• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Har-Ber Transfers to Springdale High

Started by soccerhawg, April 24, 2018, 02:17:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

game on

Im a little confused, how do you know if there is any type of rule violation in the school newspaper unless you have read it first.  You know Nancy Pelosi, "pass it so you can find out what's in it". 

Brian G

Maynard G Krebs

^^seems to me the author is prepared to retire soon

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on December 11, 2018, 01:42:50 pm
^^seems to me the author is prepared to retire soon
Not hardly. She has several years left to be a positive leader at SHS

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on December 11, 2018, 01:51:46 pm
Not hardly. She has several years left to be a positive leader at SHS
Good thing

footballfan-tastic

December 12, 2018, 10:33:45 am #205 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:05:34 pm by footballfan-tastic
Quote from: B.G. on December 11, 2018, 01:22:44 pm
Now take 15 min and read another viewpoint.    https://50yearsandcounting.blog/2018/12/10/pound-of-flesh-context-the-blurb-society-and-the-weaponization-of-the-school-newspaper/

Somebody had a lot of time to spill their feelings.  Unfortunately there are people on both sides of every issue and usually a million different views on who is right and who is wrong.  I'll only address a couple of issues since i don't think my views will change any minds.
Coach Clark.  He has done a good job at getting SHS back to being competitve.  He made a huge PR error in staying at the parent party in which swearing and burning of HBHS gear was practiced.  His choice to go was fine, but to stay and get himself identified on the video was bad.  He should have excused himself when it got ugly.  That would have been a better message to his players, his community.
As for the article in HBHS.  I'm a supporter of teacher/administrator supervision.  I have little problem with prior review as long as that's what it is, just review to make certain standards are met.  I'm all for freedom of speech but responsible freedom of speech.
I do take a bit of issue with the "rich school" claim for HBHS. The free/discounted lunch count at HBHS is 48% and SHS is 70%.  A difference but honestly 50% is high.  It just shows the community, entire community of Springdale is not as priveleged as many believe.  Yes many do well, but many do not and there are disadvantaged students at both schools.
I applaud the good fight that many teachers fight daily.  I commend the work that coaches do.  The problem is the unfortunate high level of importance placed on athletics.  It's a big deal, was and is to me still but the anger that people seem to come to over a Friday night game is often disturbing.  That a group of students and their parents were so unhappy with a coach or program that they collectively chose to transfer isn't new and not necessarily even a bad thing.  What is bad is that the process was obviously not clearly and openly followed.  The fault there is on everyone concerned.  If you want to leave and have reasons that fit the rules established by the school district and the AAA, so be it.  File your papers, transfer your children and do the grown up thing and stay quiet unless there is a reason to go to the administrators to complain. Airing dirty laundry in the press, even the school press is hard on everyone and did it serve a purpose?  I doubt it.
Most of those kids will graduate this school year I believe and hopefully they all had good experiences after the transfer.  I understand at least one transferred back to HBHS.  I could be wrong on that.  Problem now is you have helped to widen the divide in your city over high school athletics.  You have also opened the door to open transfers whenever you don't like a coach or teacher.  I love the concept of local schools and the school community.  I think its a great bond for those who attend their local school.  Moving across town to attend the "better" school is a shame and every possible attempt should be made to make schools as equal in opportunity as possible. 

JacketFan

Quote from: B.G. on December 11, 2018, 01:22:44 pm
Now take 15 min and read another viewpoint.    https://50yearsandcounting.blog/2018/12/10/pound-of-flesh-context-the-blurb-society-and-the-weaponization-of-the-school-newspaper/
Very interesting viewpoint, and it really explains a lot about the mentality of that community, and kudos to her on writing it.  Give that teacher a medal.

FootballFan00

gameoflife

HarBer has some work to do to get back in the hunt for a conference and state title.  Most things run in cycles.

game on

The west has changed some in the last few years, a little more balance on the top end  but overall fallen off in comparison to the east.

Truthfully

Quote from: game on on December 19, 2018, 03:17:35 pm
The west has changed some in the last few years, a little more balance on the top end  but overall fallen off in comparison to the east.
Things do tend to go in cycles. Fan base, coaches and administration changes all figure into the equation. Har-Ber will come back, but it will take some different mind set in coaching and still be all for a community of students for ALL of Springdale.

CageMonsterNWA

CageMonsterNWA

In a bizarre turn of events, a group of Springdale High students, including some talented football and basketball athletes, began attending Har-Ber High School this week.

Let the fireworks begin...again.

Brian G

theoleballcoach

Guarantee there will not be any fireworks this time. Kids have been moving to Har-Ber from Springdale for years, and the administrators never cared. It was only when they were moving the wrong direction last year that the stuff hit the fan. This will tell the general public if the district really holds both schools on the same regard, or if there really is a red-headed step child.

CageMonsterNWA

Quote from: theoleballcoach on March 09, 2019, 05:50:41 pm
Guarantee there will not be any fireworks this time. Kids have been moving to Har-Ber from Springdale for years, and the administrators never cared. It was only when they were moving the wrong direction last year that the stuff hit the fan. This will tell the general public if the district really holds both schools on the same regard, or if there really is a red-headed step child.

Guarantees.  Hmm.  Anyway, for the record, I don't think these players were recruited. I do think, however, the district has been at fault for allowing athletes to transfer for atheletic purposes under the disguise of transferring for academic purposes.  It's a sham.  Players, parents, and coaches need to learn to work through their differences and stop asking for (and receiving) special treatment when they face some adversity or simply can't get along. Sometimes you have to play for a coach you don't like. Just like with adults—sometimes you have to work for a boss you don't like.

Brian G

TheDale

Preach

Quote from: theoleballcoach on March 09, 2019, 05:50:41 pm

Justlikegoodfootball

I wish the 7A west would not allow any transfers within the conference. Its been going on for years and does nothing good for the sport. Second coaches shouldn't be able to encourage kids to transfer and yes it has been going on for years.

Harry Rex Vonner

Athletics transfers (mainly by using a so-called change of address) have been happening across America for decades, and it will continue to happen. There is nothing anyone in a free society can do to stop it. "Putting a stop to it" with local level tyrants would be disastrous, and using state level tyrants to achieve it would even be worse.

The reason this story is so interesting is the psych aspect - we can't turn away from getting a view of the narcissistic hypocrisy of Har-Ber screaming and yelling when they don't get their way, when they know they are guilty of much worse. When they even had a side-issue of an ineligible player during all this; ignored by the news stories.

The supposed Edward R Murrow moments for the HB school paper and the newspaper adviser are cringeworthy. A drama queen leading a little army of new entitled drama queens. I'm no fan of case law run amok (I'm a constitutional fan), but the very reasonable court case decision presented by one poster here defining the difference between college level newspapers and high school level, fell on deaf ears, because some on here are drama queens themselves, and refuse to let go of their infantile arguments.

Making the bonfire into an issue is another example of a Har-Ber temper tantrum.

STBruin

And I heard one of the Springdale to Har Ber transfers...transferred back to Springdale for the Spring semester... what do you want to bet they thought Springdale would have the better baseball team...

Rob Van Winkle

April 06, 2019, 10:46:23 am #221 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:49:02 am by Rob Van Winkle
Quote from: STBruin on April 05, 2019, 10:21:07 pm
And I heard one of the Springdale to Har Ber transfers...transferred back to Springdale for the Spring semester... what do you want to bet they thought Springdale would have the better baseball team...
You heard wrong. No one has transferred back to either school with the exception of one who went to SHS last spring then went back to HB during the summer.

Brian G

We do have transfers from SHS to HB this Spring for basketball with the word one will be playing FB as well.

Additionally, the HB basketball has several new looks.

Such is life.

STBruin

April 06, 2019, 08:39:01 pm #223 Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:43:28 pm by STBruin
Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on April 06, 2019, 10:46:23 am
You heard wrong. No one has transferred back to either school with the exception of one who went to SHS last spring then went back to HB during the summer.

My apologies

5tooldad

Hey Rob,

Was that you or your family who had the anniversary announcement at the game tonight? 

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: 5tooldad on April 22, 2019, 10:53:07 pm
Hey Rob,

Was that you or your family who had the anniversary announcement at the game tonight?
Yes it was! Appreciate the BV fans for making that happen!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas