• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

College Football Playoffs: National Championship Game: Alabama vs Clemson

Started by sevenof400, January 01, 2017, 12:07:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttinbuthogs

Hold that thought for 31 years, LOL!!!!   
Must confess I was concerned about the play of the Bama QB going in.  A poor performance for most of the game by the QB and losing Scarbrough at RB early just about killed any offense they were putting up.

Oh well.  There's always next year.

Lumberjackfan1978

May not be another 31 years Clemson seems to be pretty good the last couple of years.

mtindian42

Quote from: mack on January 09, 2017, 11:58:31 pm
You think you could have beaten Alabama?  You were the freaking JOKE of the playoffs this year.  You're the only team that didn't score a touchdown, heck, even a FG in the playoffs.
What in the world are you smoking?
Clemson is not 31 points better then the bucks. Auburn is not 53 points better then Arkansas. we played a team on a mission...they was not going to be denied...they proved that again last night! Good luck to your hogs next season. I'm shifting into basketball mode now...

Dabo said it best after our game. "It was just our night"

nuttinbuthogs

LRRandy

Quote from: Lions84 on January 09, 2017, 10:46:26 am
Uncle Nick will win another one tonite.
you mean pappa nick because he's your daddy. And no, he didn't win.

bdubyab60

Well I said Hurts wouldn't be able to win the game for Bama. Bama had a chance to close this thing out in the first half up 14 and with good field position. Instead they tried to let Hurts pass some and it killed the drive. Clemson then scores and takes all the momentum.

AirWarren

So glad Dabo and his team got their championship.

I yearn for Arkansas to experience that.

Valleysports

Quote from: mtindian42 on January 09, 2017, 11:21:26 pm
The bucks lost to a pretty good football team! That's the best team in the nation...

Haha - it was a great game!  That's the kind of Championship you want, down to the last second.

Had nothing to do with TOSU, other than verifying that those two teams are on an entirely different level.  TOSU - proud of losing 0-31 to the National Champions - lol - congratulations. 

mtindian42

Quote from: Valleysports on January 10, 2017, 12:49:10 pm
Haha - it was a great game!  That's the kind of Championship you want, down to the last second.

Had nothing to do with TOSU, other than verifying that those two teams are on an entirely different level.  TOSU - proud of losing 0-31 to the National Champions - lol - congratulations.
the bucks lost 12 guys to the NFL draft last season. The most by any Colloge team in the history of the draft. Had a lot of youth that had to step in and play some major rolls...and still won 11 games. Not proud to lose by 31 in any game much less the CFP... the great woody Hayes once said:  There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the heck  kicked out of you!

To say the bucks is not on Clemson and bamas level is just crazy... And I'm being nice about it!

The Ohio State is a Colloge football blue blood...

Dabo called the win over the bucks one of the biggest in his career. He also went on to say... "There tough man" there is no doubt in my mind those guys will be right back here again next year!

Much respect to Dabo... Cause he has much respect for the bucks! Go Bucks.

cuckoobird

That's just coach speak man. Surely you aren't that dumb to uphold everything a coach says about an opponent, well maybe you are...

Valleysports

Quote from: mtindian42 on January 10, 2017, 03:12:49 pm
the bucks lost 12 guys to the NFL draft last season. The most by any Colloge team in the history of the draft. Had a lot of youth that had to step in and play some major rolls...and still won 11 games. Not proud to lose by 31 in any game much less the CFP... the great woody Hayes once said:  There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the heck  kicked out of you!

To say the bucks is not on Clemson and bamas level is just crazy... And I'm being nice about it!

The Ohio State is a Colloge football blue blood...

Dabo called the win over the bucks one of the biggest in his career. He also went on to say... "There tough man" there is no doubt in my mind those guys will be right back here again next year!

Much respect to Dabo... Cause he has much respect for the bucks! Go Bucks.

This is the only reason I picked up on TOSU, a few years ago, here.  Dude take your TOSU to the TOSU Thread, this thread is about the Finals, not teams weeded out along the way.  TOSU Failed (0-31), it's officially over and history.  Done!  And oh boy are we so thankful for the playoffs, not too many years ago TOSU would've campaigned their way to the National Champion Crown.  Not in today's world!

LRRandy

Quote from: Valleysports on January 10, 2017, 04:01:14 pm
This is the only reason I picked up on TOSU, a few years ago, here.  Dude take your TOSU to the TOSU Thread, this thread is about the Finals, not teams weeded out along the way.  TOSU Failed (0-31), it's officially over and history.  Done!  And oh boy are we so thankful for the playoffs, not too many years ago TOSU would've campaigned their way to the National Champion Crown.  Not in today's world!
nah. They would have beaten an inferior Alabama team like they did in 2014,  #1 Alabama was exposed then and they got exposed last night. For all of the 5 star recruits you would think they would have some depth on defense. The Bama players tongues were on the gound as Clemson passed for over 400 yards on that " best eve" defense. Laughable. Seals the deal on how down the sec is. 1 team in the top 10 to end the year.

mtindian42

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 03:51:44 pm
That's just coach speak man. Surely you aren't that dumb to uphold everything a coach says about an opponent, well maybe you are...
your right coach speak is for sure out there. Guys like Dabo don't fall in to that tho. This is a strong man of God and I just don't think he would lie over something as simple as competition... His faith is more important to him then that lie. And no need for name calling. It's immature and childish.

Made

mtindian42

Quote from: LRRandy on January 10, 2017, 04:38:48 pm
nah. They would have beaten an inferior Alabama team like they did in 2014,  #1 Alabama was exposed then and they got exposed last night. For all of the 5 star recruits you would think they would have some depth on defense. The Bama players tongues were on the gound as Clemson passed for over 400 yards on that " best eve" defense. Laughable. Seals the deal on how down the sec is. 1 team in the top 10 to end the year.
i agree...true hog fans and sec fans in general agree as well. I don't understand why the bucks is such a target to hog fans... I've seen none of them kick bama after the loss... But many lined up to rip the bucks a new one after we lost to Clemeson. Are they so brain washed in Alabama football that they can't see bama has kicked the crap out of all them? Now they all have a chance to get back at Alabama for all the pain they have caused them... And what they do? Defend them...🤔 (Smh)

mtindian42

Quote from: Made on January 10, 2017, 04:47:19 pm
lol even a sunbelt team scored 24 on Clemson :)
lol I could counter that by saying they scored 30 on that same sunbelt team (Troy) and 35 against all world Alabama.😄 Dose Troy have a better D then Alabama?🤔

cuckoobird

Not sure how i name called but you thinking so does prove my conclusion

mtindian42

LRRandy

bdubyab60

Well at least that mediocre bama team scored on them. Crap Austin Allen passed for 400 yards on Bama too. What hurt Bama, for as good as they were is they didn't have a consistent passing game to keep the Clemson D honest. 99 plays is a lot of plays to be chasing a QB. So how mediocre does that make the mighty tOSU that they couldn't even manage a FG on Clemson. SEC mediocre, B1G mediocre just ranked better.

At the in of the day the ACC was the best overall conference. Winning the title and gong 10-4 in bowl games I believe. They also performed pretty well OOC during the regular season I believe

cuckoobird

You should shake your head, I expressed your state of being, which is a verb. Only nouns can be names. Surely they teach that at TOSU

mtindian42

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2017, 05:49:51 pm
You should shake your head, I expressed your state of being, which is a verb. Only nouns can be names. Surely they teach that at TOSU
what?

cuckoobird

cuckoobird

Dummy would be a noun (name), dumb is a verb, adjective or adverb.

mtindian42

cuckoobird

cuckoobird

sevenof400

But the problem with this theory is Ohio State -and the Big 10- were exposed even more.  However, that wasn't the game that was played last night.

Some random thoughts (in no particular order):

• Randy speaks of depth but I think he's missing the more important point.  Flash back to 2015 and Alabama wins the NC with Derrick Henry doing the heavy lifting throughout most of the season. Henry never went down with a significant injury and as a result, there wasn't a lot of playing time for RB's outside of Henry last year.  Fortunately, it did not matter last year.  This year, the offense never really got it going on a consistent basis throughout the year.  A lack of depth at RB proved to be the most significant achilles heel for Alabama when Scarborough went out of the game.  That lack of RB depth was never exposed (stressed) until last night - and it occurred at the worst possible time.
  • I can still hear the voice of Paul William (even today) when asked the question: What is the best thing about freshman?   Paul William replied: they become sophomores.  Clearly, Hurts hit the wall late in the season and never really recovered.  13/31 last night with 131 yards with 68 yards coming on one catch wasn't close to enough.  The passing game this year never really took off - mainly because it never had to.  Given Hurts mental makeup to this point in his career, it is likely he will learn from this and become a better QB but the question of depth rears its head here again - how did Alabama get to a point where it had to depend on a freshman QB?  After two consecutive years of senior QB's who both played well in the playoffs, Alabama now gets the benefit of a returning young QB with game experience.  It may be the case we are seeing Hurts where Deshaun Watson was a few years ago.
  • The Kiffin dismissal / Sarkisian promotion had no bearing on the outcome of this game given the realities noted above.
  • Something I have not seen is a box score / play by play recap of the game where you can tell the number of plays each player participated in.  In other words, I would like to see the number of snaps each Alabama defensive player was on the field for because I suspect Saban didn't go very deep substituting on the defensive end.  Given this was the closest game Alabama had all year, its obvious Alabama did not use the depth it had on the defense sufficiently in order to keep the starters fresher (longer).  As much complaining as there was about Kiffin's play calling (and rightfully so), there should be some scrutiny on the numbers of snaps played by player on the defensive side.
  • Yes, the loss sucks because of what the team was on the cusp of achieving.  However, should a remotivated and refocused Saban emerge from this, beware.

Iknewthemwhen

Bama certainly lacked some depth, some of that due to injuries but to say they they were inferior is a joke.  Yes, they lost at literally the last second, as many like to say, "we ran out of time".   The two biggest problems for Bama, freshman QB who doesn't have a great arm and is still learning and the loss of RB Scarbrough early in the game when the running game was having good success.  Those two things meant Bama had to win it on defense, which they came within a second of doing.  Healthy RB I think they win, experienced QB who could have contributed more than two times, a win for Bama.  Just my take on it. 

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: AirWarren on January 10, 2017, 06:46:01 am
So glad Dabo and his team got their championship.

I yearn for Arkansas to experience that.

Don't hold your breath, Arkansas is really not in the same league as those two right now and it doesn't look like we are moving in that direction.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 10, 2017, 07:16:32 pm
But the problem with this theory is Ohio State -and the Big 10- were exposed even more.  However, that wasn't the game that was played last night.

• Randy speaks of depth but I think he's missing the more important point.  Flash back to 2015 and Alabama wins the NC with Derrick Henry doing the heavy lifting throughout most of the season. Henry never went down with a significant injury and as a result, there wasn't a lot of playing time for RB's outside of Henry last year.  Fortunately, it did not matter last year.  This year, the offense never really got it going on a consistent basis throughout the year.  A lack of depth at RB proved to be the most significant achilles heel for Alabama when Scarborough went out of the game.  That lack of RB depth was never exposed (stressed) until last night - and it occurred at the worst possible time.
  • I can still hear the voice of Paul William (even today) when asked the question: What is the best thing about freshman?   Paul William replied: they become sophomores.  Clearly, Hurts hit the wall late in the season and never really recovered.  13/31 last night with 131 yards with 68 yards coming on one catch wasn't close to enough.  The passing game this year never really took off - mainly because it never had to.  Given Hurts mental makeup to this point in his career, it is likely he will learn from this and become a better QB but the question of depth rears its head here again - how did Alabama get to a point where it had to depend on a freshman QB?  After two consecutive years of senior QB's who both played well in the playoffs, Alabama now gets the benefit of a returning young QB with game experience.  It may be the case we are seeing Hurts where Deshaun Watson was a few years ago.
  • The Kiffin dismissal / Sarkisian promotion had no bearing on the outcome of this game given the realities noted above.
  • Something I have not seen is a box score / play by play recap of the game where you can tell the number of plays each player participated in.  In other words, I would like to see the number of snaps each Alabama defensive player was on the field for because I suspect Saban didn't go very deep substituting on the defensive end.  Given this was the closest game Alabama had all year, its obvious Alabama did not use the depth it had on the defense sufficiently in order to keep the starters fresher (longer).  As much complaining as there was about Kiffin's play calling (and rightfully so), there should be some scrutiny on the numbers of snaps played by player on the defensive side.
  • Yes, the loss sucks because of what the team was on the cusp of achieving.  However, should a remotivated and refocused Saban emerge from this, beware.

Bama's defense did a good job but needed a little more scoring help to win against a team like Clemson.  Also, remember that Bama with a healthy RB would likely have scored at least once more, enough to win.  With a QB and RB that were up to snuff, big win likely.  That's how the cookie crumbles as they say. 

Longfellow

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 07:45:36 pm
Bama's defense did a good job but needed a little more scoring help to win against a team like Clemson.  Also, remember that Bama with a healthy RB would likely have scored at least once more, enough to win.  With a QB and RB that were up to snuff, big win likely.  That's how the cookie crumbles as they say.
Monday Morning Quarterback much?

LRRandy

Scarboro was the 4th leading rusher for he season. Mostly due to early injuries. Point being there should have been trusted depth at RB. Scarboro went down in the third quarter. Clemson had kind of been bottling him up after he started so well.

Lack of depth on defense is either a talent issue ( hard to believe) or the coaches have mismanage snaps all year as to not develop depth.

Iknewthemwhen

NO, but I do on Tuesdays!     
Facts are facts, Bama nearly won it again, despite some depth and health problems.  If Watson had gone out even in the third quarter, who do you think wins that game? 

Scarbrough was averaging 6 yds a carry when he left, 16 carries for 93 yards and after going out Clemson outscored Bama 21 -7.  So I'd say that's evidence of a possibly different outcome.

Chief_Osceola™

I wonder what Sark's choice of drink was after the game.

The playcalling looked an awful lot like Kiffin's game plan against UW.

Iknewthemwhen

I agree, the play calling was iffy.  I think some was the lack of a good passing threat.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 08:46:32 pm
I agree, the play calling was iffy.  I think some was the lack of a good passing threat.

That's the downside of having a running back playing quarterback.

Iknewthemwhen

A freshman, and one with a mediocre arm shouldn't be starting at QB.  I'm like a few others, how did Bama get to that point? 

mtindian42

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 10, 2017, 07:16:32 pm

lot of folks seem to think nick Saban will take the colts job. the colts are going after him hard...I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't Singh by the end of the week. They are making him some unbelievable deals... And he would already have his franchise Qb in place. He may very well say no... But the deals the colts are reportaley throwing at him and his wife Ms terry... I doubt he dose!  We shall see...

Iknewthemwhen

You never know what motivates a person.  I lean toward no.  College and Pro is vastly different, you hold very little over a pro player, they make more, if they are the "franchise" player, you get fired first.  If they misbehave you have to put up with it.  Saban is an organizer, a guy who controls what goes on in his program.  I cannot see him going but?

mtindian42

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 09:16:56 pm
You never know what motivates a person.  I lean toward no.  College and Pro is vastly different, you hold very little over a pro player, they make more, if they are the "franchise" player, you get fired first.  If they misbehave you have to put up with it.  Saban is an organizer, a guy who controls what goes on in his program.  I cannot see him going but?
good post. He is 65 i figure if he turns this down he will retire from Alabama. The thing the NFL would have in its favor at this point is the fact he has nothing left to prove at the Colloge game... That's why I figure he will take the colts job. It's a new challenge for him...

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: mtindian42 on January 10, 2017, 09:36:45 pm
good post. He is 65 i figure if he turns this down he will retire from Alabama. The thing the NFL would have in its favor at this point is the fact he has nothing left to prove at the Colloge game... That's why I figure he will take the colts job. It's a new challenge for him...

Except that taking an NFL job could mean failure for the reasons i gave above.  I doubt Saban intends to go out remembered for losing.  That means too much risk in the NFL, and he may not want to go out of the college game on a loss.  I think he stays, wins another and then maybe calls it quits, goes into broadcasting maybe. 

mtindian42

Quote from: Iknewthemwhen on January 10, 2017, 09:54:25 pm
Except that taking an NFL job could mean failure for the reasons i gave above.  I doubt Saban intends to go out remembered for losing.  That means too much risk in the NFL, and he may not want to go out of the college game on a loss.  I think he stays, wins another and then maybe calls it quits, goes into broadcasting maybe.
colts are offering him full control of the team. He would make all the final decisions. He would run the whole show... Just as he likes it... We shall see in the coming days What all shakes out...

dc24

Just a few of my thoughts.

I think Hurts is good. He struggled last night, yes, but the truth of the matter is that I think Clemson's defense is every bit as good as Alabama's. They had a busted coverage and let them break off a couple of big runs, but that was no different than what Bama's defense allowed. They are physical and have the same type of athletes, although maybe not quite as many.

I think it's a big assumption that had Scarbrough remained healthy that Alabama would have run away with it. The other guys weren't as good as him, but he gained 52 yards on two long TD carries, so that's 41 yards on the other 14.

Honestly, I think you just saw that the SEC wasn't the league it usually is. I think Clemson played scared for the first quarter and a half. There was a pass the Renfrow kid caught over the middle for around a 9-yard gain, good play, but when he caught it, he braced for a hit and there wasn't a player within five yards of him. He slowed down and didn't gain as much as he could have.

That being said about the SEC, Alabama was extremely close to blowing the game open, but Clemson overcame some things and settled in and to me it just looked like Alabama was uncomfortable playing a close game and Clemson wasn't.

I don't want to take anything away from Clemson, but I feel like that Alabama team was a bit down and dominated a conference not quite as good as usual. Hurts should be fine though and he will get better. I agree with the posts about Alabama's defense getting tired too. I, as well, would have thought they would have had more depth.

I also think not having Kiffin hurt. Players have to make plays, yes, but going 13 games with one guy calling plays and switching to one right before the biggest game of the year can't help things. It may not hurt much, but I don't see how that's a good thing at all.

Lumberjackfan1978

It was a good game by both teams but at the end of the night Clemson was the winner and the better team just barely.

Iknewthemwhen

I didn't say Scarbrough would have made it a runawy just a win, likely.  A good QB and Scarbrough may have done the trick. Bama had next to no offense after he went out. Just a couple of big plays, the only couple of plays the QB made.  I just think he wasn't ready for that.  I agree Kiffin would have been more familiar for Hurt.s

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas