• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best in 7A

Started by DuckyDon, June 19, 2018, 10:36:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DuckyDon

June 19, 2018, 10:36:16 am Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 09:09:51 am by DuckyDon
what are your thoughts on who will rise to the top in 7A next year?

Rob Van Winkle

The state championship will run through central Arkansas between NLR and Bryant.

tmycjy

I agree with those pick of NLR and Bryant I also would put cabot in the mix because he retire from coaching I think the kids will go ve it all they got for him but one last time

Yellowcake

Counting out the west isn't very smart considering the sheer dominance of the 7 A over the last umpteen years.

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 03, 2018, 11:20:53 pm
Counting out the west isn't very smart considering the sheer dominance of the 7 A over the last umpteen years.
I understand what you are saying, and I'm a 7A West fan, but the reality this year is NLR and Bryant are the teams to beat based on what they have returning. Make no mistake there are still very good teams in the West and as everyone knows there are always a couple who peak right before the playoffs.

HeberFan

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on August 04, 2018, 08:44:27 am
I understand what you are saying, and I'm a 7A West fan, but the reality this year is NLR and Bryant are the teams to beat based on what they have returning. Make no mistake there are still very good teams in the West and as everyone knows there are always a couple who peak right before the playoffs.

Bryant can get it done.

Razorback Red

It's prob a 5-team race.  I would tend to think NLR or FHS would be the faves, with Bville, Bryant and West right behind them.  Just my opinion, but I have to see Bryant take that next step and get to the Rock before putting them as a favorite. 

Nobody is talking about FHS and they have a scary-good QB.  Typically when FHS has that type of QB, we all know they are extremely tough. 

sportsguy80

Quote from: Razorback Red on August 10, 2018, 05:00:27 pm
It's prob a 5-team race.  I would tend to think NLR or FHS would be the faves, with Bville, Bryant and West right behind them.  Just my opinion, but I have to see Bryant take that next step and get to the Rock before putting them as a favorite. 

Nobody is talking about FHS and they have a scary-good QB.  Typically when FHS has that type of QB, we all know they are extremely tough.
I also agree with this prediction. I'm wondering if any dark horse team will emerge to join the pack. I may check out Fayetteville and Springdale scrimmages next week to gain more insight. Glad it's that time of the year again.

businesstron

Quote from: Razorback Red on August 10, 2018, 05:00:27 pm

I'm pointing towards NLR, West and Bentonville being the favorites then Bryant and Fayetteville in the second tier.  I wouldn't be surprised if Fayetteville breaks through.  My only concern with them is they didn't have much of a running game and they lost their top two receivers. 

Yellowcake

Was at the PA v Bryant game. Bryant has some horses. They have a good shot to be in the thick of it at the end.

AirWarren

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 16, 2018, 10:31:16 pm
Was at the PA v Bryant game. Bryant has some horses. They have a good shot to be in the thick of it at the end.

Ole Buck is a good coach.

Grizzlyfan

So what was up with Greenwood putting it on Fayetteville last night like a yard dog? 

AirWarren

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 17, 2018, 09:12:15 am
So what was up with Greenwood putting it on Fayetteville last night like a yard dog? 

It's Greenwood.....lol

STBruin

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 16, 2018, 10:31:16 pm

I agree, Bryant has some horses and a TON of potential...but only winning against PA by 10 with 7 turnovers...doesnt impress me...PA is down, nothing else to say other than that.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: STBruin on August 17, 2018, 10:12:51 am
I agree, Bryant has some horses and a TON of potential...but only winning against PA by 10 with 7 turnovers...doesnt impress me...PA is down, nothing else to say other than that.

Come on.  You really think Bryant would pass the ball 10 times in a row in a regular season game?  When every time the starters ran the ball, they gained huge chunks of yards and/or touchdowns?  Bryant knew they could run at will so opted to work on the passing game.  They ran just enough to keep the lead.  PA took advantage of this by bringing the house and disrupting things.  I will agree that our passing game definitely needs fine tuning, though.

IAFLAR7

Quote from: Hornet-Hawg on August 17, 2018, 11:27:07 am
Come on.  You really think Bryant would pass the ball 10 times in a row in a regular season game?  When every time the starters ran the ball, they gained huge chunks of yards and/or touchdowns?  Bryant knew they could run at will so opted to work on the passing game.  They ran just enough to keep the lead.  PA took advantage of this by bringing the house and disrupting things.  I will agree that our passing game definitely needs fine tuning, though.
It's a scrimmage. Problem is, that's the way Bryant treats it & PA approaches it likes it's a real game.

STBruin

Quote from: Hornet-Hawg on August 17, 2018, 11:27:07 am

I completely understand that. And it is a scrimmage, but when you get 7 turnovers and only win by 10....that could be problematic in the 7A. All I am saying.

STBruin

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 17, 2018, 12:20:15 pm
It's a scrimmage. Problem is, that's the way Bryant treats it & PA approaches it likes it's a real game.

True, it is a scrimmage. How does Bryant treat it as a scrimmage but PA doesn't? What is the differences?

Yellowcake

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 17, 2018, 12:20:15 pm

with all due respect, this may be the most uninformed post I have ever read on here. I spent the entire game on the Bryant sidelines. If you think beating PA wasn't important to them, you have either lost your mind or know nothing about which you speak. I am going with the latter. The Bryant kids wanted to win very badly, and understandably so, especially considering the past two years, including the 60-7 beat down PA put on them 2 years ago.

STBruin

Quote from: Yellowcake on August 17, 2018, 04:57:55 pm
with all due respect, this may be the most uninformed post I have ever read on here. I spent the entire game on the Bryant sidelines. If you think beating PA wasn't important to them, you have either lost your mind or know nothing about which you speak. I am going with the latter. The Bryant kids wanted to win very badly, and understandably so, especially considering the past two years, including the 60-7 beat down PA put on them 2 years ago.

I was there too...Bryant players were not treating it like a scrimmage, not one bit.

AirWarren

Bryant and PA would be a great non conference every year.

PA Dad

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on August 17, 2018, 09:12:15 am

In 2011 PA embarrassed Fayetteville in the benefit game.  Fayetteville won the 7A championship.  Don't count them out because of a blowout in the scrimmage.

Hornet-Hawg

Quote from: STBruin on August 17, 2018, 05:22:20 pm
I was there too...Bryant players were not treating it like a scrimmage, not one bit.

Both sides of this discussion have a point. The PLAYERS were not treating it like a scrimmage but the coaches always do. Im not saying the coaches dont want to win but they do not treat it like a regular game.They dont even mention PA until the day before the scrimmage. It is Benton all day, every day in practice and meetings. They use the benefit game to work on what the team needs to work on. The players remember the previous games, however, and definitely had a little extra pep in their step.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Hornet-Hawg on August 18, 2018, 06:40:49 am
Both sides of this discussion have a point. The PLAYERS were not treating it like a scrimmage but the coaches always do. Im not saying the coaches dont want to win but they do not treat it like a regular game.They dont even mention PA until the day before the scrimmage. It is Benton all day, every day in practice and meetings. They use the benefit game to work on what the team needs to work on. The players remember the previous games, however, and definitely had a little extra pep in their step.
And to add to that, we couldn't wait to have full contact and compete against someone other than our teammates during our high school days. Coaches want to see what works and hope for no injuries while the players are competing for playing time and possible bragging rights along the way. I think we all can agree that scrimmages may lead to confidence builders for the season.

Brian G

Different coaches take different approaches.  I do think you can glean some things but can't draw conclusions.  Some coaches think winning any and everything is critical to establish an attitude that carries forward.  Some are more into getting players attention earlier and that can be by not going all out even if the players are unaware.

7 on 7, scrimmages, benefit games and (for some) non conference games are all exhibitions to get ready for the real season(conference, playoffs).

I'm not saying they don't play to win the early stuff, but I do think play calling, player pairing and getting reserves exposed to some hard truths play a part.

IAFLAR7

August 18, 2018, 01:28:25 pm #25 Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:57:12 pm by IAFLAR7
Quote from: PA Dad on August 17, 2018, 08:59:40 pm
In 2011 PA embarrassed Fayetteville in the benefit game.  Fayetteville won the 7A championship.  Don't count them out because of a blowout in the scrimmage.
That's the whole point of all this. These are scrimmages - nothing more. Some teams have specific objectives and some, like PA, treat these like they are trying to conquer the world & act like this is how real games would play out.

STBruin

Quote from: IAFLAR7 on August 18, 2018, 01:28:25 pm
That's the whole point of all this. These are scrimmages - nothing more. Some teams have specific objectives and some, like PA, treat these like they are trying to conquer the world & act like this is how real games would play out.

so are you saying if Team A beats Team B by 60 points in the scrimmage, that if they play an actual game...that Team A will win?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas