• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Outlook

Started by WPWells, December 30, 2016, 11:21:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

December 06, 2017, 01:40:26 pm #1500 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:43:31 pm by AirWarren
Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you don't know who that is then you're an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and it's recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if it's "leftovers" from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.

cuckoobird

RZback

Quote from: AirWarren on December 06, 2017, 01:40:26 pm
Surely people that know the slightest bit about football can find some positive in this guy........

1. Great record as a high school coach in 4a Texas. Including 3 state titles.
2. Great record as OC at Tulsa.
3. AMAZING record as OC at Clemson. Including bowl wins, BCS BOWL BIRTH. He also played a huge role in getting Deshawn Watson. If you don't know who that is then you're an idiot.
4. Mediocre record at SMU. HOWEVER, SMU is a Vanderbilt. With Vanderbilt standards. Also, it may be decades ago Now, but they received the DEATH PENALTY as a program and have never recuperated. And the power of Texas shifted and they could never keep up.
5. He knows the south and it's recruiting hot beds. And he is a big name in Texas. We need Texas athletes even if it's "leftovers" from other Texas schools.
6. He runs power spread. Dual threat QBs with an emphasis in a strong run game.

He is not BP and he isn't a big name hire like BB was.....but isn't he what Arkansas fans been crying about for years now....speed.....spread.....athletes......and here we are and it's not good enough.

Take a look at the top name coaches who run those offenses.
1. Mike Leach-Washington state. Why would he come here? And how is he much better than a Chad Morris.
2. Lane Kiffin- A coach that has ran with his tail tucked after one year in the SEC, has been fired from two other jobs and has turned around FIU.....FIU!!! Who do they even play, CUTTER MORNING STAR???
3. Mike Norvell- But but but he has Arkansas connections and his wife is from Arkansas. Who cares. He is a texas guy who happened to play small time ball at UCA and he married an Arkansas girl. Tell me how that screams he has some special Arkansas Connection. Never sold on him.
4. Chris Petersen- West coast guy who has a pipeline to California recruits. Not going to touch a regionally confused team like Arkansas who doesn't know if it's Midwest or Southern.
5. Kevin Sumlin- He just left TAMU. A team who recruits Houston and texas well. He cant find a QB. He never won the big game. IN TEXAS. Why would anyone want him.
6. Les Miles- Gag.
7. Mike Gundy- He has 56 players on his roster from texas, has Boone Pickens Oil Money to back him, and he is a perennial winner. Why would he leave there to come here? He has figured out the Texas pipeline and it is working for him in his offense.
8. Skip Holtz- you people gotta be kidding me.
9. Brent Venables- the main is getting paid 1.5mil$ as an assistant and he doesn't have the headache Dabo does......why ON EARTH would he attempt to inherit the dumpster fire at Arkansas?

Look, I am not overly thrilled. But we gotta give the man a chance. At least you know exciting football will be back. AND HE HAS TEXAS CONNECTIONS. We have to have Texas kids to win in the SEC.

My top choice was none of these. I thought we should have thrown the cash at Bob Stoops. But hey, who asked me.

If you really cannot find a reason for hiring some of those names on your list instead of Morris there is no reason having a discussion.  Kind of like you said if you knew anything about football you could find something to like about Morris. 

I hope the man does well because I'm sick of watching lousy Hog football.  I just think there were better choices.

WPWells

I think you just want a reason to gripe. Why don't you just shut up until he's had a chance?

RZback

Oh, my bad!  I thought this was a place to express ones opinions. 

cuckoobird

You're a troll if you have a different opinion. Liberals run this place

Ctucker

beach bum

December 06, 2017, 06:53:13 pm #1507 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:56:33 pm by beach bum
Quote from: cuckoobird on December 06, 2017, 06:01:17 pm
You're a troll if you have a different opinion. Liberals run this place

C'mon Cuckoo... We're talking about a website that consists of 95% people from small town Arkansas and that isn't exactly liberal town USA. We know I am the only one on here except for maybe zebradynasty and he is a part of the fringe Al Sharpton wing that I want no part of.... and I sure am not running this site. I am actually shocked I have not gotten a temporary ban on this place yet.

bleudog

December 06, 2017, 07:55:44 pm #1508 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:59:58 pm by bleudog
Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 05, 2017, 04:08:11 pm
Kiffin or Morris looks like.

And for the Morris guys. Yeah he seems to have improved SMU. 7-5 this year believe 4 of those wins were by 4 points or less over 3-9 teams.

I remember another coach coming in and increasing his wins totals over the first few years

2015    SMU    2–10    1–7    T–5th (West)          
2016    SMU    5– 7    3–5        5th (West)          
2017    SMU    7– 5    4–4        4th (West)    

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=7358&s=295489

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 05, 2017, 04:08:11 pm
Kiffin or Morris looks like.

And for the Morris guys. Yeah he seems to have improved SMU. 7-5 this year believe 4 of those wins were by 4 points or less over 3-9 teams.

I remember another coach coming in and increasing his wins totals over the first few years

Bobby Petrino right?

bdubyab60

I'll give him a chance. Just wanted that splash hire. He's saying the right things though

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/morris-we-like-to-score-fast/

RZback

Same here.  Program needs an AED shot to the heart. 

bigworm

I was similar to alot of people in my reaction to this hire because of my ignorance as to exactly who Coach Morris was and what he has accomplished. After doing some investigating, i think he is a great hire amd will get this program back on track. We just have to let him do his thing and support him.

nuttinbuthogs

Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.

Jacketman65

Sounds to me like you are talking about "Hanging Chads"

nuttinbuthogs

bdubyab60

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on December 07, 2017, 09:59:05 am
Morris has had a really impressive climb in the coaching profession. I'm not decided on him yet and it will take time to prove he was the right choice.

My question is why he got the job instead of a more established long time head coach.  He might wind up being a good pick but was Arkansas not able to get somebody who has more years of experience and a winning record as a head coach.

I have the same question about the new AD.  I heard him on the news say he had little to do with the hire and that the interim did that.  Why then this AD, what happened to the report that we had hired the guy from Tulsa, Gragg?  Why not either wait on the AD hire or hire an AD more quickly?

Seems like some questions about how this was all done need answered. Kinda messy.
Something came up with Gragg in vetting that they didn't like. The news channel reported to early that it was a done deal. But I do think that if Gus had accepted Gragg would have been the AD. Who knows though

The reason this was messy is they had to many irons in the fire. Interim AD, Chancellor, BOT and the money guys all conducting searches without talking to each other. Then each hired the search firm to start vetting candidates and they didn't handle that well either.

As to why we didn't go with experienced. Well we just jumped out of that boat and Morris knocked this out of the park obviously. I'm not totally happy with it but I'll give the guy a chance.

I don't think Les Miles would have worked here. He's a decent coach for sure, can't deny his record. But he's stubborn to a fault and it cost him his job even after being given a second chance.

But if you watch the interviews and pressers you can see why they went with him. Right or wrong you can see why they were swayed.

The new AD while not to involved with the hire had to be ok with it. A safe hire with no baggage like some of the other mentioned names in the search.

I do hope this is the end of all the Gus crap though and I hope we bash their brains in when we play

RZback

footballfan-tastic

The proof is in the pudding as they say.  Time to get busy fixing this mess called Hog football. 

Lionheart88

December 07, 2017, 10:29:42 pm #1519 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:36:23 pm by Lionheart88
[Moved to 2018 thread]

bleudog

Bielema blocks public disclosure of termination agreement:  CLICK HERE

urban legend2

Quote from: bleudog on December 22, 2017, 09:12:14 am
Bielema blocks public disclosure of termination agreement:  CLICK HERE
Makes you wonder...

Trojanbird

Maybe we need a special investigation!
Call your local Democrat!  :-X

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: urban legend2 on December 22, 2017, 11:12:11 am
Makes you wonder...

No big secret, he doesn't want you to know how much payoff he gets for not winning, ruining the program and not coaching for the next few years.
I'd take that deal for millions of dollars.

Lionheart88

I think "ruining the program" is a little much.  We did go to 3 bowls in his first four years, and even with the decline in year 5 we're still in a better position than the previous regime left us in.

cuckoobird

footballfan-tastic

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 23, 2017, 03:08:49 pm
I think "ruining the program" is a little much.  We did go to 3 bowls in his first four years, and even with the decline in year 5 we're still in a better position than the previous regime left us in.

I don'y think we are in better shape at all.  Fan approval is much worse, talent is not good and certainly not better.  We are on the edge of being a terrible excuse for a football program, all it will take is another real bad year and we will be a program that may never recover.  Yes, it is that bad.

RZback

Quote from: footballfan-tastic on December 24, 2017, 11:21:51 am
I don'y think we are in better shape at all.  Fan approval is much worse, talent is not good and certainly not better.  We are on the edge of being a terrible excuse for a football program, all it will take is another real bad year and we will be a program that may never recover.  Yes, it is that bad.

We are on the edge of being the worst ever. Can't afford to loose too many.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Lionheart88 on December 23, 2017, 03:08:49 pm
We are in worse shape now. At least then we still had fans in the seats. This is probably an all time low for our football program. Our fate is in the hands of this new regime.

bigworm

Nothing is ever as good as it seems. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems either.

cuckoobird

Valleysports

Y'all gettin Chavis? I might become a Hog Fan if y'all do - seriously. 

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on December 26, 2017, 07:59:53 pm
Y'all gettin Chavis? I might become a Hog Fan if y'all do - seriously.

Poor Chavis.... This will tarnish his career forever if he does. For his sake he shouldn't come lol.

RATTLER43

Big risk can become big payoff.   Take a traditional power that has been mediocre for much of past 27 years and is in the sewer now, turn them back into a power. 

RZback

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 27, 2017, 03:12:10 pm
Big risk can become big payoff.   Take a traditional power that has been mediocre for much of past 27 years and is in the sewer now, turn them back into a power.

How are you a traditional power if you have been mediocre for the past 27 years?   

RATTLER43

December 28, 2017, 11:40:59 pm #1535 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:18:21 am by RATTLER43
AP listed Hogs as 21st greatest program ever. ESPN has them at 19th.  Traditional means long established or classic.   That's how. 

I'm older.  I remember when they were really good most years.  They are just irrelevant lately.

Maybe I was too hard on their past 27 years.  Could have worded that better. But In my defense, I did say much of.

bleudog

December 29, 2017, 08:56:52 am #1536 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:48:54 pm by bleudog
ADG article on AG ruling:  CLICK HERE

HorseFeathers

So from skimming thru that 15 million for Bielema buyout ..4.6 million for long, and 2 million for Morris buyout at SMU.... Just a cool 21.6 million to make sure coaching change

bdubyab60

It's a chunk of change for sure

friscokid

December 29, 2017, 12:16:26 pm #1539 Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 12:18:39 pm by friscokid
The cost of doing business when you play with the big boys, like it or not. It's a gamble for sure and when you bust, it'll cost you dearly.

bdubyab60

I have no problem with paying to run with the big boys. That buyout was ridiculous for a coach that hadn't done anything yet. Got us to a bowl game in year two, whoopy. Extension fine. Again buyout was stupid

friscokid

True, and that's why Jeff Long is mailing out resumes right now.

Cabotfan

Quote from: friscokid on December 29, 2017, 04:49:06 pm
True, and that’s why Jeff Long is mailing out resumes right now.

No he's being paid NOT to work too!!

bdubyab60

Maybe now but he can be cutoff. He's the only one that has to try and get another job

Trojanbird

I'm just glad that both are gone!  A couple of good years of football and all will be forgotten and the program will be making money again.  Maybe most fans will even be happy!

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 29, 2017, 05:52:06 pm
Maybe now but he can be cutoff. He's the only one that has to try and get another job

If you'd just been paid 4.6 million, would you have to try and get another job?  He probably already had bills and retirement taken care of before this little bonus. Surely these guys have managed their millions so that these jobs are just hobbies.  ::)

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on December 30, 2017, 07:13:14 am
If you'd just been paid 4.6 million, would you have to try and get another job?  He probably already had bills and retirement taken care of before this little bonus. Surely these guys have managed their millions so that these jobs are just hobbies.  ::)
Its in Longs buyout. He has to try and gain employment and has to show proof or he looses said buyout. He may be set for life but if he ain't job hunting he won't get foundation money for long

Bielema on the other hand can do as much fishing/hunting/kid raising he wants. hwants

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bdubyab60 on December 30, 2017, 08:55:40 am
Its in Longs buyout. He has to try and gain employment and has to show proof or he looses said buyout. He may be set for life but if he ain't job hunting he won't get foundation money for long

Bielema on the other hand can do as much fishing/hunting/kid raising he wants. hwants

Can he turn down jobs?

And I'd love to get 4 times my annual salary for getting fired from my job...

AirWarren

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 30, 2017, 10:28:12 am
Can he turn down jobs?

Man. If I had a buyout like that, I would get fired ASAP.

bdubyab60

Quote from: HorseFeathers on December 30, 2017, 10:28:12 am
Can he turn down jobs?

I think whatever he makes we have to pay to make up the difference in The buyout

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas