they win by 13 or more, AND WM beats PV.

Marion plays jacksonville.  they better win by 13 points

The question is what happens after the points are used to determine the 3 seed,  are they used again to determine the 4...or do those two teams revert back to a head to head tiebreaker?

Pitch DR

OK, so I know JAX has struggled, but is there no chance for an upset of Marion at home?  Bugs?  Because that could create one more interesting scenario.  A JAX upset combined with WM beating Parkview and Searcy beating MH would put Searcy as the #3 seed.  Correct?  Maybe not likely but possible.  Searcy can certainly play with and beat MH.  Could Marion stumble?  Could JAX rise to the occasion? 

Just the fact that this is a possibility, or a win over MH creating a possible three-way tie for third place for Searcy, says a lot about how hard the coaching staff and players have worked to turn the program around.  Congrats, gentlemen.  Keep fighting.

gatecrasher

You have no idea Absolut.....

We are NOT the same team yall faced on that tape. You may as well throw it in the trash....

You can't, and won't beat us.....

There is good news though....

You will be serious title contenders in 2010.....

.....in Class 5A......

These next two seasons (2009-10) belong to the El Dorado Wildcats in this classification.....

GuvHog

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on October 31, 2009, 11:12:57 pm
You have no idea Absolut.....

We are NOT the same team yall faced on that tape. You may as well throw it in the trash....

You can't, and won't beat us.....

There is good news though....

You will be serious title contenders in 2010.....

.....in Class 5A......

These next two seasons (2009-10) belong to the El Dorado Wildcats in this classification.....

If I were you, I'd worry about having to Play PB in their
stadium. They've seriously righted their ship and are a
strong possibility to ruin your perfect 6A South record.

gatecrasher

....their chances are in direct proportion with whether we sit our starters....

The perfect regular season is the only meaning this game has......

That and someone's chances of getting hurt.....

Stay tuned.....if Reed, Murphy, Jaq Miles (NEEDS to sit), etc sit after a couple of series, then that would be the ONLY way PB has a chance.....

Other than that, well, it won't be by 24 like last year but we'll win handily

AHS06

Quote from: gatecrasherfan on November 01, 2009, 04:40:06 am
....their chances are in direct proportion with whether we sit our starters....

The perfect regular season is the only meaning this game has......

That and someone's chances of getting hurt.....

Stay tuned.....if Reed, Murphy, Jaq Miles (NEEDS to sit), etc sit after a couple of series, then that would be the ONLY way PB has a chance.....

Other than that, well, it won't be by 24 like last year but we'll win handily
Dude PB played two close and lose by a combine score of 7 points to lh and wc. they came together against they are the pb team that was ranked 1st in preseason i cant wait to go back to eldo in 3 weeks.

bigtrout

Quote from: chiefsfan on October 31, 2009, 10:47:56 pm
Quote from: bigtrout on October 31, 2009, 08:35:46 am

Marion plays jacksonville.  they better win by 13 points

The question is what happens after the points are used to determine the 3 seed,  are they used again to determine the 4...or do those two teams revert back to a head to head tiebreaker?
In the case of a perfect 3 way tie...the top 2 in points are figured on the basis of head to head. Then, the loser of that is figured head to head against the other team. Example...
Lets say Marion (who currently has 39 pts) beats Jax by 13...that would give them 52 pts. Parkview has 44 already...Searcy has 27. The top 2 in pts would be Marion and Parkview. Parkview beat Marion so they are the #3 seed. Marion would then do head to head against Searcy. They beat Searcy so Marion gets the #4 seed. Searcy gets the #5 in that scenario.

So...here is the reality of where we are:
LR Parkview gets the #3 seed with a win over WM OR if they lose to WM (1) by Marion winning over Jax or (2) Searcy losing to Mtn Home........they finish the #4 seed if they lose to WM, Marion loses to Jax, and Searcy wins. They would tie only with Searcy and lose the head to head.

Marion gets the #4 seed in every scenario if they win. They cannot get the #3 because they lose the head to head with Parkview. If they lose and Searcy wins, they would get the #5. I think that is the only way they are not the #4.

Searcy can get the #3 by WM beating Parkview, Marion losing to Jax, and them beating Mtn Home. Under all other scenarios they finish the #5 seed. (as far as I can tell)

gatecrasher

AHS....just because they trashed yall doesn't make them a contender....

Face reality: the El Do team yall played last month is not the one you may see in 3 weeks....

You will not like the results.

And as far as this week, what part of "we may sit starters" do you not understand?

It's not etched in stone yet, but we need to be healthy in the playoffs.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas