• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6a Playoff Predictions

Started by Lets Go 5, April 04, 2017, 03:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sssuperpantherfan2

Glad to hear she's ok, RV is very competitive and we enjoy the rivalry.

sssuperpantherfan2

Hope everyone has safe travels!  Be exciting to see all the schools play. I'll be helping out somewhere on the fields but most enjoying the games!

Buck183

Looks like we are down to four.  Three of the four girl's teams are exactly who I thought would be there. The fourth one I could have went many different ways on. Well deserved by all. 

I expect to see some good soccer tomorrow in the two semi final games on the girl's side of things.  Russellville lost a couple starters in their match today that could affect them. Sincerely hated seeing that. Hoping they can still bring the heat. 

Boy's games both look like they could be prize fights on paper.  I don't anticipate a blowout in any of these matches. 

Find it interesting that we continually see the same schools almost consistently in the running when the season starts coming to a close. 

Buck183

On the girl's side of things it looks like we have a rematch from last year.  Dont know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Either way they both deserve it.

Lets Go 5

On the girls side. It's the two teams I figured all along would be there. Really no surprises there.
The boys though was a toss up and every game seems to be a fight to the death.
Going to be two great matches at the UofA next week.

Buck183

May 13, 2017, 07:10:12 pm #105 Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:54:27 pm by Buck183
Props to the Russellville girls today.  They took on a highly ranked and very tough opponent while being down two starters. Searcy seemed to be able to possess the ball a little better, but not by much. Russellville looked to be more physical in their play. The pace of the game seemed a little slower than what I'm used to seeing in a girl's match. Searcy seemed very timid on the outside when challenged by a defender. Almost scared to take a player on.

Hats off to the Russellville keeper, she's always on her game.  Definitely a player to respect at all times. 

chaoslord

Field level was very warm, might have been a fitness thing after playing multiple games. Agree completely with your analysis

Buck183

Quote from: chaoslord on May 13, 2017, 08:01:31 pm
Field level was very warm, might have been a fitness thing after playing multiple games. Agree completely with your analysis

Yes, the field was warm. It was probably the warmest day we've played on all year. You can usually add 10 degrees to ambient temp at field level.  I saw one of our boys go to the bench during an injury timeout and pour ice water all over both his feet to cool them down. I had never seen that before.

Talked to him after the game. He said it just got to be too much.  Said it made a difference for him. 

jimmyt

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on April 20, 2017, 10:59:55 am
That doesn't sound right on the East. Mountain Home played the weakest schedule from what I can tell out of the 3 undefeated teams. Jonesboro went through the gauntlet compared to the other 2. The only common opponent those two have is Searcy and Jonesboro won 5-0 away and Mt. Home got them 3-0 at home. There's no good way of sorting this out but that's just my observation. I believe Hall has had a tougher schedule than Mt. Home.

I by no means support using Maxpreps as a crutch to defend this argument, but if you were to look at that as well, it's still 1. Jonesboro 2. Hall 3. Mt. Home

Hopefully AAA does something better than this in the future so you don't end up with 3 undefeated and deserving 1 seeds who get home field advantage in the conference tournament by way of a vote, which like it or not, could change the scope of the game considering the shortest drive for these 3 teams is about 2 1/2 hours.

Time to start giving Mtn Home boys a little more respect?? Where you at 6ASoccer?

Soccer11

Mountain home is good but still on how they scored in 45 seconds vs hall? Doubts

MDXPHD

Quote from: Soccer11 on May 15, 2017, 11:14:22 am
Mountain home is good but still on how they scored in 45 seconds vs hall? Doubts

What?

sportsnut99

Not making excuses for Searcy girls but they did have 8 starting Seniors that drove back for graduation after their game Friday then back to Siloam to play semi final match.  That will take something out of anyone.

Buck183

Quote from: sportsnut99 on May 15, 2017, 12:59:31 pm
Not making excuses for Searcy girls but they did have 8 starting Seniors that drove back for graduation after their game Friday then back to Siloam to play semi final match.  That will take something out of anyone.

I heard about that.  Crazy. 

MDXPHD

There are conflicts with graduation and soccer (and baseball/softball) each year. I'm not sure why there has been no resolution to it. Searcy should expect their teams to compete for state each year and consider that when scheduling graduation.

sssuperpantherfan2

Quote from: sportsnut99 on May 15, 2017, 12:59:31 pm

I heard they were flown from the airport.  Did that change to driving?

sportsnut99

They were suppose to fly but the weather was too bad in Searcy so they had to drive.

6aSoccer

Quote from: jimmyt on May 15, 2017, 10:30:08 am
Time to start giving Mtn Home boys a little more respect?? Where you at 6ASoccer?

ok, I credit Mountain Home for doing so well. They executed their park the bus defense perfectly while sending a long ball counter. They got a good late goal on Hall and then a bogus penalty to tie the game. Luckily for them they are great in shootouts. Then in state they tried parking it against Russellville and got lucky once again on a penalty since they couldn't score without a penalty kick.

We all know what Mountain Home is. They execute that strategy with great defensive play. I don't see the strategy as a good one as you are too dependent on penalty kicks and praying your forward is faster/stronger and that the long ball works against multiple defenders with no help.

It's worked so far though so good for Mountain Home. Maybe they'll bring it home for the 6a East to keep it away from the west who is usually dominating them every time they play the east, but who knows. Soccer is a bit crazy this time of the year.

jimmyt

Bogus penalty? lucky to score a pk vs Russellville? I know you didn't see either of those.
Sounds like sour grapes to me...The point is, they are in the finals and Jonesboro isn't.

If you'll watch soccer on Saturday and Sunday mornings you'll see that same style of play (defend and counter) in the Premier League, Bundesliga, and La Liga. You hardly see a team like Jonesboro (Run and Gun) with a strong offense and weak defense. Mtn Home puts some of their best players on defense and have only allowed 8 goals all season. The beautiful thing about high school soccer is you can still win games with good defense when the regulation ends 0-0.

Coach Mattox has done a great job with his boys. This will be his 5th finals appearance in 9 years. He has had a strong club/rec presence in Mtn Home to thank for that but at the end of the day, coaching is less about X's and O's and more about can you get your players to play hard for you. He does that well.

I'm rooting for the Bombers this Friday. I hope they pull this one out to make you a little more bitter.

MDXPHD

Quote from: jimmyt on May 18, 2017, 08:45:51 am
Bogus penalty? lucky to score a pk vs Russellville? I know you didn't see either of those.
Sounds like sour grapes to me...The point is, they are in the finals and Jonesboro isn't.

If you'll watch soccer on Saturday and Sunday mornings you'll see that same style of play (defend and counter) in the Premier League, Bundesliga, and La Liga. You hardly see a team like Jonesboro (Run and Gun) with a strong offense and weak defense. Mtn Home puts some of their best players on defense and have only allowed 8 goals all season. The beautiful thing about high school soccer is you can still win games with good defense when the regulation ends 0-0.

Coach Mattox has done a great job with his boys. This will be his 5th finals appearance in 9 years. He has had a strong club/rec presence in Mtn Home to thank for that but at the end of the day, coaching is less about X's and O's and more about can you get your players to play hard for you. He does that well.

I'm rooting for the Bombers this Friday. I hope they pull this one out to make you a little more bitter.

He also has being in the 6A to thank...He has done a great job at MH though. I watched them play a few times this year, and I can't believe they are in the championship game. Congratulations to them.

Also, please don't say MH plays the same style as teams in the Premier League. They play solid defense then boot the ball to their forwards.

ArkansasSportsFan

Getting a little farfetched with the premier league comment but hey, I was wrong about how successful they would be in the playoffs. Hope they win, always root for the East in these games.

jimmyt

I didn't say Mtn Home defends and counters as well as the Premiere League teams but they do defend and counter. To your comment MDXPHD, they don't play kickball like you are referring. I have seen them play this year probably a lot more than you have. And at least they can identify their style of play. Most teams in Arkansas don't even have a true identity or probably couldn't tell you the style that they play.
Defend and counter is something that a coach has to be able to teach well and sell to kids. Mattox has done a good job of getting the kids to buy in to that system because its not always fun to do, but it works.

MDXPHD

Quote from: jimmyt on May 18, 2017, 12:32:43 pm
I didn't say Mtn Home defends and counters as well as the Premiere League teams but they do defend and counter. To your comment MDXPHD, they don't play kickball like you are referring. I have seen them play this year probably a lot more than you have. And at least they can identify their style of play. Most teams in Arkansas don't even have a true identity or probably couldn't tell you the style that they play.
Defend and counter is something that a coach has to be able to teach well and sell to kids. Mattox has done a good job of getting the kids to buy in to that system because its not always fun to do, but it works.

I've only seen them play a few times. You seem to be the only person on the board that thinks they somehow played this controlled, strategic style of soccer.

I will say that this works in 6A. However, I don't believe MH would be in the championship in any of the other classifications.

sssuperpantherfan2

Safe travels for everyone!

jimmyt

MDXPHD,

Now you're just talking out of your butt... Go compare scores. Mtn Home can beat Hall and Russellville but not Valley View, Dardanelle, Maumelle?

Take your negativity somewhere else..

MDXPHD

Quote from: jimmyt on May 19, 2017, 08:21:51 am
MDXPHD,

Now you're just talking out of your butt... Go compare scores. Mtn Home can beat Hall and Russellville but not Valley View, Dardanelle, Maumelle?

Take your negativity somewhere else..

Yeah, because the Hall game wasn't a fluke at all lol.

Not sure why you named Maumelle or VV. But I don't think they could beat VV, Dardanelle, DeQueen, LRC, Hot Springs, Hamburg, or Warren.

You certainly don't really want to look at Mt. Home's schedule and their scores...it's not impressive other than the last second victory over Hall and then the shootout with Russ. I watched Mt. Home barely beat Batesville 2-1.

The 6A tournament is a joke. You get your bye, then you get another bye pretty much because you play a 4 or 5 and 6A is very top heavy...so really you have to beat one quality team and you're in the finals. Kudos to MH, but you're acting like they are just dominating everyone in the state. I just don't view it the same as you do. I hope they win because I like the titles being in the East, but I can't get behind your logic about them.

jimmyt

I never said they were dominate, I said they deserve respect that they haven't been getting from people who posted earlier on saying they should be a 3 seed in the conf tournament. They went undefeated through the entire season. I know they can and have beat those teams you have mentioned in previous years with similar teams. You can call the Hall win a fluke, thats what a loser would say too.

Stop drinking the hatorade. You don't know what you're talking about.

MDXPHD

Quote from: jimmyt on May 19, 2017, 09:43:59 am
I never said they were dominate, I said they deserve respect that they haven't been getting from people who posted earlier on saying they should be a 3 seed in the conf tournament. They went undefeated through the entire season. I know they can and have beat those teams you have mentioned in previous years with similar teams. You can call the Hall win a fluke, thats what a loser would say too.

Stop drinking the hatorade. You don't know what you're talking about.

I'm sure they will get plenty of respect after they win the championship.

MDXPHD

This is exactly what happens when a team plays defense only and manages to luckily make it to the championship. 6A is so watered down it's not even fun to keep up with. These conferences need to be realigned in a major way.

B2 Stealth Bomber

Quote from: MDXPHD on May 19, 2017, 02:29:03 pm
This is exactly what happens when a team plays defense only and manages to luckily make it to the championship. 6A is so watered down it's not even fun to keep up with. These conferences need to be realigned in a major way.

So don't keep up with it.  Problem solved.  ::)

MDXPHD

Quote from: B2 Stealth Bomber on May 19, 2017, 02:43:44 pm
So don't keep up with it.  Problem solved.  ::)

Difficult not to when all of these conferences are entwined during the regular season.

Buck183

May 19, 2017, 04:11:44 pm #130 Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 04:41:21 pm by Buck183
First of all, congrats to both the Mt Home Bombers and Siloam Springs Panthers for a great season.  Hats off to both teams for outlasting the competition. 

I've watched this thread morph over the last few days about the Mt Home style of play.  Took it with a grain of salt and looked forward to watching what I expected to be a great soccer game.  Little did I realize what I was about to see.  I have watched a LOT of soccer over the last 11 years.  Hundreds of games, thousands of miles driven all over the south, never, ever, in my life have I seen a team put that much effort into not playing the game.  I've seen teams put 9, 10, and 11 players in the box before, but I've never seen a coach do everything he could to keep from actually playing soccer.  Substitutions every chance they got.  3,4, and 5 players at a time being substituted on the field.  Every minute or so, doing everything he could to keep the clock running and not play soccer.  There's no way any player in any sport can get a rhythm with their teammates with that much player turnover on the field.  It's simply impossible to expect anything good to come from it. 

It was amazing to watch the Siloam Panthers play possession soccer.  Heads up, in your face, keep possession of the ball, and keep firing at the goal.  We knew once we got one or two in that would force them to come out of their corner and play with the big boys.  They did exactly that, quit substituting and started playing ball. 

Unfortunate really.  Soccer is about playing the game and not KFTM.  Surprised these boys bought into this style all season. 

Lets Go 5

Mt Home coach subbed 3 time , 5 guys in one min.
It was like that the complete game. Not much soccer being played by that team. Really would had like to seen a game but it wasn't. 
Also the style they play when they got down. They didn't change at all. They stayed heavy D and didn't nothing at all about it. That's all on the coach really.

Siloam vs Russeville
That's always a great match up. You have to play out of your conference to play really any other teams worth it to get better.
You could tell though by Russeville injuries though it wasn't going to be a game this year just by luck it happens.

You can't argue about ref calls during these games because most calls went against Siloam in both games. So we can do away with that argument.

This is just my point of view.
My daughter is not #5 niether. thats simply an inside joke against the Bentonvile AD.  Russeville knows her well and even friends with her and others through social media.
I was shocked to hear this week but being the dad I don't hear as much. But both Siloam and Russeville girls are linked through social media.
They seem to respect each other very much. Prob from all the battles and 3 championship fights. Through these last years
Plus I'm sure some will end up being teammates at the next level.

Hot-to-trot

May 28, 2017, 12:57:13 pm #132 Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:45:47 pm by Hot-to-trot
Mtn. Home only played that style of play in 3 games this season  Hall, Russellville, and Siloam Springs.  They played a more offensive style this year than in some others I've seen.  They do sub a lot.  The coach subs new midfielders every 5-10 minutes in some games.  Some games more than others.  He says its to stay fresh.  He also says it slows the game down when they play a team who is dominating possession.  Those are the games he seems to sub the most.  I have mentioned to him that it breaks up rhythm to sub that much, he agrees but says he will take the trade off of being fresher when his team is having to defend more in a match and fatigues quicker.

I know him pretty good.  He has worked very hard to develop soccer in a community that doesn't support it.  The school doesn't seem to want it either although they jumped on board more this year with a new AD.  Mtn. Home is in the middle of nowhere.  The club can't consistently field travel teams because parents don't want to drive 2-3 hours every time they play.  They don't have the Hispanic influence that a Siloam or Russellville has.  They do a lot of academy stuff with not many kids.  Not many families move in.  The city does not keep up the fields, so that falls on the club.  The fields are embarrassing.  baseball fields are kept up nicely(baseball town).  The president of the club has recently resigned largely because of the lack of commitment.   Brian has spent a lot of time coaching youth kids but there just aren't enough people doing it.  The result of these factors is a small pool of experienced players to choose from for high school.  So the coaches have to recruit basketball and football players to fill in with the club kids, and develop them.  I think this is why you see them play the style they do against the better programs.  I think it's their only chance against the Siloam Springs of the state.

Congratulations to Siloam Springs on a great year.  It was fun to watch both of your teams play.  You have a fantastic club and high school program. 

Buck183

Quote from: Hot-to-trot on May 28, 2017, 12:57:13 pm
Mtn. Home only played that style of play in 3 games this season  Hall, Russellville, and Siloam Springs.  They played a more offensive style this year than in some others I've seen.  They do sub a lot.  The coach subs new midfielders every 5-10 minutes in some games.  Some games more than others.  He says its to stay fresh.  He also says it slows the game down when they play a team who is dominating possession.  Those are the games he seems to sub the most.  I have mentioned to him that it breaks up rhythm to sub that much, he agrees but says he will take the trade off of being fresher when his team is having to defend more in a match and fatigues quicker.

I know him pretty good.  He has worked very hard to develop soccer in a community that doesn't support it.  The school doesn't seem to want it either although they jumped on board more this year with a new AD.  Mtn. Home is in the middle of nowhere.  The club can't consistently field travel teams because parents don't want to drive 2-3 hours every time they play.  They don't have the Hispanic influence that a Siloam or Russellville has.  They do a lot of academy stuff with not many kids.  Not many families move in.  The city does not keep up the fields, so that falls on the club.  The fields are embarrassing.  baseball fields are kept up nicely(baseball town).  The president of the club has recently resigned largely because of the lack of commitment.   Brian has spent a lot of time coaching youth kids but there just aren't enough people doing it.  The result of these factors is a small pool of experienced players to choose from for high school.  So the coaches have to recruit basketball and football players to fill in with the club kids, and develop them.  I think this is why you see them play the style they do against the better programs.  I think it's their only chance against the Siloam Springs of the state.

Congratulations to Siloam Springs on a great year.  It was fun to watch both of your teams play.  You have a fantastic club and high school program.

Great explanation.  Thank you for the informative reply. Definitely helps paint a more understanding picture. Hopefully they will continue to grow and the community will grow in their appreciation for the sport.

Thank you for the kind words about the Siloam program.

Buck183

Quote from: Hot-to-trot on May 28, 2017, 12:57:13 pm

I was thinking about your description of his substitution pattern and why he does it.  After thinking about it for awhile, and watching the game again, I've come to the conclusion that your take on his reasons are likely off. 

It was VERY obvious watching him sub in the championship game that he wasn't doing it to keep mid fielders fresh.  When Siloam got up by 2 goals he quit substituting players are started playing soccer. That tells me the only reason he does it is to avoid having to play his opponent.  If he actually did it to keep them fresh he would have done it more the second half when they had to run after the ball more....he didn't do that. 

Either way, it was interesting to see. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas