• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 6A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: Benton vs Pine Bluff (VOTE)

Started by Brian G, November 29, 2014, 09:04:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Who wins?

Benton
41 (61.2%)
Pine Bluff
26 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: December 06, 2014, 10:38:24 am

Brian G

saved for data

AirWarren

admorris24

gatecrasher

I won't be able to attend, only because I told my oldest daughter that if we lost to Benton that I would do something for her next Friday.

Here's your chance Zebra faithful. We're not on the other sideline. Better take advantage. ;D
Just kidding.

The Z's have the experience of playing in this game (4th appearance in six years). The game is even on paper, in my opinion.
I'll go with experience.
PB wins their first title in 19 years, although I won't be surprised one bit if Benton wins their first title in 37 years.

BHS1989

The Mighty Maroon & Gray are playing with a lot of confidence! Should be a heck of a game Friday night

admorris24

If it is anything like their game 3 weeks ago, it will be a classic.    #15 torched us last game and Harris torched them for 5 Tds.  Will be a game of big plays and the winner may be whoever has the ball last just like their last meeting.

Zebrafan4life

This our time. The Zebras will go to Little Rock and back to Pine Bluff with the championship. And the Z Pound will be right there with them. Z Pound is in the house.

DWayAlumn2002

uknowhy

As Reed from Eldorado stated, Benton has continued to improve, even through the playoffs.  The score of the Debra...sorry, Zebra game was closer than the actual game play.  And it was on PB's home field.  Benton will win this by at least 2 tds.  Bolding knows that Benton is a better team. Why else would he be cyber-stalking 17 year olds' twitter accounts and retweeting any mention of the game by Benton players?  Trying to fire up his team by using twitter is pathetic.  If PB needs to be motivated to play in the state championship game, then Benton will mercy rule them just like the other two playoff games.

zebrafan

Quote from: uknowhy on December 01, 2014, 08:16:40 am
As Reed from Eldorado stated, Benton has continued to improve, even through the playoffs.  The score of the Debra...sorry, Zebra game was closer than the actual game play.  And it was on PB's home field.  Benton will win this by at least 2 tds.  Bolding knows that Benton is a better team. Why else would he be cyber-stalking 17 year olds' twitter accounts and retweeting any mention of the game by Benton players?  Trying to fire up his team by using twitter is pathetic.  If PB needs to be motivated to play in the state championship game, then Benton will mercy rule them just like the other two playoff games.
Yeah I don't know why he's doing that..but as far as a mercy rule? Lay off the pipe at breakfast....

zebradynasty

Quote from: uknowhy on December 01, 2014, 08:16:40 am

How was the game not that close when both teams had nearly identical total yard? The good news all of this will get answered Friday. So no matter how much whinning about what's on twitter can change that. I think PB knows how to get motivated for a state championship game does Benton?

admorris24

Benton will have no problem with motivation.  Remember, we are the team that wasn't even supposed to be here.  The team only picked to finish 4th or 5th in conference.  Picked to win maybe 5 or 6 games this year at best.  A team playing for each other, their school, and their community.  So I say again motivation will not be a problem for the panthers this Friday night

NLR4Eva

Lionheart88

Playoff experience may give PB the edge here.  The seniors have finished every season in War Memorial.  Before this year, Benton's seniors had never made it past round 2.  Pine Bluff is used to playing 14 games a year and playing in title games, Benton, not as much.  Besides, it's hard to beat a good team twice, as PB proved vs ElDo last year.

zebrafan

Should be a barn burner! Hope we don't leave WMS empty handed again....

uknowhy

Tradition, playoff experience, hard to beat the same team twice....these are all worn out clichés.  As far as I can tell, Benton is the only team to have played the same teams twice (LR Parkview and ED).  Each of those games were won by mercy rule the second time after the first games were competitive.  PB does have playoff experience...their experience is losing in the championship game.

Eldorado talked smack all last week about the same worn out clichés....didn't help them much.  PB is a good team and I expect that it will be a good game.  But Benton is going for history (never been an undefeated state champion before for Benton) and no amount of rhetoric will distract them from their goal.

The Benton offense will score at least 35.  Will PB be able to keep pace?  The last game, it was only poor secondary play that even allowed PB to be close.  I certainly expect that to be corrected this game.  Stone Paul (44) is two picks away from the school record...Tim Desort (35) has a chance to be the record holder for tackles in a season....and Garrett Taylor (49) is 2 sacks away from the State record for sacks in a single season.  Every player on that defense wants these records.  Motivation will not be a problem for any of them.

Lionheart88

Cliches are cliches for a reason: because they're often true.  Not 100% of the time, but they often are.  If the team has the same kind of overconfidence that some Benton fans do, they may be in for a rude awakening.

riccoar

I wouldn't call it over confidence.  I'm a Bryant fan and really didn't know how good either team was after their tie.  But after these past 5-6 weeks, I can tell you Benton is an extremely good team and the comment about their secondary AT Pine Bluff was spot on.  That was the only thing that gave Benton trouble.

NLR4Eva

Quote from: uknowhy on December 01, 2014, 12:33:48 pm
Tradition, playoff experience, hard to beat the same team twice....these are all worn out clichés.  As far as I can tell, Benton is the only team to have played the same teams twice (LR Parkview and ED).  Each of those games were won by mercy rule the second time after the first games were competitive.  PB does have playoff experience...their experience is losing in the championship game.

Eldorado talked smack all last week about the same worn out clichés....didn't help them much.  PB is a good team and I expect that it will be a good game.  But Benton is going for history (never been an undefeated state champion before for Benton) and no amount of rhetoric will distract them from their goal.

The Benton offense will score at least 35.  Will PB be able to keep pace?  The last game, it was only poor secondary play that even allowed PB to be close.  I certainly expect that to be corrected this game.  Stone Paul (44) is two picks away from the school record...Tim Desort (35) has a chance to be the record holder for tackles in a season....and Garrett Taylor (49) is 2 sacks away from the State record for sacks in a single season.  Every player on that defense wants these records.  Motivation will not be a problem for any of them.

I remember playing against Stone Paul in 9th grade! I actually remember him playing LB, but I'll digress. He was a monster back then, and I assume he is pretty exceptional now. Definitely hard to block (but of course, not impossible by any means) from an experience standpoint ;) If Benton made the corrections to their secondary, they'll roll.

zebradynasty

How do

So far no one in 6A has been able to hold us under 30 points. I think PB not facing any good passing teams hurt us so I expect a better performance by our secondary. For Benton how much can you correct in your secondary you don't match up well with our WR's. Remember that was our SECOND string QB that led us to the comeback. #15 that really gave y'all fits....he's not our best WR heck this is his first year playing high school football if I am not mistaken! I simply do not see you shutting down all our WR's just too many playmakers. I also would not count on our starting QB to have as bad a game as he had again. He hadn't played like that since the Northside game missed a lot throws and a lot opportunities to run!

Experience losing championship games vs Experience losing...   

urban legend2

This game will look similar to the first game, but different at the same time. It still should be fairly high-scoring, but it'll be about adjustments. Benton's secondary had fits with PB's wideouts...and that was without Skelton making plays with his feet. On the flip side, Benton was able to sustain drives by making a boat load of third downs and took advantage of PB's shorter safety. Bolding has tried to remedy that some by allowing Skelton to play safety, too. So it'll come down to who has made the better adjustments. PB will score. Benton will score. Getting stops will be the name of the game in this one. Won't be about motivation at all because if you can't get up for a state title game, you have no business being there. The records won't mean a thing if they don't win because I'm sure that's the team's ultimate goal.

gatecrasher

You can tell who the new kids on the title game block are and who has been here before.

And as for El Do talking smack, when you win the hardware 4 times in five years, you can talk ish.
Common sense says we can't win it every year.

I'll go with the team that's been here before by 4.

ricepig

Tough one to call on this one. I was surprised how well Jonesboro ran it on PB, but was impressed with PB's QB and #44 on offense. It took Jonesboro a qt to adjust, and the 22-3 lead was too much. Benton has seen it live, so it shouldn't be anything new to them. I'm going with PB by one, in a shootout, 37-36.

riccoar

Don't forget Benton at one point would have been up by 20 if not for a silly meaningless penalty call on a TD.  Neutral field and no home cooking.  Benton has the best defense in 6A.  PB has the tradition of being in THE GAME.  Who studied the film, made the adjustments, and then most importantly executed them.

NLR4Eva

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 01, 2014, 02:55:38 pm

This looks like a championship game to me....

zebradynasty

Quote from: riccoar on December 02, 2014, 11:47:09 am
Don't forget Benton at one point would have been up by 20 if not for a silly meaningless penalty call on a TD.  Neutral field and no home cooking.  Benton has the best defense in 6A.  PB has the tradition of being in THE GAME.  Who studied the film, made the adjustments, and then most importantly executed them.

There was no home cooking that night. Benton received more than it's fair share of calls. Best defense that surrendered 36 points with the last ones being scored with a second team QB. Which brings us to why we put our 2nd team QB in, our starter missed at least a half dozen throws to recievers (just sailed it over their heads) that were WIDE open on short routes that would have moved the chains. Between that and not running when he had lanes to run stalled several drives. It wasn't because the defense had him locked down. For some reason he was making bad throws. Enter the second team QB all he did was accurately make the throws that were open all night. I mean you can't give up over 500 yards of offense and 36 points and claim to be a tough defense.

zebrafan

Quote from: NLR4Eva on December 02, 2014, 11:50:57 am
Quote from: zebradynasty on December 01, 2014, 02:55:38 pm

This looks like a championship game to me....
Semifinals......

ricepig

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 02, 2014, 01:24:18 pm

There was no home cooking that night. Benton received more than it's fair share of calls. Best defense that surrendered 36 points with the last ones being scored with a second team QB. Which brings us to why we put our 2nd team QB in, our starter missed at least a half dozen throws to recievers (just sailed it over their heads) that were WIDE open on short routes that would have moved the chains. Between that and not running when he had lanes to run stalled several drives. It wasn't because the defense had him locked down. For some reason he was making bad throws. Enter the second team QB all he did was accurately make the throws that were open all night. I mean you can't give up over 500 yards of offense and 36 points and claim to be a tough defense.

Yeah, I don't expect either team to break out the Steel Curtain defense, I'm not sure I've seen any high school team this year completely shut down a decent opponent. The one thing that will hurt PB is the lack of a FG kicker, sometimes you have to get some points inside the 10 yd line.

riccoar

Every team has a slight advantage playing at home.  That's what I'm alluding to.  I would think the AAA has their best refs working the championship games. 

zebradynasty

Quote from: ricepig on December 02, 2014, 02:00:45 pm

Yeah, I don't expect either team to break out the Steel Curtain defense, I'm not sure I've seen any high school team this year completely shut down a decent opponent. The one thing that will hurt PB is the lack of a FG kicker, sometimes you have to get some points inside the 10 yd line.

True had Benton missed that FG and we went to OT we would have been at a disadvantage for sure. But 4 downs to make 10 yards sometimes works well.

centralarfan

Not the biggest Benton fan. I was one of the people that doubted them the entire season. They proved me wrong every single game. So I will have to favor Benton for the Championship game by 10. I don't have any faith in the Bolding brother's coaching ability. It never fails that they can never win the big game.  Who cares how many times PBH has been to the title game. I cannot remember who lost the championship game when I was in high school. 

Lionheart88

Bolding getting to the title game 3 times in a row doesn't give you any confidence in his coaching ability?

centralarfan

No, when PBH is loaded with talent every season. I am sure if you coached PBH the results should be the same.

Lionheart88

If I was coaching we'd probably be lucky to make the playoffs, unless I made sure to hire a dream team of assistants. :)

centralarfan

+1. It will be a great game. I have eaten plenty of crow this season due to my doubts about Benton. They have had an awesome season. I just don't see it ending any other way.

uknowhy

No home cooking?!?  Benton was called for 13 penalties to PB's 7.  That doesn't sound too bad until you realize that 9 of those penalties against Benton came AT THE TIME AND AFTER Benton scored to go up what should have been 43-22.  Of course that TD was called back.  That occurred with 9:30 left in the game.  8 more penalties were called on Benton after that.

Hopefully, the championship game will be decided on the field and not by old fat men with flags.  As for your #14 backup quarterback, the only play PB had in the second half was to throw it up to 15 and 80....that accounted for at least half of PB's total yardage.  However, the only reason he had time to throw those long passes was because #49 and #91 for Benton were being held every play.  If you don't believe it, re-watch the game.  Your homerism will not allow you to see the facts or agree with anything other than your jaundiced viewpoint.  Doesn't matter....it is clear to anyone that saw the game live or watched a replay, Benton controlled the clock, the game, and the tempo.  The only thing Benton couldn't control were the Zebras with the flags.

Absolut

uknowhy

Quote from: Absolut on December 02, 2014, 06:13:53 pm
Wow uknowwhy...waiting for zd response

How is he going to respond opposite to the facts without resorting to the "uh-uh" retort?

zebrafan

Quote from: uknowhy on December 02, 2014, 05:43:45 pm

No home cooking?!?  Benton was called for 13 penalties to PB's 7.  That doesn't sound too bad until you realize that 9 of those penalties against Benton came AT THE TIME AND AFTER Benton scored to go up what should have been 43-22.  Of course that TD was called back.  That occurred with 9:30 left in the game.  8 more penalties were called on Benton after that.

Hopefully, the championship game will be decided on the field and not by old fat men with flags.  As for your #14 backup quarterback, the only play PB had in the second half was to throw it up to 15 and 80....that accounted for at least half of PB's total yardage.  However, the only reason he had time to throw those long passes was because #49 and #91 for Benton were being held every play.  If you don't believe it, re-watch the game.  Your homerism will not allow you to see the facts or agree with anything other than your jaundiced viewpoint.  Doesn't matter....it is clear to anyone that saw the game live or watched a replay, Benton controlled the clock, the game, and the tempo.  The only thing Benton couldn't control were the Zebras with the flags.
Z pound hired them....talk to them....

uknowhy

Haha......I'll be right in the middle of the Zpound if they are on the Benton side for the game.

zebrafan

Quote from: uknowhy on December 02, 2014, 07:01:10 pm
Haha......I'll be right in the middle of the Zpound if they are on the Benton side for the game.
LOL!

uknowhy

Quote from: zebrafan on December 02, 2014, 07:55:59 pm
LOL!

You think anybody is intimidated by a bunch of wannabees?......lol.  At most, you are an annoyance and subject of pity.  You do know that everybody laughs at you, right?

zebrafan

zebrafan

Quote from: uknowhy on December 02, 2014, 08:07:13 pm
LOL!

You think anybody is intimidated by a bunch of wannabees?......lol.  At most, you are an annoyance and subject of pity.  You do know that everybody laughs at you, right?
This is gold......

uknowhy

Quote from: zebrafan on December 02, 2014, 08:42:15 pm
LOL!

This is gold......

If you are not, then it doesn't apply to you.  But the statements about the Zpound are the same.  Seriously, everybody laughs about the wannabees....at least everyone from Benton and other opposing teams that I've talked to.  I'll be curious to hear from someone that actually is a member of the "Zpound"...or "loserpound" as all opposing teams refer to them as.  It really is pathetic to sit on the opposing team's side to be an annoyance....but that is typical of a town like PB...trying to make a splash to make themselves feel important when the rest of the world and state considers them insignificant.

zebrafan

Quote from: uknowhy on December 02, 2014, 08:50:20 pm
LOL!

This is gold......

If you are not, then it doesn't apply to you.  But the statements about the Zpound are the same.  Seriously, everybody laughs about the wannabees....at least everyone from Benton and other opposing teams that I've talked to.  I'll be curious to hear from someone that actually is a member of the "Zpound"...or "loserpound" as all opposing teams refer to them as.  It really is pathetic to sit on the opposing team's side to be an annoyance....but that is typical of a town like PB...trying to make a splash to make themselves feel important when the rest of the world and state considers them insignificant.
uknowhy, it looked like it was directed at me...I do not like Zpound I never will...what they do is foolish...Ive sat on the visitor for years since graduating PBHS...you are right about the annoyance/pathetic...what I dislike about your statement is "but its typical of PB"....that was uncalled for....

uknowhy

Quote from: zebrafan on December 02, 2014, 09:03:59 pm
LOL!

This is gold......

uknowhy, it looked like it was directed at me...I do not like Zpound I never will...what they do is foolish...Ive sat on the visitor for years since graduating PBHS...you are right about the annoyance/pathetic...what I dislike about your statement is "but its typical of PB"....that was uncalled for....

Glad to know you are not a member of that embarrassment.  I responded to your private message.

zebradynasty

LOL!

This is gold......

Funny how no one has heard of you until this year. Now Benton that is the new powerhouse you can't shut up! The Z-pound has been around since the 90's no matter how much whine about them I doubt it will change. But let's talk about Benton and their display of class and sportsmanship. How about your fans cheering when your player was penalized for a personal foul for targeting the head of one of our receiver. The flag that was thrown that took the touchdown off the board for Benton was for a illegal man down field WHICH HE WAS. How about when Benton kicked the game winning FG and Benton fans unlatched the gate and stormed the field with time left on the clock. Last year we kicked the game winner against GW in Greenwood NOT ONE PB FAN got on the field. I know how Benton fans hate cliches but acting like you been there before really seems appropriate! 

Zebrafan4life

For everybody that has a probl with the Z Pound and where we sit can go to ( well you know where you can go). Those sorry Benton fans just like all the other teams fans(even that Zebra fan so call) like to run their trap but when you get with them they want to run to the police. Torii Hunter Field is the home of the Zebras and we sit where we want to sit. If you got a problem with it then my partner have the game live via the internet. Chech it out there.

Brian G

Seems like a good time to caution people and suggest a more civil tongue.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas