• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Dead Period

Started by spoof1530, May 01, 2018, 01:37:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spoof1530

With all of the Travel Ball or Legion Ball in the summer, as well as early morning or after school practices for the players, I would like to see the AAA go to a dead period during Spring Break for the kids. This would mean no games, no practice, no coaching at all during this week. All it takes is to go and watch the games during the end of the season, and you will see a bunch of worn out kids. Additionally, it would allow for the families to go have a Spring Break together where possible. This break could give the players and coaches a much needed break, and have them mentally and physically fresh to finish the season.

Yes, it would eliminate all of those Tournament trips to Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana or any other destination, but the ability to get them some rest that week outweighs any Tournament they would go to.

Thoughts?

bearfan

spoof1530

dirtbagbaseball

Quote from: spoof1530 on May 01, 2018, 01:37:46 pm
With all of the Travel Ball or Legion Ball in the summer, as well as early morning or after school practices for the players, I would like to see the AAA go to a dead period during Spring Break for the kids. This would mean no games, no practice, no coaching at all during this week. All it takes is to go and watch the games during the end of the season, and you will see a bunch of worn out kids. Additionally, it would allow for the families to go have a Spring Break together where possible. This break could give the players and coaches a much needed break, and have them mentally and physically fresh to finish the season.

Yes, it would eliminate all of those Tournament trips to Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana or any other destination, but the ability to get them some rest that week outweighs any Tournament they would go to.

Thoughts?

Interesting, the only worn out teams that I've seen over the course of the past 2 weeks or so from the games I've been to have been the teams that are getting worn out record-wise....

Take a week out of a season that is already VERY short?  No thanks.

bulldog

So Dead Period during Thanksgiving & Christmas break also????  Don't think so.  Spring break is not a reason as you say that there are worn out kids. 

spoof1530

The season is already as long as Football, but has 3 times as many games. With doing they're school work, as well as have a little balance in their life, it's a little much. Admittedly, it isn't going to change, but it needs to be addressed.

RabidWolf

With a lot of teams opening conference play the Monday following spring break, theres no way this would work.

spoof1530

Why not? Plenty of time to get back and get a couple of practices in before the conference games start. It could work if they wanted it to work. But again, it will never happen.

ricepig

Quote from: spoof1530 on May 01, 2018, 08:00:56 pm
Why not? Plenty of time to get back and get a couple of practices in before the conference games start. It could work if they wanted it to work. But again, it will never happen.

It will never happen because there is a limited time period to get your 22 regular season games and 2 tournaments. If you're going to practice, you might as well get some of your games in, right? So, you wish to push games further into the season so you can go on vacation?

TheSpecial

Other states it isn't uncommon for good teams to play 40+ games. Some of the kids here in Arkansas, this is it for them. Play as much as they can. 15-18 year olds recover quite quickly.

ZoneBuster

So just as you start getting in the groove of things baseball wise you take a week off? Players would need to do a lot of work on their own, especially pitchers to stay in game shape.

blue4hire

Not only do I disagree with this, I will go even further and say the dead period that we already have should be moved....at least for the spring/summer sports like baseball and softball.

Redwolves8526

Quote from: blue4hire on May 02, 2018, 11:25:35 am
Not only do I disagree with this, I will go even further and say the dead period that we already have should be moved....at least for the spring/summer sports like baseball and softball.

The dead period is set up perfectly for football. Having different dead periods for different sports would be problematic.

blue4hire

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on May 02, 2018, 12:25:50 pm
The dead period is set up perfectly for football. Having different dead periods for different sports would be problematic.
Exactly my point....it is set up perfectly for football at the expense of baseball.

DoSimpleBetter

I can't express how asinine it would be if the AAA were to implement this proposal. (They won't, as I know very few coaches who would support it.) No games and no practices means pitchers are responsible on their own for throwing their  bullpens...which likely isn't going to happen. Taking a week off right as the season gets going after basketball is done would be a net negative for everyone, especially small schools. I've never once watched postseason baseball and thought that the kids looked fatigued to the point that the quality of play is diminished.

theoutsiders

If there was going to be a baseball dead period it should be in Sept/Oct time frame. Let the kids rest from summer ball before high school is getting ready to ramp up. Also the June/July dead period is the dumbest thing ever for baseball players. Most are able to work around it, but it feeds directly into showcase baseball.

southarkdaddy

I don't agree with AAA implementing dead periods in the mid season of any sport.

ZoneBuster

Also if kids are getting worn down with the high school season they better not have any aspirations of playing at the next level lol.

T-Bone

Play the sport and compete or find something else to do with your time.  No need in mid season dead period.  The only thing AAA or anyone may want to do is consider better pitching limits.  Arms are young.  The max limits seem high to me.  But I am only a dad that enjoys the game and hates it every time I see a young player down with an injury due to over use. 

Nomad1324

Quote from: T-Bone on May 03, 2018, 09:38:09 pm
Play the sport and compete or find something else to do with your time.  No need in mid season dead period.  The only thing AAA or anyone may want to do is consider better pitching limits.  Arms are young.  The max limits seem high to me.  But I am only a dad that enjoys the game and hates it every time I see a young player down with an injury due to over use.

What would you put as the max limit? Because rarely would you have anyone finish a game and more often in small classifications especially, you'd see a lot of beer league softball scores as teams run out guys who can't throw one across the plate.

OB11

The pitch count limits in place now are almost exactly the same as Little League pitch count rules. Only real difference is it is one less rest day than Little League. So if a little leaguer threw over 61 pitches they would need 3 days of rest versus a high school kid that is only required to have 2 days of rest. I don't think the pitch limit is too high right now.

T-Bone

Quote from: Nomad1324 on May 04, 2018, 08:16:40 am
What would you put as the max limit? Because rarely would you have anyone finish a game and more often in small classifications especially, you'd see a lot of beer league softball scores as teams run out guys who can't throw one across the plate.

Good question and I can't answer it.  I love to watch a good pitcher on the mound.  Even more than a good hitter or fielder.  When on, they control the game.  When off, or team has a bad day of errors pitch count is jacked.  We know in college or higher they will do far more but in high school they are growing and many are not in good enough shape to press the 110 mark very often.  Many do due to limited pitchers on most teams.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas