• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Camden Fairview vs Magnolia officiating

Started by The A-Team, October 06, 2018, 01:01:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The A-Team

I think the refs went for the record on throwing flags. Lol

Youngsta71701

Quote from: The A-Team on October 06, 2018, 01:01:51 am
The worst officiating I have ever seen. They did all they could to keep Magnolia in the game. Does anyone have an official count on how many penalties we had?

razorcardsfan11

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 08, 2018, 08:39:45 am
The worst officiating I have ever seen. They did all they could to keep Magnolia in the game. Does anyone have an official count on how many penalties we had?
On my way home from the game the radio said Camden had 34 flags and magnolia 17

Youngsta71701

Quote from: razorcardsfan11 on October 08, 2018, 09:25:21 am
On my way home from the game the radio said Camden had 34 flags and magnolia 17
That's ridiculous!! Has to be some kind of record...

RamFan06

I thought the CFV - Lakeside game was bad. There had to have been 400 yards in penalties that night. Do these crews just follow The Cards around?

JessieP

When I first saw this thread's title I thought we were going to get an earful of some whiney fan. If there were actually 51 penalties then that is ridiculous, why would the refs do that? Do they think the people in the stands came to see them? 51 flags is so over the top, they took the game away from the kids and made it about them.

incogneto

The officiating in Arkansas as a whole is awful.  They are constantly trying to keep certain teams in the game or trying to keep games from getting out of hand when a team gets up.  There are games I have watched where teams have to run towards a certain sideline because the officials are so cowardly that they let the opposing coach make the calls for them.  There is one crew in particular that is horrendous about that.  God help you if Bo Hembree is across from you because that crew is  more worried about trying to get Bo to like them than they are worried about doing a good job calling the game.

The A-Team

Quote from: JessieP on October 08, 2018, 04:56:17 pm
When I first saw this thread's title I thought we were going to get an earful of some whiney fan. If there were actually 51 penalties then that is ridiculous, why would the refs do that? Do they think the people in the stands came to see them? 51 flags is so over the top, they took the game away from the kids and made it about them.
No not whiney at all. Just wondering was I the only one who had never seen anything like that in the history of any football game.

JessieP

Quote from: The A-Team on October 08, 2018, 07:45:53 pm
No not whiney at all. Just wondering was I the only one who had never seen anything like that in the history of any football game.

I have never heard of 51 penalties in one game, on any level. I would say the AAA needs to look into that but we all know the AAA acts on nothing. Wait, I take that back. They had committee meetings and discussions for 3 years and decided to raise the price of tickets from 4 to 5 dollars. They must be exhausted.

PA Dad

I try to never criticize the officials.  They have a tough job and do it to the best of their abilities.  I think it is rare for officials to try to influence the outcome (except for those dang Batesville officials!).

But, 51 penalties is ridiculous.  If they really threw 51 flags they deserve criticism.

JacketFan

That is a unbelievable amount of penalties. In the Wynne valley view game friday, the officials flagged Wynne all night, they did not throw a flag against VV until very late in the 4th quarter.  51 penalties has to be a record.

football_referee

Hey here is a original thought maybe there were 51 fouls in the game and the crew was man enough to call the game right. I can say this i or my crew did not work this game, and I have no ideal who the crew was.  I would like to see the game film and see what was actually called. I do have knowledge of a College game in Arkansas a few year back probably 20 years now were 115 fouls were called. Yes you read right 115. 110 were called before the opening kickoff see the visiting team went to midfield and danced on the home school logo.  And of course the home team took the matter into their hands and a big  brawl took place.  Once everything settled down the officials got a program and issued everyone that was listed a unsportsmanlike conduct foul. The game was played and the officials said after the brawl it was the best played and behaved game that they have every witnessed. The joke around the league was that ever team needed to start the game with USC. The game did not go unnoticed the league supervisor of officials and the Referee got a call first thing Monday morning from the NCAA wanted to know if it was a typo or did they actually have 115 fouls   Now back to the high school game 51 fouls did the game last until after midnight?  I can not picture my crew calling that many fouls. I hate it if we have over a dozen in a game. There are things that officials can do to try to prevent this from happing. Preventive officiating talking to the teams letting them know you are there and watching. Did the foul effect the play? If not would could probable pass on calling that foul and talk to the players letting them know that you saw it,  my crew and I  never pass on calling a safety foul, (clips, chop blocks, PF facemask roughing fouls). We may not see all of them but the ones we do there is a flag on the ground.  Did the foul give a advantage to the team committing foul or put the offended team at a disadvantage?  It not about the  quantity of the foul but the quality of the foul.
I can tell you all this no matter what you do on the field as a official 50% of the people are happy with you 50% are going to be mad at you and 50% of the people are going to be mad no matter what, you do they are just mad at the world.
I would say that the majority of the crews you see in the state are good but they are Human and make mistakes, and unfortunately like most  professions there some bad ones that gives the good ones bad names
The bad ones will eventually weed themselves out.
Do officials ever cost a team a game?  No and here is why there are several factors, Coaches calls the wrong play, fails in the game plan, wrong player in the game, players dropped passes missed Pat's missed field goals missed assignments officials being in the wrong position, and here is the one I dislike the most is miss applying the rules or make up a rule or see it on Saturday or Sunday and apply it to the NFHS
So there is more then one factor that may cost a team the game

PA Dad

Quote from: football_referee on October 08, 2018, 10:18:09 pm
Hey here is a original thought maybe there were 51 fouls in the game and the crew was man enough to call the game right. I can say this i or my crew did not work this game, and I have no ideal who the crew was.  I would like to see the game film and see what was actually called. I do have knowledge of a College game in Arkansas a few year back probably 20 years now were 115 fouls were called. Yes you read right 115. 110 were called before the opening kickoff see the visiting team went to midfield and danced on the home school logo.  And of course the home team took the matter into their hands and a big  brawl took place.  Once everything settled down the officials got a program and issued everyone that was listed a unsportsmanlike conduct foul. The game was played and the officials said after the brawl it was the best played and behaved game that they have every witnessed. The joke around the league was that ever team needed to start the game with USC. The game did not go unnoticed the league supervisor of officials and the Referee got a call first thing Monday morning from the NCAA wanted to know if it was a typo or did they actually have 115 fouls   Now back to the high school game 51 fouls did the game last until after midnight?  I can not picture my crew calling that many fouls. I hate it if we have over a dozen in a game. There are things that officials can do to try to prevent this from happing. Preventive officiating talking to the teams letting them know you are there and watching. Did the foul effect the play? If not would could probable pass on calling that foul and talk to the players letting them know that you saw it,  my crew and I  never pass on calling a safety foul, (clips, chop blocks, PF facemask roughing fouls). We may not see all of them but the ones we do there is a flag on the ground.  Did the foul give a advantage to the team committing foul or put the offended team at a disadvantage?  It not about the  quantity of the foul but the quality of the foul.
I can tell you all this no matter what you do on the field as a official 50% of the people are happy with you 50% are going to be mad at you and 50% of the people are going to be mad no matter what, you do they are just mad at the world.
I would say that the majority of the crews you see in the state are good but they are Human and make mistakes, and unfortunately like most  professions there some bad ones that gives the good ones bad names
Do officials ever cost a team a game?  No and here is why there are several factors, Coaches calls the wrong play, fails in the game plan, wrong player in the game, players dropped passes missed Pat's missed field goals missed assignments officials being in the wrong position, and here is the one I dislike the most is miss applying the rules or make up a rule or see it on Saturday or Sunday and apply it to the NFHS

See my post above.  I agree that officials rarely decide the outcome of a game.

But there is some discretion involved.  Holding could be called on 50% of plays.  It is not.  Why?  Because the hold did not effect the outcome of the play.

If the officials call every possible penalty even if the infraction doesn't effect the outcome then the discretion is abused.

But, I still come down on the side of the officials.  Officials get booed for good calls and that's just wrong.  I sure don't want that job.  And I guarantee that the critics couldn't do nearly as good a job.

JessieP

Well said. I agree that over the course of a season the Arkansas high school refs do one heck of a job, Do they miss calls? Yes, but so do NFL replay officials. I totally concur with your ending point. Vince Lombardi once said he has never played in, coached, watched or even heard about one single game where one play determined the outcome. The outcome is always a result of every play played. 

youhavenoidea

I have noticed in the last few years that the officiating crews are hit and miss.  Both with knowledge of rules and actual calling of rules.  Not a fan of the holding call on the opposite sideline that has no bearing on play on other side of field...I've seen that 2-3 different times this year...never understood how the side judge or back judge can make a call that is not in their zone...to me you have an area/zone to watch, how are you able to make a call somewhere else?! Chances are you're not watching your zone and you want to be involved in the game

Grond

When I have coached, one of my comments to my players was "adjust to the officials" or "play to the officials". Officiating is like cooking: everyone has their own particular flavor.

It seems that today's youth athletics is more focused on developing PLAYERS than developing a TEAM. The result is that some athletes simply never learned to adjust their style of play to unusual situations.

It would be interesting to see what all those penalties were. Man, did the game last 5 hours?  ::)

Youngsta71701

October 09, 2018, 12:46:30 pm #16 Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:52:23 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: PA Dad on October 08, 2018, 08:26:55 pm
I try to never criticize the officials.  They have a tough job and do it to the best of their abilities.  I think it is rare for officials to try to influence the outcome (except for those dang Batesville officials!).

But, 51 penalties is ridiculous.  If they really threw 51 flags they deserve criticism.
And they need ice on their shoulders lol. Man I hope neither one the them tore a rotators cuff. ;D

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Grond on October 09, 2018, 11:58:58 am
When I have coached, one of my comments to my players was "adjust to the officials" or "play to the officials". Officiating is like cooking: everyone has their own particular flavor.

It seems that today's youth athletics is more focused on developing PLAYERS than developing a TEAM. The result is that some athletes simply never learned to adjust their style of play to unusual situations.

It would be interesting to see what all those penalties were. Man, did the game last 5 hours?  ::)
It was a long drawn out game with no flow at all. Trust me.

Youngsta71701

Serious question. Do you think that some of the rules change too much or that there are too many rules that's why it seems like the officiating gets worse every year? Or not enough experienced refs?

football_referee

While I may not agree with some of the rule changes it does not stop me from studying the rules and enforcing them in a game. This is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Opinions are like rears everybody has on and most stinks. Some officials want to officiate but don't want to put the effort in to learning the game. They watch tv on Saturday and think the rules are the same. Some officials stay well past their time. 1 is they don't want to give up the game. 2 is there is not enough new officials coming up to work games.

AT

There was a mistake in locking this by the way. Moderator on phone error accidentally pressed something, everyone was tame, good conversation.

RabAlumni

My Sophomore year in '99 we played @ P.A. and we had over 30 penalties called on us.  I believe P.A. had 4 if I recall, yet even after we had a few TD's called back for erroneous penalties we still ended up winning the game.

browning_gold_12

These guys were horrible. I witnessed someone meet them headed off of the field at the end of the game and tell them they did good trying to keep Magnolia in it and it was a shame the Panthers couldn't do their part as well. Then asked them if they had to give the money back when their team still lost...

STBruin

Quote from: RamFan06 on October 08, 2018, 04:39:27 pm
I thought the CFV - Lakeside game was bad. There had to have been 400 yards in penalties that night. Do these crews just follow The Cards around?

If there were 2 different crews and Camden was flagged a bunch...could it be that they are doing something to deserve it? I have watched a few high school games in my time...and here recently DBs and outside LBs like to grab a hold of WRs instead of playing defense and moving their feet. And the big boys on the OL, do like to grab a hand full of jersey from time to time. I am not saying that this is in fact the truth...but if 2 different crews threw a bunch of flags...maybe its not all on the officials.

PapaHog

Okay, we are talking about the officiating, but let's talk about CF offense putting up 630+ yards. Wonder what the total yardage could have been minus the penalties.

bighogman

Quote from: The A-Team on October 06, 2018, 01:01:51 am

I can promise you, the flags that were thrown were deserved!!! There could have been even more!! The officials in this game did not care who won, much less how many flags were thrown. They wanted the game to be over and return to their homes as quickly as possible !! Most fans have nothing but a strong bias for their team and believe a ref is trying to cheat!! It's just the opposite. Refs try not to throw a flag because it stops the game and takes longer to get off the field. Throwing 51 flags was the last thing they wanted to do. Ever!!!!! If some of you think it's so easy, suit up and start officiating!!!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bighogman on October 26, 2018, 10:52:08 pm
I can promise you, the flags that were thrown were deserved!!! There could have been even more!! The officials in this game did not care who won, much less how many flags were thrown. They wanted the game to be over and return to their homes as quickly as possible !! Most fans have nothing but a strong bias for their team and believe a ref is trying to cheat!! It's just the opposite. Refs try not to throw a flag because it stops the game and takes longer to get off the field. Throwing 51 flags was the last thing they wanted to do. Ever!!!!! If some of you think it's so easy, suit up and start officiating!!!
So all refs are created equal and think exactly alike? I doubt it...Carry on.

bighogman

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 26, 2018, 10:56:25 pm
So all refs are created equal and think exactly alike? I doubt it...Carry on.

I'm not saying that. I just know this crew. What a wise and interesting comment you have posted. You contribute nothing and probably know as much.

The A-Team

I hear you but 51 penalties! Really! You can get 60 every game if you choose. You can call holding every play if you choose. Maybe this crew just chose to. Oh yeah and we could go eat at a restaurant and the food be terrible but that doesn't make me want to be a cook.

bighogman

Quote from: The A-Team on October 27, 2018, 08:49:02 am
I hear you but 51 penalties! Really! You can get 60 every game if you choose. You can call holding every play if you choose. Maybe this crew just chose to. Oh yeah and we could go eat at a restaurant and the food be terrible but that doesn't make me want to be a cook.

I guess they should've just ignored all the crap that was going on and just lose control of the game. The penalties they called were obvious and easy calls. I'm through on this subject.

JacketFan

Quote from: bighogman on October 27, 2018, 11:25:58 am
I guess they should've just ignored all the crap that was going on and just lose control of the game. The penalties they called were obvious and easy calls. I'm through on this subject.
No, you aren't done on the subject, this topic was two weeks old and u decide to create an account and bring it all back up.  So, mr. Bighogman, I am throwing a flag on you for illegal use of the keyboard.   ;D ;D ;D

The A-Team

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bighogman on October 27, 2018, 08:14:42 am
I'm not saying that. I just know this crew. What a wise and interesting comment you have posted. You contribute nothing and probably know as much.
Dude I've been a referee so I know exactly what you're talking about. The truth is you can call a lot more penalties that could be called and you could let some penalties go that really weren't that bad. Depends on your preference. My preference is to let the kids play. If it's not obvious I'm not calling it. And I have to contributed to this board for years how bout you, newby?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: JacketFan on October 27, 2018, 11:35:33 am
No, you aren't done on the subject, this topic was two weeks old and u decide to create an account and bring it all back up.  So, mr. Bighogman, I am throwing a flag on you for illegal use of the keyboard.   ;D ;D ;D
Lol sounds like a spoiled brat too. I didn't like that call so I'm going home and I'm taking my ball with me lol. ;D ;D ;D

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas