• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interested in a little small school basketball history?

Started by MICHAELSPAPPY, November 15, 2017, 11:28:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MICHAELSPAPPY

Here is the actual video of the 1954 Indiana state championship game, won by little Milan High School, that was the basis for the movie Hoosiers. Back then, all the teams in the state were in the same tournament, regardless of size. This game is still one of the biggest stories in Indiana sports history.

http://michaelspappysualrblog.blogspot.com/2017/11/interested-in-little-high-school.html

SackAttack

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on November 15, 2017, 11:28:14 am
Here is the actual video of the 1954 Indiana state championship game, won by little Milan High School, that was the basis for the movie Hoosiers. Back then, all the teams in the state were in the same tournament, regardless of size. This game is still one of the biggest stories in Indiana sports history.

http://michaelspappysualrblog.blogspot.com/2017/11/interested-in-little-high-school.html
Ole Jimmy! hey we got a Jimmy Chitwood on here too. He aint been out to play much this season. Very quiet for some strange reason.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: rebelfan on November 23, 2017, 03:45:28 pm
In 1939, Ash Flat a Class B school was allowed to play in the Class A with bigger schools in the state tournament. In 1938, Ash Flat, Little Rock, Jonesboro and Pine Bluff were all in the semi-finals. Without checking I don't know who won the state in 1938, but the next year the same four were in the semi-finals again. This time Ash Flat won. Will have to check and see who they defeated and will post later. At that time the population of Ash Flat was probably less than two hundred people. The six foot eight star of the Eagles team, Gordon Carpenter, went on to play professionally. He was a member of the 1948 USA Olympics basketball team which won the gold medal. I would say that there has never been a town that small that had a resident win an Olympic gold medal. Ash Flat may not have a school anymore but the Kelly green and white eagle will always fly high above the town.

An article I read about ash flat suggest the 1939 team was undefeated...

http://www.areawidenews.com/story/1525224.html

bluegrassboy75

November 28, 2017, 10:22:18 am #3 Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 03:29:17 pm by bluegrassboy75
I'm originally from Western Grove and my great-uncle played in two state semi final games.

In 1929 they lost to eventual state champs Little Rock in the semifinals 43-36. 
In 1930 they defeated Batesville 36-29 in the semifinals and defeated Jonesboro 31-20 to become state champions.
BTW, this was when Arkansas only crowned one state champion.

In 1949, my grandfather was state runner-up in Class B (established in 1939).
The Warriors defeated Hazen in the first round 46-39, Branch in the second round 66-47 and then Southside-Bee Branch in the semifinals by the score of 61-45.
The Warriors fell to the undefeated Arkansas School for the Deaf (who defeated West Memphis 53-42 in the semifinals) by the score of 54-49.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Quote from: bluegrassboy75 on November 28, 2017, 10:22:18 am
The Warriors fell to the undefeated Arkansas School for the Deaf (who defeated West Memphis 53-42 in the semifinals) by the score of 54-49.

ASD must have had some very good players. Were any of them able to play college ball with the hearing handicap?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas