• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Shopping

Started by Pantherdaddy, November 24, 2016, 07:45:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pantherdaddy

Bought a car lately?    I am currently shopping for a used (2012-2015) SUV for my family. 

I am wondering current financing rates? 

Where shall I start?  any good dealers in your town?

AirWarren

November 24, 2016, 10:42:49 am #1 Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 10:47:55 am by AirWarren
Here is a couple of suggestions. I buy a lot of cars. I have a problem.

I have had two Chevrolet Tahoes. A 1998 In high school and I got a 2005 in college. One of the best vehicles on the road. I had 85k on the 98 and it lasted to about 300k miles. My 2005 had 178k on it when I traded it. Not one problem.

My wife had had a Nissan Rogue. AWD. Good mid size. We went to the beach one year in it with 3 people in it including a 2 year old. Comfortable.

She also has had a Jeep Compass. Loaded ride. Everything you could want in it. My only gripe was the 4 cylinder. But I got home in 8 inches of snow after a night shift from Little Rock to Benton.

She had a Camry now. Those vehicles have come a long way. This car is sharp. To continue on with a Toyota, my mother in law has a Toyota Highlander. Spacious, good power, big, and plenty of options. I would get one for my wife. Or a 4Runner.

We have had a mustang convertible, a charger, a Sierra, a maxima, and I've had a RAM.

As far as financing, it all depends on credit score. My wife and I are both in the 800s. So we got great financing.

I have a new Silverado now. I bought from Bale Chevrolet. Great customer service. Free oil changed for life. Courtesy car washing. Very pleased. I did whole deal for this truck over the phone while I was at work. So I recommend Bale.

They say Fletcher, Gwatney and Everett makes good deals. We have bought from Everett before. Wasn't really pleased with their used vehicles. We had problems.

We bought 5 from Steve landers RAM and Steve Landers Toyota. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. NOT THE IMPOSTER LANDERS IN BENTON. Penske owns them and my wife had to lemon law a ride from there. Axel broke on military road in Benton after 6 service attempts to get it fixed. They also called my wife honey, sweetie and that didn't set well with her.

My mom just got a 2016 GMC Denali from Everett. LOVES IT. She had a 2007 Denali that she traded for it. Had 140k on it and no problems.

My sister had a Nissan Murano in high school. Another sporty, spacious SUV.

Hope this is helpful. Happy shopping. I love vehicles haha. Auto trader is like a drug for me.

morriltondevildog

What's good financing these days if you have good credit scores?

And if credit scores are really low , what's decent financing ?

Curious bc my son is shopping

AirWarren

Quote from: morriltondevildog on November 25, 2016, 08:12:18 am

You can get as low as 0%.

Think I got 3% on my truck? Can't remember.

Jacketman65

Quote from: AirWarren on November 25, 2016, 08:31:53 am
You can get as low as 0%.

Think I got 3% on my truck? Can't remember.
I don't finance, just cut the check.  If you can't afford it don't buy it, save your money until you can!

Kazimierz

Despite what others have said.... financing is an option. But I would only use it if necessary. If you anticipate financing a 25k vehicle with 20% down... you could take that money and purchase an late 90s 4runner or Jeep Cherokee outright. Just a thought.

Just know if you finance you need to use a real dealer or a reputable bank... not some 27% loan business.

sevenof400

Quote from: morriltondevildog on November 25, 2016, 08:12:18 am

Hard to answer this because 'good' is a relative term.  Obviously, the higher one's credit score, the better the loan offers you're likely to get. 

One idea: check around for financing before you hit the dealership so that you have a credit limit at the ready.  When I've purchased cars previously, and I've had financing in hand, I've had dealers beat that APR with a better offer.  Check with your local bank or savings and loan first.  If that doesn't reveal a decent APR, try some larger (national) banks such as Bank of America or U.S. Bank (or other such similar banks).  The larger (national) banks have frequently run some attractive APR offers.

morriltondevildog

What about leasing ?  Pros.. cons??

AirWarren

Quote from: morriltondevildog on November 28, 2016, 11:23:09 am
What about leasing ?  Pros.. cons??

I'm not a fan of leasing. I don't want someone telling me how many miles I can drive. It gets very expensive if you go over your miles.

Redwolves8526

Looking at an F150 or a Chevy. Both 2015 models, both 4 wheel drive, both 4 door. Does anyone have an unbiased opinion on what I should go with? I thought the ford had a nicer interior, but the Silverado had a smoother ride. I'm not too experienced with the newer models. Drove an old style silverado for years.

AirWarren

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on November 29, 2016, 01:48:17 pm
Looking at an F150 or a Chevy. Both 2015 models, both 4 wheel drive, both 4 door. Does anyone have an unbiased opinion on what I should go with? I thought the ford had a nicer interior, but the Silverado had a smoother ride. I'm not too experienced with the newer models. Drove an old style silverado for years.

Been more than pleased with my Silverado.

Not a fan of that aluminum garbage that the F150 is made of.

OB11

Quote from: Redwolves8526 on November 29, 2016, 01:48:17 pm

I bought a 2015 Colorado about a month after they came out and I may never drive anything but Chevy from now on.  I'd always driven Ford but wanted to try something different.  I love the Colorado.  I personally don't need a full size pick up so the smaller Colorado does everything I need.  I've got a buddy that has had both an F-150 and Silverado and he'd pick the Silverado any day. 

AirWarren

I've had 4 GM vehicles(two tahoes, a Sierra, and Silverado). Love them.

Those Colorado's are sharp.

AirWarren

Quote from: AirWarren on November 24, 2016, 11:15:04 am
I have a Silverado like this one now. Same color. Would love to fix it up like this...not enough money ha.

Mine basically.

The stock truck is basically my truck. LOVE IT.

sevenof400

Quote from: AirWarren on November 29, 2016, 01:51:38 pm
Been more than pleased with my Silverado.

Not a fan of that aluminum garbage that the F150 is made of.

I had a '98 F150 that was (I think) the last year Ford made them from steel - even the tailgate.  As the years past, and I still drove that truck, it was funny watching people open the tailgate (thinking it was aluminum) and watch the tailgate about take out their hip as they didn't realize the weight of the tail gate. 

I even started warning them but they didn't listen... Although to be fair, this was about 10 years later ...

On a more useful note, do you nave any experience with the Ford or Chevy dealer you might be working with?  While it's not the most important aspect, trust in (and of) a dealer does count for something. 

On a personal note, I have NOT purchased another Ford since that truck and while I was happy with the Ford F150, I have test driven Fords and been very unimpressed. 

I have not purchased a Chevy either but the Equinox was quite impressive - this was a rental vehicle on a vacation. 

Lions84

We been running Hyundias the past 10 years and all we done is put on tires and batterys plus general maintence.  I even got my parents to driving one.

sevenof400

I needed to buy a vehicle a bit after the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear reactor explosion / failure and if you'll recall, it wiped out Honda's supply chain for months afterward.  There was a long stretch of time that Honda lots were suitable for doughnuts in the snow....

At any rate, we decided to purchase a Hyundai too and overall we've been pretty happy.  We're now at 70K miles on that car (it was purchased new) and we'll hand this one off as a car for our youngest as she heads off to whatever life holds next. 

In 2012, Hyundai was where Honda was about 10 - 15 years before that - trying to make a name for itself in the car business. Good vehicles and reasonable prices.  I was concerned about the long term prospects of the Hyundai but so far so good. 

Definitely worth considering.

AirWarren

My wife, before we were married, had an Elantra. She said it was a good car.

There are some SUVs Hyundai make that are nice.

Lions84

My Daughter still driving our 2004 Santa Fe to college and all I have done is tires , battery and scheduled maintenance.

AirWarren

December 19, 2016, 02:10:51 pm #19 Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:33:56 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Lions84 on December 19, 2016, 01:23:51 pm
My Daughter still driving our 2004 Santa Fe to college and all I have done is tires , battery and scheduled maintenance.

Hyundai puts out a quality item I hear.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas