• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Defensive Players

Started by 4th and Inches, September 13, 2009, 12:19:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

4th and Inches

Defense wins championships right? So who is the most complete defensive lineman, linebacker, and defensive back in the conference?

Valleysports

That's your first ever post? 
Just go ahead and tell us - who it is?

Smithian

Be nice, Valley. He had a good post in the other thread and usually if he had an agenda, he would have named someone.

I'll say for now the best defensive player in the conference is a linebacker for Har-Ber; Jacob Bundrick.

4th and Inches

Haha yes this was my first post, and if I knew the answer to the question I would not have posted it.  I have an extreme bias toward Har-Ber so that is why I did not say who I thought they were, but since you insist Valley...

Best Defensive Lineman: Eric Pearce, Har-Ber
Best Linebacker: Jacob Bundrick, Har-Ber
Best Defensive Back: Houston Pruitt, Har-Ber

I don't think it is any secret that the Wildcats have a stellar D, but I don't know enough about the rest of the teams in the conference to say with certainty that these are the best players.

Smithian

Har-Ber is dang good on defense this year, no doubt about it, and I agree they may have the top 3 impact players defensively in conference. I'll be interested how they do come 7A West time.

I will say, however, that Southside has two D-Lineman who can contend to being better than Pearce once that group gets it together upfront for the Rebs.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: 4th and Inches on September 13, 2009, 11:11:08 am

OK, so which one of the three would you happen to be?

Look everyone, the next 479BoyZ...

4th and Inches

No I am not one of them.  I wouldn't think that any of those 3 guys are selfish enough to post about themselves on this forum.  Earl, read what I wrote, especially the second sentence. I threw 3 names I knew up in the air for Valley and I thought I made it clear that I did not originally intend to answer my own question for lack of knowing. 

I am simply a high school football fan trying to start a discussion, I thought I was at the right place. 

Judging by Earl and Valley, I must be confused on the purpose of this website...

NameTaken

Quote from: 4th and Inches on September 13, 2009, 11:11:08 amBest Defensive Lineman: Eric Pearce, Har-Ber

You think the 3 best defensive players in the entire conference play at Har-ber? Wow....just wow.

Smithian

Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on September 13, 2009, 02:52:27 pm

Earl, I agree with him on each level. Pearce was the best nose Southside played all year, Bundrick pretty much killed Southside, and Pruitt is probably the best due to the lack of another headlining DB in the conference. Har-Ber is the best defensive team in the 7A for a reason at this point.

4th and Inches

Quote from: NameTaken on September 13, 2009, 03:33:54 pm<br />
Quote from: 4th and Inches on September 13, 2009, 11:11:08 amBest Defensive Lineman: Eric Pearce, Har-Ber<br />Best Linebacker: Jacob Bundrick, Har-Ber<br />Best Defensive Back: Houston Pruitt, Har-Ber
<br /><br />You think the 3 best defensive players in the entire conference play at Har-ber? Wow....just wow.<br />

Haha yes this was my first post, and if I knew the answer to the question I would not have posted it.  I have an extreme bias toward Har-Ber so that is why I did not say who I thought they were, but since you insist Valley...

I don't think it is any secret that the Wildcats have a stellar D, but I don't know enough about the rest of the teams in the conference to say with certainty that these are the best players.

NameTaken, Try reading the whole post before you comment.

Also, I didn't notice where you contributed any other names to this thread so that must mean you agree to some extent.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Smithian on September 13, 2009, 03:40:31 pm
Quote from: Earl is my Hero!! on September 13, 2009, 02:52:27 pm

Earl, I agree with him on each level. Pearce was the best nose Southside played all year, Bundrick pretty much killed Southside, and Pruitt is probably the best due to the lack of another headlining DB in the conference. Har-Ber is the best defensive team in the 7A for a reason at this point.

Not disputing the names at all. Just trying to unmask a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I would agree that Har-Ber is the best at this point. Bentonville has too many new faces, but has enough talent to keep folks honest.

Southside is probably in the top three, and if they get their act together offensively will make a lot of noise this season.

Who knows what the Rogers teams will have this season, and I don't think anyone knows how S'dale, F'ville, and N'side will look for sure...

NameTaken

Quote from: 4th and Inches on September 13, 2009, 03:43:22 pm
Quote from: NameTaken on September 13, 2009, 03:33:54 pm<br />
Quote from: 4th and Inches on September 13, 2009, 11:11:08 amBest Defensive Lineman: Eric Pearce, Har-Ber<br />Best Linebacker: Jacob Bundrick, Har-Ber<br />Best Defensive Back: Houston Pruitt, Har-Ber
<br /><br />You think the 3 best defensive players in the entire conference play at Har-ber? Wow....just wow.<br />

NameTaken, Try reading the whole post before you comment.

Also, I didn't notice where you contributed any other names to this thread so that must mean you agree to some extent.

I agree with Pruitt being the best DB.  But i'd say David Smart from Rogers could be better than Bundrick, and would say Gareth Booth, from Fayetteville, is.  Bentonville will have several good defensive lineman, as they always do, and I don't know much about the Fort Smith schools but Northside always has a good d-line and as Smithian said, there's a couple at Southside that will challenge him for that title.

Valleysports

I don't know Earl - 4 inches seems to be OK!  I'm afraid you're taking too many casulaties trying to unmask 479?  However, I can tell you for a fact - 479 is watching you!  8)

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Valleysports on September 14, 2009, 11:49:51 am
I don't know Earl - 4 inches seems to be OK!  I'm afraid you're taking too many casulaties trying to unmask 479?  However, I can tell you for a fact - 479 is watching you!  8)

All in good fun Valley, All in good fun...

Nitro

News flash Westies............... The best defense in 7A this year is out of the Central.  Michael James is back in the game playing one of the LB spots in a 5/2 defense for Cabot that has yielded just 41 yards rushing in the first two games.  The Bryant twins Joe and Powell both play in the secondary and run 4.4.  Logan Spry a junior safety (nasty) is someone who everyone will know well before long.  He is big, runs 4.5.  He is a stud kicker.  I don't think any of his kick offs have been returned yet.  He hit a 46 yd FG vs Jax.  The Cabot defense looks like they finally have all the athletes to compete at playoff time.

Smithian

I bet a lot of money that Cabot defense will be statistically be the best until playoff time.

I wish Southside could play 7A Central offenses every week.

spoof1530

Nitro, you failed to mention probably the best linebacker in the state in Spencer Neuman. The Defense is very good this year, but's lets be honest, they have not seen a good team yet, and probably will not until Conway. Still yet, their Defense did give up the least amount of points last year, and they have all of their key players back, so they should be very good. They have the team to go deep in the play-offs.

OUSoonersOU

Ive heard about Houston Pruitt. Anyone know his stats and if he has received any instate offers?

Cabotfan

Quote from: Nitro on September 14, 2009, 05:33:34 pm
Michael James is back in the game playing one of the LB spots in a 5/2 defense for Cabot that has yielded just 41 yards rushing in the first two games.

...and was probably the reason SH scored after pass interference was called on him around the 10 yard line.

Logan Spry a junior safety (nasty) is someone who everyone will know well before long.  He is big, runs 4.5.  He is a stud kicker.  I don't think any of his kick offs have been returned yet.  He hit a 46 yd FG vs Jax.

Don't really want to say anything negative. He is doing a GREAT job. But I don't know what games you've been watching. He had one returned almost to midfield against Jville, and 2 returned against SH. Granted the return guy for SH should have let them go into the endzone. They would have been better off.

But like I said he is doing a great job! I've never heard a player get as big a cheer on kickoffs!!

Ballfan2

Ive heard about Houston Pruitt. Anyone know his stats and if he has received any instate offers?
[/quote]

He has verbally committed to play for the Razorbacks....in baseball.

OUSoonersOU

cabotpantherman

Just ask har-ber qb about spencer neuman in last year playoff game.

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Smithian on September 14, 2009, 05:42:26 pm
I bet a lot of money that Cabot defense will be statistically be the best until playoff time.

I wish Southside could play 7A Central offenses every week.

Ouch!

raisingkane

September 15, 2009, 12:27:09 am #23 Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:32:11 am by raisingkane
southside played a central offense the FIRST week... before they were "beaten down" by all the "great" west teams... didn't fare so well either did they?
think about it...

and  don't get me wrong. i think that if there was any defense in the state that cabot couldn't handle, or any offense in the state that cabot's defense couldn't handle, it would be har-ber...
as for the rest of west teams, there is no doubt in my mind cabot's defense could handle them and their defenses could not stop cabot's offense.

Smithian

Quote from: raisingkane on September 15, 2009, 12:27:09 am
southside played a central offense the FIRST week... before they were "beaten down" by all the "great" west teams... didn't fare so well either did they?
think about it...
Southside played badly against the only Central team worthy of comparing themselves to the West offensively.

What happened in Southside's two games against Catholic last year? Hm...

I agree that Har-Ber would destroy Cabot, though. I also bet pretty much every West school minus the Rogers schools and Springdale could beat Cabot in the playoffs...

Valleysports

Quote from: Smithian on September 15, 2009, 01:05:43 am
I also bet pretty much every West school minus the Rogers schools and Springdale could beat Cabot in the playoffs...

Well put your money where your mouth is - I'll open the wager at $100 - who's holding the money? PM me the details!

If ya'll played bad against Catholic, you'll play horrible against Bryant and Cabot this year.  ;D

Ty

News flash Westies............... The best defense in 7A this year is out of the Central.  Michael James is back in the game playing one of the LB spots in a 5/2 defense for Cabot that has yielded just 41 yards rushing in the first two games.  The Bryant twins Joe and Powell both play in the secondary and run 4.4.  Logan Spry a junior safety (nasty) is someone who everyone will know well before long.  He is big, runs 4.5.  He is a stud kicker.  I don't think any of his kick offs have been returned yet.  He hit a 46 yd FG vs Jax.  The Cabot defense looks like they finally have all the athletes to compete at playoff time.
I'll take the Har-Ber and Bentonville defenses over Cabot.

BigCatFan

Let me start with an apology for my first post being a huge homer comment,but I have to point out that in the playoff game with Cabot last year Bundrick was the leading tackler for both teams with 19 tackles. You might want to look at the film from Cabot,s last two playoff losses before claiming superiority over Har-Ber's defense.

Valleysports

Quoteevery West school minus the Rogers schools and Springdale
That's Northside, Southside, Fayetteville, ....

Earl is my Hero!!

Quote from: Valleysports on September 15, 2009, 09:00:33 am
Quoteevery West school minus the Rogers schools and Springdale
That's Northside, Southside, Fayetteville, ....

...Har-Ber, and Bentonville

pig souy

its not that hard to get alot of tackles against Cabot's offence.

raisingkane

Southside played badly against the only Central team worthy of comparing themselves to the West offensively.

I agree that Har-Ber would destroy Cabot, though. I also bet pretty much every West school minus the Rogers schools and Springdale could beat Cabot in the playoffs...

please defend southside's terrible play some more.
i gave credit where credit is due, har-ber is an excellent football team.
southside, this year (i'm not talking about last year or next year) deserves none.
no excuses, catholic beat southside...
they ARE better.

cabot could handle fay, springdale, southside, northside, and both rogers schools.
i haven't seen bentonville this year, but cabot could give them a run for their money.

Smithian

Quote from: raisingkane on September 15, 2009, 12:40:11 pm
please defend southside's terrible play some more.
Gladly.

Little Rock Catholic on defense basically went bat crazy with stunts, twists, and everything. Yes, every team in the 7A has these, but no team is like Catholic when it comes to this and Catholic just went nuts and apparently on every single play went crazy. Fort Smith Southside on offense wants it to be a pure power game, and LRCatholic more than any team in the 7A does not allow that to happen upfront. Southside didn't capitalize on mistakes nor did they get going in the power game. Southside will make adjustments just like they did last year where after a close call Week 1, Southside pretty much rolled in the playoffs.

Southside defensively against Catholic just crapped themselves, no excuses. Could not get off the field. Combine their poor execution with playing Taylor Bartlett and the result isn't too suprising. Thankfully not many teams out there have a QB who will run around all day and SMARTLY make plays.

Southside also had, I think, 4 turnovers.

Catholic came out, played a better game, punched Southside in their mouth a couple times, and capitalized. Yes, they won and that's all that matters. Nothing will change that fact, but I'm not going to tell you they're the better team. Thankfully this game happened in Week 1 and not in the playoffs or this would all be moot. If you really think Little Rock Catholic has a better team than Southside when both are performing at a high level, then that is a false reality you've created very much in line with your identity crisis associated with the 7A Central having been the lesser conference by far since the 7A was created.

If you think Cabot could "handle" Southside, Northside, FHS, and Springdale... Haha, oooook. You might beat them considering anything can happen on a Friday night, but "handle"?   :-\

raisingkane

i'm under the impression that FS Southside is incapable of performing at a "high level" this year.
is that not what makes a team a good team or a bad team?
if the detroit lions performed at a "high level" they would have actually won something last year...

i use the term handle as in, can beat them. i didn't say "manhandle" or "destroy" because they are all respectable football teams no matter what. respectable teams don't get manhandled...

7AFBFAN

The Southside team I have seen the first two weeks has every chance to perform at a high level. Don't let the Catholic game or even the Conway score sway you too much. In both games there were guys in position to make big plays. They will get it all figured out soon and will send at least one Central team home in the playoffs. Count on it.

raisingkane

i'll give you one central team. heck, i'll say they'd send most home, but not all of them.

Valleysports

7AFBFAN

I guess we both know if it isn't Southside sending them home it will just be another West team. I wonder what the average number of games the Central has played in the 7A playoffs? With rounding I will have to guess 1 on that one. I guess that means one and done.  ;D Catholic may change that this year though, they are fielding a very good team.

raisingkane

thats what i'm saying.
i give credit where credit is due.
notice my post from earlier. i give a lot of credit to har-ber and bentonville.
fayetteville looks a little weak this year, but maybe thats just me. rogers never really has much to brag about, springdale hasn't looked too hot in a couple of years.
i can go on with my reasons, but i think you get the picture.

7AFBFAN

I agree with what you are saying... Northside will find out if they are any good this Friday. They are kind of young so I don't see them being able to beat Catholic on the road. If they do they may make some noise in the West.

raisingkane

i agree completely.
nothing wrong with a rebuilding year. or two...

Nitro

Quote from: BigCatFan on September 15, 2009, 08:02:00 am
Let me start with an apology for my first post being a huge homer comment,but I have to point out that in the playoff game with Cabot last year Bundrick was the leading tackler for both teams with 19 tackles. You might want to look at the film from Cabot,s last two playoff losses before claiming superiority over Har-Ber's defense.

Spencer Neumann for Cabot had 20 documented tackles in that Harber game vs a team that passed quite a bit.  In 2007 the LB for Catholic logged 27 tackles vs the Cabot dead T.  No apology needed. 

7AFBFAN

Northside has enough back that it is hard to consider them rebuilding but they do have some young guys too.

mack

Quote from: raisingkane on September 15, 2009, 12:27:09 am
think about it...

Smithian,  I respect your opinions, but I think you are a little clouded by the great success that the West has had in it's lengthy domination of the 7C.  It's almost as if you think the "worm will never turn".  It will.  There will come a time when some 7C teams will be as good as the top 7W teams, both offensively and defensively.  I'm not saying that it will be this year, but who knows?  Cabot and Catholic with Russellville and Bryant not far behind, may be good enough this year to reverse the trend.  We'll see. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas