• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Schedules

Started by MarionBlueDevil, January 13, 2014, 10:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarionBlueDevil

I know that Marion will probably always open with Wynne for the forseeable future. I've heard talk of Blytheville and Lake Hamilton making their way onto the slate as well, but nothing official on that front.

Who in 6A is playing some big-time non-league schedules?

The Future

I know scrimmages don't really count lol, but Greenwood starts the season with one against Fayetteville. Just a little teaser of how a game might go between these two teams.
Noncon games consist of away at Springdale then whichever order of the Fort Smith High 1 and Fort Smith High Other 1.

Thats all the info we got so far, but thats all we are looking at now. Goal number 1: Win game 1.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: The Future on January 14, 2014, 01:04:26 pm
I know scrimmages don't really count lol, but Greenwood starts the season with one against Fayetteville. Just a little teaser of how a game might go between these two teams.
Noncon games consist of away at Springdale then whichever order of the Fort Smith High 1 and Fort Smith High Other 1.

Thats all the info we got so far, but thats all we are looking at now. Goal number 1: Win game 1.

I actually was interested in the scrimmages. When are those generally setup?

That's a tough non-con for Greenwood, but 8-2 is probably their worst-case scenario.

AT

Alma is supposedly playing Harrison, Hot Springs Lakeside, and Springdale in non conference

The Future

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 20, 2014, 12:31:09 pm
Alma is supposedly playing Harrison, Hot Springs Lakeside, and Springdale in non conference

If this is true, Springdale will have a pretty tough noncon themselves. Opening up with apparently gonna be a new improved Greenwood team with a sour taste in their mouths and then either the next week or the week after that playing the new and improved Alma team.

Looks like either a 3-0 or 2-1 noncon for the Airedales.
Welcome to the 6A.

SouthpawSensation

I guess the only question here is what happens if Bryant wins its lawsuit and, for some strange reason, Greenwood is back into the same conference with the two Fort Smith schools.
Has Greenwood come up with a backup plan for nonconference foes in case this happens?

The Future

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 20, 2014, 03:51:53 pm

I guess the only question here is what happens if Bryant wins its lawsuit and, for some strange reason, Greenwood is back into the same conference with the two Fort Smith schools.
Has Greenwood come up with a backup plan for nonconference foes in case this happens?

Good point. I haven't heard of any.
Shiloh will be a no. Sallisaws a no. I'm sure other past teams like Poteau and Hope are a no. Maybe we could give Bennie or Harber a call?? We've played them before. At one point back during the 07 season, we were scheduled against a Tulsa school. Maybe try some schools in Oklahoma. We all know how much Jones likes playing them Okie schools.
Another possibility would be if a former 5A foe wants to step up and play us for a 2 year cycle. Camden or PA i'm sure would agree if they have an opening.
It would also depend on when the lawsuit finally gets resolved. If its real close to the season and everyone's schedules are full, we might just have to take a bye week. It wouldn't be such a bad idea for Greenwood to still be making some calls and plans just in case.
I guess worst case scenario we call Lift for Life again and have that game plus one bye week. I'm sure Greenwood's AD will make sure we have 3 noncon games.

AT

This was posted by the Airedale Nation facebook page. Not official, especially with the Bryant decision looming, but here it is:

Sept. 5 - vs. Hot Springs Lakeside
Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Sept. 26 - vs. LR Catholic (Homecoming)
Oct. 3 - vs. Siloam Springs (Spirit Night)
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Oct. 24 - vs. Russellville (Band Night)
Oct. 31 - vs. Van Buren (Senior night)
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

Looks like right now, the November Classic is back, but take it with a grain of salt.

Ouch, Bryant, Conway, and Greenwood on the road. Should be an interesting season. Definitely a challenging schedule.

7AFBFAN

That is a pretty brutal schedule.

Pr8hd

Quote from: SouthpawSensation on January 20, 2014, 03:51:53 pm

How could ANY team have contingency plans for this ?? What a mess that needs to be resolved asap...

MarionBlueDevil

2014 Marion High School schedule:

9/5- @ Wynne
9/12- Nettleton
9/19- @ Blyetheville
9/26- West Memphis
10/3- Cabot
10/10- @ Searcy
10/17- Mountain Home (Homecoming)
10/24- @ North Little Rock
10/31- Little Rock Central
11/6 or 7- @ Jonesboro

Another sign to me that Coach Uhiren isn't going anywhere. He fought hard to get out of playing Lake Hamilton non-conference. They've been replaced by Blytheville, a far more winnable game.

The Future

Here it is

Fayetteville Scrimmage  Away
Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Russellville Homecoming  Home
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

I really like this schedule. Springdale at Springdale will be a bit of a challenge. Southside returns to Smith Robinson and Greenwood goes back to Thompson Stadium. 3 very good noncon teams to get Greenwood ready for conference play.
Van Buren starting out the season is great. Get the bottom team outta the way. Russellville will be a good warmup game. Those 2 games will be Greenwood's conference practices before hosting conference test number 1 in Conway. Winner should be conference champion. Next is at Bryant. Trap game. Any other week,  Greenwood wins by 2 TDs easily, but playing Bryant right after Conway, I see somewhat of a struggle game for Greenwood. Greenwood still wins, but a sloppy win. Going to Siloam I am looking forward to. Former 5A West foes facing off again in conference. Coming home for Catholic will be a good warmup for the November Classic Return.

Greenwood has a good draw this year. Going to Van Buren and Siloam won't be a problem. At Northside and at Springdale could be a problem. At Bryant will be interesting. But having all 3 of Southside, Conway, and Alma at home will be a huge advantage for Greenwood.

As mentioned before, noone can use the weak schedule argument for Greenwood anymore. No bottomfeeders or cupcakes here.

7AFBFAN

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: The Future on January 27, 2014, 08:27:37 pm
Here it is

Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

I really like this schedule. Springdale at Springdale will be a bit of a challenge. Southside returns to Smith Robinson and Greenwood goes back to Thompson Stadium. 3 very good noncon teams to get Greenwood ready for conference play.
Van Buren starting out the season is great. Get the bottom team outta the way. Russellville will be a good warmup game. Those 2 games will be Greenwood's conference practices before hosting conference test number 1 in Conway. Winner should be conference champion. Next is at Bryant. Trap game. Any other week,  Greenwood wins by 2 TDs easily, but playing Bryant right after Conway, I see somewhat of a struggle game for Greenwood. Greenwood still wins, but a sloppy win. Going to Siloam I am looking forward to. Former 5A West foes facing off again in conference. Coming home for Catholic will be a good warmup for the November Classic Return.

Greenwood has a good draw this year. Going to Van Buren and Siloam won't be a problem. At Northside and at Springdale could be a problem. At Bryant will be interesting. But having all 3 of Southside, Conway, and Alma at home will be a huge advantage for Greenwood.

As mentioned before, noone can use the weak schedule argument for Greenwood anymore. No bottomfeeders or cupcakes here.

Dang. What does Greenwood have returning?

The Future

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on January 28, 2014, 12:13:24 am
Here it is

Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

QB: Reid Wheeler will do just fine replacing Jabe. We will also have Kyler Watson and a freshman coming up who is quite a player.
RB: Hoyt, Garnes, and Calhoun will be tough to replace. Palmer returns. All those other guys we saw plugged in at RB during the second half of most of our games. We return a lot of them. Don't know names though. This will be our main priority during offseason. We will need 4 or 5 guys we can count on and sub in and out during all of our games.
WR/DB: Yeah we are losing Rhea, Clemons, Hasley, and Moore. But we return Jones, Morgan, Bland, Collins, and Padilla. Those will be your main 5 guys.
Lines: Out of 28 OL/DL guys, only 8 were seniors. Kleinschmidt and Koch are gone, but Houston returns for one more year.
Coaches: All are back :)

Greenwood will be ready come week 1. Reid is starter. No doubt. We have our main WRs set. Lines will be good. We'll be mixin and matchin DBs and RBs through the first couple games to see whos gonna step up. And Jones has already mentioned and shown that we will be working extra hard in every aspect of everything this offseason. This Greenwood team will be something to wanna see. As much as I hate making the drive, I'm thinking about going to the Fayetteville and Springdale games.

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: The Future on January 28, 2014, 11:20:07 am
Here it is

Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

QB: Reid Wheeler will do just fine replacing Jabe. We will also have Kyler Watson and a freshman coming up who is quite a player.
RB: Hoyt, Garnes, and Calhoun will be tough to replace. Palmer returns. All those other guys we saw plugged in at RB during the second half of most of our games. We return a lot of them. Don't know names though. This will be our main priority during offseason. We will need 4 or 5 guys we can count on and sub in and out during all of our games.
WR/DB: Yeah we are losing Rhea, Clemons, Hasley, and Moore. But we return Jones, Morgan, Bland, Collins, and Padilla. Those will be your main 5 guys.
Lines: Out of 28 OL/DL guys, only 8 were seniors. Kleinschmidt and Koch are gone, but Houston returns for one more year.

Greenwood will be ready come week 1. Reid is starter. No doubt. We have our main WRs set. Lines will be good. We'll be mixin and matchin DBs and RBs through the first couple games to see whos gonna step up. And Jones has already mentioned and shown that we will be working extra hard in every aspect of everything this offseason. This Greenwood team will be something to wanna see. As much as I hate making the drive, I'm thinking about going to the Fayetteville and Springdale games.

When Greenwood sees Marion in the state title game, tell him to take it easy on us, please ;).

The Future

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on January 28, 2014, 12:03:10 pm
Here it is

Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

When Greenwood sees Marion in the state title game, tell him to take it easy on us, please ;).

Don't worry. Jones will get his 42 points in before half for the mercy rule and the second half will go by just like that. It'll be over before you know it :)

MarionBlueDevil

Quote from: The Future on January 28, 2014, 12:19:06 pm
Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on January 28, 2014, 12:03:10 pm
Here it is

Springdale Away
Southside  Home
Northside  Away
Van Buren  Away
Conway Home
Bryant  Away
Siloam Springs  Away
Catholic  Home
Alma  Home

Don't worry. Jones will get his 42 points in before half for the mercy rule and the second half will go by just like that. It'll be over before you know it :)

I'll take it!!!

I'm legitimately concerned about where Marion's wins are going to come from next fall. Mountain Home is not very good, but the Patriots won't be either.

Out of conference, I can see Marion beating Nettleton and Blyetheville, but in league play? Yikes.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on January 23, 2014, 02:51:31 pm
This was posted by the Airedale Nation facebook page. Not official, especially with the Bryant decision looming, but here it is:

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

Looks like right now, the November Classic is back, but take it with a grain of salt.

Ouch, Bryant, Conway, and Greenwood on the road. Should be an interesting season. Definitely a challenging schedule.

According to twitter...Southside vs Alma Week 1 now in Fayetteville.....cool location but tougher opponent for the Dales.

AT

Quote from: Pr8hd on February 12, 2014, 07:27:28 pm

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

According to twitter...Southside vs Alma Week 1 now in Fayetteville.....cool location but tougher opponent for the Dales.

I believe that's 2015, but maybe I heard wrong.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 12, 2014, 07:40:52 pm

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

Nope sorry, you are right Trackster, sorry I had my info wrong...did not read it completely at work when my son sent it to me.

The Future

So next season, I'm gonna have to choose between watching Greenwood vs Springdale here at Smith Robinson or making the trip up north to watch Southside and Alma???
Decisions decisions.....

Pr8hd

Quote from: The Future on February 14, 2014, 12:45:42 pm
So next season, I'm gonna have to choose between watching Greenwood vs Springdale here at Smith Robinson or making the trip up north to watch Southside and Alma???
Decisions decisions.....

No brainer....Battle of the Bulldogs River Valley Style!

AT

Quote from: Pr8hd on February 14, 2014, 07:00:39 am

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

Nope sorry, you are right Trackster, sorry I had my info wrong...did not read it completely at work when my son sent it to me.

It does make me wonder which of our non conference opponents we will have to drop and if we can make it up. I'm sure the team will understand since these Hooten things are 1 year deals every time and it's a great opportunity. I am just always curious as to how it's handled.

Pr8hd

Quote from: Almatrackster on February 17, 2014, 02:33:50 pm
Quote from: Pr8hd on February 14, 2014, 07:00:39 am

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

It does make me wonder which of our non conference opponents we will have to drop and if we can make it up. I'm sure the team will understand since these Hooten things are 1 year deals every time and it's a great opportunity. I am just always curious as to how it's handled.

Definitely, a neat deal...my .02 cents would be Springdale for a couple of reasons. Mainly, after next year Bville #2 will be ready, so that means that 7A West is going to have more teams than spots available. So, a 1 year deal for Alma this year allows them to get a 1 year deal next year till that happens and flexibility to keep a FS school as a non-conference opponent possibly. I am saying this because  I think that second Bentonville school means the FS schools get shuffled back south likely and they are replaced by the new Bville school and  the 6A sacrificial lamb, Siloam, again. Thus, leaving the magical 8 ball on the table for the 7A West yet again. FS comes back here with VB, GW and Alma (provided neither drops back due to enrollment) Russellville, Conway and a prospect to be named later. Plus, does Alma really want 2 7A non-conference teams coupled with the 7A/6A Central slate for 2015? Alma is capable and never been one to shy away from playing up, but SS, Springdale, et al on a fringe 6A school numbers wise might be a little tough especially on a highly touted group of kids that would be seniors then I think Alma expects a lot out of  (your current Soph. group that will be Seniors that cycle).

All this is a assuming, of course, that the powers that be leave the 6A chaos to go unchecked. Personally, I am for the 24 -24 format in the upper classifications, but that would mean 6 team conferences which the AAA seems to be heck bent on keeping at 8.  Funny huh, back in my day, our conference consisted of only 4 teams (VB, Alma, GW and Mena my senior year)...somewhere the AAA realized that was too few but now seem to be unwilling to downsize back to a 4 conferences of 6 teams in a classification. Sorry for the OT rant. If this all comes to fruition (the Springdale prognosis) please make sure and give me some props. Lord, knows I need all I can get...ask my wife. 

ahsalum

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

Yes.

Alma plays Poteau in the Hootens Classic at Northside this year as well.

DogsWin7

Look who's making their presence known on the 6A board already....:)

AT

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

I guess we really may be playing Poteau to open the season. I've heard Lakeside is now playing Lincoln to open their season in the Hooten's Classic.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 29, 2014, 05:21:49 pm

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

I guess we really may be playing Poteau to open the season. I've heard Lakeside is now playing Lincoln to open their season in the Hooten's Classic.

AAA site has Alma's first game being Out of State opponent at Ft Smith Northside...

AT

Quote from: HF on March 29, 2014, 07:01:07 pm

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

AAA site has Alma's first game being Out of State opponent at Ft Smith Northside...

I guess I'm more surprised at the choice of field more than anything. It is a good neutral site, though.

Poteau was a good team last year. I believe they made their classifications state semi finals if I remember correctly? Don't know what they have returning.

7AFBFAN

They were beaten in state championship. Good to see games like this coming to Fort Smith.

DogsWin7

Is it Football Time Yet!?!?!!      Sheesh it's taking forever.....Bring it on baby!!  :)

HorseFeathers

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on April 09, 2014, 01:44:07 pm
Is it Football Time Yet!?!?!!      Sheesh it's taking forever.....Bring it on baby!!  :)

I know...school isn't even out yet lol

HorseFeathers

April 13, 2014, 12:33:30 am #33 Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:39:21 pm by HF
Russellville Cyclones

Week 1 Morrilton
Week 2 @ Rogers Heritage
Week 3 Pottsville
WEek 4 @ Bryant
Week 5 @ Greenwood
Week 6 Catholic
Week 7 @ Van Buren
Week 8 @ Alma
Week 9 Conway
Week 10 Siloam Springs

Guy on 4A board has picked Pottsville to win the Week 3 game...Is that actually a realistic prediction?

ricepig

Quote from: HF on April 13, 2014, 12:33:30 am
Russellville Cyclones

Week 1 Morrilton
Week 2 @ Rogers Heritage
Week 3 Pottsville
WEek 4 @ Bryant
Week 5 @ Greenwood
Week 6 Catholic
Week 7 @ Van Buren
Week 8 @ Alma
Week 9 Conway
Week 10 Russellville

Guy on 4A board has picked Pottsville to win the Week 3 game...Is that actually a realistic prediction?

Don't know about that, but they should be able to win week #10, I hear Russellville is bad!!!!!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ricepig on April 13, 2014, 07:48:16 am
Quote from: HF on April 13, 2014, 12:33:30 am
Russellville Cyclones

Week 1 Morrilton
Week 2 @ Rogers Heritage
Week 3 Pottsville
WEek 4 @ Bryant
Week 5 @ Greenwood
Week 6 Catholic
Week 7 @ Van Buren
Week 8 @ Alma
Week 9 Conway
Week 10 Russellville

Don't know about that, but they should be able to win week #10, I hear Russellville is bad!!!!!

Whoops...

MarionBlueDevil

Alright, so we've got our schedules posted and that's real good.

But what about results? Looking back on my original post, Marion has themselves a new coach and that could change the results of some of these games.

Allow me to get the ball rolling:

@Wynne- L. Wynne is always strong and they'll likely be smarting after Marion upset them last year at Patriot Stadium. The Yellowjackets are thinking about a state title and their run will begin here.

Nettleton- W. Marion comes home to open the Jed Davis era and they reward him with his first win as Head Patriot.

@Blyetheville. W. The Chickasaws replace Lake Hamilton in this gap of the schedule and nobody is happier than Marion fans. The Patriots roar into conference play with a winning record for the first time in a long time.

West Memphis- TBD. This game is up in the air for the simple reason that we don't know what direction the Blue Devils are going to go with their new head coach. Each side will be down in talent this season after losing many of their difference-makers to graduation last season, but who has more left in the cupboard? Simply too many variables to make an informed call right now.

Cabot- L. The Panthers finished second in the state last year on the back of a large senior class, but as we've discussed, Marion lost quite a bit as well. This is still relatively early in the season so Cabot's experience should be enough to pull off a big road win.

@ Searcy- W. This is the biggest game of the year for Marion. With the new rules in place regarding 6A conference play, they can't afford to drop any games to fellow 6A teams. Marion also should have won last year's meeting but blew a 14-0 halftime lead.

Mountain Home- W. As we discussed, any 6A game is a big one. It'll be interesting to see how the Bombers look now with their new regime, but Marion usually handles Mountain Home, and especially at home. Also it's homecoming.

@North Little Rock- L. The Charging Wildcats are always loaded and this year will be no different. NLR big.

Little Rock Central- L. Not sure who Central has coming back and last year's game was close, but that took one of the biggest second half rallies in recent memory just to get close. I think the Tigers pull this one out.

@ Jonesboro- L. The Golden Hurricane just seem to have Marion's number and with seeding in the playoffs at stake, Jonesboro will be ready.

Final record- 4-5 with one undecided. 2-4 in league play with one undecided.

AT

Sept. 5 - vs. Poteau - Win - Honestly, I have no clue what Poteau has returning from a state runner up last year, so this may just be wishful thinking on my part. Call it a toss up because of lack of information.

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale - Loss - Alma hasn't got over the "beating a 7A team" hump yet outside of Van Buren. I know Springdale isn't the best 7A team in the world, but they have been on a very slight incline in level of competition recently.

Sept. 19 - @ Harrison - Win - Actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Airedales go 3-0 or 0-3 in non conference. Harrison has been a win lately for the Airedales, but the Goblins are definitely on the upswing and going to Harrison is never easy. I say a win because Alma's offense will only be better and Harrison's defense is not their strength.

Sept. 26 - vs. LR Catholic (Homecoming) - Win - If this was last year, I would probably say a loss, but after Coach Loughridge has changed the program around, I think the Airedales beat Catholic at home.

Oct. 3 - vs. Siloam Springs (Spirit Night) - Win - Like MarionBlueDevil said Searcy is the biggest game for Marion, I think this is Alma's most important game in making the playoffs. You can't afford to lose to Siloam Springs at home. I think the Airedales get the job done.

Oct. 10 - @ Bryant - Loss - Now starts the tough stretch. Bryant has athletes everywhere and is a very solid team. Plus this game being on the road, I see it as a loss.

Oct. 17 - @ Conway - Loss - An even tougher game than the one before it. I've seen people go as far as saying Conway is a state title contender this upcoming season. I hope the Airedales can get one win out of @ Bryant and @ Conway, but it's going to be extremely tough.

Oct. 24 - vs. Russellville (Band Night) - Win - Alma did lose to Russellville last year, but it was close and it was before Alma's team started clicking under Coach Loughridge. Also it's at home this year. I think Alma beats the Cyclones.

Oct. 31 - vs. Van Buren (Senior night) - Win - If @ Bryant and @ Conway wasn't physical enough for you, the Airedales then have their two biggest rivals (and two of the most bitter rivalries in the state) back to back starting this game. I think Alma having this game at home, being senior night, and owning VB as of late makes them the preseason favorite.

Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood - Loss - On the other hand...this will be Greenwood's senior night, be at Greenwood, and Greenwood has owned us as of late. The Airedales could begin to stop the bleeding from the past decade and I hope they do, but Greenwood has to be the favorite for now.

This is me looking through Green and Gold glasses probably, but I have Alma at (6-4) (4-3)

The Future

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 18, 2014, 04:04:23 pm
Sept. 5 - vs. Poteau - Win - Honestly, I have no clue what Poteau has returning from a state runner up last year, so this may just be wishful thinking on my part. Call it a toss up because of lack of information.

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale - Loss - Alma hasn't got over the "beating a 7A team" hump yet outside of Van Buren. I know Springdale isn't the best 7A team in the world, but they have been on a very slight incline in level of competition recently.

Sept. 19 - @ Harrison - Win - Actually now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Airedales go 3-0 or 0-3 in non conference. Harrison has been a win lately for the Airedales, but the Goblins are definitely on the upswing and going to Harrison is never easy. I say a win because Alma's offense will only be better and Harrison's defense is not their strength.

Sept. 26 - vs. LR Catholic (Homecoming) - Win - If this was last year, I would probably say a loss, but after Coach Loughridge has changed the program around, I think the Airedales beat Catholic at home.

Oct. 3 - vs. Siloam Springs (Spirit Night) - Win - Like MarionBlueDevil said Searcy is the biggest game for Marion, I think this is Alma's most important game in making the playoffs. You can't afford to lose to Siloam Springs at home. I think the Airedales get the job done.

Oct. 10 - @ Bryant - Loss - Now starts the tough stretch. Bryant has athletes everywhere and is a very solid team. Plus this game being on the road, I see it as a loss.

Oct. 17 - @ Conway - Loss - An even tougher game than the one before it. I've seen people go as far as saying Conway is a state title contender this upcoming season. I hope the Airedales can get one win out of @ Bryant and @ Conway, but it's going to be extremely tough.

Oct. 24 - vs. Russellville (Band Night) - Win - Alma did lose to Russellville last year, but it was close and it was before Alma's team started clicking under Coach Loughridge. Also it's at home this year. I think Alma beats the Cyclones.

Oct. 31 - vs. Van Buren (Senior night) - Win - If @ Bryant and @ Conway wasn't physical enough for you, the Airedales then have their two biggest rivals (and two of the most bitter rivalries in the state) back to back starting this game. I think Alma having this game at home, being senior night, and owning VB as of late makes them the preseason favorite.

Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood - Loss - On the other hand...this will be Greenwood's senior night, be at Greenwood, and Greenwood has owned us as of late. The Airedales could begin to stop the bleeding from the past decade and I hope they do, but Greenwood has to be the favorite for now.

This is me looking through Green and Gold glasses probably, but I have Alma at (6-4) (4-3)

Very conservative picks. 6-4 sounds pretty reasonable. I think Springdale could be a coin toss. Very winnable for Alma. Plus they might be pretty worn out from playing Greenwood the week before. Either 7-3 or 6-4 for Alma. Looking forward to the Return of the November Classic.

MarionBlueDevil

That's not bad against that slate. Good luck this year.

I'll always be down on Alma for knocking Marion out in the 2005 basketball semis. Great game. Sucks someone had to lose.

AT

Quote from: MarionBlueDevil on April 18, 2014, 11:53:06 pm

I'll always be down on Alma for knocking Marion out in the 2005 basketball semis. Great game. Sucks someone had to lose.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that was one of the best basketball games I've ever seen. Marion had a great team that year. The Airedales played out of their minds and still needed a miracle three pointer to win. That was a magical run to a state championship and jump started the basketball program.

As for football, Alma has their easiest conference games at home and their toughest conference games on the road. So when I say we need to win all our home games this year, it actually means we HAVE to win them.

Alma's offense has had a tendency to start off the year slow, but I think that could change this year. We return our QB, most of our O-line, and most of our receivers. We have to replace a stud at RB, but he won't be impossible to replace with some of the talent I saw on the bench and in 9th grade last year (remember the name Noah Dotson...beat Greenwood's 9th grade team single handily).

The defense does lose some BIG time production. We lose our two leading tacklers and best linebackers. The defensive line and secondary lose some big time contributors too. The good thing is our head coach is, in my humble opinion, one of the best defensive coaches in the state, so I don't worry too much about that.

ricepig

Quote from: Almatrackster on April 19, 2014, 09:48:01 am

I'm not exaggerating when I say that was one of the best basketball games I've ever seen. Marion had a great team that year. The Airedales played out of their minds and still needed a miracle three pointer to win. That was a magical run to a state championship and jump started the basketball program.

As for football, Alma has their easiest conference games at home and their toughest conference games on the road. So when I say we need to win all our home games this year, it actually means we HAVE to win them.

Alma's offense has had a tendency to start off the year slow, but I think that could change this year. We return our QB, most of our O-line, and most of our receivers. We have to replace a stud at RB, but he won't be impossible to replace with some of the talent I saw on the bench and in 9th grade last year (remember the name Noah Dotson...beat Greenwood's 9th grade team single handily).

The defense does lose some BIG time production. We lose our two leading tacklers and best linebackers. The defensive line and secondary lose some big time contributors too. The good thing is our head coach is, in my humble opinion, one of the best defensive coaches in the state, so I don't worry too much about that.

I wouldn't sleep on Catholic, although they did lose their best player to NLR. However, some say he may have lost some carries to a sophomore back. We've scrimmaged(sp)  them in the benefit game the last 3 or 4 years, always competitive.

MarionBlueDevil

Agree completely. Absolutely great game. I was there as a high school senior. It never occurred to me that we would lose the game. We all thought it was our destiny to win a state title that season. That was the first time we didn't get a break late in a game really that whole year. We were 14-0 in conference play.

That whole year was a great experience though.

Lionheart88

Plenty of football being played right now.  Proper football that doesn't involve half the team throwing and catching the ball and everyone stopping and catching their breath every few seconds. ;)

Anybody know anything about the South?  I assume PB is still playing WC, NLR, and someone else, but haven't heard anything official.

zebrafan

Quote from: Lionheart88 on April 19, 2014, 06:12:34 pm
Plenty of football being played right now.  Proper football that doesn't involve half the team throwing and catching the ball and everyone stopping and catching their breath every few seconds. ;)

Anybody know anything about the South?  I assume PB is still playing WC, NLR, and someone else, but haven't heard anything official.

PB non conference

FS Northside
WC
NLR (war memorial)

rona

Noah Dotson outstanding Player and is definitely a Player to watch in the future. But a really good effort by the O-Line was the difference in the Non-Conference win against Greenwood  last year. Greenwood put a thumping on the Almas 9th Grade when the Championship Game was played at end of year. Future looks like fun!

AT

Thumping? Wasn't the final score 21-16?

Pr8hd

April 20, 2014, 05:24:36 pm #47 Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 05:38:54 pm by Pr8hd
Quote from: Almatrackster on April 20, 2014, 02:47:05 pm
Thumping? Wasn't the final score 21-16?

In the final game , Greenwood did really control the conference matchup and was up by a couple of scores late in the game , got way too relaxed and Alma came back and made it way close for comfort at the end. It was too little , too late though.  Dotson was not as much as a factor as he was in the first game. In the non-conference game, he was a huge factor, there is no denying that. Unfortunately, Jr. High team success is not always a great indicator of success on the varsity level otherwise Alma would have ended the Greenwood streak against them several times over the last decade. Dotson should be a good player though, but he was a QB running QB keepers...you already have 2 QB's ahead of him in Burris and Beneaux, so where does he fit in? I do look for Alma to be competitive in 6A and improve the classification as a whole.

ATU

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

This game will be part of a doubleheader with Charleston playing Shiloh in one game.

RamFan06

Quote from: ATU on April 20, 2014, 07:09:18 pm

Sept. 12 - @ Springdale
Sept. 19 - @ Harrison
Oct. 10 - @ Bryant
Oct. 17 - @ Conway
Nov. 7 - @ Greenwood

This game will be part of a doubleheader with Charleston playing Shiloh in one game.

Lakeside does not have Alma on its schedule for September 5. It shows its first game being Sept 1 at Razorback Stadium against Lincoln.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas